Start by marking “Higglety Pigglety Pop!” as Want to Read:
Higglety Pigglety Pop!

Higglety Pigglety Pop!

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,028 ratings  ·  95 reviews
A daring imagination has woven a simple rhyme into a brilliantly original tale [about Jennie, the Sealyham terrier, who seeks Experience and becomes the star of the World Mother Goose Theatre].Notable Children's Books of 1967 (ALA)
1968 Fanfare Honor List (H)
Best Books of 1967 (SLJ)
Children's Books of 1967 (Library of Congress)
Published June 1st 1979 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Higglety Pigglety Pop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Higglety Pigglety Pop!

Alice
Jun 13, 2007 Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This is one of the most special books of my childhood, and admittedly an unusual one. This is a somewhat dark book for a child - really, it's not meant for children. It's about a dissatisfaction with the norm and with perfection, and the (often futile) quest to find "experience" and "something more." It's not a book with a heartwarming lesson, and it's actually quite surreal. Sendak wrote it to deal with the death of his beloved dog Jennie. I love this book dearly and recommend it to anyone goin ...more
Justyn Rampa
Sendak once again creates a children's book with very adult themes. Dissatisfaction with your life, clinging to the dream and possibility of what you could be, and what it really means to have everything. The story itself is about a terrier who has seemingly has everything but wants more. In particular, Jennie wants to be the leading lady in The World Mother Goose Theater. The book is rich and densely layered with the themes. The illustrations are intricate black and white drawings. It appears t ...more
A. Gamble
This was one of my favorite books as a child and has remained so in my adult years. It is the longest of Sendak's works, perhaps because it covers so many themes: the meaninglessness of materialism, dissatisfaction with one's lifestyle, the value of unusual experiences, the cunning necessary to survive, the true "having it all."

5/8/12 - I reread it today, after learning Sendak had died. Jennie is based on Sendak's own dog, Jennie, and the book was written as her memorial. Even as a child, I rea
Beth
I must have read this book every night before bedtime for years and years of my childhood. There's just something so creepy and fascinating about it -- I think it's impossible to put your finger on it, but I remember being drawn to it even when there were plenty of new books to tackle. The illustration is particularly chilling. If it seems a little odd (or completely bizarre) when you first check it out, give it another chance. Sendak is a genius.
Paul
Sep 13, 2008 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone -- adults and children
I found this book at a used book store. Many may be familiar with the author Maurice Sendak who also wrote “Where the Wild Things Are,” but this is not the same kind of book in many ways. From the lines of Mother Goose, Mr. Sendak elaborates a modern tale of multiple themes. Its comic surface is the tale of Jennie the Sealyham terrier, who packs her black leather bag with the gold buckles and goes out into the world to look for something more than everything. Besides the story, it is also the ma ...more
Lars Guthrie
Don’t be expecting ‘Where the Wild Things Are,’ because this is wilder and far more quirky. If you are only familiar with the illustrative style Sendak uses in ‘Wild Things’ or ‘Night Kitchen,’ this will serve as a good introduction to a darker and more intricate Sendak, steeped in Doré and Dürer.

Jennie, a terrier who seems to pop up in other Sendak books, packs her black leather bag with gold buckles and is off on a mission to answer the question implicit in ‘Higglety’s’ subtitle. The answer is
Joseph
"There must be more to life than having everything!"

This book was recommended to me very recently by a friend who loves Maurice Sendak with all of his heart. So, I definitely expected something lovely, but was surprised by just how much this story endeared and moved me.

This book is:
-delightful
-wisely written
-frothing at the brim with whimsy
-beautifully illustrated (I MEAN, COME ON! IT'S SENDAK!)
-full of good lessons

Also, there is a narration by Tammy Grimes that truly is remarkable. Her
Tamsen
I have thought about this book for years. I couldn't remember the title and though I had ransacked my parents' bookshelves, it wasn't one that had made the cut from childhood to empty nest.

I remember being fascinated by this book. I remember reading it, at about age 7, and being fixated on things - the dark theme, the deeper meanings I didn't understand, the illustrations.

