Start by marking “Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)” as Want to Read:
Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)

Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie #17)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,515 Ratings  ·  221 Reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In Listen to My Trumpet! Piggie can’t wait to play her new instrument for Gerald! But is she ready to listen to his reaction?

Published February 7th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Listen to My Trumpet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen to My Trumpet!

Lisa
May 03, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing

Love Mo Williams books! A fave for my kids! :)
Melissa
When I first glanced through this one and saw all of Piggie's noises, I thought, "Uh-oh, this is going to be a mess for a beginning reader to read." But Mo was a step ahead of me as usual. I just read it out loud for the first time to my 11yo, deliberately saying each one of the trumpet noises out loud along the way.

You know what? Each of the noises is a five letter "word," each starting with a two-letter blend like /bl/ or /gr/, followed by a hyphen, and each ending with a three-letter rime su
midnightfaerie
Jun 28, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I had never heard of Mo Willems until I checked out the list of top children's books here on GR. But he is quickly becoming one of our favorite authors. An adorable story about pig showing the elephant how he plays his new trumpet, the pictures and the story lines are enough to keep my 5 yr old and twin 2 yr olds engaged and interested. Fun stories with interesting twists you don't often see in other children's books, they are books even I can get into and enjoy. This one is probably about a lev ...more
Anne
Oct 31, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ah Mo Willems...this book is a home run for children who listen and the adult who reads to them. Subtle and meaningful illustrations. Deceptively simple text that lends itself to discussion and interpretation.
Anne
Mar 01, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
This would be a fun one to perform at storytime! Now... where can I borrow a trumpet?!
Dolly
Aug 10, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Yay! Another Elephant and Piggie story! We read them as soon as we can get them at our local library. We just love these books and our girls love to play the different parts.

With only two speaking parts, I got to sit back and listen to our girls read the book to me. I love how Mo Willems includes lots of varying volumes and enthusiasm in his dialogue and I was so impressed how our girls used different inflections in their voice to convey these changes. Oh, and the onomatopoeia of the trumpet no
Carey
Mar 10, 2012 Carey rated it liked it
Unlike other Elephant and Piggie books, this one is mostly sound effects as Piggie tries to play the trumpet for Gerald. It doesn't really help a kid who trying to practice reading. And I have always had trouble making a trumpting sound, let alone making 6 different bad trumpet sounds, so I'm not looking forward to reading this one aloud either.

Update: I read this to the kids and they laughed non-stop through the whole story, probably more than any other Elephant and Piggie book yet. So, I added
Laurie
Dec 27, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
Kristin McIlhagga
Feb 12, 2012 Kristin McIlhagga rated it it was amazing
It blows my mind that each time I read a Mo Willems book, he still manages to surprise me. Listen to My Trumpet again made me laugh out loud as Piggie "performs" on his trumpet for Gerald. My 7-year-old brought it over to me at our local independent bookstore and demanded the we read it immediately. She read the part of Piggie and I was Gerald. We loved it. The fact that her daddy plays trumpet and she actually has an Aunt Molly made her give it a 6 out of 5 stars. You won't be disappointed!
Tori
Oct 16, 2012 Tori rated it it was amazing
It's hard to call it Children's Literature, but truthfully it's been a bridge for us. Mo Willems has touched a little corner of my daughter's heart with his dear Elephant and Piggie books and she has developed a desire to read after devouring this series. Thanks, Mo Willems! Elephant and Piggie are a great example of a real, beautiful friendship, too. Good lessons to learn for young readers!
Kate Gorman
Mar 10, 2012 Kate Gorman rated it really liked it
Shelves: notable-children
I want a friend like Piggie who wants to communicate with me anyway necessary.

I want a friend like Gerald, who knows that a friend wants to hear the truth.

Elephant and Piggie books are great for early readers (my recommendation is Kindergarten and First Graders) who like a bit of silly.

I also think Elephant and Piggie books are great to brighten up an adults day.
Melinda Garman
Biggie just wants to be able to speak to elephant in his own language. You could use this book to talk to students about different languages and how we can communicate with them. Are they are universal languages or ways to communicate? Recommended for K through 2nd grade.
Rachel
Apr 06, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
I love many of the Elephant and Piggie books for story time- I'm a childrens's librarian- and this one is no exception. Make sure to make lots of funny trumpet sounds, and you'll have kids ROFLing :)
Amy
Apr 04, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece gave a fantastic, succinct review of Listen to My Trumpet. "Well," she said, "that book was just a lot of noise." Amen, sister!
Bridget R. Wilson
I had an "ahhh" moment when Piggie revealed what she was trying to do with her trumpet. Great addition to a wonderful series.
Donalyn
Why am I just figuring out that Piggie is a girl? I probably should have asked a five year old!
Jacob
Feb 22, 2013 Jacob rated it it was ok
"I didn't like all the funny words when he was trying to make music."
Kelly Rae
Mar 05, 2012 Kelly Rae rated it it was amazing
Piggie Storytime. Played my trumpet too!
Gabby
Oct 02, 2012 Gabby rated it it was amazing
I love the Piggie and Gerald series by Mo Willems, and this book is one of my favorites in the series. In this book, Piggie acquires a trumpet, and when she plays, the notes are BLUUUURRRKs and BL-Aps,TRINKS, and GRELPS. She then asks her best friend Gerald what he thinks of her trumpet playing, he stalls and stutters a little bit because he thinks that what she has played does not sound like music, but more like his Aunt Molly with a cold. When he gets around to telling Piggie this, she says t ...more
Megan
Oct 03, 2012 Megan added it
Summary: This book was about a Pig, Piggie, who has an elephant named Gerald for a friend. Piggie wants to play his new trumpet for Gerald, but Piggie is NOT good at playing the trumpet. Gerald is Piggie’s friend but isn’t sure how to tell Piggie that the sounds he is making isn’t music. When Gerald finally tells Piggie the truth, Piggie is shocked that Gerald thought he was trying to play music, because what he was really trying to do was talk like an elephant!

