Start by marking “The Dead Place (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #6)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Dead Place

Stephen Booth

The Dead Place (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry #6)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  54 reviews
“This killing will be a model of perfection. An accomplishment to be proud of. And it could be tonight or maybe next week. But it will be soon. I promise.”

The anonymous phone calls indicate a disturbed mind with an unnatural passion for death. Cooper and Fry are hoping against hope that the caller is just a harmless crank having some sick fun. But the clues woven through h
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Place

Samantha
Nov 16, 2008 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
A good, but not a great, book.

For me, the only real reason I read these books is because I simply adore the character of Det. Constable Ben Cooper. I don't know, maybe I'm just a sucker for small town English boys who like history, are polite to a fault, have a keen sense of justice, recognize their own shortcomings, and have a cat.

If I was going to have an imaginary boyfriend, Ben Cooper would be it.

That being said, the overall story is a pretty good mystery, although, for once, I guessed who t
Priya
Originally posted here: http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot....

The last time I was this addicted to a book series was Harry Potter, and considering the Potter-fanatic that I am, that's saying something. The thing I love the most about these Cooper and Fry books, which may be classified as police procedural, is that they are all about the characters. Like Stephen King, Booth manages to dive right into people's minds and build true to life characters. You don't always like them nor agree with the
Barbara Mitchell
I thought I had read a book in this series before but when I checked, I didn't see Booth's name on my list. Must have been several years ago, or I've just heard so much about the series that I was mistaken. This Cooper and Fry series is popular and successful of course, but I was a bit disappointed with this particular story,

First, Cooper and Fry. I do like Cooper. He's a thinker, compassionate toward people and animals, has a good detective's intuition, and seems easy to get along with. Fry, on
D'eBook  Sharing
*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I haven’t read a proper crime novel in a long time so was a little dubious as to whether I’d actually enjoy this story. I was pleasantly surprised to find that although I wasn’t as enthralled as I am by the Paranormal Fiction/Romance genre, I was drawn in by the mystery and suspense.

Have you ever sat and watched the likes of “Midsomer Murders” or “Inspector Morse”? Well, for me, this book is just as good as those tv series. I’d als
Up All Night Book Addict
This was another long read for me. I think this book seemed a little longer than it actually was because I found myself rereading parts at times. Now, don't take that the wrong way. I wasn't rereading them because I didn't understand them. I had to go back to reread certain parts because I thought I missed something I should have picked up on. Now, in my book, that is a good thing.

This is unique to me because I haven't really read many books like this. Now, I have never read any of the other boo
Clare O'Beara

The rugged, isolating mountains of the Peak District are again the setting for police detectives Ben Cooper and Diane Fry. This author writes quality books, dripping with cold, wet details.

A skeletal set of remains is discovered in woods, but the woman has not been reported missing. A weirdo phones the cop-shop from a village call-box to rant about killing. A woman, having worked late, is followed through a multi-storey car park. DS Fry leaves the more usual murder, where a council house man ba
Shireen
I read recently that this series featuring Diane Fry and Ben Cooper, two police detectives in Derbyshire, England, is popular in Canada. It's nice to know I'm amongst much company. But I'm not surprised. This is British to the core but not in a stereotypical way. Instead the characters are nuanced, they grow from book to book, they create conflict through their personality quirks and because of their past history. There is never a dull moment in any of these books so far, including The Dead Plac ...more
Ian Mapp
Maddy
RATING: 3.25

Although not given to pursuing wild goose chases, Detective Sergeant Diane Fry is spending a lot of time trying to nail down the disturbed individual who is making anonymous calls with promises of murders to come, and providing intellectually obscure clues that have to do with "the dead place", a location which means something to the caller but is maddeningly hidden to the police.

At the same time, Detective Constable Ben Cooper is following the threads of another mystery and trying t
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
My latest read in the Cooper/Fry series by Stephen Booth and so far, I have loved this series. This one however, was the weakest link. I think he is still doing great work on the characters stories and the relationship between Ben Cooper and Diane Fry, but the plot here was not as good as previous books. The dialogue was once again peppered with some great wit and humor, I particularly love the Gavin Murfin character. His love of food is legendary and hilarious. This story was centered on the di ...more
Andrea
Wonderful descriptive detail gives an atmosphere that is dark and chilling. Detective Diane Fry is a character who appears to be deeply psychologically affected by the calls and who finds herself fixated on finding the threatening caller. DC Ben Cooper finds himself dealing with death in ways very personal to him.

In depth characterization gives you a good sense of what makes these two tick and brings about an interest in learning more about them. Cooper appears to be a smart and caring detectiv
Spuddie
#6 DC Ben Cooper and DS Diane Fry mystery set in the Peak District of England. Once again, two cases end up tangled together. A strange caller rambles on about death, looking for 'the dead place,' quoting poetry and literary sources and makes it known how special they think the moment of death is. The call is made with a voice changer, and calls are made from public phones, often in the vicinity of where a funeral is taking place. And they promise that a death is coming. Is this a funeral home e ...more
Twin Opinions
I fell like this book kind of let me down. Not near as good as the other books in this series and I was disappointed.

