Start by marking “The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great” as Want to Read:
The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great

The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great

If you ve got a love and passion for photography, and a feel for your camera gear and settings, yet your images still fall short "The Passionate Photographer" will help you close that disappointing and frustrating gap between the images you thought you took and the images you actually got.
This book will help you determine what you want to say with your photography, then t
Published July 30th 2011 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Passionate Photographer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Passionate Photographer

John
Sep 20, 2016 John rated it really liked it
I'm totally inspired. Basic message - get out and shoot pictures to learn technically and discovery your photographic passion. Tomorrow I'll make a list of photo projects.
Rasha Yousif
Apr 09, 2014 Rasha Yousif rated it it was amazing
This is the best investment you can make as a photographer whether you just bought your first camera or you are already on your way to becoming a full time photographer. I was lucky enough to attend Steve Simon’s the passionate photographer workshop in Dubai and reading this book I could relate to Steve’s stories and advices. The book is written in a very clear language (no complicated stuff here!). Steve walks the readers through the 10 steps to becoming a great photographer. It just makes ...more
Cat
Apr 23, 2013 Cat rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Simon as a super, enthusiastic approach to photography and the ability to laugh at his own early - and not-so-early - mistakes. I liked his 'ten steps' and the way they are laid out in a logical hierarchy of skills.

Unfortunately for me, a film photographer, the bulk of the book's technical advice was strongly aimed at those with digital cameras and much of it didn't translate. If you're a digital photographer, this an informative and accessible 4 star book; if you're a film user, take his genera
Steve Losh
Aug 09, 2014 Steve Losh rated it really liked it
A pretty good book. It's pretty heavily skewed toward photojournalism (there's large sections about shooting strangers, for example), but this isn't necessarily a bad thing even if that's not your style.

There's also some practical gems hidden here and there, like a way to manage autofocus that I tried and ended up sticking with because it works so well.

I took off one star because the book does sound start to sound dangerously close to a feel-good self-help book in parts. But there's still a lot
Sergey
Apr 19, 2012 Sergey rated it really liked it
Хорошая книга, очень хорошая, ибо дает четкие и, главное, действенные советы. Они правда чрезвычайно простые, но на самом-то деле секретов особо и нет - нужно просто много работать, пробовать, общаться и все получится :)

Полезность книги можно оценивать тем, что ты изменил в своей жизни - у меня множество изменений - работаю над собственным сайтом, начал постить в Twitter, начал больше фотографировать.
Gaston Lacombe
Aug 01, 2011 Gaston Lacombe rated it it was amazing
Great books for all photographers - beginners and not-so-beginners. Reviews things which for photographers are really quite basic, but that are often overlooked, set aside, forgotten or ignored. It helps to bring better perspective to who you are as a photographer and how you can get better at it, more psychologically than simply technically. A great tool for photographers going through "photographer's block", looking for ways to re-ignite the career and the passion.
JW
Jul 24, 2012 JW rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Although I didn't pick up anything really new I did hear valid and useful information in a new way and from someone whose passion speaks to me. Simon knows his craft and knows how to relate passion and excellence to someone willing to receive it. For me, this book ranks with the Vision series by David DuChemin. It will certainly become dog-eared over time from reference.
Jabali Sawicki
Jan 12, 2016 Jabali Sawicki rated it it was amazing
One the best books on photography I've read. Clear, relevant, informative, practical, and inspiring. A lot of good gems in here for anybody thinking of taking their photography to the next level. Will definitely come back to this often.
Michael Tapp
Dec 15, 2014 Michael Tapp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photo
Not only a great photographer, but Steve Simon is also a great writer. This book shows you a way to chart a plan to becoming a stronger photographer. The book is geared to documentary photogs, but I think it's still really informative for pictorialists since the book is really about setting goals.
Pat Loughery
Jun 28, 2014 Pat Loughery rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent text -focused on strategically and intentionally improving as a photographer. From technique, vision, business, education, and many other perspectives, I have a better idea of what I need to do in my photography work. This came along at the right time for me.
Deb
Jun 12, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
I wish I had found this book 3 years ago when I started my college photog classes. I think it should be a "must read" for all first level digital photography courses.

One to be kept for future reference and inspiration.
Bader
Mar 01, 2015 Bader rated it it was amazing
It's a passionate book by a a passionate photographer. I recommend it for all photographers or photographers to-be.
Curt Gerston
Curt Gerston rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Stephen Young
Stephen Young rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
Kate Millo-ybanez
Kate Millo-ybanez rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Adriano Yamazawa
Adriano Yamazawa rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Fitz
Fitz rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Jm
Jm rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Leon
Leon rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
john wai hung lam
john wai hung lam rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Michael Paulini
Michael Paulini rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2016
Leslie Godwin
Leslie Godwin rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Thomas Schmidt
Thomas Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Diane P
Diane P rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2013
Sukrita
Sukrita rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
James Bellorini
James Bellorini rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2012
Benjamin Heiber
Benjamin Heiber rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Karen Cooke
Karen Cooke rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Brian Brooks
Brian Brooks rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Vision & Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Chasing the Light: Improving Your Photography with Available Light
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Gregory Heisler: 50 Portraits: Stories and Techniques from a Photographer's Photographer
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Street Photography Now
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image
  • Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers.
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting