Start by marking “The Raging Quiet” as Want to Read:
The Raging Quiet

The Raging Quiet

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  3,456 Ratings  ·  312 Reviews
A newcomer to the tiny village of Tocurra befriends a young man whose deafness has left him isolated from his fellow villagers. Marnie and Raver learn to communicate through a series of hand gestures, but when a death shakes the village, their special, silent bond causes the two to fall under suspicion of witchcraft. A compelling, romantic, and revealing story for young re ...more
Published April 27th 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Raging Quiet, please sign up.

Rudri Vyas child marriage, Deaf boy, people think Marnie is a Witch. Set it the medieval times. Amazing. Beautiful. Heart-capturing. Love. Betrayal. Death.…morechild marriage, Deaf boy, people think Marnie is a Witch. Set it the medieval times. Amazing. Beautiful. Heart-capturing. Love. Betrayal. Death. Fights and some sex. Husband falls off roof. Funny. other stuff!! Just read it!!!(less)

Emily May
4.5 stars. I never imagined I would enjoy this as much as I did. This book has been on my mental TBR list since long before I even had a goodreads account, because it seems that everyone who reads it recommends it to me and yet it's taken me so long to get around to it. I would guess The Raging Quiet struggles to find an audience when historical fiction is not very popular in YA, and especially the ones that don't feature corsets and dramatic love affairs.

Possibly the first thing I noticed and l
Lora
It isn't often that I begin writing a review with trepidation and insecurities, thinking that my thoughts and feelings can't possibly do the book justice. This isn't because I have a great esteem for myself; no, it is because, while a lot of what I read I enjoy, I'm not fooling myself into thinking that the majority of it is what most would consider quality literature. It is with those kinds of books that I figure that whatever I type should suffice. But there are those times, like when I review ...more
Reynje
The Raging Quiet is without doubt a Rey-The-Teen-Years book. Which is not to say it is not a Rey-Now book, (it is), but this is the sort of novel I would have adored without reservation in high school. As a teenager that read almost exclusively classics and historical literature of any kind, and possibly had somewhat overly romantic ideas about life, I would have been completely enamoured with Jordan’s sweeping story of love triumphing over evil.

The deliberate ambiguity of the setting and time p
Tatiana
Aug 26, 2011 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "Daughter of the Forest"
Shelves: ya, historical, 2011
The Raging Quiet is a teen-oriented mix of The Scarlet Letter, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Crucible. A story of a woman who dares to be different and has to be punished for it.

Marnie has had it coming. First, she marries a wealthy older man (who cares if she does it only to save her family from poverty) and moves with him into his decrepit and allegedly cursed house in a seaside village populated by ignorant bigots. When Marnie's husband suddenly and accidentally dies, all attention focuse
kari
Jul 10, 2009 kari rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: older teens and adults
Shelves: 2009, ya, 5-star
I think this book was "moon-good beautiful." The characters grabbed me from the first page and kept my interest all the way through. I thought they were well-developed and grew in lots of great ways during the course of the story. I couldn't read it fast enough, wanting to know what happened next.
The characters of Raven and Marnie, both injured in different ways from the world they live in, each struggling to make a life, are people you want to see succeed. All the various threads are pulled tog
Arlene
Jul 14, 2009 Arlene rated it it was amazing
A Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordon is such a flawlessly written novel. I was truly captivated by the characters, plot and setting. Despite the setting of the novel being historical, the message resonates to any time and place. This book is about people's prejudices and ignorance, and about a girl being wrongly accused, where her only crime is being different than others.

Marnie is a newlywed girl of sixteen who is taken to a seaside cottage by her husband, Isake, who is more than twice her age and
Ivy
Sep 21, 2009 Ivy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of romance, lovers of Scarlet Letter type books
What a beautiful book! I thank my goodreads pals for recommending this gem of a book which takes place a very long time ago, when people believed in witchcraft and faeries.

Marnie is a young woman of sixteen years who is forced into marriage with an older man to save her family from certain poverty when her father is struck down by illness and can no longer perform his duties as overseer on their lord's estate.

Luke Isherwood, Marnie's husband, is one of the lord's sons and his inheritance is an o
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
4.5 stars! Just so we're clear, I had NO idea what this book was about. I didn't read the synopsis, I didn't read reviews, nothing. I think part of that is why I liked the book so much. I came in with a clean slate, not knowing anything (other than I didn't like the cover), and I really believe it was a bonus. Everything was new and a surprise. I personally think the synopsis gives away a lot. Especially the jacket flap, if you get the hardcover version DO NOT read the flap, it practically tells ...more
Catie
Jan 24, 2011 Catie rated it really liked it
This book really took me by surprise on many levels. It's highly simplistic - there's Marnie, Raven, and the priest who are all open-minded and then there's everyone else, who are all ignorant as the day is long. The black and white nature of the characters did prevent me from really buying into this book completely, but I think it's meant to be more of a fantasy. It's a bit like a fairy tale, but I've always been a sucker for those and I totally fell for this one too. The romance is sweet and i ...more
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Feb 04, 2011 Cassi aka Snow White Haggard rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cassi aka Snow White by: Catie
Shelves: ya, read-in-2011
The Raging Quiet is a book I never would have read. The cover is juvenile at best, cheesy at worst. It's a romance and I'm a tomboy. Yes sometimes I have girly moments (Archer Cross, Peeta Mellark, I'm looking at you) but I didn't think I could read a straight-up romance. My friends on goodreads told me to read this book. They said it was a romance, but it wasn't that type of romance.

