Start by marking “Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening” as Want to Read:
Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening

Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  12 reviews

THE NEW SPIRITUALITY IS ALL ABOUT EVOLUTION

In Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening, Cohen redefines spirituality for our contemporary world* a world characterized by exponential change and an ever-expanding appreciation for the processes of evolution. Based on 25 years of groundbreaking work as a spiritual teacher and the editor-in-chief of the

Published September 26th 2011 by Select Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Evolutionary Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolutionary Enlightenment

Douglas Turner
Wow. What an amazing read. Andrew Cohen's new book is a reflection of 25 + years of his teachings. In a burst of singularity his teachings have evolved, and has always been his highest intention, just as consciousness has evolved. This book IS a path to spiritual awakening. Stop a minute and breathe that in. His teachings land with a thud, because they are "here and now." Put in a contemporary context, Cohen's teachings, spring from Traditional Enlightenment. If the Buddha were alive today, I'm ...more
John
Sep 10, 2011 John added it
After just coming out of Cohen's Being and Becoming retreats last month, I think that this book is an overview of his whole current teaching. It's the most challenging call to personal responsibility I've ever seen.

Some favorite excerpts:
pg 167
Ego is full of narcissistic self-importance, but it never wants to take on the burden of this kind of awe-inspiring responsibility for evolution, because in so doing it loses its freedom to act in its own self-interest. Awakening to Cosmic Conscience impli
Eugene Pustoshkin
It’s difficult for me to reflect upon this book in a comprehensive way. I recognize that most of the ideas and understandings (and even transmissions) are adopted from the theory of Integral nondual spirituality proposed by Ken Wilber. At the same time, to me personally the vision and the territory that Wilber describes is far more nuanced and powerful. Yet this book is a good achievement because it tries to chart the same advanced territory, and most people who are new to the field would benefi ...more
Martin
A lot of spiritual hand-waving that, if actually true, I would only believe after I experience it for myself.
Willa
This book is going to be a classic, as it is the first and only work on the new spirituality of the 21st Century, by the spiritual teacher who has most to say about it.
Andrew Cohen manages to not only explain evolutionary spirituality with amazing freshness, logic, and clarity; he also includes the traditional nondual enlightenment in a way that honors and builds on the great masters of all times. Whether you want to open up to traditional enlightenment, or the new evolutionary enlightenment; th
Durwin
Cohen is a controversial spiritual teacher because he tended to be autocratic in his leadership style which didn't really fit the Western democratic context, and nor should we accept such a style from spiritual teachers any longer. However, he did take risks and pioneer new understandings, spiritual states and an approach to inter-subjective communications that many people benefited from.
Danielle Baudouin
Andrew Cohen introduces us to a new mysticism that is poignantly relevant to our time. He does not let you off the hook, but opens up a perspective that recontextualize life at this moment in history when science has demystified myth; yet, at the same time Cohen transmits a powerful experience of the non-dual nature of existance, bridging the gap between science and traditional spirituality. The depth of his mysticism and the breath of his evolutionary philosophy take you on a journey far from t ...more
Jacob Nordby
this is a brilliant book. Liberating, future oriented, refreshing... Anyone who has wondered about enlightenment--and perhaps wandered down one of the myriad paths offered by traditional religions--will be relieved and invigorated by this book.

Viva la Evolution!
L. Thrussell
So far what I've read I am really enjoying it. Causing me to stop and think.

