Start by marking “Thunder of Heaven: A Joshua Jordan Novel” as Want to Read:
Thunder of Heaven: A Joshua Jordan Novel

Thunder of Heaven: A Joshua Jordan Novel (The End Series #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  513 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Thunder of Heaven pulls readers into an adrenaline-fueled thriller laced with End Times prophecy. From Tim LaHaye, creator and coauthor of the Left Behind series---the most successful adult fiction series ever written---and Craig Parshall comes an epic story ripped from the headlines of world events and filtered through Scriptural prophecy. Set in the near future, Edge of...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Zondervan (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder of Heaven

Joe
Biblical prophecy is beginning to shape reality. We are just far enough into the future to come across some interesting technology but not so far that we fail to recognize events captured in popular headlines. The end is near, and not even Joshua Jordan's anti-nuclear return to sender technology can stop global events moving from really bad to catastrophic.

Yes, you must read Edge of Apocalypse first.

It was a good read. I think, and this is a problem that plagues all serial collections, the autho...more
Sally
Fast-paced, with information on current events and Biblical prophecy. Yes, this is fiction but a similar scenario could play out in the near future. Read Edge of Apocalypse first so you know what's happened.
Adrienna
Some very intriguing parts, dealing with possible nuke threats from either Russia, North Korea, or Iran. But most of us suspect it will be from either Russia and/or China, also Iran and Iraq could be on the map for such threats if we involved ourselves with Israel (to help protect this country).

Amazingly, the killer who threatened and nearly murdered Cal Jordan, may still be on the loose...and Cal is not convinced he is dead as reports state otherwise. RTS (Return-to-Sender missiles) isn't work...more
Michelle
I am approaching the review of this book from two different directions, one writing style and the other the illustration of Biblical prophecy in a fictional story format.

I recall reading LaHaye's Left Behind series at roughly the same time I was getting into the Harry Potter series. I found myself having the same response to the writing in Thunder of Heaven as I did to the Left Behind series. This is an interesting story but I really wish he (LaHaye) had the writing skill of J.K. Rowling. That...more
Gail Welborn
“Thunder of Heaven,” book two of Tim LaHaye and Craig Parshall’s “End series,” continues a fictionalized account of the “end of days” written about in Revelation. The time is the not too distant future. This time military hero Joshua Jordan, his influential family and wife, Abigail join with a group of underground patriots to stop a terrorist nuclear attack on New York City. An event that may include an attack on Israel, yet no one in government will listen to Joshua’s warning.

The story opens w...more
Victor Gentile
I had the privilege of interviewing Craig Parshall, on our radio show “Kingdom Highlights” for his new book, “Thunder of Heaven” Book Two in The End series published by Zondervan.

From the inside jacket flap: Joshua Jordan’s reputation is on the line when his controversial RTS system fails to protect Flight 199 as it takes off from Chicago and is shot down by a terrorist missile. The government is taking no chances and starts an investigation of Joshua’s entire defense program. Unfortunately, the...more
Joanne
Joshua Jordan and crew are back. This time, his RTS system fails to protect an airplane from a missile attack. But two other planes, also terrorits targets, are saved by RTS. Who is behind the attack and is it just the opening act in a far more devilish plot?

The country is terrified, but President Corland is suffering from blackouts due to mini strokes. Vice President Tulrude assumes the Presidency when Corland goes into a coma. There is reason to believe that more terrprist attacks are eminent...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Joshua Jordan's reputation is on the line when his controversial RTS system fails to protect Flight 199 as it takes off from Chicago and is show down by a terrorist missile. The government is taking no chances and starts an investigation of Joshua's entire defense program. Unfortunately, the Israelis, longtime allies of the United States, are desperate for the technology. When Joshua flies to the Middle East to assure them of the RTS's reliability, he is captured by the Iranians who wan the secr...more
Brenda
End time drama, full of page turning action, packed with suspense is what you will find in "Thunder Of Heaven," which is the second book in The End series.
I have never read anything by either of these authors, and really wish I would have read the first book in this series before reading this one. That said once I got a feel for who the characters were the plot of the story kept me riveted. Imagine not only that Israel is under attack but so is America, someone is planning on dropping a nuclear...more
Renee
Meet Col. Joshua Jordan. MIT grad. Retired colonel US Air Force. Former Air Force reconnaissance pilot. US defense contractor dealing with DC intrigue. His company, Jordan Technologies is a leading provider of defense systems for the US government. His wife Abigail is an accomplished lawyer. Daughter Deborah is at West Point. Son Cal is at Liberty University.

Josh even has his ownFacebook page at this link.(Seriously! It’s cool. Check it out.)

Josh is the hero of The End Series authored by Tim La...more
Seekingmylord
From the very first page, I was completely enthralled with Thunder of Heaven. I just could not put this book down once I started it! It is the second in The End Series by Tim LaHaye and Craig Parshall. It is set in the very near future, almost too near for comfort as we watch course of present day government policies work towards their obvious, but frightening, conclusions.

As I was given this book in exchange of an honest review, it was the first one I had read from the series and I was impresse...more
Marie
I liked this one better than the first in the series, and now I am hooked and will finish the series. I still find it hard to digest that one superhero family finds themselves in all the right places at the right times to advance the story, but I was fascinated with the way the authors created the scenario that led to all nations being against Israel and how that played out. I have often wondered how that will occur.
Jay
The first one was amazing...but doesn't even come close to how intense and awesome this one is. This one starts out kind of "ehhh...I've read this before" but then shocks the reader and wakes them up. I won't give away any spoilers...but have to say this is the best Christian action read I've ever read. I personally didn't think the authors had it in them, but was pleasantly surprised. It ended with me throwing my Kindle down on my bed upset wanting more right away! NOOOOOOOO!!!! I have to wait...more
Exanimis
For me this was a disappointing addition to this series. Israel is at war (so what's new)The Arab nations want to destroy Israel (do I need to repeat myself?) A Mega disaster hits New Jersey and all the American people do is go Oh! (but then again, it is New Jersey) Terrorists attack America and our government is more concerned on how they can twist this to blame Joshua Jordan. There are too many stereotypes in this book to consider commenting on in any detail, dramatic situations where someone...more
Sara
Thunder of Heaven by Tim LaHaye and Craig Parshall is the second book in “The End” series by these authors and picks up shortly after the first book (Edge of Apocalypse) ended.

