Start by marking “Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training” as Want to Read:
Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training

Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The bookshelves in your home no doubt contain volumes of books, manuals, seminar notes, magazine articles, and video and audio cassettes purporting to address parenting from a Christian point of view. With rare exception, however, most of today's Christian parenting resources fail to emphasize what is perhaps the most important aspect of true biblical parenting -- how to r ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Timeless Texts

To ask other readers questions about Teach Them Diligently, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Them Diligently

Randall Hartman
Jul 27, 2013 Randall Hartman rated it it was amazing
Our daughter and son-in-law gave us this book to help us understand their intentions and objectives in raising their children, our delightful grandchildren. :) Having read the content of this book and observing their child-rearing in action for nearly five years, I cannot overstate how highly I recommend this book. As a parent, grandparent, or anyone serious about living life conformed to Christ and helping others do the same, it is an outstanding resource, encouragement, and practical guide. It ...more
Ryan
Dec 03, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: god
Excellent parenting book, arranged around the four uses of the Bible from 2 Tim 3:16: teaching, conviction, correction, training in righteousness. Priolo encourages parents to view their kids from a spiritual perspective, instead of a pop psychology perspective.

Contains very practical method for introducing the word of God into your child's life, then helping them grow into a mature Christian. It addresses behavior, but by focusing on the heart of the matter instead of the outward symptoms.
Matt
Jan 20, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Christian parents
This is a pretty good book on parenting. I do appreciate his emphasis on making sure you are reaching the heart when parenting. He provides lots of thought-provoking questions to ask your kids when correcting them as well as trying to shepherd them.
Sometimes, he can be a little hard core when he lumps people into "psychobabble" molds. It is either pyschobabble or his, biblical camp. Or, at least this was the impression I got from some of his statements.
On a funny note, he is giving instruction o
Elise
Jul 29, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new and old parents, teachers, everyone I know
This book can feel overwhelming, but I feel I would have a much more difficult time of parenting if I didn't have this godly advice at my fingertips. The role of a Christian parent is a high calling-and I think Priolo does a great job at reminding parents that it is all a process of sanctification- for us before our children. We can't be diligent at teaching the scriptures if we don't know them. So he begins by addressing the parent.
He shows parents "how to relate the Bible to the disciplinary p
Betsy
May 09, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Another great parenting book! If you like Ginger Plowman's Don't Make Me Count to Three, you'll like this one, too. You can see Priolo's influence on her once you read his book. I was a teensy bit bothered by his gender-stereotypical examples (such as "you, women, when you're putting on your makeup in the mornings..." and "You men, when you do [something sports related]" partly because I rarely wear makeup, but his point was well made regardless). This book would be hard to break down for parent ...more
Rebecca Brandt
Jun 21, 2014 Rebecca Brandt rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that helps parents understand that only God can change the heart of a child or person. Lou Priolo does a great job in helping parents understand that God's word is the best way to share the truth about our world and for training children.

I highly recommend this for every parent.
Joshua
Jan 01, 2011 Joshua rated it it was amazing
What a great book for parents who are eager to teach their children not only from God's Word, but according to God's Word. The author takes the claims from 2 Timothy 3:16 and applies them to disciplining children. The chapters teach both what is and how to implement: Biblical teaching, Biblical reproof, Biblical correction, and Biblical training in righteousness. It also has very helpful appendices for finding and using verses for specific sinful patterns. I've read a couple of parenting books, ...more
Peter Krol
Jul 20, 2009 Peter Krol rated it really liked it
This book was very challenging, but helpful. The Scriptures should be central in our parenting. Priolo challenged me to know Scripture well enough that I can give a verse or passage for anything I tell my children to do. Also, since reading this book, I've been looking for every opportunity to share with my children what God reveals in His word (not just at times when the children disobey and need correction).

I debated giving this book 5 stars just for content, but decided on 4 because it could
Mark
May 05, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
An excellent book for anyone considering how to raise children in a Biblical manner. While the examples at times may seem a little 2 dimensional, they are teaching examples. Taken as such, they can help you learn. As a reference book, this is a Scriptural goldmine for getting you to think Biblically about issues we face. The key take away point is to develop your child through God's standards, not yours. I place this book in the same category (Excellent teaching) as Ted Tripp's "Shepherding a Ch ...more
Lauren
Nov 04, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. It presented the foundation for teaching scripture to children at all ages. Priolo gave practical advice for the how to teach along with the why. He also gave a number of scriptures catogorized by sin patterns that are common.

