Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training

Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The bookshelves in your home no doubt contain volumes of books, manuals, seminar notes, magazine articles, and video and audio cassettes purporting to address parenting from a Christian point of view. With rare exception, however, most of today's Christian parenting resources fail to emphasize what is perhaps the most important aspect of true biblical parenting -- how to r...more
Published September 2nd 2000 by Timeless Texts

Randall Hartman
Our daughter and son-in-law gave us this book to help us understand their intentions and objectives in raising their children, our delightful grandchildren. :) Having read the content of this book and observing their child-rearing in action for nearly five years, I cannot overstate how highly I recommend this book. As a parent, grandparent, or anyone serious about living life conformed to Christ and helping others do the same, it is an outstanding resource, encouragement, and practical guide. It...more
Ryan
Dec 03, 2010 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: god
Excellent parenting book, arranged around the four uses of the Bible from 2 Tim 3:16: teaching, conviction, correction, training in righteousness. Priolo encourages parents to view their kids from a spiritual perspective, instead of a pop psychology perspective.

Contains very practical method for introducing the word of God into your child's life, then helping them grow into a mature Christian. It addresses behavior, but by focusing on the heart of the matter instead of the outward symptoms.
Matt
Jan 20, 2009 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian parents
This is a pretty good book on parenting. I do appreciate his emphasis on making sure you are reaching the heart when parenting. He provides lots of thought-provoking questions to ask your kids when correcting them as well as trying to shepherd them.
Sometimes, he can be a little hard core when he lumps people into "psychobabble" molds. It is either pyschobabble or his, biblical camp. Or, at least this was the impression I got from some of his statements.
On a funny note, he is giving instruction o...more
Elise
Jul 29, 2008 Elise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new and old parents, teachers, everyone I know
This book can feel overwhelming, but I feel I would have a much more difficult time of parenting if I didn't have this godly advice at my fingertips. The role of a Christian parent is a high calling-and I think Priolo does a great job at reminding parents that it is all a process of sanctification- for us before our children. We can't be diligent at teaching the scriptures if we don't know them. So he begins by addressing the parent.
He shows parents "how to relate the Bible to the disciplinary p...more
Betsy
Another great parenting book! If you like Ginger Plowman's Don't Make Me Count to Three, you'll like this one, too. You can see Priolo's influence on her once you read his book. I was a teensy bit bothered by his gender-stereotypical examples (such as "you, women, when you're putting on your makeup in the mornings..." and "You men, when you do [something sports related]" partly because I rarely wear makeup, but his point was well made regardless). This book would be hard to break down for parent...more
Rebecca Brandt
Excellent book that helps parents understand that only God can change the heart of a child or person. Lou Priolo does a great job in helping parents understand that God's word is the best way to share the truth about our world and for training children.

I highly recommend this for every parent.
Joshua
What a great book for parents who are eager to teach their children not only from God's Word, but according to God's Word. The author takes the claims from 2 Timothy 3:16 and applies them to disciplining children. The chapters teach both what is and how to implement: Biblical teaching, Biblical reproof, Biblical correction, and Biblical training in righteousness. It also has very helpful appendices for finding and using verses for specific sinful patterns. I've read a couple of parenting books,...more
Peter Krol
This book was very challenging, but helpful. The Scriptures should be central in our parenting. Priolo challenged me to know Scripture well enough that I can give a verse or passage for anything I tell my children to do. Also, since reading this book, I've been looking for every opportunity to share with my children what God reveals in His word (not just at times when the children disobey and need correction).

I debated giving this book 5 stars just for content, but decided on 4 because it could...more
Mark
An excellent book for anyone considering how to raise children in a Biblical manner. While the examples at times may seem a little 2 dimensional, they are teaching examples. Taken as such, they can help you learn. As a reference book, this is a Scriptural goldmine for getting you to think Biblically about issues we face. The key take away point is to develop your child through God's standards, not yours. I place this book in the same category (Excellent teaching) as Ted Tripp's "Shepherding a Ch...more
Lauren
This book was excellent. It presented the foundation for teaching scripture to children at all ages. Priolo gave practical advice for the how to teach along with the why. He also gave a number of scriptures catogorized by sin patterns that are common.