Joshua Jordan and the Roundtable are still the main focus of the story. The U.S. government is still unhappy with Jordan and out to get him. He in turn is trying to help Israel, America’s longtime friend, set up their own version of the RTS missile defense system. Additionally, the group of people trying to control the ne...more
R_Frederick Riddle
I gave Edge of Apocalypse a 5 star rating and can do no less for Thunder of Heaven. If I was watching this as a movie, I would be on the edge of my seat and totally focused on what was happening.

What a description of the invasion of Israel and the total upending of that invasion. This invasion could happen in our days. We know it will happen before the beginning of the Tribulation, but does the Bible give any time frame for it?

Whether the invasion happens before or after the Rapture, it will tak...more
Suzan Pinciotti
Try to read this and try to see how today's events are lining up ...
Kathleen Meacham
Second book in the series, and just as in the first, a big exciting hook in the beginning, only to introduce what seems like an endless plethora of characters throughout. At least I already knew some of the people from the previous book. Unfortunately, to me the story stalls at various times due to what seems like a continuous set-up of additional plots along with all of these new characters. That said, I do appreciate the spiritual message conveyed, which has always been LaHayes strong suit. Th...more
Kelly Brown
I would give it a little more than 4 stars. As Jimmy Fallon says, "so good, so good, so good." It took me a little longer to read than normal...too many good books going on the same time. This book was action packed. The first book set this one up perfectly. It leaves you with....knowing the general jist of what is going to happen, but josh and Abby are on diffeent continents, and Josh is in some serious federal trouble for stupid reasons.....I have a feeling the next book in theseries is going...more
Melissa aka navynurse

Tim LaHaye has written another awesome novel that so blends Bible prophecy with current world events and news to create a very believable end times scenario. Current world problems such as fuel, global warming, Israel, and the Middle East in general are addressed and tied to scriptural prophecy to create a very believable end times scenario set in the near future. The book is fast paced and is a great action, adventure novel on its own. It is a great read and I cannot wait for the next book in...more
Mark
This was another excellent book from author Tim Lahaye. I have been a long time fan of the Left Behind series and am glad I came across this new series called the end series. I missed the first book Edge of Apocalypse but will be picking it up soon.
Jennie
I really enjoyed the follow up to Edge of the Apocalypse. If you are a fan of Tim Lahaye's Left Behind series you will enjoy this series as well. It continues to develop a compelling storyline of Joshua Jordan and his family. There are several near misses that include: nuclear bombing in the US, total annihilation of Israel, and a hostage situation. It makes you think about the future of our society since the storyline rings true of the world we are currently living.
Michele
Sequel to Edge of Apocalypse. Fictional account of what events could be like as we approach the end of days and the 2nd coming of Jesus. Based upon the author's interpretations of the prophecies in the Bible. Even if you are not Christian, it is a strong story line with compelling characters. The main storyline revolves around Joshua Jordan and his family and how they work to protect America. Politics play a large role. It is a good read and I recommend it.
Paul Varner
Bible prophesy and end times woven into a modern day story of what might happen just prior to Jesus' return to earth.

Two nuclear bombs are smuggled into NYC area, Nuclear rockets are fired toward Israel from Iran, and an overwhelming force is about to invade Israel. Russia, Iran, Turkey, Syria, etc are united under Russian control and intent on destroying the Jew's homeland and all the people in it.
Wanda
If you like end time fiction, this is a good series. Sets the stage for the rapture in the "Left Behind" series even though it was written after "Left Behind."
Anne
I always find end of times stories interesting and this book did not disappoint. They did a nice job showing the biblical side of things while weaving an intriguing plot of terroism and espionage while showing how politics infulences so many things in so many ways with a healthy dose of mother nature showing her true power. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Andy
I love this series. Again, end times books fascinate me to no end, and this book delivers in a way not seen in other end times series. I really like how many of the events that occur behind the political scenes seem to mirror what is going on right now in America. Can't wait until the next one is released.....
This book is a prequel of sorts to the Left Behind series. It is a quick read and follows along the lines of the other books. I have to admit this book seemed to be particularly relevant with the missile strikes scenario in Israel and the future antichrist being involved in the environmentalist movement.
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • The Tehran Initiative (The Twelfth Imam, #2)
  • Lion of Babylon
  • The Paradise Trilogy
  • Vigilante
  • The 13th Tribe
  • Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Double Blind
  • Not in the Heart
  • The Guardian
  • Soul's Gate (A Well Spring Novel, #1)
  • Lady Anne's Quest (Prairie Dreams, #2)
  • End of State (Left Behind Political #1)
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
Timothy "Tim" F. LaHaye is an American evangelical Christian minister, author, and speaker, best known for the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction, which he co-wrote with Jerry B. Jenkins.

He has written over 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction.
More about Tim F. LaHaye...
Left Behind (Left Behind, #1) Tribulation Force (Left Behind, #2) Nicolae (Left Behind, #3) Soul Harvest: The World Takes Sides (Left Behind, #4) Apollyon (Left Behind, #5)

“We can absorb a terrorist attack. President Barack Obama, quoted in Obama’s Wars by Bob Woodward” 0 likes