Start by marking “One Duck Stuck” as Want to Read:
One Duck Stuck

One Duck Stuck

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,055 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Exuberant rhythms and vibrant illustrations in a one-of-a-kind counting book!

Published May 1st 1998 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One Duck Stuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Duck Stuck

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyThe Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian AndersenClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Story About Ping by Marjorie FlackDuck On A Bike by David Shannon
Best Picture Books about Ducks
9th out of 64 books — 27 voters
1 Is One by Tasha TudorThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarlePride & Prejudice  by Jennifer AdamsChicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr.Cats' Night Out by Caroline Stutson
Best Counting Picture Books
6th out of 39 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Becca Buckman
Oct 12, 2011 Becca Buckman rated it liked it
One Duck Stuck: A Mucky Duck Counting Book, by Phyllis Root with illustrations by Jane Chapman, tells the delightful story of a poor duck “stuck in the muck, down by the deep green marsh” (p. 1). A variety of different animals, counting by numbers 2-10, make their way to the pond to try to save Duck from the marsh. The reader seems skeptical at first, but listeners of all ages will be surprised and excited with this happy ending! The story fits perfectly into the counting genre of picture books ...more
Kay
Oct 22, 2016 Kay rated it liked it
very cute illustrations and rhyming with sounds
Melissa Newton
gets stuck in the muck,
down by the
deep green marsh.
Brief Book Summary:
A helpless duck is stuck in the marsh, and various animals try to come to his rescue in increasing numbers. None of the animals have success in helping the duck escape until the conclusion of the book when they appear to
Evie Milburn
Title: One Duck Stuck
Author: Phyllis Root
Illustrator: Jane Chapman
Genre: Counting Book
Theme(s): Numbers, Animals, Colors, Onomatopoeia, Teamwork
Opening line/sentence: Down by the marsh, by the sleepy, slimy marsh, one duck gets stuck in the muck, down by the deep green marsh.
Brief Book Summary: This counting book is about a duck that gets stuck in muck down in a marsh. The book starts with one duck and counts up to ten different types of animals that try and help him get out of the marsh. Even
Alice
Sep 28, 2016 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
This book was a fun little counting book! It has moose (plural) and that makes a good book for me. A duck is stuck in the muck....who does he get out!? Fun read...nice pictures! And teaser....the duck DOES get UNSTUCK!!
Eva Leger
Feb 21, 2009 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents teaching toddlers to count...maybe
Recommended to Eva by: found it in the library
Shelves: julias-books
This is a nice little counting book for toddlers. It's about average I'd say- there is nothing special that comes to mind when I think of it.
Julia likes it well enough- enough to ask for it more than once for sure.
She likes to count along with me and it does have the numbers big enough for the child to see what they are- bigger than the smaller words basically.
There were a few words that just aren't in a toddlers vocabulary but the good thing about that is Julia was interested and asking me w
Jennie
Jul 09, 2011 Jennie added it
Age: 3-6

Genre: Picture book

Diversity: Abilities

Illustrations: Colorful and fairly detailed illustrations of all the animals included in the storyline. For an added touch there is a leaf to be found in every scene of the book.

Personal Response: I enjoyed this story and appreciate the message that teamwork can accomplish things that individuals cannot. The fact that teamwork is secondary to the use of numbers is a bonus.

Curriculum: This story could be used with a lesson on working together taught
Sae Heo
Mar 02, 2013 Sae Heo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal, math
This book is really good for toddler because they can learn number, different animals, and different sounds through the book "One Duck Stuck". Also, children may enjoy the plot of story in this book. They can memorize words and numbers easily in classroom. Many sentense of each page are repeat, so it is very rhythmic in this book.

Extension: After read this book, children review numbers and words follow the teacher's direction.
Children do coloring each animal from the book's characters when teach
Heidi-Marie
A good counting, rhyming, sound-effect book with bold colors. I enjoyed the different animals that came to help. The reading and illustrations might work with the toddler group, but the counting aspect can be added for the preschool. Maybe I'll try both, taking into consideration the attention span of the toddlers.