I love books that don't insult my intelligence or slander my beliefs / thoughts, but open me up to the possibilities of another way of thinking...
Vaudeth
This is another book I will keep as I travel on my spiritual path.
Johann
Organic growth is weird and amazing and cool.
Egor Azanov
YES! THIS IS OUR MANIFESTO!
Ashley Aviles
Ashley Aviles is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Mike Lee
Mike Lee marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Mr. Bartlett
Mr. Bartlett marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
J. Schmidt
J. Schmidt marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sadiq
Sadiq added it
Mar 13, 2015
Allison
Allison is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2015
Sandy  Kemp
Sandy Kemp marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Chas Ely
Chas Ely marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Andreas Geitz
Andreas Geitz marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Belinda Bras-nel
Belinda Bras-nel is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Ducsec
Ducsec marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Creative Mind and Success
  • Evolutionaries: Unlocking the Spiritual and Cultural Potential of Science's Greatest Idea
  • Integral Spirituality
  • God: A Story of Revelation
  • Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child
  • Dudes, the School Is Haunted! (Rotten School, #7)
  • Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind
  • Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation
  • Mind Reader: Unlocking the Secrets and Powers of a Mentalist
  • The Evolving Self: Problem and Process in Human Development
  • Tantra: The Path of Ecstasy
  • Born to Believe: God, Science, and the Origin of Ordinary and Extraordinary Beliefs
  • Moby Clique (Bard Academy, #3)
While Canada Slept: How We Lost Our Place in the World The Unfinished Canadian: The People We Are Living Enlightenment: A Call for Evolution Beyond Ego Two Days in June: John F. Kennedy and the 48 Hours that Made History Lester B. Pearson

“In order to answer the question “Who am I?”, in order to go back to before the beginning within your own experience, you have to put your attention on the deepest sense of what it feels like to be yourself right now, and simultaneously let everything else go. Letting go means falling so deeply into yourself that all that is left is empty space.

To discover that infinite depth in your own self, you must find a way to enter into a deep state of meditation—so deep that your awareness of thought moves into the background and eventually disappears. As your awareness detaches itself from the thought-stream, your identification with emotion and memory begins to fall away. When awareness of thought disappears, awareness of the passing of time disappears along with it. If you keep penetrating into the infinite depths of your own self, even your awareness of your own physical form will disappear.

If you go deep enough, letting your attention expand and release from all objects in consciousness, you will find that all the structures of the created universe begin to crumble before your eyes. Awareness itself—limitless, empty, pristine—becomes the only object of your attention.

As your attention is released from the conditioned mind-process, freed from the confines of the body and the boundaries of the personal self-sense, the inner dimension of your own experience begins to open up to an immeasurable degree. Imagine that you have been fast asleep in a small, dark chamber, then suddenly awaken to find yourself floating in the infinite expanse of a vast, peaceful ocean. That’s what this journey to the depths of your own self feels like. You become aware of a limitless dimension that you did not even know was there. Moments before, you may have experienced yourself as being trapped, a prisoner of your body, mind, and emotions. But when you awaken to this new dimension, all sense of confinement disappears. You find yourself resting in, and as, boundless empty space.

In that empty space, the mind is completely still; there is no time, no memory, not even a trace of personal history. And the deeper you fall into that space, the more everything will continue to fall away, until finally all that will be left is you. When you let absolutely everything go—body, mind, memory, and time—you will find, miraculously, that you still exist. In fact, in the end, you discover that all that exists is you!”
3 likes
“The dynamic, future-oriented, ecstatically inspired state of the evolutionary impulse is the new enlightenment that I am speaking about. The inner eye has become compelled by the ever-unfulfilled promise of creating the future at a higher level than what exists in the present moment. When the awakening to this powerful spiritual urgency becomes one’s irrevocable attainment and permanent state, one has surely landed on the yonder shore, where the evolutionary impulse has become the driving force of fundamental principle guiding the vehicle called the body, mind, and soul. . . .

God is only as powerful in this world as those of us who have the courage and audacity to awaken in this way—to become one with our own impulse to evolve. That’s the awesome significance of being a human being who is awake. When you realize this for yourself, you discover what an extraordinary blessing it is to be who you are, in this world, right now. In fact, the whole point of the creative process is to be here—to participate fully, radically, consciously in the Universe Project. In this evolutionary context, the point of enlightenment is not merely to transcend the world so that you can be free of it but to embrace the world completely, to embrace the entire process as your self, knowing that you are the creative principle incarnate, and you have a lot of work to do. As an individual, you are instantaneously liberated, simply through taking that step, but your personal liberation is a mere by-product of finally embracing the awe-inspiring burden of the Universe Project, which in truth has been yours all along.”
3 likes