Start by marking “Coroner” as Want to Read:
Coroner

Coroner

Dr. Noguchi recounts his colorful and stormy career, explains his innovative techniques, and reveals the full story behind his most fascinating investigations, including the deaths of Marilyn Monroe, Robert F. Kennedy, Sharon Tate, Janis Joplin, William Holden, Natalie Wood, John Belushi, and many more.
Unknown Binding, 252 pages
Published January 1st 1983 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Coroner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coroner

Suzanne
Mar 31, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing educational read into the practices and growth of forensic science

Anyone familiar with the deaths of such Hollywood notables as Natalie Wood, William Holden, Sharon Tate, Marilyn Monroe, John Belushi, , and the late Senator Robert Kennedy has probably already heard of Dr. Thomas Noguchi of the Los Angeles Medical Examiners office. This book is his remembrances of the deaths he investigated and the science of forensic medicine whose growth he has fostered and encouraged. The bulk of
Robert Fila
Self. Justification

The book spends more time, and space, justifying than it does explaining. It doesn't explore outside pressures brought to bear upon finding the cause of death. For example, the book acknowledges more shots fired at RFK than Sirhan's gun could hold but still found him the assassin. Be it the press, the government, the family, or whoever, there was pressure but it goes unmentioned in case after case. Instead we are given Mr. Noguchi time and again overcoming his superiors wishes
Mark Noonan
Dec 05, 2016 Mark Noonan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book I read from cover to cover. Picked it up and read segments here and there. Eventually I finished all of them, but in no chronological order. It gives you insight on some information about these Hollywood deaths that you may have not heard before.
Stephanie Borders
Mar 11, 2017 Stephanie Borders rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
Carol Wilde
Interesting reading,

I felt it could have been a bit more in-depth on the cases, I would recommend this book. Good read.
Lesly Yossie
Dec 15, 2016 Lesly Yossie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro más que pude leer gracias a la biblioteca de Hanna Bonilla :) creo que le tome mucho aprecio al Dr.Noguchi que en mi opinión siempre en todos sus casos hizo un trabajo espectacular y dió lo mejor fe si. Me causó un sentimiento de wow cuando menciona en los pequeños casos sus corazonadas acertadas para descubrir cómo murieron las víctimas aunque no siempre encontraron al criminal. Si te interesa saber cómo murieron celebridades como Monroe, Natalie Wood, Robert Kennedy o simplemente te i ...more
Allyson Dyar
Jan 01, 2015 Allyson Dyar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
The problem with e-books is that it is so easy to forget to write the review.

After all, when I complete a hard or soft cover book, I can stack and shuffle the books for review on my desk. They become a constant reminder that I have a few reviews to get to (in fact, there are two hardcovers sitting on my desk, ready for me to write them up). E-books, on the other hand, sit in my Kindle app, and once I am done reading it, I put it back in the cloud, easily forgotten if I don’t get to the review im
Mary
Oct 28, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes true crime
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
In Thomas T. Noguchi's memoir, Coroner, the former Chief Medical Examiner of Los Angeles County and the "coroner to the stars", reveals the full evidence behind the headline-making deaths of Robert F. Kennedy, Janis Joplin, Sharon Tate, Marilyn Monroe and others - the shocking and surprising facts can now be released in this stunning memoir.

I had wanted to read this book ever since reading the sequel back in September and was excited when I received this book in the mail last week. It was very i
Kathy (ebookkat)
Nov 15, 2012 Kathy (ebookkat) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read, true-crime
"Coroner" is a book written in the 1980's by Thomas T. Noguchi, M.D. with professional author Joseph DiMona. Dr. Noguchi is a former Chief Medical Officer of Los Angeles County. He conducted the forensic investigations for many famous celebrity deaths. Some of the celebrity deaths discussed are Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe, Robert F. Kennedy, Sharon Tate, Janis Joplin, William Holden, and John Belushi. Because he dealt with high-profile cases, his work was often scrutinized by both professionals ...more
Cheryl
Oct 19, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
I found the investigative component of a coroner's job the most interesting....how to study a room in which a body was found, how the body itself at first glance can give you some answers, or alert you to something out of the ordinary. It answered a few questions I had about a couple cases, simply because I was too young to know or care about them at the time. I could've enjoyed the book more if he had focused on more cases and not devoted such a large section to recounting his own professional ...more
Jordi Via
"El ego de Noguchi, su único defecto"
Este fue el título de un artículo del Times escrito por la periodista Laurie Beckland.
No puedo estar más de acuerdo con ella después de leer este libro que pretende aportar datos interesantes (y aporta muchos, sea dicho de paso) sobre las muertes de famosos, pero que en realidad se centra demasiado en la vida del autor, Thomas T. Noguchi, y pasa de puntillas sobre aspectos que serían más atractivos que los que nos cuenta.
Susan
Oct 20, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Written by a well known coroner, Thomas Noguchi not only talks about the famous he has autopsied, but he discusses his personal and professional reasons for some of his reports. While there isn't a ton of new information, he does clarify his position. Definite glimmer that CSI television programs has a lot of flash and doesn't come near to telling the real story of a forensic coroner. A good read for students who think they would like to work in this field.
Mary Ellen Grayberg
Not very informative

