Start by marking “Fishing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Fishing for Dummies

Fishing for Dummies

Make fishing easier and more rewarding every time you pick up your rod and reel No one can promise that you will catch fish all the time. For as long as we've been catching fish, fish have been outsmarting us. But there are tips and pointers that even the most seasoned anglers can pick up!

Fishing For Dummies helps you prepare for what awaits beyond the shore. From trout to
Published May 9th 2011 by For Dummies (first published April 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fishing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fishing for Dummies

Megan
Sep 06, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
focussed too much on casting etc. -- I'm into trolling on a lake. Oh well, everything else was awesome.
Philip Westcott
Jul 14, 2016 Philip Westcott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for beginner

Had information on everything, most is just general information for a true beginner. Talks about differences between rods, reels, baits, lures, rigs, stream fishing, lake fishing, freshwater and saltwater. Great read for me.
Chris
As a complete novice fisherman with only an hour or so of on-the-lake training from an experienced angler, I was baffled to go into Bass Pro and see just how much STUFF there could be for fishing. A ton of terms that made no sense. Bait out the wazoo.

This book was good for breaking down to me the different types of rods, reels, bait, rigs, etc., and a bit about how fish behave. I definitely feel like I'm not lost when I go in the store or read fishing articles.

Now, will it help me catch fish? I
Hom Sack
Jul 24, 2016 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Good to know what is needed to get started.
Laura Gilfillan
Feb 26, 2012 Laura Gilfillan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a good time reading this book. Since I am not an ice fisher, I have to wait for appropriate weather to get out on the pier, or bank, or wherever I manage to get myself near water, with pole in hand. Since that doesn't happen enough, even with nice weather, it was fun to at least be able to read about fishing. Picked up some tidbits I didn't realize too, and it inspired me to give circle hooks a try.
Brian
Jan 11, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good guide for the beginner angler, but I would have liked to have seen more information on techniques with specific types of lures and rigs. Also some tactics for common species rather than what amounts to mostly a detailed identification guide in the chapters covering the fish themselves. There is almost no information on habits of specific species.
ASV Birkenau
A reasonable introduction to the basics of fishing which helps the novice understand some of the jargon which experienced anglers tend to use and which is a barrier for the newcomer trying to work out whjat is going on. Recommended for beginners.
Mark Yoshida
Aug 06, 2012 Mark Yoshida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to fishing as a hobby, diversion, and sport. Covers pretty much everything one would need to know. Conveys some of the excitement and appeal of actually fishing.
Spencer
Jul 30, 2007 Spencer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who havent attended school
this book treats you like you dont know what a stupid pole looks like.
we are not as dumb as this book makes out
0/10000. absolute bull shit
Craig
Jun 13, 2016 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great book for beginners or those who want to try a different species/environment than what they are used to.
Terri
Oct 25, 2015 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't,t finish I took it back to library. Will by this book someday to refer e as needed.
Jill
Jul 07, 2012 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too basic so it beomes hard to decipher between useful information and just basic material.
Jesse
Jul 18, 2007 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fish; dummies
I read this book and caught seven dummies! Three were too small; threw 'em back.
PWRL
Jun 30, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Leroy
Leroy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
mel nutter
mel nutter rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Lukas Fikr
Lukas Fikr is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
daniel alfaro
daniel alfaro is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2016
Kathryn Potts
Kathryn Potts marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
brian dixon
brian dixon marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Toby
Toby marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Serge Malouin
Serge Malouin rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Amity
Amity marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
David Eaton
David Eaton marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Gerri Kreiser
Gerri Kreiser marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Dave Riddell
Dave Riddell rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Casper Morvant
Casper Morvant marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Mark Hartsock
Mark Hartsock marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hockey for Dummies
  • Baseball For Dummies
  • Golf for Dummies
  • Football for Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • The LEGO® Book
  • Cooking Basics for Dummies
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • Photography For Dummies
  • Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
  • Quiet Mind: One Minute Retreats from a Busy World
  • Hostile Takeover: How Big Money and Corruption Conquered Our Government--and How We Take It Back
  • Cool Careers For Dummies
  • Sun Tzu for Success: How to Use the Art of War to Master Challenges and Accomplish the Important Goals in Your Life
  • I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Fishing, and Photography

“Without question, the most famous book ever written about angling is The Compleat Angler published by Izaak Walton in 1653. Since” 0 likes