Start by marking “Harry Potter and History” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and History
Preview

Harry Potter and History (Wiley Pop Culture and History)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  1,764 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A guide to the history behind the world of Harry Potter--just in time for the last Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the "Deathly Hallows" (Part II)Harry Potter lives in a world that is both magical and historical. Hogwarts pupils ride an old-fashioned steam train to school, notes are taken on parchment with quill pens, and Muggle legends come to life in the form of wer ...more
Published April 18th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published April 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry Potter and History

Kara
It’s an interesting book, and I learned a few things, like where the term “hocus pocus” comes from, and learned more about things such as Nicolas Flemmel (you can visit his house!), the compare/contrast with Nazis and Death Eaters,

There's also good background on how Hogwarts both does and doesn't reflect the British educational system, and I learned some really fascinating examinations of not just which languages spells and nouns in the books come from, but what the language choices mean in a h
Erin Ashley
I don't have a huge spiel to write about with this book. To be honest, I didn't read every single page, I skimmed through it to parts that I thought sounded more interesting to others.

I love history, I really do, but sometimes it can drag on a bit. Even with this book comparing history to the history that is Harry Potter, it sounded like it did go on a bit. There were some great parts in it though. I loved the comparisons to Voldemort and the Death Eaters being German Natzi's.

What I liked the
Kate
Usually I love critical essays that center around the Harry Potter books. However, this one was not very well written. It seemed to me like all of the essays were written by college students... that kind of style. It was also difficult to follow at times because all of the essayists would use "Muggles" like they were witches and wizards writing about our world. That was a bit distracting. I also feel like I didn't learn a lot of new information about the series and its relationship to history. P ...more
Leslie
A collection of fascinating (to a greater or lesser degree) essays relating the world of Harry Potter to the history of the Muggle world. Some of the subjects covered include the history of books ("Beastly Books and Quick-Quills"), real-world parallels to Death Eater ideology ("Was Voldemort a Nazi?" and "Of Marranos and Mudbloods"), the development of the English parliamentary system compared to the wizarding world's Ministry of Magic ("Magic is Might") and the actual practice of history, inclu ...more
Sammi
What I learned from this book:

Grindelwald is just as much of a Nazi as Voldemort.
It's better to be a witch in the Wizarding world than a woman in the Muggle world.
The British method of schooling is SO messed up.
The Ministry of Magic, were it a Muggle government, would be one of the most corrupt governments in the world.
Class conflict fuels everything. EVERYTHING.
Fenrir Greyback's lycanthropism is akin to pedophilia, whereas Lupin's is akin to HIV.
While the Harry Potter series is first and foremo
Melody
Some of the essays were a stretch in terms of making relevant connections to the HP series, and a couple of times the authors seemed tripped up on small HP details. At least one of the essays seemed confused on whether we were pretending the HP world was real for this work and comparing "magic" and "muggle" history. It was overall good fun. I enjoy looking at things like history and philosophy through a pop culture lens.
Emily
This book was pretty interesting and not really what I expected. It was actually pretty scholarly and not silly like I thought it might be. My favorite chapter was that on the ancient languages behind the spells in the Harry Potter series. I am such a NERD for etymology, so I really enjoyed learning more about the history behind the spells in the series.
Will
Interesting collection of essays on aspects of Muggle culture reflected in the books. Naturally, there is much attention to historical "magic" (including reminders that what Everybody Knows about the witchcraft panic being exclusively a War On Women is just not true). But we also read about Harry Potter and the British Class System, and the background of the "public schools" (which finally explained to me what Despard and Margaret meant about "rule a National school".) And I didn't expect the Sp ...more
Carla
I'm kind of conflicted with this book. I liked the idea of taking history and putting it in a way that is more accessible to people who might not normally read a history book. However, this book was written as a series of articles, and these articles were written in a style that reminds me of formal articles that professionals write for each other. I think there were parts that were really interesting, but there were also parts that I thought were boring. It was a good concept, but not executed ...more
Penny Cipolone
A nice addition to the Potterverse. Since each essay is written by a different author, the interest level varies. This is an excellent book if you are interested in the United Kingdom and the sources from which Rowling may have derived her content. It can be a bit confusing as the authors sometimes switch abruptly from the Muggle to the Magical world and back again. Overall a good read for a true Harry Potter fan.
Robert Watson
This book is extremely well written and organized. Nancy put a lot of effort into her research and has produced a perfect study between everyone's favourite boy wizard and history.