They were right.

The Raging Quiet is not like the romances I've avoided. The characters are well developed and the
~Tina~
Oct 22, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing
The Raging Quiet is a beautiful treasured story that is written with passion and grace.
It's a story about people who don't understand those who are different and how prejudice can be judged harshly and cruelly. It's story about acceptance and the power of love.

I absolutely feel in love with Marnie and Raven. Marnie is so kind and loving and what she did, what's she's done for Raven was inspiring and heartwarming.
Raven is such a joyous character, so tender and kind. No doubt, one of the sweetest
Linda
THE RAGING QUIET is one those wonderful books that makes you feel as though you could slip between the pages. The story is both endearing and magical. A young girl, Marnie, was forced into marriage to assist her family. They had fallen on hard times. The wedding night was nothing as she anticipated. Then, her husband passed away after only two days and the suspicious townsfolk believe witchcraft was involved.

Now she lived all alone by the sea. He cottage was very small but she was content. In t
Glaiza
Oct 22, 2011 Glaiza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been so long since I've just sat down and stayed glued to a book until I reached the last page. One of the best friendships I've read in a book. The characters are what really hook you into this story. The setting is also vivid and atmospheric - evoking serious prosy envy. Recommended to anyone seeking really good YA.
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I'm astonished to see this book classified as "fantasy" by so many people--I read quite a bit of fantasy and historical fiction, and this belongs solidly in the second category. There's no magic here--well, the story is about two young people who create a sign language and fall in love, which is magical in its own way, but nothing that couldn't happen in our world. And although Jordan claims in the afterward that there's something mythological about this tale because she didn't specify the histo ...more
Faith
Nov 22, 2008 Faith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 1999, but the story is really sort of a indefinite historical fiction. The time period is sometime during the 1700's, but the exact location is not given. All we know is that it is set in a small village by the sea.

The Raging Quiet would be a great historical peace for the classroom. Elements like persecution, potential demonic possession, and a witch trail are both exciting and fairly accurate historically. This novel would also give students to opportunity to interact
jesse
this book is everything i wanted by these ten bones by clare b dunkle to be and then some!

book pairings:
plain kate by erin bow
foxmask by juliet marillier
the near witch victoria schwab
wuthering heights by emily bronte (view spoiler)
Angela
Nov 23, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
It reads like classic lore and perfectly captures the hysteria of the period, and yet through that darkness the triumph of the human spirit makes it a really uplifting, hug-to-your-chest kind of book.

Full review here:
drea
Aug 28, 2011 drea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I heard about this book I heard from Goodreads friends, who rated it very highly as a lost YA classic. I managed to track down a used copy on Paperback Swap, and was surprised when what arrived was a retired library hardcover, complete with a sticker on the spine and little plastic slipcase. It turned out to be very appropriate, because reading it gave me all sorts of happy memories about poking through the tiny YA section at my local library as a teenager, and discovering titles like ...more
Yaqueliné
Jun 28, 2015 Yaqueliné rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! I couldn't put this book down even for a minute! It's so freaking good! And the real question is: where have this book been all of my life?! It's really beautiful written and the characters just latch at you that you can't get away from them. I'm proud to say that I own this book in my book collection - well it couldn't be complete without it, really. And now I'm going to talk nonsense to strangers and non-strangers alike so it will get through their thick skull that they need to ...more
Mary
“It’s got nothing to do with devils! He can’t hear!”

This is one of those books that sneaks up on you and honestly, I don’t understand why no one knows about this book! This is so underrated it’s criminal. It discusses what it means to be deaf, to look past each other’s differences and love them for them, and that no matter what happens, we can get stronger.

Marnie marries Isake Isherwood, the son of the Lord her family is working the lands in exchange for food and a roof over their heads. Her mo
Lucy
Jan 27, 2008 Lucy rated it it was ok
A novel for young adults, this story highlights the struggle of an ahead-of-her-times girl, Marmie, and her new deaf friend, Raven, who is believed by all of the rest of the ignorant townspeople to be a madman.

