Start by marking “Noche de fuego ” as Want to Read:
Noche de fuego

Noche de fuego (Night Trilogy #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,049 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
El deseo de regresar a casa y casarse con Arielle, su amor de la infancia, fue lo que mantuvo viva la esperanza de Burke Drummond durante tres años de guerra. Nunca supo que, en su ausencia, el hermanastro de Arielle había tomado una decisión que afectaría para siempre su vida. Cuando por fin regresa, Burke descubre que la adolescente Arielle se ha convertido en una bella ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Ediciones B (first published February 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Noche de fuego, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noche de fuego

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Burke Drummond is totally besotted upon his first meeting with Arielle Leslie.He knows nothing can become of them right now,she being way too young and he about to go off to fight in France.He vows upon his return he will have her for his own! Ahhh..but departures can change many things,and what we expect to be still the same or waiting upon one's return is not always to be.While Burke was off fighting,Arielle is sold by her half brother to a cruel and sadistic old man who needs a young beauty t ...more
Kit★
3.5 Stars! This book won as the group read of the month in the Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous Group, and I decided to participate, as it's been over 10 years since I read this book for the first and only time. I remember it not being anywhere near one of my favorites of Coulter's work (who I used to glom back in those days like she was my bff lol). In fact, I remember not being a big fan of this one at all. But, growing up some, and the experience of those in between years may give me a differe ...more
Karla
Ugh, thank God that's over. If I gave more of a shit, I'd review it, but I'd like to forget this ever happened.
JadedlilFecker
He knew now that he could control her. Oh, yes, indeed he could.

@.@ It's on like Donkey Kong.
Tina
If you're into obsessive hero's - because he loves her so much - then you need to read this. This also has the love-at-first-sight theme and a sexually abused heroine.

I know themes like these might not be everyone's cup of tea, so I thought I would mention that. I hate sexually abused (from previous relationship) themes myself normally because they tend to drag on, however, when done by a gifted author like CC, it wasn't a bore. I loved this book.
Melissa
Jun 12, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, library, romance, 2012
First Coulter novel I've read.

I thought it was dry, repetitive, and confusing at the crucial moments. Not sure if I'll even look into the other in the series since this one turned me off so much. I've read other novels involving abusive relationships and healing love and this was just done poorly.
Barbara Rogers
Feb 16, 2016 Barbara Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.

Burke Drummond, Earl of Ravensworth, meets Arielle Leslie when she is just 16 years old and is smitten. He tells her he loves her, but she is too young at the time, so he goes back to the wars with plans to return and marry her when the war is over.

A few months after Burke leaves, Arielle's beloved father dies and leaves her step-brother (whom she's never met) as her guardian. The step-brother is a real piece of work and hates Arielle. There doesn't appear to be a good reason
Brittany
Jun 16, 2015 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lafanda
One of my favorite historical romances. I definitely understand why some readers would have beef with the hero, but I thought he was a very sweet man and really loved and cared for Arielle. The story progresses really well and I loved how their relationship grows and turns loving. Arielle has some obvious PTSD, and even though Burke doesn't go about comforting her in the best way, he still helps her heal and she turns into a strong woman.

Some spoilers ahead.

Ok, so maybe kidnapping a woman, hold
Connie
Jun 10, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is #1 in The Night Trilogy.

This particular one is about Arielle and Burke. The first chapter was pretty brutal, but if you could get past that one chapter, I think the story moved along nicely.

