Start by marking “Betrayal” as Want to Read:
Betrayal

Betrayal

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Lydia Hamilton was a modern woman, happily in love and living in Canada until the nightmares. Following the death of her father, Lydia begins dreaming of places and people she doesn t know. When she closes her eyes, she sees a bloodied, severed head. The images are confusing and unclear, but she knows one thing for sure: something bad happened a long time ago. And why only ...more
Published June 14th 2011 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Recommended Historical Fiction
404th out of 2,236 books — 2,210 voters
Madame Tussaud by Michelle MoranLily of the Nile by Stephanie DrayElizabeth I by Margaret GeorgeThe Second Duchess by Elizabeth LoupasDaughters of Rome by Kate Quinn
Historical Fiction 2011
71st out of 110 books — 655 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
When you read a story this good, you always wonder if the next book will compare. Lydia a modern day women who lives in Canada with her boyfriend begins to experience dreams after her father’s death. Dreams of another time, place, and about a women whom she soon discovers her name, Elisabeth Beeton, a servant of Anne Boleyn during the time of King Henry VIII in sixteenth century England.

Lydia desperately wants to know why she is having these dreams and what they mean. Meanwhile her mother’s (who
Lindsay
I have waffled back and forth about how to rate this book, and I really want to explain well why I have rated it only 2 stars.
I'll start with what I enjoyed about the book. Although the idea of reincarnation is not new, Michele Kallio offers a fresh take on it in showing all of the realistic side-effects that memory of past lives might cause. Our main character, Lydia, is having nightmares. When they begin to leak into her waking hours, it begins to cause problems not only with her own mental we
Claire Ridgway
Jun 14, 2012 Claire Ridgway rated it it was amazing
A wonderful debut!

I was recommended this novel by a friend and I'm so glad that I listened to her as the description on Amazon just does not do the book justice.

The blurb on Amazon says:
"Lydia Hamilton was a modern woman, happily in love and living in Canada . . . until the nightmares. Following the death of her father, Lydia begins dreaming of places and people she doesn't know. When she closes her eyes, she sees a bloodied, severed head. The images are confusing and unclear, but she knows one
Kai Markanday
Feb 22, 2012 Kai Markanday rated it liked it
DISCLAIMER: I received this book through Goodreads First Reads
WARNING: some spoilers
The book follows our protagonist Lydia (Olivia) Hamilton, who although quite flawed and personally I found her to be annoying, was a well developed and realistic character. Her relationship with Dan frustrated me, as I found his reactions to her nightmares to be inconsistent and confusing; considering his profession is a doctor his actions did not make sense, especially at the beginning. This is probably one of t
Karen Aminadra
Jun 13, 2012 Karen Aminadra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carefully Written - Skilfully Crafted

Betrayal is a nice long book and rightfully so. Michele has given plenty for a reader to get their teeth into. Betrayal is so carefully written and skilfully crafted that it will go down in my memory as one of the best books I have ever read.

Michele has a great way of making you feel as though you are feeling intuitively about her characters. Usually a writer drops clues or breadcrumbs to follow, and we build up a picture of the character, however, Michele co
Jodi
Mar 08, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing
When I had finished the stack of galley's I was reviewing I was able to return my attention to Michele's novel Betrayal and was instantly captivated all over again. Michele skillfully combines current day with dream sequences relating to life in the 1500s. The characters are well portrayed and the storyline is believable.

The lead character Lydia Hamilton seems to have an idyllic life working and living with her boyfriend Dr. Dan Taylor that is until she begins to have a recurring dream that hau
Michele Kallio
Aug 17, 2011 Michele Kallio rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Instead of reviewing the book myself I would like to quote Kate Mullen in her review of Betrayal as found on www.Amazon.co.uk

The author demonstrates a lively knowledge of her subject. With the story set on two continents and two time scales, she shows a versitility and skillful story telling which is refreshingly rare in a new author. If you like Barbara Erskine and Kate Mosse, you will enjoy this book.
Two lives seperated by thousands of miles and four centuries finally come together to produce
Amy
Feb 24, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Awesome is what I say! I have never felt so close to a character before! You feel like you travel right there beside her. A definite must read!
Sarah u
I'm pulling this review as I have the revised edition to read now.
Sarah u

Fans of the reign of Henry VIII and his second wife, Anne Boleyn, don't really struggle to find novels to read which are set in this time. There are so many to choose from told from various points of view; Anne, her ladies, her contemporaries, and so on. Recently there has also been a few time-slip novels appear on the market, Betrayal by Michele Kallio being one of them.

