Start by marking “The Little Book of Conspiracies: A Paranoiac's Pocket Guide” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Conspiracies: A Paranoiac's Pocket Guide

The Little Book of Conspiracies: A Paranoiac's Pocket Guide

From fake moon landings to the murder of Princess Diana to the faked death of Jim Morrison, a modern-day paranoiac has plenty of reasons to keep looking over his shoulder. According to one survey, two percent of Americans indicate that they have been abducted by aliens. That's five million people right there. Why are they keeping silent? Who is holding back on the explanat ...more
Published September 12th 2005 by Running Press (first published July 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Conspiracies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Conspiracies

Jamii
Nov 28, 2016 Jamii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little read. I always enjoy hearing the different theories on happenings of the world. This book gives you a well formatted good little taste of that. You get a brief info of the particular theory, then the theorists point of view, the official point of view and finally a brief estimation of just how concerned you should be with that particular theory.
Oct 01, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greatreads
It dispells many common theories and backs up what we already know. But it also gives new information along with the probability that the conspiracy is true. You will be surprised by much of what you read!
Caroline Liddle
Shows both the theorists and official line and a conclusion, Not a bad read, I even learn't that something I thought was true was a twaddle. Passing this to my dad, then keeping for younger members of the family when they have questions.
Bob Hartley
The blurb on the back says: "Harmless paranoia, or 50 reasons why they're really out to get us? You decide." You don't need to decide, though, because every theory (hypothesis is the right word I think) presented is lain out in sections: a synopsis, "what the theorists say", "the official line", and "How paranoid should you be?" with a perentage and the author's reasoning. One of the hypotheses gets a 6% while another gets 0%. How do you discern 6 hundredths of reasonability? That's the mindblow ...more
Daniel Louro
Funny little book, but works better as a consulting thing rather than read all the way through.
BGP
Dec 28, 2010 BGP rated it did not like it
Conspiracies. They're everywhere!

As a good skeptic, I naturally take great pleasure in plumbing the depths of each and every semi-popular tinfoiler conspiracy to make its way across both web and town. Consequently, when I saw this little volume on remainder for less than a cup of coffee, I simply couldn't keep myself from buying it. In retrospect, I should have just saved my loose change for another drink.

While the book is, in and of itself, mostly enjoyable, Levy's primary source is Wikipedia
Megan
May 26, 2012 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book the 3.5 I feel it deserves. Definitely better than a three, not quite a four.

This is the better of several conspiracy books I've read. The book is broken into four subjects including famous deaths and supernatural events. Each of the fifty theories is described in three paragraph: what the conspiracy theorists think, what the other side [or "they"] think, and how "paranoid" the author thinks the reader should be.

In all, this was a fast and enjoyable little read. De
DB
Jun 23, 2009 DB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Your taste of this book might be best described in terms of how you set your expectations. If you're looking for new insights or in-depth analysis of the 50 theories the book covers, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a concise summary of the 50 theories from both supporters' and dectractors' points of view, then I'd say browse the topic list and decide if it's worth adding to your shelves. There's little here that you can't get from wikipedia, but the brevity of the entries makes it a handy ...more
Heather Browning
A quick look at some of the popular conspiracy theories, presenting the arguments from each side and finishing with a summary, including a percentage representation of how likely they judge it to be true. Nothing in-depth, but an interesting introduction to the variety of what people will believe or claim, and filled in some details for me in some theories I've heard about before.
David Brzezinski
Feb 27, 2012 David Brzezinski rated it really liked it
An interesting read with each entry boiled down to the basics (a primer, the theorist stance, the official stance, and "How paranoid should you be"). By no means the end all and be all of conspiracy theory books, but a decent starting point for those who do show some interest in such subjects.
Devin
Jan 13, 2008 Devin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining little book that debunks or confirms many popular conspiracy theories. I was pleased to find that, as a member of the Religious Right (in voting, not in formal membership), I am included amongst these vast conspiracies (p. 45-47). I'll try not to let my power go to my head.
Esra'a
Jan 09, 2013 Esra'a rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ditched
The facts in this book are questionable. When I checked the sources he used, WIKIPEDIA was one of them!!! Couldn't finish it.
J.M.
Apr 19, 2009 J.M. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a fun book to read. I really enjoyed it.
Gord
Jun 05, 2010 Gord rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, politics
A fairly trite, quick run-through of a pile of conspiracies. Nothing new is presented and there's definitely no depth to any of the entries. Fun to have, but don't go out of your way to get it.
Patrick
Jan 01, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A useful summation of conspiracies. I was surprised to discover a few I was previously unaware of and now will research, notably the Bohemian Grove.
Rob Hernandez
Apr 09, 2012 Rob Hernandez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not impressed with this book at all. It may have been a conspiracy to force me to waist 6hrs of my life :(
Jessica Christian
Nov 06, 2015 Jessica Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book
Jessie B.
An interesting review of the most popular conspiracy theories, it definitely has it's own set of biases but it does offer decent summaries and tends to be fairly reasonable in its arguments.
Jazz
Jazz rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2012
Rhonda
Feb 14, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting. I wasn't impressed by the author's debunking. I have my own thoughts.
Matt Butchart
Matt Butchart rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Līva_
Līva_ rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Brian Cronin
Brian Cronin rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
John somers
John somers rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Stephanie Lomani
Stephanie Lomani rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Spencer Tompkins
Spencer Tompkins rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2007
TheOnyxx
TheOnyxx rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2015
Canis Lupus
Canis Lupus rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • Daily Sex: 365 Positions and Activities for a Year of Great Sex!
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex
  • The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques 	  Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques
  • Ideas of the Great Philosophers
  • Uncle John's Third Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #3)
  • Gonzo
  • The Columbia History of the World
  • Lucy's Bones, Sacred Stones & Einstein's Brain : The Remarkable Stories Behind the Great Objects and Artifacts of History from Antiquity to The Modern Era
  • Introduction to the History of Christianity
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • Reporting World War II Vol. 1: American Journalism 1938-1944
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • Which President Killed a Man?
  • Pirate Utopias: Moorish Corsairs & European Renegadoes
Joel Levy is a writer and journalist specializing in science and history. He is the author of over a dozen books, including The Little Book of Conspiracies and Scientific Feuds: From Galileo to the Human Genome Project. PHOBIAPEDIA is his first book for children.
More about Joel Levy...