Sudden Storms

Sudden Storms

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  834 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Rivers Brighton was a wanderer-having nothing and belonging to no one. Still, by chance, Rivers found herself harboring for a time beneath the roof of the kind-hearted Jolee Gray and her remarkably attractive yet ever-grumbling brother, Paxton. Jolee had taken Rivers in, and Rivers had stayed. Helplessly drawn to Paxton's alluring presence and unable to escape his astonish...more
Published April 27th 2011 by Distractions Ink (first published October 20th 2007)

Sandy
My vision of paradise includes reading Marcia books all day.

These books are so incredibly addicting (I've read something like 20 of them in the past three weeks) and Sudden Storms was another western winner for me. It has all the elements we love in our Marcia fix: from her epitome-of-masculinity cowboy to a sweet heroine with kissable berry lips to those passion-drenched kisses (clean, of course!).

Aaaaahhh, Marcia. You had me at Visions of Ransom Lake and I've never looked back.
Kristen
Wow, I can understand why Marcia McClure is called the queen of kissing. I had to fan my face after a couple of knee buckling kisses. :o)

Love, love, love her books. Can't wait to read more. My sister says I am obsessed.

Moral Note: One "heck", and some passionate kissing. Recommended for older readers.
Inspired Kathy
For the record I love clean romances that make me smile and this fits the bill perfectly. A really quick, fun read - I started this book when my kid's friends came over for a late night and by the time everyone had headed home and settled down I had finished the book. A perfect book to read in one sitting. Marcia Lynn McClure's books make me laugh out loud, and leave me grinning and Sudden Storms was no exception.

July 20, 2010 - Just read this one again. Instead of watching a movie or a TV show...more
Anne OK
A freebie on Kindle. A western romance. A quick sweet read for those who enjoy this type storyline. Didn't care for the writing style in this one, along with the fact that the book contained multiple editing errors. Probably won't be reading another from this author.
Angie Cornelison
Marcia, Wow you've done it again! It's all about the Kiss!!:)
Kathy
November 2011: Great escape, fun read.

March 2011: Marcia's books are always a fun escape, a little cheesy at times, but clean and fun. I liked that Jolee and Rivers had a little more spunk then some of the girls in her other books. Rivers stood up for herself and I liked that she had some backbone. I thought her and Paxton had good chemistry together. The story was short, but sweet. It's one of her better books, IMO.
LorettaLynn
Ok when i frist picked up this book i thought it was potary.
But that it is not.Marcia Lynn McClure did a wonderful job writing this book.
I enjoyed it so much i was really sorry it ended.
It's got love, lust and some romance all wriped up in one.
I really enjoyed it and if you havent had the chance to read it,pick it up and give it a try!

Happy Reading
Tiffany
I love Marcia Lynn McClure books!!!!!!!!!!

I love that when picking up her book I know a few things will happen to me. I will smile almost entirely, laugh, receive goose bumps and some toe curling moments.

Sudden Storms did not disappoint! It was fun, cute and hot! Through in a mad woman in a white gown and how can you not go wrong??
Tori
I really wish this book was longer. It was a short, easy read, but I would have liked to hang out with Paxton and Rivers more!! But as usual, Marcia Lynn McClure rocked it... Kissing in the rain...HOT
Another great book by Marcia Lynn McClure. She is amazing! I love that her books are so clean and that when I'm done reading them I can't help but smile. Awesome books!
Cortney
Sep 23, 2009 Cortney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE this author! She write beautiful CLEAN romances that are uplifting and sweet! I read this book in 4 hours it was so good!
Marcie
This book wins my BEST KISS EVER award, lol. yep my favorite kiss out of all of her books so far.
Kelly
Man, I just love the kissing!!!
Kathryn
Annalisa
This is another one of MLM short reads. It is a smaller sized book consisting of only 175 pages so it can be read in a few hours. I liked the spunk of Rivers and how that draws her to Paxton.

Amazon Product Description
RUNNING FROM NOWHERE TO NOTHING.SHE HAD NO ONE. HE HAD EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE.BUT WOULD HE HAVE HER? Rivers Brighton was a wanderer-having nothing and belonging to no one. Still, by chance, Rivers found herself harboring for a time beneath the roof of the kind-hearted Jolee Gray, a...more
Emily Porter
WARNING!!!!! Contains spoilers.

"Sudden Storms" by Marcia Lynn McClure is the story of a woman named Rivers Brighton. She's a drifter who is dressed as a boy to avoid any unwanted attention. She stumbles upon a farm owned by Jolee Gray and her brother, Paxton. Rivers feels drawn to Paxton, but won't admit it. And it isn't long at all in he story until he finds out she's a girl. The two of them share a few moments over skipping rocks, going into town and hiding in cellars from sudden twisters, the...more
Claire
I got this free from Amazon.

If it wasn't for free downloads to Kindle, I never would have known this book existed. That would have been a huge shame. This was a great historical western novel from McClure.

