Start by marking “The Real Girl Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Real Girl Next Door

The Real Girl Next Door

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  473 ratings  ·  59 reviews
IT’S COMPLICATED.

We’ve read the scandalous headlines, watched her sexy breakout performances in Starship Troopers and Wild Things, and seen her many public faces on her reality television show—the beautiful vixen, the devoted mother, the hard-working entertainer, and the fun-loving friend. But how well do we really know Denise Richards?

Published July 26th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Real Girl Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Girl Next Door

Sarah Q.
I have no idea why people would think this book would "spill all the juicy details about Charlie" because this book was about DENISE and her life and how she has dealt with and handled her dark times & rough patches as well as discussing the fact that she chooses to keep the specifics/details of those very personal things private - as she should in my opinion. She has to think about the info she gives out & the possibility it may (and likely would) get back to her children - who really d ...more
Meg ♥
This book felt like you were sitting down with a friend listening to her stories. She didn't drag anyone's name through the mud and I respect that. She told relevant things, but the juicy gossip about Charlie that some wanted was not present. Again, I think that's a good thing since he is the father of her daughters. At times she sounded a little preachy, but I don't honestly think she meant to. Her stories of her childhood and her mother were sweet and at times heartbreaking.
Renae Blanton
when I got this book I thought it'll be something to read when I'm bored and thinking I probably wouldn't finish it but as I read it I realized I like Denise Richards and she is alot like the girl next door except she gets to live an adult life few of us ever will. but the parts about her mother really touched me. loss has a way of joining us together.
Alex
Believe me, I am just as surprised as you that I not only read this, but am giving it 3 stars. I had grabbed it on impulse off the library shelf a few weeks ago, and yesterday I was sick and looking for a mindless read. This fit that bill perfectly!

I have never had an opinion on Denise Richards one way or the other, but I actually like her now after reading this. She seems real, and I appreciate that she didn't badmouth anyone. She could have easily filled pages and pages of dirt on Charlie Shee
Lisa
First let me say if you are reading this book because you want to hear the juicy dirt on Denise's relationship with her ex, Charlie Sheen (or any other Hollywood gossip for that matter) don't bother. The Real Girl Next Door is not that kind of memoir. Frankly, I find that very refreshing. It's nice to read a book about or by a celebrity that isn't filled with lots of stories about drunken, drug-filled nights or scandelous sex.
Denise's memoir is an easy read, filled with the basics you would exp
S.K. Thomas
This book starts a little slow and it's a wonder if she's going to divulge any true, hard-hitting reality. Let me tell you, she does. Her story is interesting, who knew the beautiful girl next door had so many trials and tribulations beyond obvious stuff the media is privy to. I did applaud her strength and courage while keeping her cool trying to be the best role model for her kids. I expected more dirt in certain parts of her life, such as the "winning" counterpart but most of it really never ...more
Capria Moon
It was kind of random that I read this book, but I'd heard some things about Denise Richards in the past that made me really respect her as a woman and a mother, so I picked it up at the library and ended up enjoying it a lot.

"The Real Girl Next Door" is a great title because she does completely come off like a normal, down to earth, nice girlfriend who's sitting down with you over coffee, filling you in about her life. She honors her parents so beautifully in this book. Sometimes the childhood
Teena in Toronto
I haven't seen a lot of what Denise Richards has been in ... I remember her mainly in The One with Ross and Monica's Cousin on "Friends". But I like reading bios and memoirs and this one caught my eye.

Though I didn't know a lot about her and wasn't a fan, I found it to be an good book. I liked the writing style and found it to be an easy fast read. As a head's up, there is swearing. I think she'd be fun to hang with.

She starts by telling about moving to California with her family when she was a
Melony Menocal
This book was very entertaining to me! I've never really been a huge fan of Denise, not because I didn't like her, but just because I didn't really follow her movies or know that much about her. It wasn't until I saw her show that really interested me to see what she was like and what her book revealed. With all the rumors and gossip that was going around, you would think she'd be this evil villain, but in reality she really is just a normal woman living in Hollywood! I really liked her book bec ...more
Victoria
Interesting read. Didn't know she grew up in Mokena first. Mainly read to find out the Charlie Sheen scoop and she just glossed over it. All in all quick and entertaining read.
Christine Grant
I thought that this would be a good beach read, and it was...sort of. My expectation of this book was that it would be a "tell all" which it was not. Instead, it was a "tell nothing". I get that Denise Richards wants to keep her private life private, but I do not understand how she got a book deal. The rest of her life is just not that interesting. The things that readers want to read about are missing. She says "I won't go into details" several times throughout. Oh, well. What did I expect? Mor ...more
Roadhouse
Dec 07, 2011 Roadhouse rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Roadhouse by: A piece of bad software at Amazon
Ugh. This book was recommended to me by Amazon.com because I enjoyed, I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

This book was painful and I am amazed that I read the entire thing Yes, I called it a thing. Calling it a book, no matter how bad, would justify its existence.

I did read it for two reasons. The author was featured in a great movie, Starship Troopers, and I was hoping she would have talked about it, and she did for about seven sentences.

Second, I was hoping to hear some good Charlie Sheen stories,
Shauna
I found this book at the Dollar Tree, which typically means it's not going to be very good...but sometimes you just need a quick fun read to get yourself through the long days next to the pool!

It wasn't bad at all. I was interested to read more about her life story, versus what I read in tabloids. I like reading most celebrity auto-biogs because I find it interesting to see things from their perspective. Richards was the same, it was a different side to what I read online/in magazines.

