Start by marking “InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives” as Want to Read:
InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives

InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In this inspirational yet practical book, the man Parade called “the most important coach in America,” subject of the national bestseller Season of Life, Joe Ehrmann, describes his coaching philosophy and explains how sports can transform lives at every level of play, from the earliest years to professional sports.

Coaches have a tremendous platform, says Joe Ehrmann, a for
Published August 2nd 2011 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about InSideOut Coaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about InSideOut Coaching

Sean Seay
Aug 17, 2012 Sean Seay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership

This book is astounding! I'm about 75% done as i'm writing this, but it's already proving to be powerful for me. I've coached for years and I so badly wish I'd read & absorbed this years ago. I could have impacted so many kids and parents more effectively if I'd done so. I think everyone who coaches kids should be forced to read this first. I love it!
I'm now 100% done and it was truly remarkable. Oh how I wish I'd read this before I ever coached one kid. I pray I can live this out!
marcus miller
Mar 13, 2016 marcus miller rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one coaching or interested in coaching
Found a copy of this book after it was recommended at a coaching clinic I attended. This book would pair well with Parker Palmer's book, The Courage to Teach. Many of the ideas seem like common sense, yet in the world of athletics, common sense is often missing. First, Ehrmann writes about the importance of knowing oneself and being able to tell one's own story. Doing this background work helps to understand why you are coaching. Is it to help young people learn a sport, learn some skills and te ...more
Mike Matiscik
Aug 29, 2015 Mike Matiscik rated it really liked it
I think for coaching children this is a must read and more importantly a MUST practice!

Coaching is tough-- kids, parents and the coach all have expectations. I think a book like this helps you have the right perspective.

I left off one star because of some aspects of theology. Otherwise a stellar book. It confirmed much of my philosophy.