NOTE: This review is for the 2013 rewrite of Betrayal, which has several different plotlines to its predecessor.

Betrayal begin
Irene
Feb 25, 2013 Irene rated it liked it
I received this book free with the understanding that I would review the book.

This book is the sort of novel that makes its way onto the best-seller list. It is a historical novel set partially in contemporary Canada and partially in the court of King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. This story contains something for many readers: romance, a mystery, political intrigue and historical detail. It appears to be well researched, offering many details not demanded by the unfolding plot.

The book opens wit
Candace
May 12, 2012 Candace rated it liked it
Michele Kallio’s Betrayal is a haunting novel based both in present day New Brunswick and in Sixteenth Century England. Modern day Lydia is an intelligent, kind, and beautiful woman that leads a great life with her Physician boyfriend. Raised by her cold father, Lydia never knew her mother or her mother’s family. After her father’s untimely death Lydia begins having nightmares that seem all too realistic. In her dreams, Lydia finds herself in the body of Elisabeth, a lady’s maid to Lady Anne Bol ...more
Melysah Bunting
Sep 18, 2012 Melysah Bunting rated it it was amazing
Betrayal by Michele Kallio is a historical fiction novel. It revolves around a modern day couple, Lydia and Dan, and Elisabeth Beeton, a servant at the Court of King Henry VIII. Lydia is having reoccurring nightmares that she just can't explain. And they are literally destroying her life.

Lydia and Dan are fighting all of the time. Lydia barely gets any restful sleep. She is at her wits end. So Dan recommends getting help. Alan does some regression techniques and things start to unfold.

As more is
Judy
Sep 26, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
Recommended to Judy by: Goodreads
Christoph Fischer
“Betrayal” by Michele Kallio is a clever blend of historical fiction and fantasy that starts out in contemporary Canada. Lydia experiences some haunting dreams that take her back to Tudor England. She is fighting the disturbance to her life and trying to figure out the meaning of those dreams while in her dreams / the past she witnesses some historic moments and discovers a secret – which may or may not be true.
In the past story line we connect with Elisabeth Benton, servant to Queen Anne Boleyn
Leila Summers
Sep 24, 2011 Leila Summers rated it it was amazing
Although historical novels are not my usual genre of choice, I found myself fully engaged in this book from the first page! The chapters shift between the mysterious interconnected lives of two women, centuries apart, and their love affairs. The book contains history, mystery and romance and I was impressed with the author’s writing ability as well as her knack of clearly moving between the two parallel stories. I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. I also became fascinated with Tudor histo ...more
J R
Sep 05, 2013 J R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read both versions of this book, and this review is based on the REVISED edition, which I found to be a great improvement over the earlier version.

This historically accurate time twist book is an exciting look at deception, intrigue and betrayal in Tudor England.

It follows the story of a modern day Canadian woman, who suffers terrible nightmares linking her to Tudor England. These nightmares set her on a journey across the ocean, and time to solve a mystery that is generations old!

I wo
Germaine Chevarie
Sep 26, 2011 Germaine Chevarie rated it really liked it
Although I am not a Historical Fiction reader, I absolutly enjoyed reading this book. It was well reserched and well written.If I could have changed anything about it , it would have been the last chapter when Dan and Christine got together. As far as Lydia and Allan, I could see it coming from the time they first met.
Another concern is that it should be rated "Adult reading" because it is not suitable for children under at least 16. But then, it could just be my upbringing coming through. I'm
Kara
Dec 03, 2014 Kara rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. This reads like it was written by a middle schooler. The characters are schizophrenic, bouncing from emotion to changing emotion. The author also can't keep track of her characters. In several scenes she describes Lydia as having long legs (same description she uses on 3 other characters too) and then in another scene describes Lydia as 5'2. Ummm- that's short. Where did the long legs go?
Very basic historical facts are outright wrong, Anne Boleyn h
Margaret
This is Michele Kallio's debut, and I won't say how much I love debuts, but I do. Also I love the cover, it has that mysterious feel with the castle in the background and a mystery package all bundled up.

