Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again

Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 30 million times. After realizing her fans were asking the same questions over and over, Mignon decided to focus her attention on those words that continuously confound the masses. In Grammar Girl's 101 Misu ...more
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again

Naomi Young
Disclaimer first: I was moved to pre-order the book because Mignon was offering an incentive -- a personalized video -- for those who did so. I received that gift, but I paid the regular Amazon price for the book, and I made no agreement to review the book. It's a good thing I didn't because I've taken so long to finish that a review is now probably so late it's not very useful. But go out and get this book, for yourself or for that friend whose not-quite-right word choices are driving you aroun ...more
Inspired Kathy
This book made me realize there is a lot I think I know but actually do not know. I regularly misuse many of the words featured in this book. Reign verses rein, explicit verses implicit, farther verses further, infer verses imply, fewer verses less - Each set of words in this book is explained and has an example on how to properly use the word. Many have a quote from a popular TV show, movie, book or famous person such as Clark Gable in Gone with the Wind saying:
No, I don't think I will kiss you
Kathryn
I just discovered Mignon Fogarty aka Grammar Girl and her little books should be a staple in everyone's home. All of those words that we never remember which one is correct, this little book takes out the mystery. Grey or gray? Either one is correct - who knew?
Yara
I learned that segue "a smooth transition" is not spelled segway unless it is the two-wheeled, self-balancing electric vehicle. And it is disappointing to learn that "snuck" will eventually be acceptable by all. Really? Sorry, Mr. Hess (my beloved 7th grade English teacher and grammar stickler extraordinaire).
Tiara
This book taught me the difference between lot of words that I used to get confuse. Now I know the meaning of the words and I can tell the difference between then. This book is good for anyone who need help with words that sounds the same or have the same meaning. It will teach you which words for that sentence. For example, a set of common words that people always get confuse are their, there, they and they'are.The book will help you with using the correct word for the right context of the sen ...more
Angela Meyer
I can not tell you all the ways I love this book! I use it daily in my classroom!
Kim Johnston
I am a big grammar girl fan. This book is lighthearted and not dull.
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This review first appeared on my blog:

ANOTHER wonderful and handy tip book! I run into these mistakes (and likely commit them myself sometimes) quite often. For some of us, seeing these types of mistake in print (whether on a blog, in a book, or in correspondence) makes our eyes glaze over and takes away from the story or the message that is being imparted.

Look at the example below and you'll see why this book belongs on your shelf!

EXAMPLE:

Especially vs. S
Makarand Hazarika
English is my third language and I thought this book, or any book on English and grammar, would help me a lot. I was really excited to have placed the order on Flipkart and eagerly awaited its delivery. I wish I had gone to a bookstore and seen the contents before I bought it. I was shocked to see more than 80% of the words in the book aren't confusing at all. I was thinking to myself "why would anyone misuse those words?!"

Then I came to the sudden realization that native (American?) English spe
Kay
My Mini Review: I'm glad I picked up Fogarty's 101 Misused Words. Although I already knew a good chunk of the words in this book, there were still some that surprised me. When I didn't realize I was using a word wrong I felt pretty dumb, until I realized that I'm obviously not the only one misusing the word if it is in this book. Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words would be a great easy-to-read reference book for any type of writer, and it would definitely be a great book to give as a gift to those ...more
J.C.
There is a good chance in the future I will get some of these confused again, but i've learned quite a few facts about words and their usage that the outcome of reading this book is right around what I was hoping to get out of it. A more precise, accurate use of language is one result that will come from my reading of this book. It's not perfect, and about a quarter of the examples (possibly a little more) I found to be very obvious, but I am an English major and not everyone is, therefore I did ...more
Mark
This book, like all of Grammar Girl's prior books (and podcasts), is well written with easy-to-understand examples. Like most people, there are words and word pairs that confuse and befuddle me. Grammar Girl clears up a lot of the uncertainty around these words, and provides background information on word orgins in an interesting and fun manner. I now know that when I shuffle cards, I'm actually riffling, and after reading this book, I finally understand why my wife was mad at me when I brought ...more
Amanda
Greatest little find EVER in the library. I loved this little book and may consider buying a copy for my shelf for possible browsing again in the future. Great little tips inside for how to keep words proper use straight in your mind. I was happy to find that I knew the correct usage and definition of some of the words and was pleasantly surprised to gain quite a bit more knowledge. I fully admit that I struggle with grammar and am endlessly being corrected, but that is fine with me. I'm more th ...more
Trudy Ruby
I thought this was an informative book that would be a great help to writers when they are faced with choosing the correct word for the meaning they're intending and there are different words to choose from that may be confusing to choose from. That sounds crazy, but I hope you can understand what I mean. The words she chose to discuss and explain are listed alphabetically which makes it easy to look up the word you may need to check out to make sure you're using it correctly. She shares this in ...more
K
This is a really good book on grammar. It's full of information and is easy to understand. Therefore, everyone should read this. It even taught me a few things, and I'd considered myself to be well-versed in regards to grammar. Grammar snobs will occasionally be shocked as they thumb through this book. I didn't know that people had such a hard time with such no-brainers as "guerrilla" vs "gorilla" and *gasp* "peak" vs "peek" vs "pique"! I'm embarrassed for anyone who learned something new whilst ...more
Wida
I am not fond of people who correct others' grammars as if they are the best language users in the whole world. Reading this book allows me to stop being corrected all the time. I may even correct others.

