Start by marking “Man Against the Future: 17 Topflight Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Yarns.” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Bryan Young, sensational author of Lost at the Con, brings his dark visions of the future, the past, and worlds never seen, all in one stunning collection. Enter and be transported from alien battlefields and the post-apocalypse to the very gates of heaven and back!
Published May 1st 2011 by Shinebox Digital Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Man Against the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Against the Future

1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyDune by Frank HerbertSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Adult Science Fiction
16th out of 101 books — 50 voters
Lost at the Con by Bryan YoungThese Days by Jack ChengRontel by Sam PinkHand Made High Tech by Simon GrothAnnabel Scheme by Robin Sloan
Tomely Bundle #2: Zeitgeisty Books
7th out of 10 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Rae M.
I got this through Goodread's first reads giveaways.

First of all, let me say that all together this is a pretty brilliant collection. I didn't care for the first story, and I was thinking it was pretty weak to be the first one. But other than that, enjoyed it, a lot.

Here's a bit on my favorite stories:
A Simple Country Murder / Late Term Abortion: I like these two as two sides of the same coin.

A Peculiar Constitutional: It's about a talking, intelligent cat. All that needs to be said.

The Flight
Janine Spendlove
Dec 10, 2011 Janine Spendlove rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Janine by: The author
WOW! What an eclectic collection. There truly is something for everyone here! Sci-fi, Horror, Fantasy, Romance, YA Lit, you name it.

It's hard to believe that one person wrote all these stories, but he did. Mr. Young truly is the master of switching "voices."

I really like about 1/2 the stories, disliked about 1/4 of the stories, and positively adored (and hope he turns them into full length novels) another 1/4 of the stories.

And yes, he managed to make me weep on last story. Simply beautiful.

Jason
This is a train wreck of poorly executed hyperbole. Unnecessarily political and the author beats his ideas into your head with a brick. There is barely any substance. I'd recommend the author learn the definition of subtlety.
Erin
This is a good introduction to not only Bryan's work, but to Bryan as a man.
Amberley
Nothing more to say than fantastic! These stories are great and leave you wanting more from Bryan!
Lech Jankovski
Most of the stories made me think. Nice format and future-oriented philosophy.
PJ
An excellent change of pace from his regular work!
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 25, 2015
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Theodore Yo
Theodore Yo marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sarah Rosner
Sarah Rosner marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
David Bibby
David Bibby marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Samuel Gibelli
Samuel Gibelli marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Theodore Yo
Theodore Yo marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Ahmet A. Sabancı
Ahmet A. Sabancı marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bryan Young works across many different mediums. As a film producer, his last two films (“This Divided State” and “Killer at Large”) were released by The Disinformation Company and were called “filmmaking gold” by The New York Times. He’s also published comic books with Slave Labor Graphics and Image Comics. He’s a contributor for the Huffington Post and the founder and editor in chief of the geek ...more
More about Bryan Young...
Lost at the Con Operation: Montauk A Children's Illustrated History of Presidential Assassination God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut The Serpent's Head