Start by marking “May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)” as Want to Read:
May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)

May (Daughters of the Sea #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  929 ratings  ·  76 reviews
The second book in bestselling author Kathryn Lasky's stunning foray into paranormal romance.

May feels her life drying up. The sea calls to her, but her parents forbid her from swimming. She longs for books, but her mother finds her passion for learning strange. She yearns for independence, but a persistent suitor, Rudd, wants to tame her spirited ways.

Yet after her fiftee...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Scholastic Press (first published February 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about May, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May

Dana
Easy little fun read. At first I felt as though I was going into this sequel blindly, because I don't really remember too much from the first book, but it didn't matter and when I got to the end, I had bits and pieces coming back to me. I liked May, but found her parents, especially her mother, annoying. Rudd didn't really seem to have a reason to be there, either, but I did like Hugh. I really only have two complaints, one: I wish there was a little more to the ending. I understand that there i...more
Guitar Chick
No spoilers for May, but if you haven't read Hannah you might want to move on to another review.

A beautiful sequel that's almost better than it's predecessor. May is my favorite of the DOS books and I really enjoyed it.
While I enjoyed the previous book, (Hannah) what really bothered me was the pacing. Hannah doesn't know she's a mermaid until the very very end of the book, and it left me more desperate for May (punny, I see what you did Kathryn). Here, May finds out the mermaid thing MUCH soone...more
Stacey O'Neale
This review was completed by Camille Morales, staff reviewer with the YA Fantasy Guide.

This book is about a girl named May who lives in Maine. She’s never gone swimming—her parents forbid her from it—but she really wants to, because the sea ‘calls’ to her. She’s also really smart and loves to read, but her mother (who I really hate, by the way) finds it strange and doesn’t like it. May wants to be independent. She doesn’t want to take care of her ‘sick’ mother (Did I mention I hate her?). There’...more
Kelly
May is the second in Kathryn Lasky’s Daughters of the Sea series, which tells the story of three orphaned sisters, separated as infants, who discover they are mermaids. In the previous book we met Hannah, who found her true nature while working as a maid to a wealthy family. Here we meet the second sister, May, who was adopted by a lighthouse keeper and his manipulative wife. Her parents have kept something from her, and when she is fifteen she works up the courage to learn what it is.

Compared t...more
Rebecca
Growing up as a lighthouse keeper's daughter on a small island off the coast of Maine in the late 1800s, May has always felt a bit different, and as she gets older those feelings grow stronger, as does her discontent with her life trapped on the island. Often she can't even leave the little island to go to school because her hypochondriac mother insists May needs to stay home to help her. The year she turns sixteen, May learns she was adopted - which leads to her searching for the truth about he...more
Orchid
Since I finally had a chance to read Hannah I thought I would just go ahead and read May while the first book was still fresh in my mind. I found that I enjoyed reading May a lot more.

One, if not, the main reason I enjoyed May more than Hannah would have to be that it didn't take practically the whole book for her to find out what she was (if there's one thing that annoys me about books is when it takes the whole book for the MC to figure out what the reader has known since they picked up the bo...more
Seeing Double in Neverland
For Full Review go to http://seeingdoubleinneverland.blogsp...

4 out of 5 stars

I liked May's story so much more then Hannah, and when reading May you will be glad you continued on with the story.
Aik Chien 인첸
May Plum has been constricted within the confines of the Egg Rock Lighthouse ever since she was born. Her father Edgar "Gar" Plum is a nice man who loves her dearly, but her mother Hepzibah "Zeebah" Plum is the exact opposite. Zeebah suffers from an illness - not only of the body but also of the mind. She is constantly complaining about her illness and always orders May around like a servant because she used to be ordered around by her sick mother and grandmother back when they were alive. Vicio...more
Alyssa hoffmaster
more reviews here:

I don’t read many books about historical fiction but I loved this book. May is book 2 in the daughters of the sea book. I didn’t really enjoy the first one in the series but I absolutely loved this one.