3/31/10 & 4/1/10 After trying this one with preschool, I think I might skip the toddler group--only because we get such young ones in it. But the preschoolers did well with their c
Jeff Sehorn
Mar 29, 2009 Jeff Sehorn rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! No, not because it brings back fond childhood memories...I had never even heard of it until about a year ago. I used to work with severely physically and mentally disabled kids. We had a speech pathologist who came to my class twice a week, and she read this book to us once. She is a delightful woman, by far the best speech path we have ever had! I don't know if this is really such a great book, but it is so much fun to hear Ann read. I would actually request this ...more
Jessica
Mar 31, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit-march
One Duck Stuck has to be one of the most fun counting books I've read. It would be fun to read out loud because the rhyming just rolls right off the tongue. It's all so fun and fits together really nicely. I kind of liked how it was only a few parts here and there that rhymed, and not every line. It made the rhyming lines stick out, and the counting felt more fun than forced like it can feel in some picture books. Instead of everything being focused on the counting, everything was focused on ...more
Tanya
Jan 14, 2013 Tanya rated it it was ok
I am not a huge fan of counting books. The rhyming is lovely in the is book, it reminds me of the more entertaining "the Trucks are Stuck." Counting to ten becomes overly repetitive, however. The artwork is wonderfully colorful, but because the duck is stuck, there is not much action in the book, either, nor is it clear how all the creatures are trying to help the duck. Pass on this one, unless you like numbers books. Or if you can make up a tune to it - I'd give it four or five stars with a ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jul 03, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc
I picked up One Duck Stuck because it reminded me of Ducks in Muck but for more advanced readers. The two books use similar rhymes but One Duck Stuck is three times the length and the rhymes border on tongue twisters.

The basic plot centers around the stuck duck and her attempts to get out of the muck. She enlists the help of her swamp friends: fish, insects, some birds and a variety of animals. Separately the can't help the duck but what if they work together?

Both Sean and Harriet enjoy One Duck
Alyson Rizk
Jun 15, 2013 Alyson Rizk rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
One Duck Stuck is a great book to read when intorducing counting. Each number has a different animal or bug so the children can see what that item looks like as a picture. It is very colorful and will catch the childen's attention. It can also be used to let children know that you should try and help your friends when they are in need. This book also has some great rhyming words throughout the book.

LE-For One Duck Stuck I would make stick puppets and have the children re-tell the story to me.
Kaytlyn Witcher
Nov 10, 2015 Kaytlyn Witcher added it
Shelves: poetry
This book is about a duck that is stuck in the muck. Different groups of creatures try to help get the duck unstuck. Each group counts up by ones starting with the one duck. No one group can get the duck unstuck. So they all finally gather as a joint rescue effort. Then finally the duck get out of the muck.

