Start by marking “Don't Look Behind You: Ann Rule's Crime Files #15” as Want to Read:
Don't Look Behind You: Ann Rule's Crime Files #15

Don't Look Behind You: Ann Rule's Crime Files #15 (Crime Files #15)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,049 ratings  ·  100 reviews
I’LL BE WATCHING YOU

Walking home on a dark night, you hear footsteps coming up behind you. As they get closer, your heart pounds harder. Who is closing in with dangerous intent—a total stranger? Or someone you know and trust? The answer is as simple as turning around, but don’t look behind you . . . run. Ann Rule, who shared her own nerve-jan
Published November 29th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look Behind You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look Behind You

Carrie
Jan 20, 2012 Carrie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ann Rule/true crime fans
I remember a time when I would tear through an Ann Rule like nobody's business. I don't know what has happened to her writing. This book felt like a chore to me and I was glad to see it end. Also, I don't care for her needlessly inserting herself into a story. In one of the stories, she mentions REPEATEDLY that her children attended school with the missing woman's children. This is NOT relevant, IMO, especially since she didn't know the missing woman, the children weren't friends, and she didn't ...more
Beth Gordon
I've read Ann Rule for decades. She has a great way of making even complicated true crime cases sound captivating. She connects with the victims and makes them very likeable.

For the past few true crime files, her passion for true crime seems to have diminished. It's almost like the author is going through the motions to fulfill a contract. She doesn't connect with the victims as well. There's not much background. The cases seem stale. Perhaps it's not Ms. Rule. Perhaps my reading interests have
Lara
Ehh, you know. Just alright. Just alright.

I've read all Ann Rule's books, every one of them. Every Christmas a new one comes out and it's either in my stocking or I buy it at the airport for some fairly easy (although often disturbing) plane reading. The last few I've read just haven't held my interest - I'm not sure if the stories are less interesting, if her writing has changed (I don't think that's it), or if I'm just not that interested anymore, but, yeah. Just ok.

Now that I've finished it a
Ann Rule's true crime books were first recommended to me by a friend who was serving as an assistant warden at Folsom State Prison in California. Tom told me that he felt Rule's books did an excellent job of portraying the criminal mindset. I came to like them because of the compassion she shows toward the victims of crimes--both those who are killed, and those who must find a way to survive their loss.

That being said, I struggled with this, the fifteenth volume of her Crime Files series. In lar
Patsy
I love Ann Rule's books and have read all of them. She is an engaging true crime writer. My daughter thinks I have a dark side because true crime is my guilty pleasure! I haven't added all the true crime books I've read because there are simply too many and I've resold most of them over the years. Ann Rule is the best writer of all of them. She delves deep into the background of both the victims and perpetrators. This is what I find particularly interesting.
Valerie Sikes
I believe that Ann Rule's book should be required reading for any young woman. Many of the women in Ann's book are young, inexperienced, and naive especially about men. If just one person is helped by reading these books it would be worth it because a person cannot be too careful about who they start a relationship with.
Jenn
I like her books but it just reminds me of all the crazy people out there and to keep an eye out for any suspicious characters when out in the public.
Eva Leger
I read this about a month ago and it was my first Ann Rule in quite some time. It did make me remember why she's always been my favorite t.c. author. I have a few on my shelves that I've missed and I need to get those finished this year hopefully.
I should have reviewed this right away when I finished but that just wasn't possible this time and now I forget what exactly I wanted to say. I know I wanted to mention a few things because I checked a few of the pages. I'll have to let it go\ though.
I
Rebecca Huston
Four creepy tales of abuse and murder. One story just creeped me out, one was too short to leave any real impression. The last one bothered me a lot and stirred up some unpleasant memories. Overall, not quite as good as other books in the series, but still better than most true crime books. Three and a half stars rounded up to four.

