Start by marking “Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View” as Want to Read:
Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View

Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View

This book presents a wealth of vital information for people seeking greater understanding of the peoples of the world and the beliefs that motivate them.
Published January 1st 1997 by Brigham Young University Press (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Religions of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religions of the World

Kc
Jul 09, 2013 Kc rated it really liked it
I like seeing the commonalities between my religion and others. BUT I still think if we really want to know about other religions we should read their texts and talk to disciples. Because I would rather someone read the Book of Mormon and talk to me than read a summary of my beliefs written by someone not of my faith.
Samuel
Dec 30, 2012 Samuel rated it really liked it
Although by no means exhaustive or overwhelmingly extensive, this Institute manual does give an interesting survey of the "major" (or at least "influential") religions of the world. I would recommend this as a useful starting point for understanding the diversity of religions in the world. Having served a two-year mission in Malaysia and Singapore, I can testify that there are many, many different types of religions as well as interpretations/ways to practice them. I wish I had read this book be ...more
Bubba
Dec 20, 2009 Bubba rated it liked it
As the foreword says, there are plenty of good general books on world religions, so this one's main purpose is to place Mormonism (a term I don't particularly care for) in the context of other faiths. Each chapter covers a major tradition (Sikhism, Buddhism, Shinto, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Jainism, Taoism and Zoroastrianism), goes over it's basics, as well as the role of women and family life in it, and compares it to LDS parctice/belief. It's good for any Mormon wh ...more
Emily O.
Nov 30, 2016 Emily O. rated it it was amazing
This book is a great overview of the major world religions. It discusses their history, practices, beliefs, and even has a small section devoted to similarities between the LDS faiths and these faiths. There is so much to learn from other religions, and this book motivated me to study more. This was for a world religions course I was taking. Now, having had a good overview, I will dive deeper into the religions in particularly interested in, read their texts, and try to further my understanding ...more
David
May 06, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
For a textbook, this is a delightful read. It helps if you're a latter-day saint (I am), because this is an exploration of the similarities between world religions and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

What makes this book really great is that it actually applies positive aspects of all the religions discussed. It does NOT rip them to shreds, discrediting the religion and its followers. Rather, it demonstrates the truths found in the religion, and how it has helped its adherents.
Ginger
Jan 28, 2010 Ginger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, who loves and wants to understand his neighbor.
Recommended to Ginger by: Emily Hollingshead
Shelves: reading-in-2010
My daughter suggested a few years ago that I read this book. It lay on my shelf for months untouched until last winter. I read it with a couple young men nearing missionary age. What I thought would be interesting was beyond fascinating. In this day and age it is good to understand and respect our neighbors, if we are to remain strong in our own faith. This book delivers an unbiased positive view of God's children who are not of our faith.
Q
Sep 03, 2013 Q rated it it was amazing
This was on my currently reading shelf for so long because I ended up skipping two chapters in the middle and I didn't want to mark it read until I'd finished those. Then I only had time to read one of the two. So I still need to read the chapter on Buddhism.

This is a fantastic resource, though, for any LDS person who wants to better understand world religions.
Aaron
Apr 15, 2013 Aaron rated it liked it
A decent book, but I have a feeling I would have really enjoyed the updated version. I'm not very knowledgeable about eastern religions, but even I could tell some of the things this book said were pretty dated.
April
Apr 08, 2013 April rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-religion
It was OK for a textbook. The bits about Christianity clarified some things for me. The parts about Hinduism and other religions like that one were challenging for me to get through-- brutal in fact. It was difficult to see the point in it all.
Jefferson Coombs
Apr 01, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
This is a fantastic book and one I think should be read by everyone. I loved this class. When I taught high school geography I referred to this book often to help my students understand other religions.
Amanda
Jan 09, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious-books
This is a book that must be read slowly. It is rather dry (all textbooks are), but well worth the effort. I especially enjoyed how the book tied certain aspects of each religion to Mormonism. It made the reading/understanding a lot easier.
Shelli
Sep 29, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-religions
A very good overview of each of the major world religions from the LDS perspective. I used this book in the Institute class I taught back in 2003-04.
Pam
Jul 01, 2009 Pam rated it it was amazing
Concise, accurate, enlightening
Bridget
May 26, 2008 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I used this book for World Religions at BYU. My 2nd cousin, Roger Keller, was a professor of religion at BYU and co-authored this book!
Annamarie
Dec 11, 2008 Annamarie rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, world
I've read through the four religions that began in the Middle East -- still have two thirds to go. Facinating. I will get back to it later.
Christine Roach
Oct 12, 2010 Christine Roach rated it it was amazing
Very informative and I loved how it showed the similarities of my religion to other religions.
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2012
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2009
Joy Sterrantino
Joy Sterrantino rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2008
Hannah Russell
Hannah Russell rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2010
Brittany Hodson
Brittany Hodson rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Breanna
Breanna rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
May 04, 2008
Pat Rood
Pat Rood rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2017
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2008
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2009
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
May 01, 2011
Kc
Kc rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Old Testament Student Manual: 1 Kings - Malachi
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • The Third Thousand Years