I've been looking for this book for 22 years. All I could recall was a gigantic baby, an animal (I though penguin?) with a s
Heather
One of Sendak's best stories about the importance of appreciating the life you have, while you have it -- all told through the eyes of a sassy little dog. The end always makes me tear up.
Diana Ford
How have I not rated this before? This is one of those glorious books of childhood that will never ever leave my mind. I still go to it when I need a bit of comfort or just some quirky fun. The play at the end has been forever etched into my memory and I will find myself reciting it in my head at the most random moments. Perhaps I'll write more later on this. I was just shocked to see I hadn't given it any stars, though I reference it often (even though I may be the only one who gets it). Also, ...more
Wendolyn Aragon
Jun 20, 2007 Wendolyn Aragon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pet owners, anyone in need of inspiration
It's true . . . when beloved pets move on, they don't really die. They join theatre troops and lead a life less ordinary. And don't you dare try to tell me different!
Kent
I purchased a copy of this book while visiting the Rosenbach Museum and Library in Philadelphia which currently is exhibiting a selection of Maurice Sendak's original illustrations and papers from the 1960s. Higglety Pigglety Pop was written about Sendak's dog Jennie and her fictional adventure as the star of the World Mother Goose Theater. Even though I'm a big fan of Sendak's work I had read this story on my own or to my kids...the special thing about Sendak's books is that they're as much for ...more
Ivan
The story is cute, but the art work is staggeringly good. Make me want to rush out and get a dog just like Jennie.
Samara
Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More To Life is one of Maurice Sendak’s lesser known books. Sendak is of course famous for the children’s classic Where The Wild Things Are. This work is considerably longer than Where the Wild Things Are and is divided into chapters. Higglety Pigglety Pop! is similar to Sendak’s other work in its distinctive style of illustration. It also explores the features of the English language through a wide variety of descriptive elements that paint a picture alm ...more
Aah, Sendak, writer and illustrator of 'difficult' children's picture books.

I was instantly hooked by the idea of Jennie the Sealyham Terrier (there turns out to have been a real Jennie the Sealyham to whose memory the book is dedicated) and Sendak captures her with aching beauty. Although it is an anthropomorphic tale, there is a very solid sense of dog.

It is difficult to know what to make of the story, as so often with Sendak. Jennie is dissatisfied with her 'perfect' life and leaves home sayi
Runi
This is the first (and the last, don't fret) book that I've never returned to the library. But I was a careless little kid then, so you can't blame me for it.

Anyway. Higglety Pigglety Pop is basically a kids' book. Where dogs talk to plants, cats drive milk wagons, lions eat nurses (wait, that could happen in real life...), and they all would... wait. I can't write the ending, right? Point is, they do things that only animals in fables do.

The moral of the story, however, in my opinion, is unlik
Julie
What a strange story. I'm not sure quite what to make of it. It has Sendak's wonderful rhythms, and of course his amazing illustrations. Jennie is not a very likable protagonist, though, which is kind of unusual for a children's book.

I don't know - I liked the story, but I'm not sure why! And I certainly liked the experience of reading it. So, I'll go with four stars.
Linda Lipko
Jennie the dog has everything a dog or man could ask for. Seeking adventure, she leaves her life of comfort. Meeting characters from the World Mother Goose Theatre, she longs to become a member.

Alas, she must first have real life experience and adventures. When she lands a job as a nanny to a spoiled baby, her adventure begins. Unable to get the baby to eat, previous nannies were eaten by the family lion. Instead, this time, the lion eats baby.

As the tale ends, Jennie joins the troup, the lion a
Rob
A somewhat bizarre but delightful tale about a pampered pet's quest to find meaning in her existence. It's a bit of a stretch to call this a children's book. I recommend reading it both as an adult and as a child, and comparing the experiences from both viewpoints. (Because I read it for the first time in the summer of my years, I suppose I'll have to read it as a child second.)

