Start by marking “Boys for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Boys for Beginners

Boys for Beginners

Published August 1st 2011 by Quercus Books

SJH (A Dream of Books)
I love reading books by British authors and I always enjoy trying new debut novels so ‘Boys For Beginners’ ticked both boxes for me. This was a book which made me laugh and smile and was a thoroughly fun and enjoyable read.

The main character Gwynnie is a tomboy who loves football and playing computer games. She’s a die hard Spurs fan and her only interest in the opposite sex is if they're any good at sport. All that changes when she meets new boy Charlie, who she develops an instant crush on. Su
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Boys for the beginners is the debut novel from a new author which which be perfect reading material for younger teenage girls.

The main idea for this book is to highlight the ways in which teenagers feel they need to change themselves to fit in which the popular crowd. I liked how this idea was addressed as the main character who is a real tomboy finds herself wanting to become more girly in order to fit in with the main crowd of popular girls. I though the whole storyline was written well and wi
Megan Birch
Apr 21, 2012 Megan Birch rated it it was amazing
This book was really good!

Gwynnie is a tomboy: into football, baggy t-shirts, hates make-up and nice clothes. All the things a girl shouldn't be into. Until a year 10 called Charlie starts her secondary school. She madly falls in love with him and thinks that he is the hottest boy ever. Until she realises that he will never fall for her so she thinks that its time to change who she is and ditches the t-shirts, football boots to make him fall in love with her.

Love this book!

Rabiah
Jun 08, 2015 Rabiah rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

Another British book! I received Boys for Beginners along with My Family and Other Freaks Carol Midgley and totally ended up loving both of them. I read this one right after My Family and Other Freaks, and it might just be the format, same publisher, etc., but they were actually pretty similar in some aspects, but otherwise I feel that this one was a bit different from of the other British preteen and teen books I’ve read in the past.
Mimi
May 28, 2013 Mimi rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed this review check out my others on my Blog :

Book name - Boys for Beginners

Author - Lil Chase

Page count - 278 pages

Time spent reading - 12th - 13th

Review :

This book has been sitting on my shelves since November when I purchased it for 10p in my favourite charity shop.

I'm so glad I picked to read it this week because it has made for a smashing start to the Read-a-thon experience!

It's a humorous contemporary that's a necessity for any fun-lov
Claire Rousseau
Jan 20, 2016 Claire Rousseau rated it really liked it
Gwynnie is a smart, vivacious teenage girl who is more interested in football and video games than make-up and boys. That is, until she meets new student Charlie, who becomes her first crush. The only trouble is, he thinks of her as a mate, and not a girl. Gwynnie decides to go girlie in hopes that Charlie will see her as a girl, and a potential girlfriend.

It's really a funny, smart, charming story, with lots of twist and turns and ultimately, an ending that feels real, and satisfactory. I loved
Katie
May 05, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
Funny,cute and clever. I didn't give it 5 stars because I expected it be a lot better, it was very unrealistic and I knew what was going to happen throughout the whole book.
Elizabeth
Amy
May 30, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: british
Once again, Lil' Chase has written a humorous book with a serious side. The serious side wasn't as big but it was there alright allowing Boys For Beginners to become one of those worthy, quotable contemporaries (as you can see above).
I may not have been as interested in the idea of emphasis being put on a football fanatic who is friends with tons of boys, and girls...? To her, they're crazy. Yes, her. I didn't know if I'd like the fact she was so obviously not girly yet but would be transform in
Jessica
Apr 20, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-books
I thought in the blurb it sounded a bit like the english version of Catching Jordan, yet i was completely wrong.

the story line personally wasn't one of the best as all of a sudden she drops all of her friends that are boys and loses interest in all matters off football to become friends with these girls that will help get the attention of the boy she likes yet i personally cant see how everything can be dropped so quickly.

Overall it was a lot better than my expectations although I didn't find
Georgia Davies-Smith
I got this book free with a magazine a few years back and only found it again while moving house. I decided to try it and I read it in just 3 days. It was very short and light hearted and I found it refreshing for there to be a book about a girl that isn't your 'stereotype' teenager. I did think the book was a little predictable at times and I would say it was aimed at someone younger than me but I enjoyed it and it made me laugh and that's good enough for me :)
Shahrun
Apr 19, 2016 Shahrun rated it really liked it
Danielle
Sep 08, 2013 Danielle rated it liked it
I liked it as it was a good 'quick chick flick'. The book was short and easy to read. I recommend this to 10-14 year olds. This book is very good literature for these ages. But I found it a bit predictable at some stages and unrealistic. Gwynnie the main character went from tomboy to girly girl. Because of the new year 10 boy Charlie Notts. honestly I think this deserved at 3-3 1/2 out of 5 stars
Cat
Gwynnie is a bit pathetic, i hated Jenny but all in all i really liked this book! i had it free with a magazine and finished it in a day! It was very apt considering i was watching my team playing at wembley today (on tv) ;D<3
Jeannette
Nov 18, 2011 Jeannette rated it really liked it
I wouldn't normally have found my way to this book, but it was written by the niece of one of my best friends. Although it's clearly aimed at young teenage girls, I thoroughly enjoyed the brisk plotting and big doses of humor. Great fun.
Suzanne
A girl's book, written by a girl. Not too bad at all; I'm going to pass it on to my granddaughter - I'm sure she'll enjoy it
Steph
Oct 07, 2013 Steph rated it really liked it
Why are people so critical? They set their expectations too high. It's like expecting a mouse to accomplish a marathon.
Lauren S
Feb 24, 2012 Lauren S rated it liked it
I got this book with a magazine (Mizz ;]), and it was good! Short, but worth it! I finsihed it in a day tho xD
Ida
Nov 04, 2015 Ida rated it it was amazing
really funny and cute and short great after a reading slump acctually re reading this book currently
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Knittedjumper
Knittedjumper rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Katie Jordan
Katie Jordan rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Purple Princess
Purple Princess rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Jolie
Jolie rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Kalyani^_^ Kadam
Kalyani^_^ Kadam rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Mansi
Mansi rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2012
Tessa
Tessa rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2012
Sophie Mogg
Sophie Mogg rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Charulakshmi Neeliath
Charulakshmi Neeliath rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Twindania Namiesyva
Twindania Namiesyva rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • 32c That's Me
  • Love Struck
  • Looking-Glass Girl
  • Falling Fast (Flynn, #1)
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1)
  • The Beach House
  • Songs About a Girl
  • Love, Lies and Lizzie (21st Century Austen, #4)
  • Killing Honour
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
  • Everybody Jam
  • Where I Belong
  • For Holly
  • Willa by Heart (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #3)
  • Twenty Questions for Gloria
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • Soul Fire