If you se
Julie
Just awful. It was readable but not worth reading. I wasn't expecting great literature but I do expect that if in the first chapter, the subject (I hesitate to say "author") goes on and on about what an "honest" person she is, that the same subject won't go on and on in the final chapters recounting lies upon lies that she told her children. There's a lot of sneaking around and lying throughout the book. And, if you are going to write a biography, you can't just ignore the major parts of your li ...more
Deb
Nov 24, 2012 Deb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Denise Richards Fans
Recommended to Deb by: Amazon
I loved this book, it was inspirational and nice to read about a celebrity that doesn't profit off of their ex's troubles and instead is taking the high road for her children. We have enough dirt and trashing in the world. Denise is from the Midwest, and you can tell those values have stuck with her. It's wonderful to see someone be so honest about their feelings during tragedy and hard times and come out still positive. I've been a sideline fan but this book made me a real Fan. I really underst ...more
Amber
I really liked her writing style...she didn't make you feel like I live this wonderful extravagant life. She made you feel like you were a friend sitting down for a conversation.
To be honest I didn't read the entire book....I just could not get in to it. After the first 50 pages or so I skipped ahead to the Charlie Sheen chapter and Richie Sambora chapter. But, in the end they were both boring too....anything that could have been interesting was left out under the caveat of 'for reasons I won't get into'. I understand the need to keep details to herself as she has 2 small daughters with Charlie, but it just didn't make for a good book. I didn't think it was very well wr ...more
I've always been a fan of Denise Richards and have come to really respect her in the past few years. She has always seemed like such a classy person and this book really proves it. If you are hoping to get the dirt on Charlie Sheen or her relationship with Richie Sambora, this isn't the book to read. Richards spoke from the heart about her early life, past relationships (which does include Charlie, but only her love for him), her relationship with her parents and how being a mom to her two (now ...more
Tara
I've always liked Denise and still do. Grabbed this book on a whim.
Megan Quinn
I am a huge fan of Denise Richards and was excited when she was writing a book. If you are hoping to read it to get the details on her marriage with Charlie Sheen, don't read it. She keeps most of the details of that part of her life private, as she said she did for her daughters. This book is about her life, not just Charlie. I really enjoyed seeing into her life and the good and bad time she endured. It gave me a different view on her and her life, and proved she is not just what you read onli ...more
Cate S.
I went into this book with low expectations. I mean, another celebrity tell-all, right? Except I came out of it liking Denise Richards a lot more than before. Yes, she didn't dish any real dirt, but you know what? I kind of respect her for that. All in all, she comes off better in the book(and Charlie does too) than I expected. Not for everyone, especially those expecting her to go after her ex. My opinion of her changed with this book, for the better. Not that my opinion counts, lol.
Sara
BORING! Denise Richards has lived a life full of drama and scandal. She has been married to and divorced from one of the most controversial men in Hollywood. She has the "dirt" to write an amazing life story and she absolutely did NOT do that in this book.

This book is basically a Wikipedia timeline that could be written by anyone that reads tabloids, but doesn't have any inside scoop.

I am 100% disappointed.
Huong
I'm always a sucker for celebrity "tell-alls" (except this isn't so lurid). Yes, Denise does talk about Charlie Sheen and Richie Sambora but it was done respectfully. I mostly enjoyed reading about her family upbringing and how it molded her life in Hollywood. Always liked Denise before, but definitely think she's not only sexy, but a super cool & great single mom.
Sue-Ellen
Wow what an honest book! I always had great respect for Denise but this just reinforced with me the kind of person she is. I cried when reading about her losing her mom, it touched me very personally and brought back the moment my mom passed. The fact that she didn't speak badly of Charlie shows that through it all she remains a loving mom and a very classy woman.
Denise Romero
This book wasn't really what I expected. She doesn't really go into much detail about her experience choosing to keep many things private. I respect her right to privacy but why write a book? My opinion is she wrote this book just to make money knowing people would read it wanting to read juicy details of her marriage and divorce that she doesn't provide.
Ronnie
I really didn't think there was a lot to Denise Richards and this book proved it. I know, I know, what was I expecting? Since she was married to Charlie Sheen and had a front row seat to his epic meltdown, I was hoping for some insight. Not for "I'm too much of a lady to tell what happened." Then don't write a book.
Tara
It was very sad for me to read about what she went thru with her mom.. I knew a little of the details from watching her show but didnt know all of them.. It seems like she is a the real girl next door and has a good head on her shoulders.. How she got mixed in with Charlie, Ill never understand it!!
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. Denise has a good attitude, and I appreciate how she handled discussing Charlie - it would be easy to trash him, but as a mother, she understands that she has to keep things civil for the sake of her children.
John Snyder
Denise Richards is really a nice girl, probably had lots to tell but chose not to. I respect her for that, but doesn't make for a great book. She touched me on the part about her mom though. Still wish her luck in the future.
  • Bunny Tales
  • Never Say Never: Finding A Life That Fits
  • The Lo-Down
  • unSweetined
  • No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel
  • The Day I Shot Cupid: Hello, My Name Is Jennifer Love Hewitt and I'm a Love-aholic
  • I Do, Now What?: Secrets, Stories, and Advice from a Madly-in-Love Couple
  • Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream
  • Jen-X: Jenny McCarthy's Open Book
  • Stories from Candyland: Confections from One of Hollywood's Most Famous Wives and Mothers
  • Little Girl Lost
  • Influence
Denise Lee Richards is an American actress and former fashion model. She has appeared in films including Starship Troopers, Wild Things, and The World Is Not Enough. She appeared on the reality TV show, Denise Richards: It's Complicated, which was carried by American cable channel E!.
More about Denise Richards...
Blackjack for Women Starship Troopers