Start by marking “Everything Will Be All Right: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Everything Will Be All Right: A Novel

Everything Will Be All Right: A Novel

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When Joyce Stevenson is thirteen, her family moves to the south of England to live with their aunt Vera. Vera and her sister Lil aren't at all alike. Vera, a teacher, has unquestioning belief in the powers of education and reason; Lil puts her faith in seances. Joyce is determined to be different: she falls in love with art (and her art teacher). Spanning five decades of e ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Picador (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Will Be All Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Will Be All Right

Amy
Oct 08, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Tessa Hadley's amazing. This is the second novel I've read by her (Accidents in the Home's the other) and I'm looking forward to reading her two new books. She's without a doubt one of the very best contemporary writers. Her characters are real and memorable and she makes them this way quickly, with lovely sentences and details. I thought the structure of the book was great. It opened with a contemporary scene, introducing us to four generations of women that it then moved back in time to show u ...more
Gretchen Achilles
Of all the Tessa Hadley books I've just read (3, started by a story in the New Yorker recently) This was the best. The plot sounds tired, a look at 4 generations of women in in one british family, but it is anything but. It is absolutely fascinating to see how the culture of each generation affects them, and how they change and age/come of age.
Sara Habein
I wanted to hug this book’s face off. If you’re not familiar with Sara-praise, that’s the kind of swooning compliment I reserve for Noel Gallagher and The West Wing. As in, I find very few faults in what I see, and the faults I do find, I brush off with the affection of an indulgent spouse. Talent moves me, particularly good writing.

So you’re saying you liked the book, Sara? Yes, I loved the book.

Intense longing, bedtime smells, English accents and complicated artists? Man, it’s like someone cre
Dave
Wonderful--Hadley sketches the four generations of this family in such lush detail. The women are all so realistically drawn--Zoe in particular reminds me of people I knew from school, who struggled when it came time to leave the world of the intelligentsia behind for family life and child-rearing.
Choi Peñalba Banda
If everything hurts, always remember that everything will be alright! ;)
Panda
Everything is not alright but gives us an interesting glimpse Into the 1950s.
Kathleen
Tessa ties four generations of strong women together with family tales of acceptance and rejection. The men come and go, but the women struggle within their generation to find meaning, despite life's ills and false starts. After I read Tessa Hadley in the New Yorker, I knew I had to go back and read her fiction.
Erin
Engaging. Chronicles the lives of three generations of English women over four decades of social and political change. Interesting to see how the daughters reject their mothers when they are young but return and mimic them later.
Christoph Fischer
Unlike her other work this book seemed difficult to get into and the multitude of characters was too confusing for me to settle in. Although masterfully written in terms of prose and style I was slightly disappointed.
Kasey Jueds
Another favorite Tessa Hadley novel; all her characters are real and compelling and sympathetic, and her books make me want to write "That's just like me!" over and over again in the margins.
Elaine
Slightly disappointed with this. I found the book difficult to get into as I kept losing track of who was who! Maybe that's just old age creeping in. Once I got that straight however I enjoyed i.
RH Walters
Didn't like this one as much as the others but still a breathtaking understanding of the nuance of emotion and personality.
Alicia
Fairly interesting - multiple generations of a family, told through various women's stories.
Michele St John
Everything Will Be All Right: A Novel by Tessa Hadley (2004)
Crystal
Beautiful and honest.
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Bridie
Bridie added it
Dec 21, 2014
Karen Badenfort
Karen Badenfort marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Roz Driver
Roz Driver marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • City of Your Final Destination
  • Molly Fox's Birthday
  • October Suite
  • The Collected Stories
  • A Banquet for Hungry Ghosts: A Collection of Deliciously Frightening Tales
  • Eyes of the Calculor (Greatwinter Trilogy #3)
  • Enchanted Objects: Design, Human Desire, and the Internet of Things
  • The House at Belle Fontaine: Stories
  • Tea
  • House Lights
  • Eleven
Tessa Hadley is the author of Sunstroke and Other Stories, and the novels The Master Bedroom, Everything Will Be All Right, and Accidents in the Home. She lives in Cardiff, Wales, and teaches literature and creative writing at Bath Spa University.
More about Tessa Hadley...
The London Train Clever Girl Married Love and Other Stories Sunstroke and Other Stories The Master Bedroom