Start by marking “Vast” as Want to Read:
Vast
Preview

Vast (The Nanotech Succession #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Aboard "Null Boundary," a giant starship thousands of years old, four survivors of an ancient alien war are making a desperate journey: Lot, son of a fiery prophet and carrier of an insidious virus that spreads a cultlike religious mania among those it infects; Urban, Lot's boyhood friend from the city of Silk, and a man in search of challenge and adventure; Clemantine, ca ...more
Published August 3rd 1998 by Bantam Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Vast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vast

Divergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothUglies by Scott WesterfeldThe Host by Stephenie MeyerDelirium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books About Nanotechnology
96th out of 164 books — 701 voters
Glasshouse by Charles StrossConsider Phlebas by Iain M. BanksThe Player of Games by Iain M. BanksAltered Carbon by Richard K. MorganRevelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
Books that Inspired Eclipse Phase
79th out of 102 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Tomislav
This book is one in a very loosely related sequence. #3 and #4 share characters and plot concepts, so those should be read in order. The order of the others doesn't really matter.
1) Tech-Heaven (1995)
2) The Bohr Maker (1995)
3) Deception Well (1997)
4) Vast (1998)

The book started well, giving some explanations for what had happened in the previous volume, and re-establishing the universe in a more easily comprehended way. Four post-human incarnations from Deception Well (Lot, Urban, Clemantine, N
Cameron Dadd
If this had been much larger, or had visited more ideas, places, and thoughts, this would have perhaps been worth reading again. As it was I found myself bored by the book.

It's okay because it at least attempted to explain itself.
Rusty
Linda Nagata's, Vast, was another of those 'big idea' sort of novels that always draw me in. Part of the reason I can never turn one of these stories down is that I truly believe that one can't be a dummy and write something like this that is crammed full of philosophical and scientific questions. I like reading what smart people have to say about stuff.

Well, Ms. Nagata must be very smart, because she wrote a heady book here. I'm not entirely sure of it's publication history, but I believe this
Eddie Novak
This is the type of book I would normally give 5 stars to without question or hesitation. Some of my own shortcomings ruined the experience for me though. Biology has always been a weak subject for me and ecology I just don't know enough about. These subjects do fascinate me, but in order to enjoy a book I need to visualize it and I'm terrible in that department. So there was a disconnect between being in awe of the ideas presented and trying to visualize them.

This book is a lovely, well written
Tamahome
Mar 20, 2014 Tamahome marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
(io9 post about aliens) "The Chenzeme get my vote. The starship pursuit that comprises the first half of Vast is the most relentlessly weird thing I ever read."

"Definitely an exciting, imaginative, weird novel. Recommended." -- Bryan
Chris
I started reading this expecting a standard "space opera" type novel, but got something different and weirder (in a good way!) A lot of the plot involves the crew of the "Null Boundary" fleeing from a "Chenzeme" ship and their subsequent attempts to locate where these ships are coming from.

I was hesitant to start with "Vast" because there are a few books that come before it, but I had no trouble understanding what was going on. Highly recommended for fans of Alastair Reynolds/Vernor Vinge type s
Andreas
These three very loosely connected novels span thousand of years. Nagata writes competently about a future in which humanity is first technologically lifting itself off earth, and finally scattered about a hostile universe. I enjoyed them even though Nagata does two things which annoy me. The first is that the novels are in parts rather boring. Nothing much happens. The other thing is that she can be very depressing. Vast especially makes me feel just a bit too small in a vast (heh) universe.

htt
Robert Boyd
As in a lot of hard science fiction, the characters here were very weak. Instead of being cliches or stock characters, however, they seemed like motiveless characters. I look to hard science fiction for interesting ideas based on scientific speculation. I don't expect beautiful writing or brilliantly conceived characters, but in Nagata's case, the characters were positively boring and made it hard to get involved with the story.
Dina
I thought this book was really interesting. I hadn't realized that there were other books that came before, but I don't think it detracted from my reading of it that much. The characters, with their varying interpretations of humanity, interacted in what I found to be believable ways.
William
So many concepts, MY BRAIN.
I'll probably read this again in a few months so I can fully take it all in.
Jerico
Great medium-hard, transhumanist space opera. Rather underrated author, for some reason or another.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Lisa Warner
Lisa Warner marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Richard Reid
Richard Reid marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
radiobody
radiobody marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Vettius29
Vettius29 marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Rebecca Larson
Rebecca Larson marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Sarah Rizk
Sarah Rizk marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Contrarius
Contrarius marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • Bloom
  • The Well of Stars (Marrow, #2)
  • Finity
  • Superluminal
  • Angel Stations
  • The Golden Globe
  • Eternal Light (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #3)
  • Wheelers
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Iterations
  • Salt
  • Falling Out of Cars
  • Maximum Ice
  • The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)
  • The Andre Norton Megapack
  • Mars Crossing
  • Aristoi
  • Counting Heads (Counting Heads, #1)
Linda Nagata grew up in a rented beach house on the north shore of Oahu. She graduated from the University of Hawaii with a degree in zoology and worked for a time at Haleakala National Park on the island of Maui. She has been a writer, a mom, a programmer of database-driven websites, and lately a publisher and book designer. She is the author of eight novels including The Bohr Maker, winner of th ...more
More about Linda Nagata...

The Nanotech Succession (3 books)
  • The Bohr Maker