Start by marking “Einstein v Berlíně” as Want to Read:
Einstein v Berlíně

Einstein v Berlíně

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Pozoruhodné vyprávění o významné epoše života slavného fyzika je zároveň vynikající historickou sondou do poměrů v meziválečné Evropě.
Published 2004 by Práh (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Einstein v Berlíně, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Einstein v Berlíně

Andrew
Einstein in Berlin was an interesting read. It was a good mixture of biography, science, and history. The author did a nice job of making the science approachable for a layman such as myself. Although someone with more technical experience may have criticisms that I could not pick-up. The author did a good job of exploring the history and culture that surrounded Einstein during his greatest scientific triumphs. And, as my brother-in-law observed, the book gave interesting insights into Germany’s ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Seems like I good book but I got distracted by other things (shiny fiction mostly). Admittedly it was slightly depressing to read about Einstein's, well, failures at relating to other humans, mostly women. I'd consider resuming this book at some other time, though.
Din
Quite a summation of Einstein's early life, theoretical physics, WW I, the Weimar republic, the rise of Nazism, Zionism and Nobel prizes! Excellent distillation of history and biography.
James
Read as background for Berlin Literaryscape class at U of Chicago Basic Program. In 1913, fellow scientists Max Planck and Walther Nernst invited Einstein to join the faculty of the University of Berlin and to accept election to the elite Prussian Academy of Science. At 34, he had already changed the face of physics with his theory of special relativity. Plank and Nernst offered him an opportunity to work in the company of his scientific peers, with “no teaching obligations whatsoever [and] the ...more
Charlie
Einstein in Berlin is an ambitious book portraying a place and time in history as well as highlighting a person who tried to affected that place and time. Einstein's physics changed Berlin and the world yet his social activism could not open the eyes of his fellow Berliners or the world.

Thomas Levenson expertly weaves both the politics of the day and an individual. I grew to see why Einstein was such an important person of his day. The same man who revolutionized physics saw what Germany could b
Antonio Toledo
Livro muito interessante. Além de contar sobre a história de um dos grandes gênios da humanidade, faz uma excelente contextualização histórica e permite uma visão da Alemanha no período entre as guerras mundiais.
Yvonne
This book gives you a good history for Germany from just before WWI though the rise of Hitler. Einstein's story gives a good look at Einstein the man, the scientist and an explanation of his theories.
John
A good book which but Einstein's life in the context of the changing fortunes of interwar Berlin
Jonnie Enloe
It is hard to critize the writer or his style due to the subject matter. I suppose I have read all of this information before at least once. Einstein is put in a unique position due to the Nazi party and the politics of the day. Coupled with his personal failures he still manages to emerge as a giant historical figure. I am an Einstein fan in any case, even given his quirks. It seems as though he is a reluctant participant one minute and a glory seeker the next. I believe this comes from being f ...more
Thomas Bach
Although a well written book, Levenson relies on outdated and unconvincing discussions of German "character," the origins of WWI, and, what is worse, seems not understand the origin, course, and meaning of the German revolution or Weimar more generally. In addition, his discussion of Einstein adds little what was already known, and his description of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, Gravity, and ideas is obscure when not being banal. All this is unfortunate.
Fieroula
Even though I don't like historical books and I am fairly good in theoretical physics, this book attracted me due to the historical facts and the approachable physics concepts. Strange? Might be, but Levenson did a very good job in putting Einstein's most productive years in the historical context of the Middle-War Berlin providing the reflections that the one had to the other. Great book in general...
Mcgyver5
one of the most valuable passages was not even about Einstein:
[about Hitler]: "'The German people', he said were ' made up of children, for only a childish people would accept million-mark bills.' It was a demagogue's trick and an effective one, for ultimately children must be blameless. The fault lies with the grown-ups who allow them to come to harm."

Pavel Miksa
Čekal jsem, že se kniha bude více věnovat Einsteinovi během jeho života v Německu. Obsahuje spoustu informací o dvou světových válkách a okolní politické situaci, že jsem knihu ani neměl chuť dočíst.
Rick Smith
This was pretty darn good. Just the right mix of physics and Einstein's personal flaws. I think I enjoyed it more than Isaacson's biography too.
Mike Lundgren
Focused on Einstein's years in Berlin and the world events thatshape the man... and in turn how he shapes world events.
Paul
incredibly rich and deep account of a not so good time for Einstein.
Laura Quilter
Einstein in Berlin by Thomas. Levenson (2003)
Onni Stone
Onni Stone marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Camille Tesch
Camille Tesch marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Stanford Lamberg
Stanford Lamberg marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Dodecahedron
Dodecahedron marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Fabio Binder
Fabio Binder marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Newton and the Counterfeiter: The Unknown Detective Career of the World's Greatest Scientist Measure for Measure: A Musical History of Science Ice Time: Climate, Science, and Life on Earth The Chess Player Mystery of the Senses: A Nova Miniseries