May is growing up in the 1800’s as the lighthouse daughter. The book starts out with the father finding May out in the sea and bringing her back to his wife.( By the title of series you pretty much tell that it’s a mermaid tale)

May has wan...more
Cindy
When I read Daughters of the Sea 1 I was very disappointed. I expected the focus of the book to be on mermaids and it was about a girl who shuffles around and turns at the end. Needless to say I guess I should have held on to my britches as Lasky fulfills this craving in this book.

May starts off with a new character and a completely different point of view, but this time there is a huge focus on the mermaid aspect and a few "hints" about what is to come in the series.

Some of this book backtrac...more
Jessica N.
Kudos for Lasky for finding a niche that has not been completely over-written (i.e. vampires - enough already!).
I started reading this book and was halfway through when I discovered that it was a #2 in a series. Didn't realize it - and that's a huge plus. The story held it's own. I didn't need the first book to tell me what was going on.
The premise and plot were decent. The writing not bad. But the character development was pretty flat. Zeeba was hateful and selfish; Gar was kind and tolerant; R...more
Jane
I really, really wanted to love this book. I think the series has a great premise, three separate books that link together, but, while some things have improved from the first book, Hannah, this book still has the main problems that made the first book disappointing.

First, I loved the author's descriptions of life in the sea. Beautiful. She has some wonderful prose.

What bothers me is how long these books take to get going, and then the denouement takes place in the last ten pages of the book! No...more
Phoebe
A lighthouse keeper finds baby May floating in a sea chest and takes her home to his hypochondriac wife, and May grows into a beautiful, strong, healthy young woman. Resenting May for these qualities, her foster mother makes May's life unpleasant. Then May answers the pull of the ocean one night, and discovers that she transforms into a mermaid with the touch of the water. She must keep her nightly swims a secret, and she struggles with the knowledge that she belongs fully to neither land nor se...more
Susan
This book delivers in the areas of character development, world-building, and conflict in ways its predecessor didn’t. May is a dynamic character who quickly discovers and masters her powers while still struggling with her identity and love. While the romance oozes cheese, it’s well-developed and compelling. Meanwhile, the villains multiply, the stakes get higher, and Lasky’s world expands, promising a tidal wave in the future.

Full review on my blog at: http://splinteredfragmentsoflight.blo...
Jeff Black
I like to watch movies that are based in the 1800's a lot and Kathryn Lasky brought my attention to books instead. The story seemed too short and felt as if not everything was there. I love the mother, Zeeba and her fascination to illness, or ‘complications’ as she called them. Over all it was a good enough read but no chance at being that great.
Kirsti Call
Naomi insisted that I read this although after the tedium of reading several guardians of Ga'hoole books I was skeptical. This book was obviously written as part of a series. There were too many unaswered questions. I much prefer books that can stand on their own despite having other books that are connected to it.
Janisu-chan
Loving this series! But you might want to wait for book 3 to come out (whenever that will be) before starting on this series. I love how this second book story line overlaps the first and answers many of the questions left at the end of the first. Still, so many questions waiting to be answered in the next book!
Jacquelyn
I really enjoyed this book, as well as the first book, "Hannah." The book drew me in from the beginning, and I couldn't wait to read what May would do next. I actually ended up reading this in one sitting! I couldn't put it down, and I can't wait for the next book!
Kiirsi Hellewell
This one got the story going a little faster than book 1, but for more than half the book I was extremely confused, wondering...did I just "imagine" these two books were linked in a series? Because they have nothing to do with each other. Then I realized they WERE linked, and how, and it got a little better. Still, not a lot goes on for most of this book, and once again, it ends on a cliffhanger. Fairly frustrating.

It's weird how these are supposedly YA books but have such a big font, and a cove...more
Violet
3.5

Much better than the first. The romance was much more believable, May was a much better character, the writing flowed better, and the story was much better. Altogether a better book. ;)
Brittany Perry
okay I am just falling head over hills for this series. the characters are good and diverse now we have an alcoholic father who loves his daughter and hates his hypochondriac wife who is twisted enough to break a chick's neck just to torture the main character. Then we have our main character who is more sure of herself than Hannah was from the last book. She welcomes her gift and then we have two male love interests in this book. One turns out to be a real gem and the other well lets just say h...more
Beaulah Pragg
'May' is the second book in Daughters of the Sea, a series about mermaid sisters who all washed up on different parts of the American coast and were raised to think they were human - until their yearning for the ocean causes them to discover the truth.