Note: I have seen too many coaches ruin kids. I don't want to be like that. Yet at the same time parents with unreasonable expectations can make a coach look li
Jeremy
Sep 25, 2013 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Solid stuff recommended by a friend. For many years, as both a coach and educator, I stumbled around who I was trying to become (Why do I coach?) and if I was getting the job done (What would it be like to be coached by me?). This book crystallized those answers, and while this acted more as validation than information, I am now much more able to articulate my goals as well as look at other coaches and accurately critique their approaches (which is actually part of my job as coaching director).
S
Adam
Aug 08, 2012 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, sports
I have given this book three stars. To say "I like it" would be incorrect because I did not like it as a resource for myself. It offered few insights into coaching of which I was not already aware or that my staff did not already practice. It certainly offered some affirmations and different language to be used. I think that for Ehrmann writing this book was equally as important as having other people read it...maybe more important. However, this is a good book for many coaches because it diverg ...more
Bill Johnson
Aug 06, 2015 Bill Johnson rated it liked it
Whereas Season Of Hope was so good, this got too "preachy". There were a few good things that I could incorporate into my coaching but it was more God and not enough connections. Maybe it should have been two stars???
J.T.
Oct 31, 2015 J.T. rated it really liked it
Well written and useful. Not revolutionary, but it takes things other books have said, and says them better.
M Garner
Jul 15, 2014 M Garner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I plan to transition to teaching as a second career in the next 2 - 4 years, and have been reading books on teaching to prepare for that. I read a good review of this book about 3 months ago, and have now read it 3 times. This is the first author I've read who really steps back and asks (and explains) what is the long-term purpose of teaching? His answer makes sense, and he offers some simple concepts for teachers to incorporate in their lesson plans. Strongly recommended.
Carrie Lampe
Jun 03, 2014 Carrie Lampe rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read for coaching/teaching. I was able to implement his philosophies as I was reading. My athletes have benefited so much from this book.
Why do I coach?
Why do I coach the way I coach?
How does it feel to be coached by me?
How do I define success?
These questions bugged me daily. I am glad this book was so challenging and I am sure I will reread it many times before I retire from coaching.
Stacey
Nov 06, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it
A great read for any coach. In thinking back many of my coaches were huge influences for me throughout middle school and high school, and the truly great coaches are those that focuses on who I was as a person, not only the game!
Catherine
Oct 17, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Great read for anyone wanting to be a coach or coaching. Get through his personal reflection in the beginning, and your set. Only downfall I have, is it is primarily focused for coaching males, and I will say there is some difference in coaching females. Loved the book and the ideas.
Lauren
Aug 23, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Excited to be finished wit this book so I can begin to plan and implement ideas I've garnered from it into my Upward Basketball League at the Church of the Saviour. Not only a great book for coaches, of all sports, but really a great book on leadership.
Marklandman
Mar 07, 2015 Marklandman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Really made me think about some of my own coaching and helped me to start reflecting on why I coach the way I do. Definitely going to take some ideas away from this book and try to implement them in my own coaching.
Jim Lefebvre
Jul 30, 2015 Jim Lefebvre rated it it was amazing
I first heard him speak at a coaches' clinic last summer so I bought his book. This is a must read for coaches who care as much about building character and values in their athletes as wins and losses.
Andrew
Jan 02, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book! Every teacher, coach, administrator or anyone the works with people should read this book! It makes you reflect on Why you do things. I Highly recommend it!
Gillian Bourassa
I really enjoyed this book. A lot of Ehrmann's reflections & philosophies resonated with me, and I'm looking forward to his visit to my school in January!
Joel Jacobs
Aug 07, 2012 Joel Jacobs rated it really liked it
Okay book. Reaffirmed a lot about what I already thought was important about coaching. Good reminder though that winning isn't everything.
Nancy Bertrand
Dec 17, 2014 Nancy Bertrand rated it really liked it
I am not a coach but read this book as part of a sports activities book study. Outstanding!
Troy Engle
Apr 25, 2016 Troy Engle rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking book that challenges coaches to think about "why" they coach.
Bryan Jernigan
May 15, 2016 Bryan Jernigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!! This should be required reading for anyone going into coaching.
Linda
Aug 21, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Great! A book that should be read by all coaches! So much great information!
Marc Kirby
Jan 15, 2013 Marc Kirby rated it it was amazing
A must read for all coaches. I wish I had read it years ago.
Rick Faby
Sep 20, 2012 Rick Faby rated it really liked it
A guide that all coaches shoud have as reference!!
Kory Barnett
Kory Barnett marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Jon Hughey
Jon Hughey marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Dewey
Dewey added it
May 18, 2016
Paul Limpert
Paul Limpert rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Scott Whetsell
Scott Whetsell rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
  • Coaching the Mental Game: Leadership Philosophies and Strategies for Peak Performance in Sports and Everyday Life
  • Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood
  • Language and Responsibility: Based on Conversations with Mitsou Ronat
  • The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • The Man Watching: A Biography of Anson Dorrance, the Unlikely Architect of the Greatest College Sports Dynasty Ever
  • When the Game Stands Tall, Special Movie Edition: The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football's Longest Winning Streak
  • Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence
  • The Conscience of the Eye: The Design and Social Life of Cities
  • Lead Small
  • It's Not about the Truth: The Untold Story of the Duke Lacrosse Case and the Lives It Shattered
  • The Big Test: The Secret History of the American Meritocracy
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Elite Minds: Creating the Competitive Advantage
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance
  • Swing Your Sword: Leading the Charge in Football and Life

“One of the great myths in America is that sports build character. They can and they should. Indeed, sports may be the perfect venue in which to build character. But sports don’t build character unless a coach possesses character and intentionally teaches it. Sports can team with ethics and character and spirituality; virtuous coaching can integrate the body with the heart, the mind, and the soul.” 0 likes
“A favorite concept of mine comes from Henri Nouwen’s book The Wounded Healer. The premise of the book is that as we travel life’s journey from childhood to adulthood we acquire wounds along the way. A wound can be any unresolved social, emotional, relational issue that still impacts our lives. These wounds can be inflicted by negative cultural messages or experiences with parents, peers, or adults with power and authority over us. Unresolved, these wounds can leave us with a sense of deficiency or inferiority. We can let unhealed wounds drive us and risk hurting our players through endless self-serving transactions, or we can heal ourselves and then help heal our players. Nouwen says we have two choices: Either we deny, repress, or dissociate from the wounding and therefore wound others with our unhealed injuries, or we bring healing to our wounds and offer our healed wounds to others to heal and transform their lives. I am a wounded healer and this is the story of my wounds, their healing, and the transformation in coaching that ensued because I chose to process and grieve over my pain instead of hiding it and acting it out.” 0 likes