Much of what he presented I felt I could also apply to my life personally as well as in the context of parenting. Scripture will convict me and give me opportunity to turn from pride, selfishness, lack of self-control. Overall a short, practical rea
Stacia
Oct 25, 2008 Stacia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Conservative Christian Parents
Recommended to Stacia by: a family member
Shelves: living
A-MAZING. This is the best Christian parenting book I have read. It deals a lot with sin and the root sin of your child's behavior. It was very convicting to me, not in how I parent (as my oldest is still on the young side for this type of training) but rather in my own sin life. And bringing to mind sinful habits that need to be repented of and replaced with godly habits. This is a must read for all conservative Christian parents that want to raise their children Biblically.
Greg
Oct 19, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
RECOMMENDED

Another great Christian parenting book!
Covers so much of teaching your children from the scriptures and by the scriptures. With a stack of useful practical suggestions that you can apply immediately to your parenting.

There are 5 appendixes that are extremely useful and practical for everyday Biblical parenting.

This book is a useful addition to any Christian parents bookshelf!

Rachel
May 10, 2010 Rachel rated it did not like it
A few good ideas, but mostly disturbing. "The spanking must be sufficiently robust to make an impression. If you have followed [these:] guidelines. . . and your child is still angry and sullen after the spanking, you probably have not spanked hard enough." Reeeeeeeally? Arrogantly written, and though he says he does not believe in behavior modification, he is clearly a behaviorist.
CC
Jun 15, 2009 CC rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
One of my favorite parenting books. Priolo is convicting about the significance of incorporating God's Word into our correction and instruction of our children. I think about this book often and try to include a Bible verse when I need to correct one of my children. I'm reading this book a second time and finding it as useful and convicting as the first time.
Beth Anne
Aug 29, 2011 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
This is such a great and challenging book for me as a parent. The author does a great job showing the importance of knowing and using scripture in everyday life, and not just theoretically, but very practically. Everything I do as a parent is teaching my children something, and so I need to be diligent that what I teach is ultimately from Scripture.
Lindsey
Jun 26, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Most helpful parenting book I have read to date.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-living
How to use the Scriptures in child training. Rec. by Ann Voskamp. some good thoughts and challenges about the importance of using Scripture in child raising. A few questionable statements would keep me from recommending it without caveat.
Jennifer N.
Jan 21, 2016 Jennifer N. rated it it was amazing
loved it. questionable section on spanking but he made his point with having some kind of discipline that works. i've begun having my children memorize scripture and teaching them about right behavior that pleases the Lord. Thanks Lou :)
Erin Livs Livingston
Jan 31, 2009 Erin Livs Livingston rated it it was amazing
I've read this before, but John and I are going to read it together this summer. Our kids are all at such different stages, I'm looking forward to being reminded of getting to the heart of issues with each of them (and ME!).
Christy
Dec 21, 2011 Christy rated it it was amazing
I read as reference material. It is an easy read, and by book marking pages I can quickly find the example of ill behavior and several advising scripture references.

The appendix is particularly helpful.
Katy
Jan 12, 2008 Katy rated it really liked it
Currently reading. Good content...can be a bit overwhelming. But wonderful words of wisdom about training children that can be applied to one's specific situation and parenting style.
renie
Apr 09, 2007 renie rated it liked it
I'm currently reading this book as my son enters the terrible 2's and Philip and I are desperately trying to read up on what our disciplinary approach will be as parents.
Matt
Oct 20, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on biblical parenting I have every read. Not only has helped Karlyn & I in parenting, it helped me to think through my walk with the Lord.
Tabitha
great book for parents searching for a way to teach disiplines of the Bible in their home. one of the best parenting books Ihave found!
Erin
Aug 11, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Excellent parenting resource - Bible verse chart to use with your parenting in the back of the book.
Kimberly
Jan 23, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Everyone should own this book. If you have any interaction with children this is a MUST-READ!!!
Correna Ruppert
This is a good one if you want to learn to teach from scriptures.
Andrea
Apr 24, 2008 Andrea is currently reading it
Reading this with my MOPS group - need all the help I can get!!
Megan
Feb 09, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Excellent. Informative, convicting, and full of resources.
Crossbones
Oct 29, 2012 Crossbones marked it as to-read
Shelves: family
3.2A - Family/Parenting
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Future Men
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Christ and Your Problems
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Love to Eat, Hate to Eat: Breaking the Bondage of Destructive Eating Habits
  • Quick Scripture Reference for Counseling
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
LOU PRIOLO is the Director of Biblical Counseling at Eastwood Presbyterian Church in Montgomery, Alabama. A graduate of Calvary Bible College and Liberty University, he is the author of The Heart of Anger , and The Complete Husband. Lou is also a Fellow in the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors. He resides in Wetumpka, Alabama with his wife, Kim, and daughters, Sophia and Gabriella.
More about Lou Priolo...