Start by marking “Icons (Icons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Icons (Icons, #1)

Icons (Icons #1)

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  7,012 Ratings  ·  940 Reviews
Your heart beats only with their permission.

Everything changed on The Day. The day the windows shattered. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside -- safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she
Published May 7th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,520 books — 10,952 voters
The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
1,041 books — 2,342 voters

More lists with this book...

Aj the Ravenous Reader
Uh...ah...uhm...I really don't know how to review this book because everything in the story to me is cryptic. I'm not a big fan of alien stories in the first place and not only does this book have them, but it also portrays them in the most unfathomable way that is kind of hard to appreciate. I do have a little empathy for the heroine in the story but there are not enough events for her to display her character and personality. So, I'm stuck and I don't know what to say next because there is rea ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
ICONS has this original feel to it that hooked me from page one. I LOVED this book! It's one of those reads you pick up expecting one thing, and end up with something a little bit different, and oh so addicting. The best way to describe this book is to say it's an exciting, action packed dystopian / science fiction read loaded with twists and turns that will leave you wanting more when you finish it. Having a storyline fueled by action, some sizzling character chemistry, intrigue, betrayal, love ...more
Sabrina
Apr 19, 2013 Sabrina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Leigh Collazo
May 17, 2013 Leigh Collazo rated it it was ok
Shelves: slj

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

REVIEW: When I first started reading Icons, I thought it was going to be a five-star book. Crazy-creative world-building is easy to spot, and Icons has unique world-building in spades. I liked Dol and loved Ro, and I enjoyed trying to figure out just exactly what was going on. Ramona Jamona the pig just cracked me up, and I was actually a little sad when the aliens killed her (not really a spoiler--it happened right at the beginning). I love the "Classified" docu
Brad Sells
Aug 14, 2011 Brad Sells rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-favorites
Words cannot even begin to describe how much I adore Icons. You know how some people say "I can't even", and some people don't understand it? Well, guess what.
I CAN'T EVEN.

Everything about this book is phenomenal; everything. I was emerged into the world of the Icons immediately, and I never for a second wanted to put the book down. When I would, it was the only thing on my mind. And whenever I picked it back up, I would read 150 pages in one go. Icons is definitely a favorite of 2013 and of al
Hermione
2 stars. So, here's the thing, Margaret Stohl. I gave Beautiful Creatures a try, but I really, really didn't like it. I didn't like it enough to give your sequel(s) (did that make sense?) a try.

But then I heard you were making a dystopian series, first book titled Icons. So I was like, Okay. She's doing something new. I'll give this a try. Even though the absolute MAJORITY of dystopians seemed half-assed, with weak plots, boring stories, and even worse world building.

Needless to say, Ms. Stohl
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
I wasn't completely sold on the style with this one, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Aliens usually aren't my thing, but the alien presence in this book didn't put me off. This wasn't all in your face about the visitors from outer space. Yeah, they were there, they were mentioned a lot, but it was done really well in this book so it's NOT just a book about aliens invading earth. Which is good, because it kept me reading.

I think this is part of a series (the first) but I don't think I'll read on. Fo
Inspired Kathy
Dec 11, 2014 Inspired Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This book was just ok until then ending. Then I finally became interested.

I had this on audiobook and it kept my interest enough to keep listening when I was driving or working but I never really fully understood what was going on or why things were happening or really even cared about the story or characters.

I liked Ro from the first time we met him but never quite got when or why Dol fell for Lucas so the love triangle didn't work for me.

By the end of the book I was intrigued and so will read
Angel Erin
Sep 18, 2015 Angel Erin rated it liked it
Maybe more like 2.5 Stars

Icons is yet another post apocalyptic/dystopia/alien novel that unfortunately doesn't really have anything new to deliver.

Years ago everything changed on the day the Icons dropped from the sky and a lot of people died. Now Dol and her friend Ro are captured by the Embassy and they meet two other teens with similar "dots" on their wrists. Together all four have to unravel a conspiracy and use their uncontrollable emotions to save their future.

So pretty much this book fol
Tanya Nekrasova
«Иконы» Маргарет Штоль стала для меня книгой, на которую просто жаль потраченного времени.

Мучила, я творение на 384 страницы в течение почти 2-х недель. Пыталась читать по чуть-чуть, ежедневно. Меня совершенно не захватила история, не понравились герои, не понравился стиль написания, речевые обороты. Но я решила себя наказать, за то что в последнее время покупаю много новинок просто потому что их выпускают. Скажу даже больше, читаю всякую фигню вместо того, чтобы читать тех автор, которых я люб
Jen
Apr 23, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
Icons is an excellent novel full of 'big feels' Icons is based primarily on fear. Humans live in a post-invasion world were the the aliens only deal with the Ambassadors and can wipe out entire cities with a single pulse. The cities are remnants of the some of the most inhabited cities in the world. The landscape, described in vivid detail, is a character all its own.