This was much slower paced and to me Cooper and Fry are growing apart not together. I keep hoping they will end up together but they don't. I love the creepy phone messages, it was a new twist to the 2 crimes connecting theme Booth has going on.

Booth is an excellent crime writer but this is not his best. But Overall still a good read in the Cooper Fry Series!
Ashley
The plot was more complex than in previous books. Too many characters/threads of story line to keep straight in my mind. I had to go back and reread about 100 pages trying to figure out where one specific location came into play. At the end I had to read slowly and thoroughly to understand how everything fit together. It was more work than I care for. Still, I love this series and can't wait to start the next one!
Karen H
A real who done it

This was probably the best of Booths stories I've yet to read. It kept you guessing right up to the end. And he managed to bring a little humanity to Diane Fry for once, although he continues to portray her as a total bitch.
All in all a good book.
Carol Jean
Very involving. Scary yet subtle, with the crazy nicely linked to the lives and activities of the characters. Fry seems to be softening a bit and Cooper seems to be toughening up. I like that they are achieving a balance, at long last, so I don't have to go over to England and give Fry a talking to!
Janet
If you're in the mood to learn arcane details about funeral rituals and what happens to the body after death, read this book. If your hair stands on end at the idea, stay away. Another strong entry in the Fry/Cooper series, this book has everything you expect from Booth--an intricate plot, mordant humor and tense exchanges between Diane Fry and Ben Cooper. I like Booth's writing because it is descriptive and takes the time necessary to build up a picture of place, detail by detail. I also think ...more
Katherine
Someone is calling the Derbyshire police and leaving strange and threatening messages. Diane Fry takes the messages very seriously. There is a very disturbed person at the other end of the line.
Martha
I seriously just want to live in this setting--minus the dead bodies and nut jobs, of course. I loved the names of the four hounds, and laughed aloud at Murfin's "crème de la crem" joke.
Jewels
Given 3 stars as it was difficult for me to read because of the subject matter, good plot though.
Irene Dreger
Although I really enjoyed the locale of this book as I had been there on a holiday, I really didn't enjoy the mystery that much.
Don't think I would try another in the series.
Jmcrossfl
Another great book by Stephen Booth!
Susan Gaska
3 1/2 stars. Very good.
Saul Mcintyre
If you've ever read one of Booth's detective series set in the Peak District then you'll know what to expect with this one. Nicely atmospheric although the two main protagonists are beginning to get a bit boring - just screw for pity's sake!!!

This one had advantages over other in the series in that some of the locations were very familiar to me, Litton, Monsal Head, Wardlow Mires etc which added to my enjoyment. All in all a fun whodunnit that kept me gripped til the end.
Steve Gillway
A good tempo, a good range of characters a good read.
Nikki
Once I discovered Stephen Booth's mysteries I had to read them all. Cooper, the local guy, and Fry, the woman police officer "from away," team up rather awkwardly at times in these police procedurals set in the Peak District of England. Plot does not seem to take second place to setting and characters, even though that would be easy to forgive since the latter elements are so good. In this entry in the series, they investigate a killer who leaves eerie phone messages.
Jill Hutchinson
Not one of my favorite Booth books in the Fry/Cooper series. There is so much going on and the reader is never sure exactly where it is leading.......bodies found in the woods, cremations gone wrong, professors obsessed with death, murders that aren't really murders. It is tied up neatly at the end but still left me wondering exactly what happened and why. I like this series in which the stories are dark and twisted but wasn't as engaged with this entry.
Nick
Booth continues to write thrillers that are riveting without being grisly. His greatest strengths continue to be characters that you genuinely care about and a vivid Derbyshire landscape that is practically a character in its own right. I was a bit worried he was losing his edge in "One Last Breath," the book before this one, but "The Dead Place" is just as good as the earlier ones that got me hooked on him and his characters.
George
Mar 24, 2007 George rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Sixth in the Booth Peak District mystery series featuring detectives Diane Fry and Ben Cooper. The story revolves around body snatching and a mysterious caller leaving messages about death with the police.

Long and takes a while to unravel, but engrossing reading. As usual the relationship between Fry and Cooper leaves a lot to be desired as one senses a stronger connection between them which does not develop from novel to novel.
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • Hidden Depths (Vera Stanhope, #3)
  • Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2)
  • Winter Frost (Inspector Frost, #5)
  • Lazybones (Tom Thorne, #3)
  • The Vows of Silence (Simon Serailler, #4)
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • The Take (DI Joe Faraday, #2)
A former newspaper journalist, Stephen Booth is the creator of two young Derbyshire police detectives, DS Ben Cooper and DS Diane Fry, who have so far appeared in 13 crime novels, all set in and around England's Peak District.

The Cooper & Fry series has won awards on both sides of the Atlantic, and Detective Constable Cooper has been a finalist for the Sherlock Award for the Best Detective cr
More about Stephen Booth...
Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1) Blood on the Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3) Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2) Blind To The Bones (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #4) Dying to Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)