Start by marking “Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View” as Want to Read:
Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View

Religions of the World: A Latter-Day Saint View

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This book presents a wealth of vital information for people seeking greater understanding of the peoples of the world and the beliefs that motivate them.
Published January 1st 1997 by Brigham Young University Press (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Religions of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religions of the World

Kc
I like seeing the commonalities between my religion and others. BUT I still think if we really want to know about other religions we should read their texts and talk to disciples. Because I would rather someone read the Book of Mormon and talk to me than read a summary of my beliefs written by someone not of my faith.
Samuel
Although by no means exhaustive or overwhelmingly extensive, this Institute manual does give an interesting survey of the "major" (or at least "influential") religions of the world. I would recommend this as a useful starting point for understanding the diversity of religions in the world. Having served a two-year mission in Malaysia and Singapore, I can testify that there are many, many different types of religions as well as interpretations/ways to practice them. I wish I had read this book be ...more
Bubba
As the foreword says, there are plenty of good general books on world religions, so this one's main purpose is to place Mormonism (a term I don't particularly care for) in the context of other faiths. Each chapter covers a major tradition (Sikhism, Buddhism, Shinto, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Jainism, Taoism and Zoroastrianism), goes over it's basics, as well as the role of women and family life in it, and compares it to LDS parctice/belief. It's good for any Mormon wh ...more
David
For a textbook, this is a delightful read. It helps if you're a latter-day saint (I am), because this is an exploration of the similarities between world religions and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

What makes this book really great is that it actually applies positive aspects of all the religions discussed. It does NOT rip them to shreds, discrediting the religion and its followers. Rather, it demonstrates the truths found in the religion, and how it has helped its adherents.
Ginger
Jan 28, 2010 Ginger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, who loves and wants to understand his neighbor.
Recommended to Ginger by: Emily Hollingshead
Shelves: reading-in-2010
My daughter suggested a few years ago that I read this book. It lay on my shelf for months untouched until last winter. I read it with a couple young men nearing missionary age. What I thought would be interesting was beyond fascinating. In this day and age it is good to understand and respect our neighbors, if we are to remain strong in our own faith. This book delivers an unbiased positive view of God's children who are not of our faith.
Q
This was on my currently reading shelf for so long because I ended up skipping two chapters in the middle and I didn't want to mark it read until I'd finished those. Then I only had time to read one of the two. So I still need to read the chapter on Buddhism.

This is a fantastic resource, though, for any LDS person who wants to better understand world religions.
Amanda
This is a book that must be read slowly. It is rather dry (all textbooks are), but well worth the effort. I especially enjoyed how the book tied certain aspects of each religion to Mormonism. It made the reading/understanding a lot easier.
April
It was OK for a textbook. The bits about Christianity clarified some things for me. The parts about Hinduism and other religions like that one were challenging for me to get through-- brutal in fact. It was difficult to see the point in it all.
Aaron
A decent book, but I have a feeling I would have really enjoyed the updated version. I'm not very knowledgeable about eastern religions, but even I could tell some of the things this book said were pretty dated.
Shelli
A very good overview of each of the major world religions from the LDS perspective. I used this book in the Institute class I taught back in 2003-04.
Annamarie
I've read through the four religions that began in the Middle East -- still have two thirds to go. Facinating. I will get back to it later.
Bridget
I used this book for World Religions at BYU. My 2nd cousin, Roger Keller, was a professor of religion at BYU and co-authored this book!
Christine Roach
Very informative and I loved how it showed the similarities of my religion to other religions.
Pam
Concise, accurate, enlightening
Hanni
Very interesting book learned a lot
Ashley
Loved it! Very fascinating.
Darcy Beech
Darcy Beech marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Nathan Cunningham
Nathan Cunningham marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Agneta Liepājniece
Agneta Liepājniece marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Jonathan Claridge
Jonathan Claridge is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Brogan
Brogan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Colton Babcock
Colton Babcock marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Old Testament Student Manual: 1 Kings - Malachi
  • Putting on the Armor of God
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • The Third Thousand Years
  • Women of the Old Testament
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • The Great Apostasy
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
Mormons & Muslims: Spiritual Foundations and Modern Manifestations Deity and Death (Religious studies monograph series) Deity & death : selected symposium papers Mormons and Muslims: Spiritual Foundations and Modern Manifestations (Religious Studies Monograph Series Vol 8) Korea and Christianity--The Problem of Identification with Traditions