Start by marking “Beyond Lies the Wub by Philip K. Dick, Science Fiction, Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Beyond Lies the Wub by Philip K. Dick, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Beyond Lies the Wub by Philip K. Dick, Science Fiction, Fantasy

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,587 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
The wub stood sagging, its great body settling slowly. It was sitting down, its eyes half shut. A few flies buzzed about its flank, and it switched its tail. It sat. There was silence. "It's a wub," Peterson said. "I got it from a native for fifty cents. He said it was a very unusual animal. Very respected." "This? It's a pig! A huge dirty pig!" "Yes sir, it's a pig. The n ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Aegypan (first published April 1st 1951)

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Lies the Wub by Philip K. Dick, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Bill  Kerwin
Oct 22, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Philip K. Dick's first published short story (Planet Stories, July 1952), begins with what may have been a familiar plot point even by the early 50's: a space ship crew, having acquired a cargo-hold filled with alien animals for food, plans to devour a creature--the "wub" of the title--more intelligent and psychically gifted than all the humans on the ship put together. Of course, things do not turn out as expected.

Dick tale, though, is memorable for two reasons: 1) the humorous yet melancholy c
Brian Yahn
Sep 13, 2016 Brian Yahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this story.

What would happen if your dinner could talk to you and asked you not to eat it?

Philip K. Dick has the answer [=
Lyn
Apr 10, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is a wub?

A wub is like a big telepathic pig that is cultured and likes to discuss philosophy and myths.

There is almost no way to review this brilliant, original 1952 publication from a very young PKD (24 years old) without spoiling, so I’ll just write that if you call yourself a science fiction fan you should invest the less than 15 minutes it will take to read.

An upper level English course called Science Fiction literature should include a discussion of this excellent short work.

description
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
I AM A WORM..

When I was in class tenth,we had a chapter on Nehru,an extract from his 'discovery of India' in our English text. While lecturing on that,our teacher used to ask us students what we were in comparison to the great brains like Nehru and Wells. Hearing our silence,he would answer his own question,making us repeat after him,"WE ARE WORMS". And after that every time he asked us 'what are you',we answered,"I AM A WORM". So every time I hear of a worm or read of it,I am automatically led
Ania
Oct 20, 2012 Ania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ania by: goodreads
I don't know about you, but I picture the wub as a big Guinea Pig. Something like this perhaps:
description

I have to say that originally I rated this story with 3 stars: enjoyable but nothing special. And then it hit me. What if the wub wasn't really a space hog? what if the space hog was just an animal that previously ATE whatever else had the wub inside it, and was taken over by it? What if the wub "individuates", as he puts it, not by leaving his group in space or time, but by leaving the group "corporal
Richard
Apr 07, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dick isn't the greatest of scribblers--characters move with thin or confounding motives at times, flat dialogue--but the situations are magnificent. A ship presumably filling its hold ark-like for a long trip picks up a wub, a filthy creature supposedly tasty but also telepathic and intelligent. From here, as they cynically say, the hilarity ensues. A quick punch in the ethical gut.
Skyler Myers
Jan 08, 2014 Skyler Myers rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in unique sci-fi that is mixed with some philosophy
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
"Many men talk like philosophers and live like fools."

PROs:

* Original plot

* Interesting ethical ideas brought up

* Surprising twist at the end

CONs:

* Too short to really delve deeply into any ideas

* Simplistic dialogue

This is one of Phillip K. Dick's shortest short stories. It can easily be read and understood in less than thirty minutes, making it an easy and rewarding read. The plot is different from anything I've seen before and it has a good ending. I think it has breached potential.

"But would
Tristram
Don’t Parley with Your Food!

Appearing in “Planet Stories” in 1952, Beyond Lies the Wub, the first story by Dick that was published, could actually make you become a vegetarian. It invites us on board a spacecraft that has just taken provisions, mainly animals, on Mars and is now on its way back to earth.

One of the animals that have been taken aboard, an enormous pig-like creature, which the Martians call a wub, and which makes the captain’s mouth water already, turns out to be an intelligent cre
Catherine  Mustread
What a great short story! Loved the surprise twist at the end, the philosophy of life and of meat-eating. Listened to this on Selected Shorts podcast which can be found at this link: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Select...
Terence Blake
"Beyond Lies the Wub" is an interesting early short story, that is richer than may seem at first glance. Mythology, religion, and philosophy form a backdrop to the story. In particular, there are references to Odysseus and to Epicureanism.