Classroom: This book is good for Pre-K or Kindergarten. This bok uses both numbers counting and rhyming words. It would book good for a math lesson or even a literature lesson for these two gr
Jeanette Rakestraw
Another great book for teaching the concept of working together and to never give up. It's ok to ask for help and if someone ask you for help, try to help them even if you don't succeed together. It teaches that if you all work together, the task will eventually be achieved. Children all have different strenghts and when they are combined they become stronger.
Georgia Pre-K Standards content area of Social & Emotional development.
Caitlin
May 07, 2015 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book with K-3 ESL and bilingual students, and they are "stuck" on it! The pictures are bold and the duck's situation is urgent, engaging even my struggling readers. Rhyming and lyrical, the text provides good opportunities to practice K-1 sight words and use phonics rules to sound out onomatopoeic words. For ESL, there are opportunities to expand animal vocabulary beyond the usual cat/dog/mouse. Great book!
Christy
Dec 07, 2015 Christy rated it really liked it
One duck is stuck in the muck. Can two fish, tails going swish, help? What about three moose, munching on spruce? Will four crickets, chirping in the thickets, be able to pull the unlucky duck out of the muck? With bright, spirited illustrations by Jane Chapman, this counting tale by Phyllis Root is a feast of sounds and numbers that will have young listeners scrambling to join the slippy, sloppy fun.
Mitch Cowger
Feb 26, 2013 Mitch Cowger rated it liked it
One Duck Stuck was a silly book about how a duck gets stuck in the mud and has all these individuals help him but no one can get him unstuck. But in the end if all these individuals work together at the same time they get the duck unstuck. It was short and straight to the point which was entertaining, also it kept the same pattern in describing how the animals were helping but used different adjectives each time which kept it interesting. Overall, it was a good book with a good message.
Margaret Chind
While I'm not 100% in love with the illustrations, I like this book a lot. It is full of value. Sounds, various animals, rhymes, rhythm and repetition, oh and of course there is counting. I can see why so many people lean toward this book. I've been reading a pile of books and this is the first one the preschooler has grabbed and is "reading" again by pictures herself. So perhaps we'll have to look for a copy ourselves.
Ciara Bean
Mar 18, 2015 Ciara Bean rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-lit
Alright so the book is really cute and while most probably wouldn't find anything wrong with it I had some struggles. Like how did 10 dragonfly's think they were going to get the duck unstuck if the moose couldn't or the snakes. I know it's a tiny detail to get hung up on and yes sometimes those we least expect are the ones who are able to do something. Also how did none of the other animals get stuck? It is a cute story as long as you're able to overlook some small details!
Kelsey Vayens
Feb 05, 2013 Kelsey Vayens rated it really liked it
This book is such a great book because it addresses many different lessons. This book tells the story of a duck who gets stuck in some mud and needs his friends to help him out. This book is perfect for younger grade levels because it addresses rhyme to the children and can be a great tool in discussing ending sounds. This book also addresses repetition, making it perfect for grade levels or children who are working on their phonological awareness skills.
Savannah
Jan 26, 2014 Savannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
As my son D and I were reading this I would ask along the way who he thought would help the duck stuck in the muck. He'd guess and we'd continue. Well about most of the way through I believe the nine snakes part he throws the hypothesis or theory out there that ALL the animals will help him. Sure enough that's what happens! I thought it was pretty cool and he thought so as well. I pointed out the next animal that gets stuck and he yells, " THE MOOSE!" with a laugh. I just love his laughter.
Sarah Ashburn
May 27, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-play
This book was great and really stood out to me because of the different sounds that were so similar throughout. I really enjoyed how it was almost a tongue twister and that's what would make it fun for children to read but it also uses short words and similar sounds to help struggling readers. Great book!
Sandra Y.
Apr 20, 2013 Sandra Y. rated it it was amazing
This is a cute rhyming counting book, about a duck stuck in the muck. Various animals come along and try to help the duck, but it is not until the end when they all work together that they get the duck out. Illustrations are adorable and very colorful. I would recommend this book for preschool and up.
Lisa Arthur
Apr 19, 2013 Lisa Arthur rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love the book and so does my class. It is a great way to introduce different type of animals and counting skills. I love how the story includes rhyming words. Story is fun and silly and children are counting, learning about animals and counting skills.

I like how the story shows team work in the story with the duck!
Jenn C
Apr 28, 2016 Jenn C rated it really liked it
One Duck Stuck is a great book for preschoolers! I recently read this for a duck-themed class (in a big book format - even better to show off Jane Chapman's big, bright illustrations!), and the kids not only helped to count the animals as we read through, but also make the sounds to go along.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Duck gets stuck and needs help. 10 different types of animals come along to help duck. The repeated phrase is "Help! Help! Who can help?" which was fun to say together at storytime. We also counted animals and made animals sounds during the reading (not with every animal).

2016 storytime theme: wetlands

Reviewed from a library copy.
Wendy
Apr 10, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book for a reading program with some trepidation Although the book had been suggested by a library program pro, I wondered if the book had enough "oomph" to carry a program. I am very happy to report that my worries were for naught - the merry rhythm of the book, bright graphics and engaging refrain really captured the children's attention and encouraged them to participate.
Hilary
Mar 20, 2015 Hilary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
"No luck. Still Stuck."

Many animals find Duck stuck in the mud. Individually they can't release her from her predicament. Together they are able to free Duck.

Pictures are humorous and appealing, but in board book format, too small for group readings. It is available in other formats, though.
  • Five Little Ducks
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Hello, Day!
  • Big Fat Hen
  • I Know a Rhino
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • The Magic Hat
  • Ten In The Den
  • 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
  • Move!
  • Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On
  • One Mole Digging A Hole
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
"Picture books are performances," says Phyllis Root, quoting some sage advice she once received. "They're performances that involve a child--something both of you do. And once I started thinking of them that way, I started getting much looser about making up words and playing around with rhythm."

Phyllis Root picked up an early affinity for colloquial language while growing up in Indiana and south
More about Phyllis Root...