For the longer review, please go here:
Jennifer Bloom
I am not sure what is going on with Ann Rule lately. I have the found the last couple of books really lacking on something...perhaps she is losing her passion for the genre?? Or maybe when you write about demons for so long it becomes difficult to continue to write about them well. I will continue to stay a loyal fan, as I believe Ann Rule to be one of the best True Crime writers around...but I hope she comes out of the slump soon!
Erica Powers
As someone who read most of Ann Rule's early books, I'm just not as impressed with her new offerings. These books that contain multiple stories about cold cases from long ago just don't seem as exciting as her full-length exposes on more topical murders. This book did hold my interest and kept me from getting bored during a recent plane flight, but it's nothing I'll go back and re-read, as I did with Rule's other books. Just so-so.
Sandy
Another 2.5. I read it because my next door neighbor from Washington knew the women Renee who killed and helped her brother cut up her boyfriend. The man was missing for thirty years before the murder was solved. My neighbor knew her when she had moved onto a rich man who owned a bail bond business. It just goes to prove you never know.
Indra
The True Crime Files are like fast-food reading at times...they are always interesting and disturbing, but I don't know if this one will endure as much as some of the other volumes have in my mind. I couldn't say why exactly. It is difficult to read about rape cases, but it does teach readers to be alert and lock their doors!
Lynn
Always Count on Ann

As usual, Ann Rule does not disappoint in this collection of stories about crimes committed in the Northwest of Washington, primarily in and around Seattle. From the sad life and disappearance of a young mother more than fifty years ago to victims of a serial rapist who thought he looked like a movie star and a family that got away with murder, she provides us with examples of the existence of evil even disguised by a pretty face. Ann Rule makes our hearts beat faster as we fi
Darlene
Another great Ann Rule book! She writes about several true crime murder mysteries, but the most in depth cases both took years to come to light that 1) a murder DID occur and 2) Who DONE it? When so much time goes by, the murderers think they got away with it, just to finally be hit with the facts that they didn't. Thanks to the tenaciousness of a family member(s), detectives, etc. the truth comes out after hours and hours of tips, clues, and lots of footwork. Only Ann Rule can bring all of this ...more
Mirjam Penning
This book has four true crime cases.
The first is called: North to Alaska.
It tells the story about a man named Joe Tarricone. He's basically had a good life, but after thirty years of marriage he divorces his highschool sweetheart. Then he happens to fall in love with a much younger woman. It will be his downfall. It takes quite some time before he is missed and years longer before the case comes to some sort of closure as in case solved. Besides Joe, there's another victim in this story. A woman
DiligentReader
A part of me wishes that serial killers were more frequent than within-the-family homicides, because Ann Rule's novels on Gary Ridgway and Ted Bundy are her two best.

However, this is the dilemma in reading true crime. Is it really ever okay to ENJOY what you are reading? I gave the Bundy book 5 stars, but I'm sure that many might disagree.

I've read several of Ann's Crime Files books, and as soon as I read them I generally forget pretty quickly what the stories were even about. I think that happ
Chris Demer
Pretty typical Anne Rule. Engaging, tragic. Makes you wonder how some people can be so dumb/unaware of others' craziness and motives and the risks they are taking in relationships with them.
Story one: Stand-up Brooklyn guy marries his sweetheart and has seven children, while he drags her and the fam back and forth across the country in pursuit of various jobs, all of which get stale after a year or two. Finally he leaves (apparently with her blessing) as she refuses to move the tribe one more t
Judy A
The book title sends a strong message. Don't look behind you, look to your side and be aware of what you are doing. Sadly, that is the world we live in. Ann Rule writes about in four account in this book. The first stuck with me because I am familiar with the Tacoma, Washington area. Actually in the area at the time that I read her book. The Case of the Deadly Giant, which is one of the shorter stories was more interesting to me. It was very unusual and I think the murderer's height had a lot to ...more
Janis Gilbert
typical non-fiction murder mystery, but I like it.

Walking home on a dark night, you hear footsteps coming up behind you. As they get closer, your heart pounds harder. Who is closing in with dangerous intent -- a total stranger? Or someone you know and trust? The answer is as simple as turning around, but don't look behind you...run. Ann Rule, who shared her own nerve-jangling account of unknowingly befriending sadistic sociopath Ted Bundy in The Stranger Beside Me, chronicles other fateful encou
♥ Marlene♥
This book helped me remember why I am not a fan of her True crime cases.
The problem is that she writes these books a lot and that her stand alone books come out once every 4 years! or so. I prefer the latter.

Sorry to Ann Rule fans but I feel she is writing more to earn money now than that her heart is in it.

Even her first couple of true crime cases books, were so much better.