Definitely worth reading! When I bought the book and started reading, I couldn't put it down!
Reivax Elocin
Ok I'm going to put this same comment for every one of my Harry potter book reviews.Simply awesome.Fucking good.Epic!Amazing!SupercalifragilisticexpialidociousMeh i probably spelt that wrong..
Joseph
The quality of the essays collected here vary greatly. At no point does a single author really offer new or drastic interpretations of the material, but at the least they are starting points for fans to delve deeper into the anthropological and historical sources.
Ashley Marie
I liked it. Interesting. But I have to read essays in bits and spurts.
Sarah Taylor
This book was written as a collection of articles by various authors, and because of this the writing is a little uneven. However, I enjoyed reading this overall for the various insights provided into both history and the Harry Potter series. Lots of cool information and "who knew?" moments while reading this.
Anie
This was really a great book. Obviously, it fulfills the Harry Potter fangirl inside of me---but it also makes my Ravenclaw self very happy. There's certainly critical discussion of the HP series in here, but there's also a lot of discussion of related history, such as the histories of magic and witchcraft, and made wonderfully, highly accessible (very little jargon and a lot of careful explanation of concepts that non-historians might not be as familiar with). If you're an HP fan with a history ...more
I've only reached the first official page and already found an error. In the timeline before the introduction something very big popped out at me as being wrong. If Albus Dumbledore was born in 1888, then I'm sorry but he would not be FINISHING at Hogwarts in 1899 as he would only have been 11 years old and would therefore only have been just starting. As such, he hadn't met Grindewald yet and his sister was still alive. After getting past that glaring inaccuracy, I can now actually get on with ...more
Anna Smithberger
Has some really great essays, but about on par as far as all the HP history books I've read.
Alli
This was an interesting book, I really enjoyed how the various authors looked at the historical events that may have influenced JK Rowling's writing of the Harry Potter series. I only give it 4 stars mostly because of the writing styles, there were certain things various authors did that annoyed me, but over all, it gave an interesting historical and British cultural perspective on the series.
Jann
This is an enjoyable and informative read for anyone who likes Harry Potter. The book compares and contrasts aspects of the Potterverse with historical facts and the importance thereof according to Nancy R. Reagin and her colleagues. I especially liked the chapters on Magic vs Muggle government and Magic vs Muggle women. Recommend 16+ - probably to difficult for younger kids.
Felix Hayman
An unexpectedly good read.Tracing the history of magic and witchcraft with some deft Potter allusions this book looks at the rather good research JK Rowling put into her books.But dont expect a HarryPotterthon of information because it isn't there.Part of the popular culture and history series this book is a serious look at the magic in British history
Shenek
I can't rate this book because I didn't read it all. I picked it up because I am fascinated with people and their literature obsessions. I perused it during lunch one day and found it reads just like a history book. So interesting that such a big (mmhmmm dry) book could be written about a fictional character. And not only written but read.
Allison
I loved the comparisons between the world of Harry Potter and the muggle world. It is obvious that many writers get inspiration from real word events, and HP is no different. I learned more about British and world history by reading this book. I especially liked the essays on the inquisition and history as we know and write it.
Such good insight into the comparison of the Potter series and actual events in history. There was discussion about the Spanish Inquistion and the Muggleborn registration committee in Deathly Hallows. Some things of history I read about which I hadn't ever made the parallels between except for the obvious ones.
Jonathan Evans
An interesting read. Some chapters are more engaging than others, and some incorporate much more of Harry Potter, while others focus more on magic in the "real" world. My favorite chapter, by far, was the one about the language which Rowling uses to craft spells.
Catherine
I'll echo what others have said in that the quality of the essays varied, which made reading a chore sometimes. But the essays I liked were good enough to get a 4th star from me - and of course the subject matter!
Audrey-anne
Honestly boring. It barely talks about Harry Potter, it only takes elements mentioned in the books and then talks about their history and ''roots'' in the real world, mostly centuries ago. I didn't finish it.
Katherine
I WANTED to like this book, but I'm just not a fan. Didn't even make myself finish reading it once I gave it a couple shots. Life's too short to waste time on things you don't need or enjoy.
  • Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Fact, Fiction, and Folklore in Harry Potter's World: An Unofficial Guide
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
  • Reading Harry Potter: Critical Essays
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter: Perspectives on a Literary Phenomenon

Wiley Pop Culture and History (3 books)
  • Twilight and History
  • Star Trek and History
Twilight and History Star Wars and History Star Trek and History The Hobbit and History: [The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Movie Tie-In]