Start by marking “Coroner” as Want to Read:
Coroner

Coroner

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Dr. Noguchi recounts his colorful and stormy career, explains his innovative techniques, and reveals the full story behind his most fascinating investigations, including the deaths of Marilyn Monroe, Robert F. Kennedy, Sharon Tate, Janis Joplin, William Holden, Natalie Wood, John Belushi, and many more.
Unknown Binding, 252 pages
Published January 1st 1983 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Coroner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coroner

Kathy (ebookkat)
"Coroner" is a book written in the 1980's by Thomas T. Noguchi, M.D. with professional author Joseph DiMona. Dr. Noguchi is a former Chief Medical Officer of Los Angeles County. He conducted the forensic investigations for many famous celebrity deaths. Some of the celebrity deaths discussed are Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe, Robert F. Kennedy, Sharon Tate, Janis Joplin, William Holden, and John Belushi. Because he dealt with high-profile cases, his work was often scrutinized by both professionals ...more
Mary
Oct 28, 2012 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes true crime
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
In Thomas T. Noguchi's memoir, Coroner, the former Chief Medical Examiner of Los Angeles County and the "coroner to the stars", reveals the full evidence behind the headline-making deaths of Robert F. Kennedy, Janis Joplin, Sharon Tate, Marilyn Monroe and others - the shocking and surprising facts can now be released in this stunning memoir.

I had wanted to read this book ever since reading the sequel back in September and was excited when I received this book in the mail last week. It was very i
Sflauchle
Read this book when I was 13 - lent to me by my uncle a neurosurgeon. I honestly believe it was a part of my excitement about science and medicine.
I am too afraid to be CSI/detective/coroner type - think this book even gave me a few nightmares
I have often looked for this book to share with others and it has been challenging to find.
Janet C.
I was surprised at some of the information in this book by Thomas T. Noguchi. I am old enough to remember all the individuals in the book and there seemed to be more details than the news media reported. Very interesting and worth my time to read.
Shannen Mitchell Magee
Fantastic couldn't put it down book on the famous pathologist from Los Angeles County who conducted many high profile autopsies of the most famous movie greats.
Kaethe
I don't remember anything about the book, except that my beloved MIL loaned it to me.
Cheryl
I found the investigative component of a coroner's job the most interesting....how to study a room in which a body was found, how the body itself at first glance can give you some answers, or alert you to something out of the ordinary. It answered a few questions I had about a couple cases, simply because I was too young to know or care about them at the time. I could've enjoyed the book more if he had focused on more cases and not devoted such a large section to recounting his own professional ...more
Susan
Written by a well known coroner, Thomas Noguchi not only talks about the famous he has autopsied, but he discusses his personal and professional reasons for some of his reports. While there isn't a ton of new information, he does clarify his position. Definite glimmer that CSI television programs has a lot of flash and doesn't come near to telling the real story of a forensic coroner. A good read for students who think they would like to work in this field.
Jordi Via
"El ego de Noguchi, su único defecto"
Este fue el título de un artículo del Times escrito por la periodista Laurie Beckland.
No puedo estar más de acuerdo con ella después de leer este libro que pretende aportar datos interesantes (y aporta muchos, sea dicho de paso) sobre las muertes de famosos, pero que en realidad se centra demasiado en la vida del autor, Thomas T. Noguchi, y pasa de puntillas sobre aspectos que serían más atractivos que los que nos cuenta.
Amethyst Shadow
Thomas Noguchi was the coroner who did autopsies on some of Hollywood's finest, including Elvis and Marilyn Monroe. He documents such cases in this book. It is an interesting read should you desire to know more about the deaths of famous people.
Edie
Written in 1983 and no where in the book will you see any use of DNA because they didn't have that amazing tool in their arsenal. Young people today might wonder how answers could arrive without it! Very interesting read....
Stacey Lewis
While its a good book, I really felt it offered no new information about the cases he writes about. I might be good if you know nothing about celebrity deaths, but for me it was just ok.
Shawna
Very interesting book. A look into REAl forensics and the procedures used in crimes. Some of the stories are pretty brutal though, but still a hooking read.
Nancy
Interesting. It was written in the 80's so some of it now has "the rest of the story". But I read it in one sitting so it isn't a big time commitment!
Don
In the higher profile cases it does answer some questions, yet causing a few others to emerge still unanswered.

Not for faint of heart Readers.
Andy
Noguchi skipped the details in favor of self-congratulation and ax grinding. Exactly the things he spent the book and his career trying to deny.
Pat
For anyone interested in the Golden age of Hollywood and it's Stars, and their demises, a good read. Well written.
Lauren
I found this in a box of my dad's old criminology books. So interesting. I've read it over and over.
Chris
Great read long before the days of CSI !
Alan
Before CSI and Bones, there was ...
Mitch
This book captivated me!!!!
Beth Pleyte
Beth Pleyte is currently reading it
May 01, 2015
  • The Blooding
  • The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies That Threaten to Take Over America
  • How the End Begins: The Road to a Nuclear World War III
  • A Cast of Killers
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • Salt of the Earth
  • The Last Mafioso: The Treacherous World of Jimmy Frantianno
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • The Uncanny
  • First Things First
  • At Paradise Gate
  • No Bone Unturned: The Adventures of a Top Smithsonian Forensic Scientist and the Legal Battle for America's Oldest Skeletons
  • Armed and Dangerous: The Hunt for One of America's Most Wanted Criminals
  • Dead Reckoning: The New Science of Catching Killers
  • Dillinger's Wild Ride: The Year That Made America's Public Enemy Number One
  • A Room For The Dead
  • Spectre Nightmares and Visitations
  • Takedown: The Fall of the Last Mafia Empire
Coroner at Large Unnatural Causes Physical Evidence Coroner at Large (The Coroner Series) Coroner to the Stars