The last book she wrote and I loved was Too Late to Say Goodbye. A great read, but then I am talking about a book that was
Ben Dummitt
I read this in a couple of days over vacation so obviously it's a page turner. If you like true crime stuff you'll probably like it ok but I don't think it will blow anyone away. Ultimately the stories just aren't terribly memorable. If you're new to the genre or generally unaware of the terrible stuff that goes on in the world, you might be a bit more intrigued. Otherwise, if you can pick it up on the cheap it's worth a read. I'd give it two and a half stars if goodreads would let me.
Karen
ABSOLUTELY LOVE ANN RULE BOOKS!!!! She is definitely, hands down the BEST CHOICE EVER to read when it comes to True Crime novels....who else would KNOW BEST first hand but an officer of the law how CRAZY people can be!!!! She has got to have a spine of steel to have dealt with all the crazies & then turn around and go back to write about them!!! I'm sure it will be another knockout group of stories from her!!!!
Ok...so this time I obviously got the "lemon" of one of her books...which for me i
Bea
The first two stories were written about crimes in the 60s and 70s. There was such a difference then from now in the handling of abuse cases, both wives and kids. I like reading these stories now and then for a change of pace. The first two did get a little tedious toward the end. The last two stories were about rapes that happened in the Seattle area. Ann Rule's stories are always interesting, but I do find myself a little jumpy after finishing them.
Gina
Not Ann Rule's best. One of the cases was so open and shut I'm not sure why she felt it was necessary to include it. She gave it a build-up like it required extensive and meticulous police work, and it turned out the murderer showed up in front of a couple of witnesses completely covered in blood with some of the victim's hair in his boots. Ann Rule is truly the master of the true crime genre, but this one was quite flat and uninspired.
Donna
Don't Look Behind You is the 15th in Ann Rule's "Crime Files" series, most of which deal with several crimes from years past. In general, these stories sometimes lack the immediacy of her one-story books about current cases, which often bring victims back to life, in a sense, and restore them to the complex web of relationships they left behind in the world. It's understandably harder to create a complete, well-rounded picture of people and events from decades past.

In this case, I did not find m
Sam
Ann Rule's newer books are not up to the standards she set early in her writing career. She has countless stories to chose from, yet she seems to be selecting ones that lack the surprise and spine-chilling scenes of her earlier works. This book was ok. Out of 4 stories, 1 held my interest. She choses to limit herself to the Pacific Northwest and that has hurt her, in terms of material. I will keep reading her books in hopes of finding another, Stranger Beside Me or Small Sacrifices.
Mindy Houston
One of Ann Rule's weaker works - the stories weren't as compelling as some of her past works and most of the focus seemed to be on the judicial process, whereas I recall her former books being more about the lives of the criminals and their victims. I won't stop reading Ann Rule's books, though. She's still a very strong author. :)
Neil Mudde
Ann Rule has to be one of my favorite factial mystery writers, she goes way back, in fact she worked with Bundy on the West Coast, when the manned the phones in the emergency callers office,
Ann writes from a solid bacground of being in the Police force, being totally aware of the behind the scenes scenario in those places, has a respect for most detectives who are hard working persons, determined to find killers of innocent victims, Ann is determined to get rid of all those persons, and mostly g
Evan
Ann Rule true crime books are always worth reading because they remind us of the sickness in some people. We must temper our trust with caution. This book was okay but not up the level of If You Really Loved Me and Everything She Ever Wanted which I could not put down and which made my skin crawl.
  • Death Trap
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • After Etan: The Missing Child Case that Held America Captive
  • While They Slept: An Inquiry Into the Murder of a Family
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Predator
  • Never Enough
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • Shattered
  • The Black Dahlia Files: The Mob, the Mogul, and the Murder That Transfixed Los Angeles
  • Pure Murder
Ann Rule is a popular American true crime writer. She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders.
At the time she started researching the book, the murders were still unsolved. In the course of time, it became clear that the killer was Bundy, her friend and her colleague as a trained volunteer on the suicide hotline at the Seattle, Washington Crisis
More about Ann Rule...

Crime Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #1)
  • You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Crime Files, # 2)
  • A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #3)
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • A Rage to Kill and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #6)
  • Empty Promises and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #7)
  • Last Dance, Last Chance and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #8)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9)
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)
The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer--America's Deadliest Serial Murderer If You Really Loved Me And Never Let Her Go: Thomas Capano: The Deadly Seducer