I felt the book needed a little more editing. When Burke changed horses at the end of the book, and made a point of changing horses, the least that could have been done was to call the new horse by the correct name and not the one that was put in the barn. Other editing things made me cringe as well.
This is the first book in one of Coulter's trilogies. Set in regency times, it is about a girl who is forced to marry an older man who abuses her. When he dies, she thinks she is free only to find out that other problems arise.
Luisa B.
Mar 29, 2015 Luisa B. rated it really liked it
¿Qué sucedió con el bendito caballo Victor?
Este libro me ha gustado más de lo que esperaba.
Inicialmente no me convencía Burke, era muy agresivo en su manera de acercarse a Arielle, además de que su dichoso amor me parecía más una completa obsesión... pero poco a poco empezó a ser el dulce héroe que esperaba encontrar y el romance se fue haciendo más bonito y tierno mientras que Arielle encontraba su fuerza interior.
Es una historia dulce que se lee en un suspiro, porque la pluma de la autora es b
George Park
Apr 01, 2016 George Park rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a little slow at the start. Then when I began to understand the two lead characters,
Burke and Arielle, I became enchanted.

the author takes two damaged souls and leads them to healing and love. In one of the longest delays of sexual gratification, Burke, who was injured in war, returns to England to search out and marry the girl he had seen only briefly when she was but age 15. He was badly injured in the war and took time for his body to heal.
In his absence, the young girl is
Lovetoread
Night Fire by Catherine Coulter is a very intense story about innocents lost, horrific abuse, and healing of a young woman's mind and spirit along with the ability to trust again.

When she was 15 years old the beautiful spirited Arielle Leslie while riding her horse spots a man sitting by a pond, which just happens to be a favorite spot of her's also. Here with all the joy and innocents of youth she meets the handsom Burke Drummond. Burke is in the military and is home recovering from an injury w
Peg
Nov 16, 2013 Peg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Night Fire Trilogy, which takes place during the 1800's in England. Arielle Leslie the heroine, was 15 years old at the time, when she had come upon a man sitting at her favorite spot by the water. He was handsome and charming, and Arielle found herself quickly becoming infatuated with him. He introduced himself as Burke Drummond, the new Earl of Ravensworth. But Arielle's romantic fantasies of this man would be short lived, because her half-brother had other plans ...more
Sawyer Belle
Dec 04, 2013 Sawyer Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't like this book, until I liked it very well!

Ariel was a victim of her time and of her sex. A desirable, fiesty youth is robbed of her will and broken beneath the brutality of her husband. When his death sets her free she is determined that she'll not marry again...

But Burke has other plans...Returning from war on the continent, his thoughts are bent on the beauty who ensnared him years before. When he returns to learn that she had been married and recently widowed, he is astonish
Abby
Aug 15, 2007 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I adore Catherine Coulter's older historical romances. Partially because she was one of the first romance authors I ever read (The Sherbrooke Bride being the very first), but also because while the conventions of the genre are clear cut and well-defined, her characters lives are anything but.

In Night Fire, the main characters deal with things not spoken of in Regency England, let alone written of by contemporary historical romance novelists. The heroine is abused physically, sexually and emotio
Kari
Nov 12, 2012 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
As much as I enjoy Ms. Coulter's romantic suspense, I love her historical romances even more. Night Fire is the first in the "Night" Trilogy. This one was very uncomfortable to read to at times. The things that Arielle's first husband put her though were just brutal and despicable. Ms. Coulter does not shelter the reader from the reality of the situation either. While it was hard to read, I have to give her props for being willing to not sugar coat everything. Had she done that, I don't think th ...more
Kristal Taylor
Apr 08, 2014 Kristal Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book although I hope the next book is better. I thought it too to long to get to the romance and happiness. These people were awful. Burke Drummond was totally in love when first meeting Arielle Leslie. Her being to young he moved on. Back in his mind no one could compete with his love for her. And when she was older getting her to fall back in love with him was awful going through the terrible things she went through. Just saying took to long for them to be together. Like fil ...more
B
Aug 29, 2015 B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I think this is going to be one to read and reread. There are definitely some dark elements in the story, but this is a true romance between a 'good guy' H who is utterly in love with the h who is recovering from a disaster of a first marriage and understandably very slow to trust. The H could have been seen as a stalker but it didnt come across that way to me. Instead he spent alot of time tenderly caring for the h and putting her needs above his.

Chichiohh
Jul 31, 2013 Chichiohh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Healing after an abusive relationship done very poorly. I find it interesting that modern readers would entertain this, especially as we are moving towards a general sense of female empowerment etc.

