Start by marking “Ring of Seasons: Iceland--Its Culture and History” as Want to Read:
Ring of Seasons: Iceland--Its Culture and History

Ring of Seasons: Iceland--Its Culture and History

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A remote island with a rich and ancient literature. A land of hot springs and volcanoes. A country with an extraordinary history, a challenging geography and a vibrant contemporary culture. A land of ice.

In Ring of Seasons, Terry Lacy--an American who has lived in Iceland for twenty-four years-- brings both the perspective of the outsider and the familiar eye of the long-t
Published December 26th 2000 by University of Michigan Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Ring of Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ring of Seasons

Shawn
Because of the high expense of travel, it makes sense to prepare ourselves with as much knowledge and information as possible, prior to emerging ourselves into another culture. This is the reason for my reading of Terry Lacy’s informative work: Ring of Seasons.

Iceland is a very hard and challenging place to live, with relatively frequent volcanic eruptions. Iceland sits atop the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, where the tectonic plates of Europe and North America rub together. Essentially, Iceland is a lan
Samantha
A great look into the culture and history of Iceland. It's a little outdated, being published over 10 years ago, but the information in it is solid and still relevant. I loved the chapters offering a glimpse into the family's life, mostly centering on holidays and major events. The folklore chapters were really interesting as well!
Paulette
Recommended reading in preparation for our trip to Iceland in August. It's written by an American living in Iceland. She tells about history, geography, and contemporary culture. Just what I wanted.
Michael Harris
Read this in preparation for upcoming trip to Iceland. It was an easy and enjoyable read about the history, culture and people of Iceland. She made it look inviting to visit.
Alisha
Apr 02, 2012 Alisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I love Iceland and I really liked this book. Some of the history was a little dry, but the cultural chapters were fabulous. I am dying to get over there.
Susan
Lucid account starting with geologic time through the early 1990's, I am enjoying it!
Leana
A wonderful history of Iceland which presents political and cultural information about the country. Since it's written by an American who has lived in Iceland since the 1970s (and happens to be my friend), it has a nice "outsider's" perspective.
Hillary Bradburn
Hillary Bradburn marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Joy Blaser
Joy Blaser marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Brittany Goss
Brittany Goss marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Annalee
Annalee marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Mikefranklin
Mikefranklin marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Julia Dempster
Julia Dempster marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Sep 05, 2014
Aliasknitter
Aliasknitter marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014