This is the best grammar book for English students because our own grammar books suck. The quick and dirty tips really help in remembering words. I really love how in the first page of the book there is this: For the confused.
Beverly Diehl
So many, many people need this book. Flesh out vs. flush out. Because of vs. due to. Reign vs. rein (I see that misused all the time).

I admit, this book has been living in my bathroom for a long time, so I can flesh out my vocabulary while flushing... Anyway, great word choices, great examples that help me to remember... Every writer and blogger and Tweeter should buy this book.
Arielle

I finally purchased this book after hearing about it on the grammar girl podcast on stitcher radio. For the most part I thought it was entertaining and concise. The examples are well thought out with quotes from well-known poets, authors, and TV show characters; and also with examples on past usage and how they are used presently. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Ariel
I am familiar with many of the word couples that the author reviews but about 1 out of 5 are ones I have always wondered about (like when to use "I" versus "my." It's also "deep-seated" not "deep-seeded." Who would have thought?) I also enjoyed her succinct tirade on why "irregardless" is a travesty.
Andrew
This book is proof that learning about proper word usage and grammar doesn't have to be boring or dull. Mrs. Fogarty accurately and concisely defines each word in a commonly misused pair, explains when to use each one, and often provides additional mnemonics for keeping the choice straight.
Warwriter
There were a few other words I would have added, but these seem common. How can you confuse Heroine and Heroin? Reign and rein I always have trouble with, and the rule presented there helps me to remember which to use (usually rein). Still have trouble with the affect/effect thing.
Tim
Much better than the "High School" 101 words book. I did like reading some of the history of the words and I even learned a few things over and above those tidbits. This is one book I think most people should read to improve their grammar.
Cindy
A fun little reminder book. Most enjoyable were the 'quotes' used from modern day television to old quotes that exemplify the grammatical points. And the Quick and Dirty Tips...to help you remember when to use which word.
Katie
Jul 14, 2013 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This was a fun book. Helps to clear up whatever word confusion you have. Not only does it tell you the meaning of the word and how to use it, it also gives you some interesting history on the word and itd it's origin.
aubrey
I loved this. While most words I knew the difference between, there were some she addressed that I wasn't aware of and appreciated learning the correct usage for. Handy little guide to the English language.
Tracy
On one hand, I was terribly impressed with myself for using so many of these correctly. I was quickly put in my place when I realized how many I didn't think I'd ever remember again.
Kristen
The title says it all. If you need some help remembering how to use these words it is useful. I did learn some, but my big problem usually is spelling. So I wasn't totally interested.
Russ Skinner
Entertaining and only a few quibbles. (I'm also enjoying her Podcast.)
Susan
I knew most of the comparisons, but there were a few that were nice to have clarified. I made a list to keep with me at grad school.
Robert
It was good, don't be fooled by the 2 star rating, it was okay. Useful and a nice reference. Just not anything that blew me away.
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--and How to Avoid Them
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists
  • The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier: How to Solve the Mysteries of Weak Writing
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Wordcatcher: An Odyssey into the World of Weird and Wonderful Words
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If Y ou're Right
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Robert's Rules of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • The Literary Ladies' Guide to the Writing Life
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • Crazy English
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • English as a Second Fucking Language: How to Swear Effectively, Explained in Detail With Numerous Examples Taken from Everyday Life
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students Grammar Girl's 911 Punctuation: Your Guide to Writing it Right Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time