Having not read the first book, I was taking 'May' entirely on its own merits, of which it has many. I enjoyed the central character's voice. She was young but had a certain determination and hardness that came from being the Lighthouse Keeper's da...more
Priya (Sweet Picks)
The second book of the Daughters of the Sea quartet, features May. She was found by a lighthouse keeper after the shipwreck that killed her mother and separated her from her two sisters. She grows up on Egg rock, the same place where we saw Hannah visiting with the Hawley’s. As she grows up, she catches the eye of a young fisherman named Rudd and that of an astronomer named Hugh.

When a storm comes to Egg rock, she and her sister meet. Then they travel to the shipwreck to find who their mother wa...more
Kris at Book Wishes
May 15, 2013 Kris at Book Wishes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle Grade readers over 12, Mermaid lovers,
Recommended to Kris by: My daughter
My new passion OK OK obsession! MERMAIDS!!!!

I know lately everyone is saying overdone, just like all the vampire books. I think that is all in how you write your mermaid book. If it is done in the same old same old mermaid fashion than of course overdone!

Daughters of the Sea series is wonderfully written by author Kathryn Lasky. May has her own story, she has a missing part from her that she has a hard time finding. The journey May takes in this book is wonderful, she embarks on new adventures n...more
Cayleigh
In the second story we meet May whose family works the lighthouse in the summer vacation area of the rich, where Hannah as a servant goes each summer with the family she works for. We see little glimpses of Hannah throughout this book but the main focus is on May as she discovers what she is. Her transformation is a little quicker, which is great because as a reader we couldn’t have the same book three times. May falls in love and she meets Hannah, they go about trying to find out the circumstan...more
Isabel
Ce que j'apprecie beaucoup dans cette série, c'est que les héroines prennent leur vie en main, elles sont curieuses, savent lire, compter, et ce malgré des circonstances pas forcement evidentes (Hannah est orpheline, May a une mère qui tente de boycotter son accés à une éducation classique).

Alors que Hannah vivait en parti grace à certains personnages secondaires qui lui fournissent peu à peu des clés pour devenir elle-même, May n'a pas besoin des personnes qui l'entourent pour être elle-même....more
Luminea
In contrast to the first book of this series, I was surprised that this one had two "villain" type characters instead of one, but I have a feeling that Rudd will play a part in threatening to expose or harm all 3 of the mermaid sisters. It was hard to tell that this was set in 1899 as so much of the dialogue seemed very modern as did the activities of the people. I liked the romance between May and Hugh--it felt like it had time to develop and that they got to know one another, as opposed to Han...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
May has grown up on a small isolated island off of Main in the late 1890's. She is the daughter of a lightkeeper and a self center woman. The sea calls to her, but she is not allowed to step one foot into it.

One night a ship breaks apart on the rocks known as "The Bones" and she has the feeling that she could have done something and saved the men who were lost.

This prompts her to find out the secrets that are hidden form her, and she realizes that there is something not completely human about he...more
Salah_rose
Daughters of the sea: May is a really good book. I read it and loved it. If you have a love for mermaids and the ocean this is definitely a book for you!! It is a fantasy book about mermaids, family, and love. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy books and romance. Five star book!!!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Brittany
I love this book it reminds me of a updated version of the little Mermaid
  • The Twice Lost (Lost Voices, #3)
  • Selina Penaluna
  • The Deep (Ingo, #3)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Fury's Fire (Siren's Storm, #2)
  • Beyond the Sea (Beyond the Sea, #1)
  • Real Mermaids Don't Need High Heels (Real Mermaids, #3)
  • Tempest Revealed (Tempest, #3)
  • The Forbidden Sea
  • Fins
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides, #1)
  • Merrow
  • In Great Waters
  • The Mermaid's Mirror
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Mermaid Park
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her latest book, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book 15: The War of the Ember, was released on November 1, 2008. Guardians of Gahoo...more
More about Kathryn Lasky...
The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1) The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2) The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3) The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4) The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)