Start by marking “The Last Rogue” as Want to Read:
The Last Rogue

The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet #4)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
10TH ANNIVERSARY

Raleigh Hadn't Gambled On Finding A Virgin In His Bed--

but when he awoke next to Jane Trowbridge, he knew all bets for bachelorhood were off. Now, instead of a love match, he'd gotten a sparring partner.

Jane had never imagined herself anyone's lawfully wedded wife, and now ironic fate had bound her to a hedonistic viscount who was a Tulip of the Ton. Still,
Published July 15th 2011 by Harlequin Treasury-Harlequin Historicals 90s (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Rogue

Kagama-the Literaturevixen
2.5

Its refreshing to read about a hero who isnt a rake or rogue.There are way too few fops and dandies about. Who doesnt love a man who dresses fashionably and isnt afraid to flaunt it? ;)

I really liked the heros sense of humor and his observations of things around him (and the heroine of course) He wasnt just a dandy/fop because of some vague reasons. It was a kind of rebellion for him (against his all too proper parents) at first I think,but it had become part of his personality in time. He ha
Caz
4.5 stars rounded up.

Review to follow.
Aisha
Dec 10, 2015 Aisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is beautiful!!
The book started out in a very annoying fashion. At the beginning, I despised the hero, Viscount Raleigh, and felt bad for Jane. However, as book progresses, my disliking for the hero lessens until it disappears.

Jane is a unique person. She is the uptight, plainly dressed, glasses wearing, and outwardly boring person who restrains her inner self that craves indulgence.

Raleigh, on the other hand, is outgoing, laid back, and seems to care more about fashion than anything el
namericanwordcat
I discovered this book in my recent search for a books with dandy heroes. This book did not disappoint. It was fun with complex characters. It had a little bit of a Scooby Doo/gothic mystery in the middle of it which was a very good time and a surprise! There was gradual love here which I liked.

If you like beta heroes, bookworms, child-of-clergy, close-family, compromised, cynical-heroine, dandy, emotional-real-sex, english-romance,, glasses, good-girl, gothic, in-the-shadow-of, inheritance, ki
~Sara~
Feb 09, 2011 ~Sara~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this story many years ago but I couldn't get it out of my mind even though I had forgotten all but the basic storyline. So, after much online searching and questions in several groups, someone (thank you Allison) finally came up with the title for me and I wasted no time finding it and rereading it. It's not very often that a Harlequin story sticks with me like that, usually I've forgotten most of it within a week, but I'm not letting this one be forgotten again - thanks to Goodreads it w ...more
SidneyKay
Aug 27, 2014 SidneyKay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
May
Sweet, simple

Jane "Plane Jane" is one day found on the same bed as viscount Raleigh. He do the right, gentlemanly thing and marries her.

This is the story of how they cope with each other after marriage

Plus there is mystery elements in the story

Love/Gothic
Janet
If by chance you wake up in the bed of a virgin, to whom you are not married, you soon will be. And so the charming and dandified viscount Raleigh finds himself married to a plan Jane. Somewhat of a road trip and a lovely tale.

Edited to add I read this book again as a palette refresher after a string of dismal Regencies. There's some fun poked at Gothic Romances. As enjoyable as ever!
Apr 14, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, period
As far as romance novels go, this is a good one. The hero is hilarious and refreshingly not a brooder or a smoulderer! Yes, the heroine was a bit of a shrew buti liked her for it- she was a total contrast to the hero and had a lot of backbone. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Shirley
Mar 06, 2014 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really cute. It's the historical romance version of cute guy falls in love w geeky girl. Totally not possible, but we don't read romance novels for reality do we?
Rachel
Mar 05, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG Jane is such a bitch! I hate her. I know they were thrown together but come on. She doesn't have to be such a harpy!! She says she don't want to have sex with him and chews him out when he's checking her out. But yet when he doesn't come to bed her, she says it's cause she's too ugly. Well what do you want you shrew?!?! For him to look at you or not? He tries to talk with her, she's rude every time. Eh she's a horrid woman. She's given nice gowns to wear, she'd rather wear ugly crap. Total s ...more
Lord Rose
I adored the hero. There really are far too few dandy heroes out there, and I wish there were more. And the hero was rather unusual in other ways, too. He wasn't rich, and was actually living on (and occasionally exceeding) an allowance from his father, without secretly making investments or being amazing at gambling or whatever. He's actually the type of character that is far more often an unwanted suitor or useless brother- and I liked that.