Betrayal is historical, it's mysterious with the supernatural mixed in, along with romance. But it isn't overboard in the romance department in a way that usually turns me off.

A fast paced story that switches between present day Canada and 16th century England, in the court of Henry VIII. I fou
Rebecca
Mar 18, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
I received this book free with the understanding that I would review the book.

Betrayal is a novel based both in present day New Brunswick and in Sixteenth Century England. The main character is named Lydia who is experiencing nightmares/dreams that quickly become waking dreams that is beginning to cause Lydia mental anguish and beginning to impact negatively on her relationship. As the story unfolds the reader begins to understand that Lydia is “dreaming” of Elizabeth, whom we later find out to
Stuart MacAllister
Betrayal by Michele Kallio

Novels surrounding the lives of Henry VIII and his six wives are plentiful and, dare I say it, predictable and rather monotonous. It takes something special to pique my interest in this particular historical period and Michele Kallio has delivered in spades. Using a unique and complex time-slip element, Michele has created a truly ground-breaking novel in this sub-set genre of historical fiction which is saturated with poor quality, repetitive stories.

The story unfolds
Heather
Sep 30, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Betrayal by Michele F. Kallio is a delightful book. When I get a book to read I usually read the back or inside cover for a hint of what is in store for me. This time I did not do that, so I never knew what was ahead for me. I was not disappointed.
Lydia Hamilton is a terrific character. She is someone that you can believe in. She has a job, a physician boyfriend and a normal life. Lydia does though have vivid dreams that she can never seem to get away from, they even start to come to life while
InD'tale Magazine
“Betrayal” is a serpentine mystery, as it describes the intertwining of the lives of Lydia and Elisabeth.

Read full review in the 2014 February issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Apparently, there is going to be a sequel. Which of course I will have to read. But I do wish she just wrapped it up.
The characters kind of annoyed me as they had no historical knowledge at all. At the end, one character says 'why don't we look up George on the internet'. Why didn't you do that at the beginning?
Also, I found the plot very similar to Lady of Hay.
This book would be great for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the Tudors.
I enjoyed it as fluff, but my main reaction was eh?
Leslie
This book needs some serious proofreading, and careful editing. (People 'pour' over texts, and one 5-page section appears in two different chapters.) The ending is very abrupt and unsatisfying. I will read anything about Anne Boleyn, and having finished this proves it, but I cannot recommend it to even the most avid historical fiction reader.

Heidi
Good book, not what I would call a page turner. When I started the book I was excited but I soon developed an intense dislike of a couple of the characters which for me made finishing the book difficult.
Indiebrag
Jul 13, 2012 Indiebrag rated it it was amazing
Betrayal is a 2012 B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree which mean this wonderful historical mystery is well worth a readers time and money!
Kristie
Apr 26, 2014 Kristie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise and keeps a reader's attention.
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Like Chaff in the Wind (The Graham Saga #2)
  • The Anne Boleyn Collection II
  • The Half-Hanged Man (The Half-Hanged Man, #1-3)
  • At Road's End (Pre-Aztec series, Prequel)
  • Had the Queen Lived: An Alternative History of Anne Boleyn
  • Sons of the Wolf
  • The Kiss of the Concubine: A story of Anne Boleyn
  • From This Day Forward
  • Inside the Wardrobe of Anne Boleyn
  • Buried Pasts
  • To the Fair Land
  • The Fifth Knight (The Fifth Knight, #1)
  • Pirate Code (Sea Witch Voyages, #2)
  • The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr (Ladies in Waiting #2)
  • The Grave Blogger
  • Anne Boleyn: In Her Own Words & the Words of Those Who Knew Her
  • In the Footsteps of Anne Boleyn
  • Rome: The Art of  War (Rome, #4)