Start by marking “Contentment (After Happily Ever)” as Want to Read:
Contentment (After Happily Ever)

Contentment (After Happily Ever)

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Tracy Sullivan seems to have it all, a handsome, devoted husband, three beautiful children, a steady career, and the perfect suburban home; but she isn’t happy.

The petty resentments that have built over fifteen years of marriage surface when Tracy tells her husband, Sean, that she is no longer interested in sex, and their marriage threatens to implode.

For the sake of their
Published (first published June 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Contentment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contentment

Michelle Kelly
Jul 25, 2011 Michelle Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read
I have just been truly blown away and wow'd by this moving book "Contentment". I can't ever remember reading a novel where I so closely related to the characters and the plot. This book hit me on a personal level like no other book ever has. A must read for married women.

Tracy is lost. She is not sure when she lost herself or who she has become. Somewhere along the way of raising 3 beautifully healthy children, a stable home, a loyal husband, Tracy has become the woman her mom/wife role has dic
Julie Doner
Jul 10, 2011 Julie Doner rated it it was amazing
Suzanne Barrett
Jul 15, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing
Tracy McGill had a plan: finish her degree, move into an exciting career, eventually marry and have a family. She didn’t plan on falling for a hunky builder at age twenty-three, and she certainly didn’t plan on having three children before the degree or the perfect job. But she has them, and even though she loves her children and doesn’t want a divorce from husband Sean Sullivan, Tracy is not happy. Something’s broken, and she doesn’t know how to fix it.
They share parenting duties; Sean cooks th
Carol
Aug 06, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing
This book comes with a built-in diet plan, because, trust me, once you start reading it you will not want to put it down, not even to eat. All you'll care about is Tracy and Sean, their family and friends, and how on earth they'll ever get their lives put back together. The author, Margaret Ethridge, has the most amazing gift for dialogue. She's also able to zoom in on the bits and pieces of everyday life and incorporate them into her stories so that you feel completely at home with the characte ...more
Renee Vincent
Mar 14, 2012 Renee Vincent rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!!! I will read ANYTHING this woman puts out! Her characters are so real and unforgettable. Sean and Tracy will pull at your heartstrings! You will find yourself rooting for them. Literally.
Tina Carlile
Jan 19, 2012 Tina Carlile rated it it was amazing
Such a good book. I just couldn't put it down. Cant wait to read the next book.
Romancing the Book
Nov 19, 2011 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Review by JoAnne: This was a novel that surprised me with its depth at times and other times at the shallowness of the two main characters, especially Tracy. It was a little confusing how the author kept going back and forth to their earlier life and then the present especially when Tracy would go back to the past in her thoughts in a present day chapter. Tracy didn't seem happy from the beginning of their relationship but she always acquiesced and did what she thought others wanted her to do. W ...more
Todd Garrison
Jul 19, 2011 Todd Garrison rated it it was amazing
Such a heartfelt and realistic exploration of a marriage (and a wife and mother) on the brink of disaster. Tracy McGill Sullivan's story - how she met, fell in love with and married her husband - and how things nearly fell completely apart is presented in an unflinchingly clear-eyed yet humorous tone.

Author Margaret Ethridge has an ear for the way people actually talk, and for the way that couples relate to each other at all stages of relationships. Her approach here is to present the story at
Lindi Peterson
Sep 21, 2011 Lindi Peterson rated it really liked it
First off, let’s talk about the cover. I loved it! It’s my kind of cover. Fun, romancey, and those shoes. Well, those shoes have a lot to say. On the cover and in the book. But I’m not giving spoilers here, so you’ll have to read to see what those shoes are about. Let me just say, after reading this book if you don’t own any fun red shoes, you just might go buy a pair.
Contentment is about Tracy and Sean, a married couple who have lost their way. Margaret Ethridge starts the book in current time,
Kris Jayne
May 26, 2014 Kris Jayne rated it it was amazing
Love the different use of time in this book. Seeing how the hero and the heroine first fall in love while you also see their present-day marriage. Highly realistic, but still funny and satisfying romance.
Jul 15, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
I knew this book would be a great read, and it is that but so much more. Drawing on styles from chick lit and romance this is really a relationship novel for grown-ups. Writing from two perspectives shifting along multiple points in the timeline of a long-term relationships, this author deftly and subtly creates a world that will feel authentic to anyone who has weathered the highs and lows of long term relationships. All that and some truly steamy passages just where they need to be.
Rae
Mar 12, 2012 Rae rated it really liked it
As a woman who is in year 8 of marriage at almost the same age as the characters, I was moved by the fact that this book was about every day struggles, big and small. There were many moments that I was reminded of my marriage. It was so refreshing to read a book that with real characters, not perfect ones. Thank you Margaret Ethridge! I might just go buy a pair of red shoes :)
Keri Ford
Aug 09, 2011 Keri Ford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
an EMOTIONALLY PACKED sweet romance. Love the story unfolding of a married couple trying to hold it all together. this story I think will touch a LOT of married people. Marriage isn't always easy and this one proves it...but when marriage is sweet, it's so very sweet. and this proves that too.

Margaret Ethridge's Contentment is a story I won't be forgetting anytime soon.
Heather Mckenna
Jan 05, 2012 Heather Mckenna rated it it was amazing
It was sad to see the couple go through the things they did but it was nice to read about a real marriage for once. Not all of them are perfect the whole way through. Big thumbs up to a great book that was not all rainbows, flowers and unicorns.
Tracy
Feb 10, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Read the ending twice before I laid the book down. I felt like I was Tracy at times, I could so relate with some of her feelings. Great read and one that I will think about for a while. Great job Mrs Ethridge!
Christine
Jul 01, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I could really relate to Tracy, from her asking herself if there should be more to her life, to losing herself in stories of fictional happy couples.

I definitely recommend this book.
Roxie
Feb 21, 2013 Roxie rated it really liked it
Totally not what I was expecting. I'm so used to delightfully smutty romance from Mags that this one threw me for a loop. I think a LOT of us wives/mothers can relate to this book.
JoAnne
Jan 08, 2012 JoAnne rated it really liked it
you can read my review on romancing-the-book.com by clicking on the link below

Kate
Jul 10, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
Finished this last night after not being able to put it down. Loved it, Margaret Ethridge does not disappoint! :)
Diochel
Diochel marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
LaDonna
LaDonna marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Karen Anderson
Karen Anderson rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Shona
Shona marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Alexandra Draven
Alexandra Draven marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Michaela B
Michaela B marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Farida Bedwei
Farida Bedwei marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Margaret Ethridge lives with a sweet-talking Southern gentleman who claims to be her lawfully-wedded husband. She is the (not-so-wicked-but-she-has-her-moments) step-mother to their two children, the adoring mistress of three spoiled dogs, the food purveyor to eleven hungry goldfish, and the comic foil for one rather impertinent house rabbit who thinks he rules the roost.

More about Margaret Ethridge...