Marmie meets Raven when she is brought to the town as a young bride on her wedding day, married to Isake, a lord more than twice her age. She notices Raven being beaten by townspeople as she and her husband ride into town on their wagon. While waiting for her new husband to finish getting
Heather
Jul 28, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Read this one in year 6, primary school. Is a book that has always stayed in my head and have read it a number of times since too. Having thought about it, the content may be a bit disturbing for young children now, but it is still a good read. I think it has stayed with me for so long as it has many points which you can relate to in one way or another. Recommended.

update: This book is about the struggle of a young boy who is deaf. A young woman is brought to the village as a wife/slave of a ri
Becca
What a beautiful little story! It wasn't the most ground breaking tale, but very well done, and with stong enough emotion I can give it the full five stars. The themes of friendship and understanding were woven strongly along side hatred, ignorance, and prejudice. You see and understand both sides of the conflict, and while wishing people would open their eyes to their own blindness, you can understand their fear. While mourning with one character for what's happening to and around her, you also ...more
Nina
This is one of those YA books that seems more like an adult book, though there is nothing overly violent or graphic and the protagonist is young, it's just something I think adults could enjoy as much as teens.

Marnie is a young girl who, to save her family, is married to a much older man. She arrives at her new home, a small cottage by the sea in a small village, where the people gossip about what could have led to a Lord marrying a poor girl such as Marnie. Missing her family, unhappy with her
Iraida
Just amazing. Sherryl Jordan has created a beautiful and simple pair or characters: a recently widowed lass (Marnie) and the mad boy of a village called Torcurra (Raven). They will both protect each other from the hate of the villagers that can't understand the emotional bond they share.

The raging quiet is an easy reading - "easy" meaning "quick" and not pleasant, because Marnie and Raven's story will never be described as "easy". Overwhelming and heart-touching, I found it hard to keep up with
Grace
May 15, 2010 Grace rated it really liked it
Vera
May 28, 2015 Vera rated it it was amazing
I read this book ten years ago, and frustratingly I forgot the title and the author, so I could never find the book again. Hours I spent in the school library, tracing, re-tracing my steps, asking the school librarian to see my past loans (it was so large, it rather overwhelmed me), that I retreated, the plot burning inside my mind, but unable to title it.

Then today, 10 years later...
Today, it pops into my head. Whenever I've thought about this book in the past, it's with a bittersweet feeling a
Arika Horner
Feb 06, 2015 Arika Horner rated it it was amazing
Sherry Jordan's The Raging Quiet clearly describes the values of earlier times while still keeping the readers interest. She takes the old ways and adds a spin to them by putting modern values in a simpler time. The main character, Marine, breaks out off her shell and befriends a boy who is deaf and mute. The village people just think he is mad and With the devil. Sherry Jordan demonstrates how people used to think about someone that was different. The Raging Quiet gives a clear insight on how h ...more
Judy
Jul 27, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-fic
Once long ago, when Lords ruled and the feudal system prevailed, in a small fishing village there lived a wise priest, a young widow (married only two days), and a deaf young man who felt more at home in the wild than he did with people. Unfortunately, the villages were suspicious of anything they didn't understand and feared that Marnie was a witch and Raven was mad. Thus the stage is set for fear and compassion, learning and love.

It's a light read, a historical romance, but one with a twist. W
Sheri
Aug 09, 2009 Sheri rated it liked it
  • Quest for a Maid
  • Have You Seen Ally Queen?
  • Elske (Tales of the Kingdom, #4)
  • Song of the Magdalene
  • All in the Blue Unclouded Weather (The Melling Sisters, #1)
  • In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis
  • The Priests of Ferris (The O Trilogy, #2)
  • The Road Home (Echo Company, #5)
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • Queen's Own Fool (Stuart Quartet, #1)
  • One Fine Day (Molly, #2)
  • Heart's Blood
  • Intimate Enemies
  • Mara, Daughter of the Nile
  • Whisper
  • The Sherwood Ring
  • Medea
Award-winning New Zealand author Sherryl Jordan began her writing career with picture books, but soon moved on to novels for older readers. Her breakthrough came with Rocco, published in the United States as A Time of Darkness, and since that time she has gone on to pen many more titles for young adult and juvenile readers that have been published both in her native New Zealand and throughout the ...more
More about Sherryl Jordan...

“What is your name?' she asked.

The youth ignored her, lowering his eyelids against the sun. She repeated her question. Again he ignored her, so she touched his arm, and he turned his head and looked at her, suddenly back from his own world, his eyes wary, half afraid. But he saw no anger in her; only the stains of tears, and an awful despair. His face changed, and a look of profound sorrow and compassion came over him. Very slowly he lifted his hand and wiped the tears from her cheeks. No other man could have touched her that morning; but the mad youth, with his extraordinary tenderness, gave such a depth of consolation that she found herself leaning her cheek against his hand, and sobbing. He wept with her, and there wove between them an understanding, a unity deep and poignant and powerful.”
26 likes
“I want you to come with me when i go. But maybe you will not see your cave again, or the stonee rings where we danced. We will maybe not stay near the sea. Will you be happy?
If I can see your face, he signed, I'll be happy.
he embraced her again. For a long time they stayed with their arms about each other, and Marnie did not notice that the potatoes in the embers were burning black, or that the rabbit had jumped out of its box and was drinking the cup of ale she had placed on the hearth to warm for Father Brannan.”
6 likes