Memory

Memory

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Acclaimed hard-SF author Linda Nagata introduces a new world, where the sky is bisected by an arch of light, and the mysterious "silver" rises from the ground each night to completely transform the landscape--and erase from existence anything it touches.

Young Jubilee is devastated when her brother Jolly is taken by the silver. But when a forbidding stranger with the power...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published 2003)

Sarah (Tail-Kinker)
The only thing keeping me from choosing 4 instead of a 3 was the ending--too abrupt, even with a short epilogue. Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

The concept of the silver is what intrigued me to pick this up used at a March of Dimes fundraiser and I was happily surprised by how quickly it sucked me in.

The world Jubilee lives in is inhabited by human-like "players" who share their ring-shaped world with a strange substance called "silver" which some believe to be the leftover remnants of...more
Lisa Grabenstetter
In the end, the big reveal was perhaps a little less revealing than I would've liked. But again, it worked plot-wise, and it probably would've seemed extremely forced to reveal everything—there's no way the characters would have understood any of it, their paradigm is so much different, and there are a number of things I feel I can safely infer from my standpoint that the main character has no basis for. It's essentially an SF secret to a fantasy world, which I can certainly appreciate.

The cove...more
Rachel Brown
Jubilee lives in a strikingly bizarre world, in which silver mist arises from the earth to kill living beings, remake non-living matter, and bring random buildings and even entire empty cities back from the past. Because the “silver” tends to destroy written records, the people are very vague and confused about their history, though they have a high degree of poorly-understood technology. They also have some extremely odd customs regarding sex and love – people can only marry (or, apparently, ha...more
Justin Howe
You know I'll probably bump this down to 4-stars after the rush of reading it fades, but until then holy crap was this a great book!

Young Jubilee lives in a world where floods of "silver" (malfunctioning nanotech) reshape the world every night. Stability can only be found on hill top settlements. When a silver flood claims her brother, she assumes he is lost forever, but then, seven years later, a stranger arrives searching for him.

If you like your SF to take you to strange and weird worlds, t...more
Peter
On Jubilee's world, there is the silver, that rises on some nights over the land, covering everything not specially protected. For structures and tools, the silver sometimes leaves them alone, sometimes wipes them away, and sometimes returns buildings or items from the distant past. For living things, though, being swallowed by the silver is a death sentence. Jubilee's brother Jolly was taken by the silver as a youth, in front of her eyes. Years later, she meets somebody who can survive the silv...more
James Kemp
I very much enjoyed this and there is a real sense of both the characters and the setting developing over the course of the story. The back cover blurb describes it thus:

"A quest, a puzzle, and multiple lives: On an artificial world with a forgotten past, floods of "silver" rise in the night like fog, rewriting the landscape and consuming those caught in its cold mists. Seventeen-year-old Jubilee knows that no one ever returns from the silver--but then a forbidding stranger appears, asking after...more
Jessica
Jubilee is a rambunctious child in a dangerous world, but her childhood is cut short when her brother, Jolly, is taken by the silver. The silver is by nature unpredictable. Sometimes it creates, sometimes it destroys, but it is always deadly to the players it touches. That's why she's so disturbed when, just before being taken, her brother tells her that he called the silver. Years later, a stranger appears out of the silver looking for Jolly. But no one can survive in the silver, and Jolly was...more
Morgan
Jun 05, 2008 Morgan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scifi, Fantasy, MMORPG fans
Lia
This splendid tale - a mix of fantasy and science fiction - is the first I've read by Nagata. I will certainly be seeking out more of her work. An alien, yet recognizably human humanity is at play within this story. Whether or not Earth is in the distant past of this society is not mentioned, so it may be a far-future tale, or merely an alien one. It hardly matters. Aside from the drama of emotion, morals, & memory, the technology that is obviously left over from the beginnings of the world...more
Matti Tornio
Intriguing concept and world-building. Too bad the concept falls flat in the second half of the book.
branewurms
It was somewhat unnecessarily repetitive and I don't know how I feel about that whole "one lover for each person throughout all lifetimes" thing, but it was intriguing and eerie and had a lovely sense of wonder to it, and I really enjoyed it. A little mystified as to why it keeps getting referred to as hard SF in the blurbs, though - as far as my interpretation goes, it was science fantasy.
Mattias Winther
This was a trollbinding story that kept me churning through the pages like few others. The worldbuilding is amazing, and I loved being introduced to strange new and wonderful concepts, both big and small. Had it not been for a horrible ending to it, this would definitely have received 4 or even 5 stars... But unfortunately, the resolution left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Shame!
Terry
Jubilee's life changes when her brother, Jolly, is taken by the "silver" which is the memory of the world and the creative force that both sustains and destroys. Jubilee must contend with a rogue player who can control the silver and with the gods who created the world and prevent it from reaching its potential.
Joanna
This seems to be a novel where the characters are actually based on some sort of video game, although not on a particular game. It's like she wanted to write a narrative from the perspective of a video game character. I enjoyed it, if only because the female protagonist is very realistic and likable.
Esmë
This book is set in a wonderfully imaginative world, with a fascinating plot line. However, the end was way too abrupt and inconclusive. I was quite disappointed. One of those books you would really enjoy if you read to create the scenery in your mind. Not for people who need closure.
Parallax
It's a satisfying road trip adventure story, but it read less as scifi and more of a blend of scifi and fantasy. I was also expecting a different, or perhaps more of, an explanation of the nature of silver than the one I got.

I liked the book's treatment of reincarnation and memory.
Steven Kjar
This was a great book. It kind of took my from fantasy to science fiction. The way the main character act is like she is in a dream. The whole world is very dream like. I like it though.
Ken-ichi
Another long-ago read. All I remember is the Silver. I think I might have enjoyed the writing too.
Connie
I could re-read this. A lot was happening that I think I missed.
JHG Hendriks
An other excellent thought provoking story.
Joshua Gillespie
Joshua Gillespie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Linda Nagata grew up in a rented beach house on the north shore of Oahu. She graduated from the University of Hawaii with a degree in zoology and worked for a time at Haleakala National Park on the island of Maui. She has been a writer, a mom, a programmer of database-driven websites, and lately a publisher and book designer. She is the author of eight novels including The Bohr Maker, winner of th...more
More about Linda Nagata...
The Bohr Maker Vast Limit of Vision The Red: First Light Deception Well