Much of what he presented I felt I could also apply to my life personally as well as in the context of parenting. Scripture will convict me and give me opportunity to turn from pride, selfishness, lack of self-control. Overall a short, practical rea...more
Stacia
Oct 25, 2008 Stacia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Conservative Christian Parents
Recommended to Stacia by: a family member
Shelves: living
A-MAZING. This is the best Christian parenting book I have read. It deals a lot with sin and the root sin of your child's behavior. It was very convicting to me, not in how I parent (as my oldest is still on the young side for this type of training) but rather in my own sin life. And bringing to mind sinful habits that need to be repented of and replaced with godly habits. This is a must read for all conservative Christian parents that want to raise their children Biblically.
Greg
RECOMMENDED

Another great Christian parenting book!
Covers so much of teaching your children from the scriptures and by the scriptures. With a stack of useful practical suggestions that you can apply immediately to your parenting.

There are 5 appendixes that are extremely useful and practical for everyday Biblical parenting.

This book is a useful addition to any Christian parents bookshelf!

Rachel
A few good ideas, but mostly disturbing. "The spanking must be sufficiently robust to make an impression. If you have followed [these:] guidelines. . . and your child is still angry and sullen after the spanking, you probably have not spanked hard enough." Reeeeeeeally? Arrogantly written, and though he says he does not believe in behavior modification, he is clearly a behaviorist.
CC
One of my favorite parenting books. Priolo is convicting about the significance of incorporating God's Word into our correction and instruction of our children. I think about this book often and try to include a Bible verse when I need to correct one of my children. I'm reading this book a second time and finding it as useful and convicting as the first time.
Beth Anne
This is such a great and challenging book for me as a parent. The author does a great job showing the importance of knowing and using scripture in everyday life, and not just theoretically, but very practically. Everything I do as a parent is teaching my children something, and so I need to be diligent that what I teach is ultimately from Scripture.
Lindsey
Most helpful parenting book I have read to date.
Michelle
How to use the Scriptures in child training. Rec. by Ann Voskamp. some good thoughts and challenges about the importance of using Scripture in child raising. A few questionable statements would keep me from recommending it without caveat.
Erin Livs Livingston
I've read this before, but John and I are going to read it together this summer. Our kids are all at such different stages, I'm looking forward to being reminded of getting to the heart of issues with each of them (and ME!).
Christy
I read as reference material. It is an easy read, and by book marking pages I can quickly find the example of ill behavior and several advising scripture references.

The appendix is particularly helpful.
Katy
Currently reading. Good content...can be a bit overwhelming. But wonderful words of wisdom about training children that can be applied to one's specific situation and parenting style.
renie
I'm currently reading this book as my son enters the terrible 2's and Philip and I are desperately trying to read up on what our disciplinary approach will be as parents.
Matt
This is the best book on biblical parenting I have every read. Not only has helped Karlyn & I in parenting, it helped me to think through my walk with the Lord.
Tabitha
great book for parents searching for a way to teach disiplines of the Bible in their home. one of the best parenting books Ihave found!
Erin
Excellent parenting resource - Bible verse chart to use with your parenting in the back of the book.
Kimberly
Everyone should own this book. If you have any interaction with children this is a MUST-READ!!!
Correna Ruppert
This is a good one if you want to learn to teach from scriptures.
Andrea
Apr 24, 2008 Andrea is currently reading it
Reading this with my MOPS group - need all the help I can get!!
Megan
Excellent. Informative, convicting, and full of resources.
Karel
Jul 19, 2007 Irma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
Great book for parents!
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Standing on the Promises: A Handbook of Biblical Childrearing
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed
LOU PRIOLO is the Director of Biblical Counseling at Eastwood Presbyterian Church in Montgomery, Alabama. A graduate of Calvary Bible College and Liberty University, he is the author of The Heart of Anger , and The Complete Husband. Lou is also a Fellow in the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors. He resides in Wetumpka, Alabama with his wife, Kim, and daughters, Sophia and Gabriella.
More about Lou Priolo...
The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie" The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding The Heart of Anger: Helping Angry Children Getting A Grip: The Heart of Anger Handbook for Teens