Start by marking “Operation: Outer Space” as Want to Read:
Operation: Outer Space

Read Book* *Different edition

Operation: Outer Space

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Jed Cochrane -- sophisticate in a world grown too crowded to breathe, newsman, interviewer, television personality -- begins this tale when he's sent on a wild goose chase (literally, to the moon) after the wayward son of one of his network's principals. But the path he follows will lead him to the stars -- and beyond them *

Murray Leinster published more than fifteen hundr
Published 2006 by Alan Rodgers Books (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Operation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation

Julie Davis
Prompted by my enjoyment of the Murray Leinster Collection, I went searching for another likely Leinster book to try. I vaguely recalled Mark Douglas Nelson running Operation: Outer Space at SciPodCast before it went to live at LibriVox. I'd give this 3-1/2 stars if it were possible. It just doesn't have the oomph to take it to 4 stars.
Jed Cochrane is about to take off on man’s first interstellar voyage. His mission: Make sure it’s good television!

"A fast-paced, sardonic job that is primarily a
John Adkins
Apr 08, 2015 John Adkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I read this as part of the "Startling Stories" Spring 2009 magazine. The magazine combines new and classic material and in this issue features Operation: Outer Space.

In this short novel Leinster follows the somewhat coincidental development of interstellar space travel as an unplanned side effect of the psychiatric treatment of a wealthy scientist with self-concept issues.

The overcrowded Earth portrayed in the novel is one where individuals have little hope of advancement and Leinster does an ex
Rich Brown
Jun 16, 2014 Rich Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was part of my birth year challenge. While reading, I kept in mind that it was written in 1954. It was such a fun read! Part Twilight Zone and part Dick Van Dyke! The "science" is crazy and the mis-matched group that make up the ship's crew are great. I'll be laughing for days.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

FASTER THAN LIGHT!

"But what can be done with it?" asked Cochrane practically.

"Nothing," said Jones succinctly. "It changes the properties of space, but that's all. Can you think of any use for a faster-than-light radiation-pipe? I can't."

Cochrane cocked an eye at Jamison, who could extrapolate at the drop of an equation. But Jamison shook his head.

"Communication between planets," he said morosely, "when we get to them. Chats between sweethearts on Earth and Pluto. Broadcasts to the star

Kimbolimbo
Jul 13, 2011 Kimbolimbo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Not my favorite space book. There was something I liked...let me think...what was it...oh, the one time that the male chauvinist had a moment of clarity and he said he finally had a woman's viewpoint and he liked it because women look farther into the future than men. The scientific reasoning in this book about how to know if a planet was safe and what foods were edible was rather simplistic, I found it refreshing. But the whole book was rather boring and to fantastical. Funny that the reason sp ...more
David
Dec 28, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, own
A scathing satire on the media, advertising and psychiatric community of the early 1950's. One dimensional archetypical characters represent the shallowness of mass media and the idle rich. On the Earth of the future, cities are overcrowded and the elite have nothing to do but buy fame from people who really do the work. A faster than light drive is invented and Jed Cochrane, a television producer, seizes the chance to change the course of history and free the people who are willing to work for ...more
John
Feb 21, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
1981 grade B-
Diane
Mar 08, 2014 Diane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I love Mark Douglas Nelson as narrator, unfortunately his made for sci voice couldn't lift this story from it's disheveled state.
Nick
Jan 02, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Looks promising. Murray Leinster seldom disappoints. I found it here - http://www.gutenberg.org/1/8/3/6/18361 - It lived up to its promise, he doesn't telegraph his moves and it jumps in several unexpected directions. Its a pity he doesn't do the relationship side of the story justice. His books could be much richer if we had access to just a little more of the protagonists emotional life and thought processes.
Jan
Jun 09, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a very fun read if you love the old pulp sci-fi from the 50's. It's fairly light on technology, but the way it uses it is believable. Characters are very pulp-fiction and stereotypical, which is fine in the context of the story. It's a great book and is also available as an e-book.
JodiP
Aug 20, 2012 JodiP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Patrick Di Justo
Feb 05, 2016 Patrick Di Justo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
More of a satire on the television industry than a space opera. A TV ad exec meets an engineer who developed spacewarp technology, and creates a reality show about traveling through the galaxy. Very funny.
Ralph McEwen
Jul 08, 2012 Ralph McEwen rated it liked it
Sometime even a very good narrator can not bring a mediocre story to life.
bluetyson
Operation: Outer Space by Murray Leinster (2000)
Bob Shingler
Bob Shingler marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
John Speelman
John Speelman rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Tony Whitehead
Tony Whitehead rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Gavin Histen
Gavin Histen marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
JOHN PRESSER
JOHN PRESSER rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Emil
Emil rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
MB Taylor
MB Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
KenN
KenN rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Frederick Carl
Frederick Carl rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015