Start by marking “Time of the Eagle (Secret Sacrament, #2)” as Want to Read:
Time of the Eagle (Secret Sacrament, #2)

Time of the Eagle (Secret Sacrament #2)

I was the first child born to a hunted people, in the first winter of their flight. My earliest memory is of being carried on my mother's hip across barren plains, with wild mountains all around, and of rough tents made of skins stretched across sticks planted in the dust, of hunger and thirst and a feeling I did not like or understand, but which I know now was the fear th ...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Eos (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Time of the Eagle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time of the Eagle

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

Avala is a member of the dwindling race of the Shivali. Avala is special -- her mother, Ashila, is the tribe's healer and her father, Gabriel, was Navoran, a member of an enemy tribe who became a great ally in times of trouble. The Navoran still conquer lands, and the Shinali have become nomads, but there are still a few Navoran who honor Avala's father, and are willing to deal gently with Shinali. The true reason that Avala is held in high regard
Vicky
May 24, 2011 Vicky rated it it was amazing

“Avala’s fate is might, for she is the chosen one-the one who will bring the Time of the Eagle, when the hunted will become the hunters and win back their freedom. It is a destiny that requires the spirit of a warrior and the heart of a healer.”

Although this is technically a sequel to “Secret Sacrament”, there is no need to read that book to know and understand what is happening in this one. Though if it is anywhere close to being as good as this one, I recommend it. In this book, Avala, daughte
Celia
Apr 21, 2008 Celia rated it it was ok
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
I fell in love with one of Sherryl Jordan's books when I was younger - The Juniper Game - and recently realised that I'd never read anything else of hers. "Well," I said, "this must be rectified! To the library, Jeeves!" And off we went.

Time of the Eagle didn't grip my imagination like The Juniper Game did. It's a young adult fantasy, and shares some of the painful aspects of that genre - characters saying things like, "It was a high lot good" to emphasise the fact that we're in a different worl
Cathleen Ash
My name Avala - I'm about to turn 16.
I was the first child born to a hunted people, in the winter of their flight.
My people are called the Shinali, and by the time I was born, there were only a few of us left. Always, we were moving.
Things were not between my father's people and my mother's. The Navorans (my dad's side) had hunted my people for years, and still did. We hid, camped in valleys hidden by snow, moving often to avoid being found and wiped out.
That day, that fateful day, I was gather
L. Petunia
Sep 05, 2008 L. Petunia rated it really liked it
Maybe a 3.5. I don't remember much about the book to which this book is a sequel, other than loving it when I read it a decade or so ago. And now wanting to re-read it soon.

I'm not sure why I quite liked this book, but I did. It was a beautiful native-people-fantasy type world, and I liked most of the characters.

There were a few things that bothered me, though: It was way too long (especially in the denouement, which went on for 50 pages), and... Not a lot happened. Nothing shocking anyway. With
Gwen the Librarian
The Shinali people have been exiled from their land for many years, but rather than being discouraged, they look forward to the Time of the Eagle, a time when they will rise up with other displaced peoples and take back their land as the prophecy foretold. Avala is the daughter of a healing woman and a peacemaker who came from the enemy Navorans. On her sixteenth borning-day, Avala receives a new prophecy; that she is to usher in the long-awaited Time of the Eagle, as a peacemaker between all en ...more
Anne Hamilton
This is the sequel to Secret Sacrament and it has a prophecy about the overthrow of a vicious and malevolent power, in this case the evil tyrant and sorceror Jaganath.