Audience: This is a short picture
Jennifer Peterson
Oct 03, 2012 Jennifer Peterson rated it really liked it
This is one of many adorable books in the "Elephant and Piggie" series. It is a cute story about a predicament many of us have been in ourselves...whether to be honest or not when you are at the risk of hurting someone's feelings. Piggie has just gotten a trumpet and is ecstatic to share his new talent with his good friend, Elephant. The problem is, after playing, Piggie wants Elephant's opinion on his performance. Elephant is at a loss as to a response for the 'music' he has just endured. This ...more
babyhippoface
Mar 30, 2012 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
Piggie is so excited! She has a trumpet! She cannot wait to show Gerald what she can do with the trumpet. Gerald, however, is not impressed. With every Gr-ICK! and Sk-ACK! Piggie makes, Gerald thinks to himself, That is not music! How can he ever tell his best friend that he does not like her trumpet playing?

One of my favorite parts of the Elephant and Piggie books are the little nuances Willems adds to his drawings. Gerald and Piggie make some of the funniest faces. I'm always amazed at wha
Jessica
Sep 04, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
In my eyes, Mo Willems can do no wrong. In particular, the Elephant & Piggie series are fantastic in their simplicity, the use of volume, noises, etc., and I just love how the stories trick you into thinking that it'll be a basic and predictable story, and then surprise you. Listen to My Trumpet! is no different. It's the story of Piggie's new trumpet, which makes horrible screeches, and Gerald having to make the decision to be honest and tell Piggie how it really sounds. But of course, thin ...more
Teri
May 23, 2016 Teri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Isn't honesty always the best policy between friends? In Listen to My Trumpet!, Willems shows how Elephant tells Piggie the truth in a nice way. It's a great message we probably could all stand to be reminded.

For teachers, the best way to use this book is likely socially. This is a good way on how to phrase criticisms to other people in a nice way -- or just be nice to everyone. It's a good way to live your life.
Paul  Hankins
When Piggie shares his new trumpet with Elephant and asks for feedback, Elephant is placed in a difficult situation that will be very familiar to older readers (like us), but new interpersonal waters to navigate for younger readers.

This would make a very good read-aloud for the beginning of a Summer Institute with The National Writing Project. Piggie never reveals his motive for having picked up the trumpet, but writers can ask--and NWP celebrates this--readers to Bless, Address, or Press a pie
Becky B
Piggie gets a new trumpet and has Gerald sit and listen to her play. Then Piggie asks Gerald what he thinks. Gerald tries to be tactful and considerate of Piggie's feelings, but eventually he decides she needs to hear the truth. And surprisingly, Piggie handles the truth quite well. But she has a surprise of her own.

The illustrations in this may be the funniest in any Elephant & Piggie book to date. Piggie's face while playing the trumpet and Gerald's while suffering through listening to the
Bridget Neace
Jun 05, 2016 Bridget Neace rated it it was amazing
Before becoming a librarian, I knew of Mo Willems' famous *Pigeon* but while I knew that kids loved Elephant & Piggie, I'd never read one.

Well, as of right now, 24 have been published (#25 is coming in May) and I have read 21 of them--some to my students, but mostly I've been reading them to my own children (my husband reads Gerald the Elephant and I read Piggie!)...and I totally understand why kids love these books.

This particular book is not only especially funny (Piggie tries so hard to
Alison
Oct 02, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I actually laughed out loud at the end of this book. Piggie gets a trumpet and is super excited to play it for Gerald. Unfortunately, Gerald is not very happy to tell Piggie that he does not play well. Piggie finally tells Gerald he is not trying to play MUSIC. I won't ruin the ending for you though...
Kasey
Oct 03, 2012 Kasey rated it really liked it
This chapter book is great and I can only imagine how good the other books in the series are. Every friendship goes through this sort of problem and its good when children can read about it and experience so they have an idea about how to handle the situation. Piggy loves his new trumpet and shows it off to his friend Gerald the elephant. Piggy wants to know what Gerald thinks of his playing and Gerald is at a loss for what to say. Piggy's playing was not good but Gerald does not want to hurt hi ...more
Thalia Papadakis
Jul 25, 2016 Thalia Papadakis rated it really liked it
My students introduced me to the Elephant and Piggy series. At first, I thought the books were silly, until I realized they were a perfect way to teach younger students about the limbic system (I use puppets for the older kids). Elephant is the Amygdala, and Piggy is the Hippocampus!
  • Penny and Her Song
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • Boy + Bot
  • Chopsticks
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Another Brother
  • What Animals Really Like
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • A Home for Bird
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Crafty Chloe
  • E-mergency!
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • One Cool Friend
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)