The King's Mistress

The King's Mistress

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"The long way home could be the shortest road to ruin. "

The king of Scotland is in a snit. Which means Britt MacKinnon, proud captain of the king s guard, has an onerous task: fetch Alexander s favorite paramour back to the royal bed "now." Never mind that the crown should be about the business of getting a legitimate heir. Especially since England s Edward I would love no...more
Published July 26th 2011 by Samhain Publishing

Sandy M
Well, as far as this reader is concerned, Kensington/Zebra made a huge blunder when they decided not to continue with Sandy Blair’s Castle Blackstone series a few years ago. Their loss is Samhain’s gain. I’m excited Ms. Blair’s books are back on the shelves, so to speak, this time around in ebook so more readers can enjoy her work. Instead of her humor-filled Scottish paranormal romances, we get a lovely story woven into and around the fabric of Scottish history.

Britt MacKinnon is King Alexander...more
Tara Chevrestt
Really like the heroine in this one. She's spunky and a go-getter and also strives to protect those she loves. The hero...nice to come across a strong, sexy knight that isn't establishing his dominance or manliness at every page. He's comfortable in his own skin and an overall good guy. The back and forth banter is fun. The writing itself really placed me back in time and the story is rich in history with fun facts thrown in.

I have some quibbles, however:

The prose was weird and hard to adjust to...more
Jaime
Review from www.FreshFiction.com

Britt MacKinnon must follow the orders of his King even if he does not like it. When he is told to fetch the King’s favorite mistress from her family home, Britt makes the journey even though he knows the King’s time is best spent in the bed of his new wife. The person he finds at the small farm looks like the beautiful paramour but acts like a different person entirely. It doesn't take him long to discover that his initial suspicion was correct.

Geneen Armstrong...more
Marilyn Rondeau
Scotland’s King Alexander has sent Britt MacKinnon, his captain of the guard, to fetch Greer Armstrong, his sovereigns’ favorite mistress to continue to appease his insatiable sexual appetite, which by rights he should be participating in with his queen so that Scotland would soon have a legal heir to the throne. But being the stalwart soldier he was, Britt found himself galloping across country toward a woman he never liked during the time she spent at the castle.

At the same time, Geneen, Greer...more
Suzanne
We've waited a long time for the next Scottish Historical by Sandy Blair and the result has well been worth the wait!

THE KING'S MISTRESS is classic Blair story-telling at its finest. She transports the reader back to a time in Scottish history full of intrigue and danger. The hero, Britt MacKinnon is Blair's trademark sexy, strong and very honorable Scottsman trying to keep his country from blowing apart under the machinations of other lairds and the king himself. When he's sent to fetch the ki...more
Cindy
Apr 04, 2012 Cindy marked it as to-read
This book is not out yet but i have enjoyed some of the authors books before and i love time traveling Scot's though this book is not in the line of time travel because i know her writing i am sure that it will be wonderful
Rustye
Thoroughly enjoyed this book - the characters, the story and everything else about it. I will be looking for more books from Ms. Blair.
Emily
Wonderful read.
Raelene
The King's Mistress by Sandra Blair

I was fortunate to meet the author, and obtain a signed copy of this book. Sandy Blair is known for her Scottish romance novels with paranormal elements, and let us not forget her keen wit. I found this story to be very different; this story takes us deep into Scottish history and is a fast paced adventure, with amazing plot twists.

Britt MacKinnon is King Alexander’s captain of the guard and is fetching Greer Armstrong, King Alexander’s favorite paramour back t...more
Beverly Diehl
Identical twins, mistaken identity. Men in kilts. Secret baby.

If you're like me, you have had it up to your neck with these tropes, and think about passing. Don't. This is an excellent book.

Greer Armstrong has been the mistress of the King of Scots. Following a lovers' quarrel, she's returned to the village home she shares with her sister Geneen. She's pregnant, but although some courtiers suspect she might be, nobody knows for sure.

Problem: King Alexander's Queen, Yolanda, has not yet given bir...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

This story is an interesting mix of honor and lust. Britt MacKinnon starts by trying to make the king honor his marriage vows (at least until there’s an heir) when the king prefers to give into lust. Britt is sent to fetch the king’s favorite mistress, Lady Greer Armstrong.

Greer has already giving into lust. Now she and sister Genny are trying to do the safe, yet dishonorable (or is it honorable?) thing of keeping the king from findi...more
Leah
I had been wanting to read this for a long time and haven't been let down in the reading. Britt MacKinnon goes to fetch the king's mistress only to find he's taken the wrong woman. He's taken her twin whom he finds captivating.

Geneen has taken the place of her twin sister, who is pregnant with the king's child and gone into hiding, to prove to the court that there is no child which will take her sister and the child out of harms way. She has never believed in love but finds herself questioning...more
Alisa Jenkins
I was really taken with this story. I mean whats not to like when a handsome soldier comes to retrive the King's mistress back to court only to discover that he has grabbed her twin instead!
They may look alike, but once you are around Geneen for more than five minutes, you know she is not Greer (the King's Mistress). As Britt continues to take Geneen to court he falls for her, as much as he disliked her sister and Geneen falls in love with him.
So this story takes on a journey of love, betrayal,...more
Sam
This was a good, light read for someone who doesn't read much fiction. Since it is based on real historical figures and events, the artistic license used in 'filling in' the back story we may never really know was creative and compelling. The characters are developed nicely and the story, though somewhat predictable, is a good one. Interestingly written with sprinklings of Celtic and Gaelic, so the language lesson was also enjoyable ~ learning new words is always a pleasure, especially when they...more
Melissa
I enjoyed Genny's accent and the story between the brave heroine and the imperfect hero. Mostly, it's the way Sandy Blair tells the story. Her writing is poetic and flows, making it an enjoyable read.
Bonnie
fantastic book Have you watched the great Trailer?

Amanda
Jun 05, 2012 Amanda marked it as to-read
I love Sandy Blair's books and I'm really excited to read her new one! British Historicals are my favorite and she writes the best! :)
Phoenix Carvelli
Jun 04, 2012 Phoenix Carvelli marked it as to-read
I want to read The King's Mistress in the near future. It sounds like a good read!
Rachel King
Jun 04, 2012 Rachel King marked it as to-read
“I can’t wait to read Sandy Blair’s new release, The King’s Mistress.”
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Undecided about rating. 2 stars for now
Allyson
Jun 07, 2012 Allyson marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read this one!
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Mandy
Mandy added it
Mar 27, 2014
Maryellen Kunkel
Maryellen Kunkel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Dola
Dola marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Felicidad
Felicidad marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Sherrill
Sherrill marked it as to-read
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The King's Mistress by Sandy Blair 3 13 Jun 10, 2012 09:07AM
The King 3 3 May 29, 2012 11:08AM
New novel by Sandy Blair 1 1 Apr 11, 2012 07:43PM
Love brawny men in Kilts? 1 1 Mar 30, 2012 02:30PM

Award winning author Sandy Blair has slept in castles, knelt in cathedrals where kings and queens have been crowned, dined with peerage, floated along Venetian canals, explored the great pyramids, misplaced her husband in an Egyptian ruin (she continues to deny being the one...more
More about Sandy Blair...
A Man In A Kilt (Castle Blackstone, #1) A Highlander for Christmas A Rogue In A Kilt (Castle Blackstone, #2) A Thief In A Kilt (Castle Blackstone, #3) The Laird (Castle Blackstone, #4)