Avala’s father, Gabriel, sacrificed himself so that her people, the Shinali, would gain their freedom. Avala however has plans to be a healer, not a martyr. Her wonderful vision of creating the Time of the Eagle by uniting the Shinali, the Igaal and the Hena founders on the drive for appeasement which some of the tribal chieftains
Rebecca
Mar 15, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good read for me. I loved that it was clean- so swearing, no sex, only minor descriptions of war. I loved that the point was love. To win with love. Sure, some of it was lengthy and oversimplified and cliche, and I liked that too. Sometimes it is nice to not have a book full of twists and turns. It was relaxing to not be wondering what the next nasty surprise or evil plot might be, and I could put it down to get things done (like dinner and laundry!) but I still wanted to pick it ...more
Juancarlos Martinez
May 23, 2011 Juancarlos Martinez rated it really liked it
Time of the Eagle is about Avala a girl completing a prophecy left by her father. This book is fantasy and a very good one. The author explains everything the way it happens and sometimes flashes back to other important things. This book had lots of good events and description with the landscapes and all the different villages. Avail and the other tribes joins together and took back the city. This book shows alot of similes and metaphors comparing the tribes against each other. I did not like th ...more
Madelyne
The book is about the fulfilling of a prophecy for a nation of people who have had their land stolen, have been stricken with war, and must become nomads to escape the emperor who wants their race dead. A young girl, Avala, bares the weight of having to fulfill the prophecy, the book is from her perspective. The author is one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the way in which Avala grows from an unsure girl to an amazing healer and confident young woman. The scenes that speak of their final free ...more
Nattymarsha
Feb 13, 2011 Nattymarsha rated it really liked it
Chelsea
Oct 21, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
Oh your god I loved this book!!! It was great and I could never take my eyes off of it. Sure it is long but it was so awesome, nothing in the entire book made me think that it could be dumb. All of the scentences were really detailed and nothing was that inapropriate. There were a few wars but...anyways. I loved it and it did a good job of really captivating me.
Sarah Tilatitsky
Nov 07, 2010 Sarah Tilatitsky rated it it was amazing
This book is sooo good. I highly reccomend it to anyone that has a working, caring heart. This book is about a girl that is part of a prophecy that talks about the uniting of the tribes and defending the villian. It's really cool, without the "fake" stuff, like the happiness to serve all the time, and not getting tired, and it seems so sureal. So, basicly, read it.
Angela
Jan 05, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
I really lived this book. I feel like I have been in another world for a little while. The authors ability to create a works that you can vividly imagine is incredible. I will be reading all of Sherryl Jordan's books. A great read.
Nancy
Jan 28, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
A very encouraging and romantic book about fate and the strong and determined belief of a young girl who wants to have peace between the tribes on the earth. The language is slightly different, but very right in a way that is almost wrong! Lol! I recommend it for any young reader!
Cara Marie
Oct 06, 2007 Cara Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love Sherryl Jordan, but I like it better when she makes me cry. This was too happy ending to really excite me, and periods would go too long with nothing really happening. In the end, Avala has it all and I'm afraid I couldn't really believe it.
Louisa
Jul 27, 2011 Louisa rated it it was amazing
I was rerereading this book, it was just really good, and I really loved the story, and I picked up on some details that I'd forgotten, or just kinda read over by accident. This is just a great book! I loved it!
Saronda
Jul 03, 2014 Saronda rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I have read this book multiple times since I was 14 years old. I absolutely love the world that Sheryl Jordan creates in this series. It's a beautiful "Romeo and Juliet" style tale of healing, war and peace.
Annie
Nov 13, 2007 Annie rated it it was amazing
Sequel to Secret Sacrament by Sherryl Jordan, this book tells the story of Gabriel's daughter who struggles to find her own identity - more than just his daughter - and more than her destined role as peace bringer.
Ashley
Dec 30, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
this is a story most don't take notice of that I think they should. it's a great story that follows the journey of a woman that has this great destiny upon her shoulders. fantastic and amazingly well written
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
wonderful
Addy
Oct 13, 2010 Addy rated it really liked it
Not one of her best - then I don't like books that follow on from the next generation and the story line isn't as gripping as some of her others, but still a good read!
Malinda
Aug 28, 2008 Malinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The sequil to "The Secret Sacrament", is a great follow-up book. I love when stories continue and this one is just as fun as the other. I love the names she gives the characters too.
Elissa
Jan 19, 2010 Elissa rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing...I couldn't put it down til I finished it and now it makes me want to get the Secret Sacrement which I know its kind of reverse but without reading it was still a great book.
nicki
Jun 25, 2012 nicki rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing story full of beautiful dialogue and endearing characters. It was a great book to get swept up in and enjoy. I hope to read more from this author in the future truly a great story.
Ki ❝The Book Scavenger❞
Jan 10, 2011 Ki ❝The Book Scavenger❞ rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago but i still remember the time i finnaly got sick of passing the book so i picked up form my library and i read it.. Its a good book.
Rose
Oct 07, 2010 Rose rated it really liked it
Time of the Eagle by Sherryl Jordan (2007)
Monae
Nov 11, 2008 Monae rated it it was amazing
I totally expected this book to be cheesy because of the title, but it was great. I enjoyed the story, and the underlying theme of good conquering evil.
Katelyn
Mar 20, 2012 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Katelyn by: myself
It's amazing, but its a sequel. It starts off kind of boring, but it gets really interesting later on.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I really liked it. Nice story, original writing story, interesting characters. It was pretty good. :)
  • The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)
  • Altered Destiny
  • The Problem with Paradise
  • The Catalogue of the Universe
  • Quest of the Demon
  • Mirror Wakes
  • The Shapeshifters: The Kiesha'ra of the Den of Shadows (The Kiesha'ra, #1-5)
  • Two Moons of Sera Vol. 1
  • The Silent One
  • Beyond The Grave (The Ministry of Curiosities, #3)
  • The Priests of Ferris (The O Trilogy, #2)
  • A Bone From a Dry Sea
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
  • Candidate (The Black Mage, #3)
  • The Curse of Gremdon (The Shrouded Kingdoms #1)
  • Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana
  • A Respectable Girl
  • Girls Don't Fly
Award-winning New Zealand author Sherryl Jordan began her writing career with picture books, but soon moved on to novels for older readers. Her breakthrough came with Rocco, published in the United States as A Time of Darkness, and since that time she has gone on to pen many more titles for young adult and juvenile readers that have been published both in her native New Zealand and throughout the ...more
More about Sherryl Jordan...

Secret Sacrament (2 books)
  • Secret Sacrament (Secret Sacrament, #1)