Mo Wren, Lost and Found

Mo Wren, Lost and Found

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  38 reviews
This is the story of what happened after Fox Street.

Mo Wren knew that eventually she, her dad, and her sister, Wild Child Dottie, would have to move from beloved Fox Street. She just never expected it to happen so soon.

Published August 23rd 2011 by Balzer + Bray

Mara
Wonderful sequel to WHAT HAPPENED ON FOX STREET (although the book stands alone just fine). Mo and Dottie are delightful characters and Springstubb's writing is strong, descriptive and enjoyable. In particular, I loved her use of different analogies:

"Mo's heart crouched inside her, like someone at a surprise party waiting to jump out and yell." (p.134)

"Being in motion, being a traveler, you weren't here and you weren't there. Life stayed at a distance." (p, 158)

"Far overhead, a plane buzzed like...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It seems like it is so hard to find children’s books about happy families these days. First the junior high books and now the elementary school books have taken on the task of presenting Families with Big Problems. Parents Getting Divorced. Abusive Parents. Alcoholic Parents. Even Homeless Families.

Mo Wren is an exception. Yes, Mo’s mom has died, but that’s not the focus of this book. The plot centers on how difficult it is to move and make new friends when you are a child. A very common and di...more
Diane
Mo Wren is leaving Fox Street, the neighborhood where she grew up and was almost always happy. After her mother's death, her Dad has a need to try something new. So he buys an old restaurant in need of renovation and begins to pursue the dream of owning a sports bar/restaurant. Though little sister, Dottie, doesn't seem phased by the change, Mo is having a hard time adjusting to this new life and she longs for what was left behind on Fox Street. Slowly, however, she opens herself up to this new...more
Lyn
This is the second book in the Wren family series. Moving away from Fox Street is devastating for eleven-year-old Mo Wren, but her dad finally has his dream. He's opening a family bar and grill. There's a small apartment over the bar, so the Wrens move in and take on the huge task of readying the bar for its grand opening.

The building requires more maintenance than expected and Mo's dad isn't as handy as he needs to be. They keep running out of band aids, trying to treat his nicks, bruises and s...more
Jackie Miller
This was such a sweet and touching story. It's the sequel to What Happened On Fox Street, but it can easily be read as a stand alone. I guarantee after you read Mo Wren, Lost and Found that you will really want to pick up the first one!

We find Mo Wren about to leave her home on Fox Street. Her house and the surrounding neighbors have been the anchor for everything in her life, and now she has to figure out what to do with herself in a different place. She is bombarded with uncertainties and does...more
Linda
Mo Wren has lived her whole life on Fox Street but things have changed. Her mother died and her father is left raising Mo and her sister, Dottie, all on his own. He decides to follow his dream and start his own restaurant in the city... away from Fox Street. Mo must learn to adjust to the new lifestyle as her father learns to trust the young woman she is becoming in this heartfelt coming of age story.

I, instantly, fell in love with the characters in this story. Mo tries to be mature while dealin...more
Sue Morris
At the Wrens’ new place, things are very different. The name of the street—East 213th—has absolutely zero magic. And there’s no Mrs. Petrone to cut her hair, no Pi Baggott to teach her how to skateboard, no Green Kingdom to explore. She’s having trouble fitting in at her new school and spending a lot of time using the corner bus shelter for her Thinking Spot. Worst of all, Mo discovers that the ramshackle restaurant Mr. Wren bought is cursed. Only Dottie, with her new friends and pet lizard, Han...more
Leslie
Feeling displaced? Tricia Springstubb has the story for you in this sequel to the sweet debut What Happened on Fox Street. Mo has to move, and like many a moving story, the adjustments are hard. And she isn’t the only one who was going to miss Fox Street. (sigh). Fortunately, Springstubb creates the old kind of charm in a new kind of place. Maybe change can be for the better.

With a protagonist who thinks, and who worries, the moving is going to be especially dramatic, thus she will be a great na...more
Vikki VanSickle
Mo Wren, Lost and Found, is a highly satisfying sequel to Fox Street. It is simultaneously quieter and crunchier than Fox Street, which is perfectly in keeping with Mo’s age and development.

The Wrens have sold their house on Fox Street and moved to East 213th, a street with no name, only a number. Although Mr. Wren is putting everything he has into opening a sports bar and family restaurant called The Wren House, Mo is worried. It takes more than hard work and faith to get a business off the gro...more
Krystal
This sequel to What Happened on Fox Street follows Mo and her family as they move to an apartment over the previously “cursed” restaurant (The Wren House) that her widowed father hopes to open. Mo, who avoids change, is miserable in the new neighborhood. Her whole life had been spent on Fox Street where she knew and liked everyone. Warm memories of her mom, her best friend, her “crush”, her neighborly grandma, and the “Green Kingdom” at the end of the cul-de-sac make her dread her new home. Mo h...more
Abbie Riddle
his is a modern Ramona story - it is absolutely enjoyable on all levels. A great chapter book for early to mid-elementary age students to read. This is a classic in the making.

The antics and adventures of Mo Wren will keep any child's attention just as Beverly Cleary did with her books. This little girl is always up to something or into something making each page an exciting page to read.