Impression from the description was that there would be more information on the celebrity deaths , instead it seems to be a retrospective of Dr. Noguchi's issues as a coroner. Mildly interesting . He didn't answer what happened really happened to Natalie Wood . The rest of the cases are pretty well-known but having related to him and his problems is what the book is really about .
Kevin Muir
Apr 29, 2015 Kevin Muir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could have gone deeper

Very well written book, that could have dug deeper into the details of the findings. Seems each story was heavy on a beginning and an end, but lacked substance in the middle. For some that can be a turn off when reading, for me, I just chalk it up to my personal preference when reading a book. I didn't really seem to care that this particular book was written this way, as I enjoy police and everyday people type books.
Jennifer Giles Hinojosa
I found this book to be average. The author spends a lot of the book talking about his personal work issues and his stories about death are pretty short. it would have been a better read for me if there had been more detail into the deaths and how he came to his conclusions. Aside from some interesting tidbits the book was a little boring.
Sflauchle
Sep 30, 2014 Sflauchle rated it it was amazing
Read this book when I was 13 - lent to me by my uncle a neurosurgeon. I honestly believe it was a part of my excitement about science and medicine.
I am too afraid to be CSI/detective/coroner type - think this book even gave me a few nightmares
I have often looked for this book to share with others and it has been challenging to find.
Janet C.
Mar 24, 2014 Janet C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at some of the information in this book by Thomas T. Noguchi. I am old enough to remember all the individuals in the book and there seemed to be more details than the news media reported. Very interesting and worth my time to read.
Edie
Nov 15, 2013 Edie rated it really liked it
Written in 1983 and no where in the book will you see any use of DNA because they didn't have that amazing tool in their arsenal. Young people today might wonder how answers could arrive without it! Very interesting read....
Amethyst Shadow
Jun 02, 2009 Amethyst Shadow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Thomas Noguchi was the coroner who did autopsies on some of Hollywood's finest, including Elvis and Marilyn Monroe. He documents such cases in this book. It is an interesting read should you desire to know more about the deaths of famous people.
Shawna
Sep 13, 2012 Shawna rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book. A look into REAl forensics and the procedures used in crimes. Some of the stories are pretty brutal though, but still a hooking read.
Don
In the higher profile cases it does answer some questions, yet causing a few others to emerge still unanswered.

Not for faint of heart Readers.
Nancy
Dec 02, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Interesting. It was written in the 80's so some of it now has "the rest of the story". But I read it in one sitting so it isn't a big time commitment!
Lauren
Oct 13, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I found this in a box of my dad's old criminology books. So interesting. I've read it over and over.
Fishface
Jan 22, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few of the exploits of Hollywood's famous medical examiner. A fascinating read, well-written. The stories move right along and never bog down.
Pat
Jan 25, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime, history
For anyone interested in the Golden age of Hollywood and it's Stars, and their demises, a good read. Well written.
Andy
Feb 15, 2013 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noguchi skipped the details in favor of self-congratulation and ax grinding. Exactly the things he spent the book and his career trying to deny.
Shannen Mitchell Magee
Fantastic couldn't put it down book on the famous pathologist from Los Angeles County who conducted many high profile autopsies of the most famous movie greats.
Stacey Lewis
Jun 29, 2012 Stacey Lewis rated it liked it
Shelves: mason-related
While its a good book, I really felt it offered no new information about the cases he writes about. I might be good if you know nothing about celebrity deaths, but for me it was just ok.
Julie_ian_curtis
at first i thought there's too much self-justification going on here - then as you read on you understand why
  • The Blooding
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies That Threaten to Take Over America
  • A Cast of Killers
  • Forgotten News: The Crime of the Century and Other Lost Stories
  • The Mafia Encyclopedia
  • How the End Begins: The Road to a Nuclear World War III
  • Sweetheart, Sweetheart
  • Mafia Cop
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • Armed and Dangerous: The Hunt for One of America's Most Wanted Criminals
  • The Piano Teacher: The True Story of a Psychotic Killer
  • Takedown: The Fall of the Last Mafia Empire
  • Dead Reckoning: The New Science of Catching Killers
  • Murder in Mayberry: Greed, Death, and Mayhem in a Small Town
  • Kings of Cocaine
  • The Hollywood Book of Death: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of More than 125 American Movie and TV Idols
  • 666