I find that Burke is overbearing and high-handed, and that in light of the heroine's history of sexual abuse, those traits are unforgivable in the hero. The only thing separating him from the heroine's ex is his own belief that he is 'the best thing for her'.

*SPOILER*
Which becomes his argument as to w
Rhapsody
Dec 09, 2015 Rhapsody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the abused heroine
This book seems to get mixed reactions. Apparently, Coulter's got some really controversial stuff out there. Compared to some of her other works, I think this one's pretty tame, but it still has some unpleasant scenes involving Arielle's abusive first husband. Burke, however, is a decent hero. The worst thing he does is kidnap her when she's trying to flee her estate to go to America. Normally, I despise any hero who tries to take away the heroine's freedom, but Burke grew on me when he didn't d ...more
Danise
Mar 13, 2016 Danise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the story, I had trouble wanting the hero to prevail. He was likeable enough as a person until he was dealing with the heroine. Seriously, I want an abused woman to trust me and love me, so I'll kidnap her, force her to marry me, alternately treat her nice and command her... and she'll eventually realize I'm great? Eh. Didn't win me over.
Jaime
I have mixed feelings about this. Arielle is horribly abused by her first husband, but frankly, Burke wasn’t much better for much of the book. He decided that he wanted to have Arielle as his wife, and who cares what she thinks about it. Surely, if she’s forced to spend all her time with him, she’ll come around eventually! Burke may have never physically hurt her, but the beginning of their relationship was no less abusive. That being said, I did like Arielle and Burke and I liked them together, ...more
Cas H.
Aug 02, 2013 Cas H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Catherine Coulter's writing style. She has a way of drawing readers into the full story, not just the action. She has a way of making you feel for the characters as well as feel like the characters. Night Fire is about a man named Burke Drummond and a Woman named Arielle Leslie. When she is 16 they meet and she decides that she likes Burke a lot, Burke also likes her a lot, but thinks that he is crazy because she is still so young, so he goes back to the Army only to return three years la ...more
Diana
Married to a sadistic abuser, Arielle has suffered through degradation. Now a widow, she finds herself married to her childhood infatuation, Burke, who is determined to heal her.

I found that I just couldn't like this book as much as I wanted to. It pretends to be a sweet romance, and portrays Burke as being so solicitous with his poor abused love, but I thought he was selfish and heavy-handed, and it was a wonder Arielle recovered at all. He was so set on what he wanted that I just wanted to sma
Susan Ritter
I love her other series (Brides) mostly 4 and 5 star for me. This book was just not for me. I'm rating it a 3, as it is written well, but the story for me is a 2 star. I have already purchased the first in the FBI series and look forward to reading this series.
Alexag
Oct 08, 2013 Alexag rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could have live my life peacefully without reading this book, meaning, I did not give me anything, not a night of insomnia trying to finish it, nothing.
Burke, Ok, at first he did not know a thing about Arielles condition, and thoughts about men, but Come ON! If you are the gentlemen you claim to be, behave like that! You do not force a woman just because you love her.
The author could have gone deeper in Dorcas history, so that way we could simpatize more with her, and see the other way that
Judy Martin
Jan 25, 2016 Judy Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I've said before I love Catherine Coulter books a d this one is exceptional. She wrote about Burke being so understanding, and I don't believe that most men are that understanding. Very good.
Krita
Aug 30, 2014 Krita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, romance
This was a very different book. Very graphic for the time in which it is set. It was an interesting way that Burke set about his task. Not sure I agreed with his methods but it worked.
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Morgan-Challenger, #3)
  • When Angels Fall
  • To Love An Earl
  • The Viking's Woman (Viking, #2)
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
  • Silver Angel
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • Deceive Not My Heart (Louisiana, #3)
  • Splendor
  • Impulse
  • The Silver Devil
  • Blaze Wyndham (Wyndham Saga, #1)
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • Magic Embrace

Night Trilogy (3 books)
  • Night Shadow (Night Trilogy, #2)
  • Night Storm (Night Trilogy, #3)