The story follows Dol a grass girl who leads a simple life away from the Hole, what used to be Los Angeles. Dol is not a normal te
Siobhan
Dec 01, 2012 Siobhan rated it it was ok
I have always loved Margaret Stohl, especially after reading the Beautiful Creatures series. And when I saw that she was going solo with Icons, I knew I had to read it.

Aliens are getting very popular these days in the YA genre, with I am Number Four and the recent release of The 5th Wave, but it can be very hard to get it right, and I am sad to say that this one fell a little flat for me. It took me a long time to figure out why I didn't like this book as much as I wanted to, and to be honest, I
Megan Bacchus
May 07, 2013 Megan Bacchus rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable book. I haven’t read many sci-fi books and I found this book to be really good. I could very much see this book as a movie. At first the terminology was a bit confusing, such as the Day, the Icons, and the Lords. The plot involves the Lords which are essentially aliens (never have been seen) have come to earth and using Icons (giant structures that possess a power to kill) they have taken over the earth on the Day. Not everyone is dead and the rest have been allowed t ...more
Neil (or bleed)
2.5

I don't know if I've read the book too fast, thus I can't feel (at all?) any emotions in this book or Icons was really lacking of that element. Mind you, I appreciate the plot and the world building but I think it has been overcooked that the author forgot to apply emotions to her characters. Seriously, I can't connect with the characters, I can't feel them within me. And I don't like a book if it doesn't carry feelings because for me feelings makes the characters and the world seems realisti
Taschima
Feb 28, 2012 Taschima rated it it was ok
Icons was a book I was excited for, and I really wanted to like, not because the author wrote Beautiful Creatures (still haven't finished that series) but because of the premise, and let's be honest a little bit because of the cover (I think it looks sick, if that is still a word being used). What ended up happening is that I has to make myself sit down in order to finish it. The beginning was exciting, and held a lot of promise, but once the story was past that first rush of excitement... it ki ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction/Blue Door, Voyager and Netgalley.)
16 years ago, 13 strange metallic ‘Icon’s’ dropped from the sky, and situated themselves in the largely populated areas of the world, killing millions of people, and turning others into slaves.

17-year-old’s Dol and Ro live in the wilds outside of one of these epicentres, away from the Embassy and the ‘Sympas’ (sympathisers who have become
Jon
May 07, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Icons is original. Complicated. Emotional. Powerful. And sometimes difficult.

And entirely worth the read.

Here's the hook for me - it's not the alien invasion, although that's pretty well done, in a fresh way. It's not the love triangles or squares or whatever. Icons is great because of Stohl's portrayal of four real kids who have real, messy, confusing feelings that are more powerful than they know how to deal with.

Sound familiar? That's because it describes every young person on the planet. And
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Apr 02, 2014 Bèbè ✦ RANT ✦ rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
description

With insane world-building, complex and creative characters, Icons has become one of the creative works of Margaret Stohl. After writing Beautiful Creatures, she became super popular and everyone who read her first book and a fan of it, has to read Icons.

description

The story begins with introducing us to the events that happened on The Day. It doesn't explain it in details but gives us some sort of background on what happened. Fast forward about 15 years, Dol is with RO, a boy who she grew up with. Since
Ruth Silver
May 02, 2013 Ruth Silver rated it it was ok
I wanted so much to love Icons. The cover looks amazing, I really enjoyed Margaret Stohl's Beautiful Creatures (though quite bluntly was less impressed with the second book in the series) and this is how I felt about Icons, not impressed. There were a lot of flaws with the story, specifically about these Lords. I can understand the point - we're being oppressed and there's not much one can do about it with these giant Icons enslaving us - but I have trouble with the lack of emotion I felt in kno ...more
Mila BlackSheep BS
Jul 05, 2016 Mila BlackSheep BS added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF

I'm going to have to let this one go, it was just not for me.

I appreciate that the author decided to have a diverse cast instead of all white protagonists (they were mexicans, at least as far as I read into) but I wished she had done more research on it. The times she used names or spanish grammar were particularly annoying because it was terrible and it's easy stuff that even google translate knows.

Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
It was good. Not spectacular. The first half was pretty slow but if finally picked up halfway through. I didn't really connect with any of the characters though and that was a problem for me. I will be interested to see where the rest of the series goes and will be reading it. I find I don't have enough words for a full review on my blog so this is it.
Allison
Sep 17, 2011 Allison marked it as to-read
This should be really interesting-after her take on "witches" and "vampires," I can't wait to see Stohl take on "aliens." Good for her. Hope to see a romance and plot just as good as Beautiful Creatures.
Lauren
Apr 13, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok
This was a complete disappointment. I don't read a lot of Y.A novels that focus on aliens/heavy sci-fi but I've seen enough TV shows and movies to know when an idea is just not working.
 photo 11 Disappointed.gif

The concept of Icons had potential and, as I said above, seeing as I haven't read much in this particular genre I didn't find myself noticing an over-abundance of cliches in regards to sci-fi. Unfortunately I found the Y.A cliches to be front an centre instead. Get your checklist ready:
 photo Cant be good 12.gif
- A heroine/hero who is n
Nikki
Feb 21, 2013 Nikki rated it did not like it
I was so excited when I won an ARC of this book. First, the cover - my ARC has the beautiful original pink cover, which I originally fell in love when when I first heard about the book. And that summary had me completely hooked. I was positive this book would be amazing. Positive.

And it would've been... if the book had actually been able to pull off what the summary implies.

To be fair, the first few sentences of the summary are dead-on. The book opens with the deaths of Dol's parents when she wa
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Interesting story with a mix of Sci-fi/dystopian elements weaved in. There was good action, but I had a hard time connecting to the characters.

Opening Sentence: One tiny gray dot, no bigger than a freckle, marks the inside of the baby’s chubby arm.

The Review:

Doloria Maria de la Cruz is special — she survived The Day. When she was a baby there was an attack on Earth from an extraterrestrial life form called the Icons. On that day the power s
usagi ☆ミ
4.5/5 stars!

Wow. Where to begin? This book is pretty short at a shade under 300 pages, but it packs a huge punch. I didn't think that Stohl was going to go into the space opera area of YA (a sub-genre that badly needs boosting), but I'm glad she did, because she's done right by it. There's a lot going on in this first book in the "Icons" series, and now I'm pretty much slavering for book two. If you're looking for an exciting sci-fi adventure that still stays within the familiar elegance of Stoh
Matilda
Mar 03, 2013 Matilda rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book but it just wasn't for me...
I was really looking forward to it and after I saw the trailer I was excited to read it... yet if left me with a sour taste.

Your heart beats only with their permission.
Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the co
Saruuh Kelsey
More intense, hard hitting, and emotional the second time around. Safe to say, I'm wrecked again by this book. (28.07.14)

Icons is absolutely phenomenal. I had first expected it to be a run-of-the-mill dystopian society, but it was written by Margaret Stohl, whose writing I love, so I was always going to read it regardless. But what I actually got, what this book delivered, was so far from what I expected, and a far cry from run-of-the-mill.

Icons is filled to the brim with exhilarating action,
Jon
Check out more of my reviews!
I'm a huge fan of Beautiful Creatures and all of the other books in the Caster Chronicles series. When I heard of Icons, I was extremely excited because I was so excited to see how Margaret Stohl would fare without Kami Garcia. Stohl blew me away with Icons and it exceeded any expectations I had.

It's so hard to express how much I loved Icons in one short review. Margaret Stohl tosses out all of the generic alien stories and creates her own original alien mythology.
Aylee
Sep 25, 2012 Aylee rated it it was ok
In short: Unfortunately, Icons by Margaret Stohl failed to impress me with its standard and slow paced plot, its botched scientific explanation, and its flat characters.

I struggled with Icons, which was frustrating because I could see the potential in the concept. Aliens (or "Lords") invade Earth and teens with special powers (the "Icon children") help protect humanity. It was a premise that I should have found interesting and gripping, but instead I found that I just couldn't get into the story
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Unbreakable (The Legion, #1)
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • The Beautiful and the Cursed (The Dispossessed, #1)
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
Margaret Stohl is the #1 New York Times, PW, USA Today, LA Times and Internationally bestselling co-author of the BEAUTIFUL CREATURES NOVELS (Fall 2009-2012) and author of THE ICONS SERIES (Spring, 2013.)

Pre-order Black Widow: Forever Red here to receive an exclusive signed print: http://mstohl.com/blackwidow

From the author:

Goodreads Peeps! Please note I no longer review the books on my shelf, "s
More about Margaret Stohl...

Icons (2 books)
  • Idols (Icons, #2)

“I am powerful because of who and what I am. Not because of who I am not.” 31 likes
“Feelings are memories. Memories are also feelings.” 24 likes