Start by marking “The Nature of Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Nature of Happiness

The Nature of Happiness

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
What is happiness? Here, one of the world’s foremost behavioral scientists tackles this age-old question. He shows that there are many ways of achieving happiness; for example, there is the inherent happiness that comes with the love of a child; the competitive happiness of triumphing over your opponents; the sensual happiness of the hedonist. Rather than preaching a parti ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Little Books (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Nature of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nature of Happiness

Essam Munir
May 07, 2016 Essam Munir rated it really liked it
"For those wishing to increase their score on the happiness scale, the best answer is to refuse to accept that there is only one kind of happiness, and instead to re-examine alternative sources of happiness that are available to them. There may be a rich vein of happiness to be found in some area of life that has never even occurred to them."

"Sadly, for many law-abiding citizens who have never been in jail, life can be almost as boring. Their daily work-tasks are so repetitive and unimaginative
Mangoo
Jan 25, 2012 Mangoo rated it liked it
Demistification of idols, and at the same time simplistic justifications of human behavior. This is what Morris has to offer to his readers with his humble-toned and well-crafted books inspired from his background in anthropology. In this at times mechanistic rationalization of sort, all seems to be deriving from our ancestors' traits and habits as forged by evolution, environment and genetics.
Here Desmond focuses on what kinds of happiness exists - indeed the book can be reduced down to a simpl
Monica
Jun 23, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it
I love this booklet's cover.

5 women with shower caps enjoying a bubble bath on a beach in calm purplish-blue-grey tone.* Each woman is in her own bathtub, her own self-contained contentment. Yet they are in communion.

The picture says: "Do your own thing, whatever it may be, that makes you feel peaceful, happy and contented. Laugh a bit, and don't be afraid to look a bit silly doing what you enjoy." Wearing a shower cap in a bathtub on the beach? That's contentment. That's confidence in your con
Sarah Tipper
Jan 17, 2016 Sarah Tipper rated it really liked it
It’s easy to forget you’re a smart ape with certain biological urges and needs. This book reminded me and provided a great sense of perspective on happiness, which is many things to many people, at many points in time. This is resolutely not a self-help book. It has however reminded me of the sources of my personal happiness. It’s a quick read and it entertained me through a long damp January evening. I will re-read this book in a few years, when I’ve forgotten I’m a smart ape again.
Tara_
Sep 17, 2014 Tara_ rated it it was ok
This book was okay, not the best book I've ever read about happiness. Some will enjoy the fact that it has no 'psychobable'. I found it to be a very unremarkable book, however it does give you the basic facts.
Sandeep Gautam
Jun 29, 2015 Sandeep Gautam rated it liked it
Shelves: ve-psych
A very short, light and easy read. A different type of book from the existing 'happiness' books.....yet grounded and easy to empathize with.
Isla Scott
Nov 10, 2015 Isla Scott rated it really liked it
It was interesting, the quotes particularly. It was a little dry perhaps. I particularly like the front cover image.
Ankit Kumar
May 07, 2016 Ankit Kumar rated it really liked it
Simple definitions and classification of Happiness. More about Human nature, as expected a book by Desmond John Morris.
Vishal Akhouri
Feb 08, 2009 Vishal Akhouri rated it liked it
The book classifies the various kinds of happiness, that can be there. The book is differenct from other books of its kind in the way that it does not preach a particular way of life to be happy but aims at giving an insight into the various ways which can make one happy. Most of the ways we are actually aware of, but what makes it a good read is the fact that it actually documents which we actually know. So a good effort.
Papanikolaou
May 21, 2013 Papanikolaou rated it really liked it
Read it in one day! Simply but not superficial! Descriptive but not wordy, with references in few scientific researches! Explains some things, but doesn't preach or give guidelines! Easy to read and highly recommended for those who like reading books about human nature and happiness!
তাহসিন রেজা
নেচার অব হযাপিনেস সুখানুভুতির এভোলযুশন, হরেক রকম সুখের বিশলেষন নিয়ে এক কথায় একটা আই ওপেনিং বই। ...more
Kayla
Kayla added it
May 24, 2016
A.soorianarayanan
A.soorianarayanan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Mohammed Mortada
Mohammed Mortada marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Alejandro Goldberg
Alejandro Goldberg marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Tere Oana
Tere Oana marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Juan Manuel
Juan Manuel rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
John Deltuvia
John Deltuvia rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 16, 2016
Doug
Doug rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
hristina
hristina rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Anda
Anda is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2016
Jimreeves
Jimreeves rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Nynke De jong
Nynke De jong marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Fredericka Freeman
Fredericka Freeman marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...