The heroine was kind of annoying at times, though. Sh
Spazfungus
Fun, quick read. nothing special

***spoiler summary***
Raleigh wakes up after a night in his cups to find him beside Plain Jane. Jane's sister Charlotte had sent her to the guest bedroom. Raleigh's friend Earl of Wycliffe, return home late and not knowing Jane had arrived, sent the inebriated Raleigh also to the guest bedroom. Jane and Raleigh marry. They set out to his inheritance (left to him by his uncle) Craven Hall, which seems haunted, but in fact is used by smugglers to store good. The smug
Mary23nm
Cute story. Likeable hero. There wasn't much to like about the prickly heroine initially, but the author pulled through and caused me to warm up to her. It was a slow building romance with a mystery. (view spoiler) ...more
Makii
May 07, 2012 Makii rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro ligero, que a pesar de ser histórico no ahonda en hechos, fechas ni nada de eso. Solo toma un par de aspectos de las sociedades de esas épocas.
El, el típico Dandy que vive a causa de sus encantos. Ella la mujer que se esconde para evitar demostrar quien es. Entre medio, la sociedad que humilla a quienes no tienen dinero ni belleza.
Una historia de amor que surge lentamente, pero que resulta tierna.
No es el destino que ellos hubieran elegido, pero gracias a ellos obtienen lo mas importan
Quinn
Jun 03, 2012 Quinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably a 3.5. A horror-tinged suspense novel as well as a romance, which the cover does not mention. I don't like suspense that much, but I liked this one well enough to finish it.

I thought Jane's shift was a too drastic when it happened. Raleigh's change was a little more realistic, but not by much. I liked both characters, but didn't love them. I did root for them both over the course of the novel, even though Jane was a unfair, priggish b*tch for much of the story.

I wish the epilogue would
Ani
Feb 18, 2016 Ani rated it it was ok
Shelves: have-it
Totally had potential :( but in the end turned out stupid and annoying.

- Sick of him saying "lud"- one more time, and i'll scream! Even sicker of her "sniffing" all the time - make it stop!!!

- oh really, you HAD to realise you loved him from the time you were 14- it wasn't enough to fall in love now?? Oh- you didn't dislike him before, not really, it was low self esteem and admiration that caused you to act as. If you did? Whithout concious knowledge of course. Too stupid.
Lara
Jan 26, 2016 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little book. A few typos.
Seema
Interesting..funny at times
kris
Aug 27, 2013 kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to enjoy a romance when you're afraid you're going to develop whiplash from the characters' emotional outbursts.

In addition, the gothic haunting plot line was, well, kind of ridiculous.
Verodarling Melani
Feb 04, 2012 Verodarling Melani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's not a perfect book, but the love story is so sweet and perfectly believable that I can't help but give it 5 stars. Plus, I absolutely adore the beginning.
Desiree
I thought this book would be really bad given the title. But suprisingly it was interesting, with a haunted house/hidden secrets as well.
Amanda Lyons
Fun but not as satisfying as The Devil Earl.
Zinnia
Nov 19, 2013 Zinnia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Rolig och bra.
Nikki
May 08, 2013 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
boring
Vaishnavi Chandrasekaran
Vaishnavi Chandrasekaran marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Mayleen Ya
Mayleen Ya rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Shoki
Shoki marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
  • Fallen Angel
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • He Said Now (Gentleman's Club, Book #3)
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • A Man And A Woman
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
  • My Only Love
  • Charming the Duke
  • Heaven Sent (Small Town Swains)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Anne's Perfect Husband (Sinclair Bride, #2)
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • Till Next We Meet
  • Charmed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #2)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)
  • The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1)
  • Ms. Match (Harlequin Blaze #424)
Deborah Simmons is the author of twenty-five historical romances and novellas, published by Avon, Berkley, and Harlequin.

A native midwesterner, Simmons graduated cum laude from Wittenberg University and was a journalist before turning to fiction. Her first book, Heart's Masquerade, was published by Avon in 1989 and was followed by a number of Harlequin Historicals, including a USA Today Bestsellin
More about Deborah Simmons...

Regency Quartet (4 books)
  • The Vicar's Daughter (Regency Quartet, #1)
  • The Devil Earl (Regency Quartet, #2)
  • Tempting Kate (Regency Quartet, #3)