Also, in this story Baby provides a very clear example of an early cognitive stage in language development, as she uses
Matt Hill
sendak called this his best work on an episode of *the colbert report* they aired shortly after the author died . . had to read it just for that reason . . it's "for kids," but my experience is that esp. earlier kids books are just as relevant to adults as well . . as for this one, i'm *sure* there's something more going on with the story--it's "meaning" etc.--but i'm not completely sure what it's supposed to be .. may have to think on it a bit more . . do some wikipediaing . . anyway, it was en ...more
Rachel
This was my favorite book when I was little; I still remember it with incredible fondness, although it's been 10+ years since I last read it. The illustrations lend this books a dark and occasionally foreboding feel, which the plot extrapolates though its recurring theme of longing and dissatisfaction; Jennie, the dog who has everything, is no longer satisfied with her cosseted existence and leaves home to search the wide world for life's true meaning. This book, though disguised as a children's ...more
Megan
Miss Jennie, a dog were are told who, "has everything", leaves her master in search for something more. When her path crosses with that of a pig offering free sandwhiches, while also searching for the lead actress of a play, Miss Jennie is off in search of more food and experience for the role she hopes to have. A smart and clever chain of events leads to Miss Jennie finding more than she expected out of life. Sendak's black and white illustrations are detailed, so be sure to pay close attention ...more
Dusty
Dec 26, 2007 Dusty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want a good thing
this is the book that taught me how to read as a kid. my sisters and mom read it to me so many times that i memorized all the words. the pictures taught me how to read more than the words though. amazing story telling through touching drawings and dialogue. jenny the dog must figure out how to feed baby or be eaten by a lion. "no eat!" says baby who grows into a huge baby and then turns into someone else. jenny joins the theater group and has a dog's life of her own. not someone elses. it is a b ...more
Ben
Jun 10, 2013 Ben marked it as to-re-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I've been trying to track down this book for about a decade (didn't help that it was read to me as a kid and I didn't remember the title).

I should probably put this on a list of 'books I read as a kid that haunted to me into adult-hood). Some of the images (like a dog looking up at the moon and a baby with a pig) I used to try and do webserarches but nothing ever came up (I haven't actually done a re-read yet so it's possible those images aren't in the book and my child brain actually just made
Amy
Road trip in the form of a children's book. I was just thinking about how the best books are the ones that are deceptively simple but actually quite suitable for adults and children! Meaning this is the perfect book imho! Quite perfect. I hate the books that lecture you about how you return back to your former boring life because you never needed to actually leave blah blah. I know it's true but sometimes, it's nice to arrive at a new place and stay there doing something fantastically new.
Miguel
A. really liked it. Probably because it was so whimsical and difficult for her to comprehend.
Kate
One of my personal all-time favorite books, full stop. It's too long for class read-alouds, and the pictures are too small for a lot of kids, but it's worth working up to. Also a totally worthwhile read for all adults since the language is amazing, and my family still gets a laugh out of "baby no eat!" Also a great foooood book. The sandwich board! The pancakes! Eyedrops, eardrops, and a bottle of pills! There must be more to life.
Valerie Stonesifer
This is really kind of a creepy book. I think the moral of the story was: If you are dissatisfied with life you should run away from everyone who loves you, be really selfish, make bad decisions and you will live happily ever after. I loved it though.
Jesse
I just do not understand why people like this book so much. Personally I have to question a story that seems to praise a character for abandoning their loving family. Not to mention the fact that this dog Jennie is a total jerk. I mean, she not only eats a plant for giving her some advice, but she also takes advantage of a cat that was kind enough to give her a ride by eating all of his deliveries! What the hell!
Lulubunni
one of my favorite books ever!
about a little dog who has everything, and still thinks there must be more to life...

• Dear Mili
  • The Rainbow Goblins
  • East of the Sun & West of the Moon
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
  • The Amazing Bone
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)
  • The Art of Maurice Sendak
  • Zlateh the Goat and Other Stories
  • Corgiville Fair
  • The Lonely Doll
  • Open House for Butterflies
  • The Tale of Ginger and Pickles
  • Brundibar
  • Father Bear Comes Home
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...
Where the Wild Things Are Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months In the Night Kitchen Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue Outside Over There

“There must be more to life than having everything!” 310 likes
“May I ask what you have in your black leather bag with gold buckles?"
"Everything." They were climbing a narrow staircase. Rhoda stopped to look when Jennie opened her bag.
"You do have everything."
"I have even more," Jennie said modestly. "Two windows that I left at home.”
2 likes