I especially liked the fact that this book deals with a child's hopes and fears. Children who read this will...more
Sandra Stiles
This was the second o Wren book The first on was called “What Happened on Fox Street”. I loved the character of Mo. With her mother dead, she has taken on a more adult role in the family. She has always loved living on Fox Street so when her father moves them and decides to open a restaurant she is less than thrilled. She finds friends in the most unlikely place, the Laundromat. She realizes how good her friends are as they help with her father’s endeavor. Dottie almost seemed too good to be tru...more
Elizabeth K.
This was cute, it's a really charming family story and it's pleasant and entertaining. Mo and her family move to a new neighborhood where her father is attempting to open a sports bar*, where she has the expected ups and downs of going to a new school, meeting new people, etc etc. I liked that it's a pretty classic plot - it's wholesome enough to be found in a 1950s book - but it reads very current.

I would probably give it four stars for the its enjoyability, but overall only three because despi...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Like the first book, this is a very introspective title, where much of the action of the plot takes place inside Mo’s mind, as she deals with her feelings on various topics. Her new neighborhood is filled with interesting people, each of whom, over time, becomes important to Mo, even in spite of her objections to the move. I don’t know if the book really covered anything new as compared with the first book, but I did enjoy finding out what happened to the Wrens and seeing how things ultimately t...more
Chelsea
Mo Wren never thought she would live anywhere other than the house on Fox Street, but now her father has dreams of opening a restaurant so they are moving across town to a new neighborhood and a new school. The cast of characters is quirky and memorable, and Mo's struggles to find a place for herself in her new environment is emotionally authentic. The reality of a single parent family struggling to make ends meet is also well-handled. A solid middle-grade realistic read.
Angela Juline
I just really liked this book...probably should have started with the first book in the series to better understand the beginning. But, I just loved the characters and the feeling of the book.
Darlene Dickson
Sometimes a return to children's books helps me to look at life more simply again. I would read the prequel "What Happened on Fox Street" first if I had it to do over. I will read that one next. This book is the sequel. Reminiscent of Beverly Cleary books, this one is full of people with real problems, real emotions and even more real solutions. You come away with a heart full of hope! You really need a kids book today! :)
Heather
This is a sequel, but could also be read on its own. My absolute favorite character is Dottie - love her! - but all of the characters in this book are so well done. It is fun to watch Mo and Dottie get to know their neighbors and classmates and to see how so many people end up working together to make things a success. It's definitely a feel-good story, but it takes a realistically rocky path to get to that point.
katsok
I adored What Happend on Fox Street so was eager to read this sequel. Mo is just as appealing as ever. I felt homesick with her as she left Fox Street and wished that Springstubb would find a way for her to return. But as Mo grew accustomed to her new neighborhood you could see where she might fit. I have 11 new students in my three reading classes this year. Can't wait to share this with them.
Constance
The house has sold and Mo's father has moved the family from Mo's beloved Fox Street across the river to a new neighborhood where he will open a bar/restaurant. Mo's adjustment is bumpy and realistic. Characters are quirky and endearing. I thought I'd never want to leave Fox Street either, but the new neighborhood has some appeal. Springstubb's writing is at its best.
Anna
4.5…
I loved all of the characters in the story!!
Tracie
Mo Wren's life is changing and she wants her old one back. Having left her beloved neighbors and neighborhood on Fox St. she tries to figure out a way to make her new surroundings a home she can live with. In a very different way, I love this series as much as The Penderwicks. I hope more adventures are coming for Mo and her family.
Kelly
I really liked these books and read them in one day. My daughter picked them up at the library and tried to read the first one, but didn't really get it, she's nine. I teach 6-8th grade English and can see this book being more for 5th-6th graders than third. Mo' s thinking just seemed a little older than her age.
Stacy Ford
This book is the second in a series. However, it does stand alone because the Wren's leave their neighborhood and start a new life across town where their dad is starting a new restaurant.

BOTTOM LINE: May be good addition for readers across the age range.
Clover White
Complex, believable characters make this sequel to What Happened on Fox Street well worth reading.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This is one of those rare instances when book 2 is even better than book 1. Great for kids moving to a new house, changing schools, or going through change in general.
Janet Young
Sequel to What Happened on Fox Street.

Sweet story
Moving, Transitions
Death of Parent
Community
Family
Small Family Business

Good mother-daughter read aloud
Jen
A slight disappointment after the first book. The potential is there, it just wasn't as deep. Still a sweet story...
Ji Yeon  Yun
I think this book is interesting. A girl named Mo Wren's life is little bit complicated I think. It is good to read
Jan
Love this character. second book Mo adjusts to her new home and Dad finally opens his restaurant.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sister James Bernard, my first grade teacher, taught me how to read. Our class had 60 children (yes) and we went up and down the long rows, taking turns reading aloud. There was absolutely no reading ahead, which was torture. I was always dying to know What happened next? (though with Dick and Jane, the answer was usually, Not much.) As I grew up, I began to wonder not only what happened, but why,...more
More about Tricia Springstubb...
What Happened on Fox Street Phoebe and Digger Eunice Gottlieb and the unwhitewashed truth about life Which Way to the Nearest Wilderness? Eunice (The Egg Salad) Gottlieb