All the characters were very likable. Paxton was just the right of moody and loveable. The mystery to the book was a great change. I liked the creativity.

This book is fairly short but it doesn't read like it. I really enjoyed the emotion in this novel. I really felt for Rivers. This book could...more
Tressa (Tressa's Wishful Endings)
Rivers has been a wanderer the most recent half of her life. The only family she has left are some granparents that she hasn't seen in some time. After riding the train, she decides to stop and try to get some work to earn some food and a place to rest. Dressed as a boy she knocks at a house Jolee Gray and her brother, Paxton live. She is hired by a compassionate Jolee who knows she is a girl despite her outfit. Thus Rivers friendship with Jolee begins and also an attraction to her handsome brot...more
Lola4
Although I am a big fan of Marcia McClure books, I found this one falling short. The characters were neither as appealing nor well-developed as in her other novels--in fact the hero was a bit of a pill--and that fight at the railroad track really didn't work (Advice: strong, young hard working woman, put both hands on the wrist of the one arm of crazy middle-aged woman holding knife to your throat and push outward--problem solved instantly.) Also how come Rivers kept changing clothes during the...more
Chelsea Raadgep
Oh Marcia! You make me fall in love with every one of these books so easily! :) I thought it was really interesting with the woman not being in her right mind who was the villain in the end. She was so determined that if she could not have Paxton, then no one else could. But true love does indeed conquer all, even though the end to the villain was quite, should I say, WOAH! But it is really interesting how Marcia has characters in her books who are not only evil, if you will, but they are also n...more
Connie
I love reading Marcia's books. Her good ol' romantic stories always pull me in to a place where the tension runs high between two young people; in this case it's with Rivers & Paxton. Paxton is a rough cowboy with a good heart, one that might open up and let someone in. His past makes him leery to love and he has good reason to be concerned as his past comes back to the present.

Fun read for 16 & up. There is a bit of violence (but I don't think there were any swear words :)
Emily
Jan 18, 2014 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Emily by: marcia Lynn McClure website
I'll never look at cellars and storms the same way again. A storms a brewin', darlin.
Debbie
Marcia Lynn McClure is my read when I'm looking for a good, clean, "totally romance" quick read. I have enjoyed all of her books and they never do anything more than the kissing - it's great. I don't know that I would let my 15 year old daughter read these yet because they do stir the emotions a bit and she doesn't need to be feeling those yet - however for us old married gals - they are great!
Jennybug
I really liked this book. I haven't read too many romance novels. Yet, I think I could totally become addicted. It was really fun to lose myself in a love story. The characters were fun and likable. This book was really short and really quick to read. It was really light, happy, and fun. I think I will check out some of her other books.

Anita
Rivers Brighton has been jumping trains and riding the rails for two years. When she stops and the farm of Jolee Gray to ask for work and food, she makes a good friend in Jolee, and becomes very attracted to her handsome brother, Paxton.

I love this author! I know the titles are a little cheesy, but I read her stories with a grin on my face!
Zette
I enjoyed this short, light read. Marcia's heroes are always strong and hunky and the ladies are beautiful (without knowing it) and needing to be rescued. It seemed like the story went from one kissing scene to the next. I enjoy them but think the build up is almost more exciting. When there are so many, they kind of get old.
Bonnie Oman
Yikes! Complete cheese! It was like a train wreck that I couldn't look away from. Along with the rest of the books by this author they are um hmm um full of "moist" kissing and stuff and it's all rather silly and yet very high on the girlie giggle chart. Highly diverting for cheese romance readers.
Natalie
I felt like this book was a rehash of what she's already written. There are actually quite a few phrases and character actions she loves to throw in to many of her books. With the exchange of a few different weird names, and a different antagonist - this book has already been written by this author.
Claudia
I liked the story over all. I liked that Paxton plays the harmonica. I don't think I know of anyone playing the harmonica and it was fun trying to imagine what it would be to listen to someone play the harmonica for you.
  • Jayhawk
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • Loyalty's Web
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • The Kissing Tree
  • What the Doctor Ordered
  • Hearts in Hiding (Haggerty Mystery, #1)
  • The Kiss of a Stranger
  • Not My Type: A Single Girl's Guide to Doing It All Wrong
  • The Sweetest Kiss (Brothers of Worthington, #1)
  • All I Want
  • Santa Maybe
  • Welcome to Stalk Lake City (Rhea Jensen, #2)
  • Captive Heart
  • All I Hold Dear
  • The Knight of Redmond
  • Towers of Brierley
  • The Commander's Desire
Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Marcia Lynn McClure grew up influenced by the reminiscent stories of rugged, rural Colorado farm life fascinatingly recounted to her by her parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts…tales of runaway buckboards, mule-drawn plows and dust pneumonia; verbalized images of stream-flooded meadows, frozen over in winter, where a child could peer through the crystal clear ic...more
More about Marcia Lynn McClure...
The Highwayman of Tanglewood The Visions of Ransom Lake Dusty Britches Shackles of Honor A Crimson Frost