I think the Odysseus reference could be filled out in several ways. Odysseus does not rely on brute force like Achilles, but on intelligence, cunning, ruse. This is another case where we can identify the Wub with Odysseus, as against the Achilles-like Captain.
Kedar
Jun 26, 2012 Kedar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this short story, my first Philip K. Dick work, this song kept playing in my mind:

Big man, pig man
Ha, ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel
Ha, ha, charade you are

- Pigs (Three Different Ones) by Pink Floyd

I was wondering if the travesty was really apt. I wondered if there was something in this story that crossed the gravitational force and escaped me. All I know is that here is a nice, short story about a wub (A rather stout, big pig-like being) that is picked up from Mars f
Michael
This is a well written thought provoking short story which was also well narrated.

A Wub which is pretty much a big telepathic pig that is cultured and likes to discuss philosophy and myths. has been captured, and the crew want to eat it, obviously the Wub disagrees with this and discusses with the captain alternative options.

I found this short story rather thought provoking as it reflects human nature and how humans truly are really destructive creatures.

This short story is free to listen too an
Dr. Strangelet
Dick's first published story, it already displays many of his characteristic themes like shifting identity and paranoia. First published in the fading pulp powerhouse Planet Stories in 1952, it's firmly within the confines of b-list pulp science fiction of the time, but there's already something interestingly disquieting about Dick's writing style. (I've bounced off the novels of his that I've looked at, and I may like that style better in smaller doses.)

Read on Project Gutenberg.
Vanessa Wolf
Oct 15, 2013 Vanessa Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A short audio adventure, "Beyond Lies the Wub," is an interesting Dick tale. Turetsky gives a good performance with distinct inflections of voice. Recommend it for fans of Dick exploring his short stories.
Krbo
Jan 12, 2015 Krbo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hehe, genijalna minijatura starog majstora.

iznova pročitana kao rezultat nekih razgovora ovdje, a usput saznam kako je to i prva uopće objavljena Dickova priča.

Prvi puta pročitano: Sirius 24 - ožujak 1978.

Martin
Humorous sci fi short story about a spaceship crew who buy a pig like creature intending to eat it on the voyage, only to find it talks and is very intelligent. What to do, especially as they are running out of food? Funny but also disturbing.
Joseph
May 18, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another PKD short work. Interesting story with an interesting twist. The Wub is great! An excellent quick read.
Jonathan  Smith
May 10, 2012 Jonathan Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this snappy story as it had amusing characters with an equally amusing twist at the end. Recommended for a casual reading session.
Samantha
Jun 19, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A parable of vegetarianism
Cristobal
An interesting short story that would make for a great episode of Amazing Stories or Twilight Zone.
Stephen Buckley
Apr 01, 2015 Stephen Buckley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Every single story in this book could be made into a contemporary movie. And it was written back in the 50s/60s. Absolute magic.
Steven
Feb 02, 2017 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful first published Philip K Dick science fiction short story with a surprise ending that possibly inspired Douglas Adams' galaxy cow that wants to be eaten.
Emrullah Koyunlu
It was an okay story, I can say, but compared to other stories of Philip, it just fells flat in my opinion.
Ravindra Pai
May 26, 2017 Ravindra Pai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had all the ingredients of a good sci-fi story: short, asking a moral question and an unexpected ending. What if, an animal which is about to be slaughtered, had the ability to speak and also intelligent enough to conversant in history, art and philosophy. Would slaughtering of that animal still be justifiable? What an ending to the story!!!
Julie Round
Jul 23, 2017 Julie Round rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi readers.
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
I was sorry when I reached the end of these stories, although by then I was beginning to understand the author's thinking and the outcomes were not so surprising. It made me want to try a time travel story, although I'm not a scientist.
Paul Jr.
Jun 25, 2017 Paul Jr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Philip K. Dick's first published short story and a little gem it is. It does have a lot of things to say about mankind but it does so with humor and pathos and an extremely likable alien. Be careful what you wish for on your plate.
Edwin Lowe
Jun 20, 2017 Edwin Lowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read Science Friction Tale, With A Twis

A Philip K Dick Science Fiction Short Story. This story has a sort of metaphysical twist that is guaranteed to surprise! A great story that I recommend to a adult readers!
Sampreet
May 29, 2017 Sampreet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Mum's the word.
Noah Rozov
Philip K. Dick "Beyond Lies the Wub" 1952.
Catalina B
Mar 18, 2017 Catalina B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Dick, you are so sick and cruel, no more of your sad sad stories, please.
Around the Year i...: Beyond Lies the Wub, by Philip K. Dick 1 11 Mar 05, 2016 07:12AM
EDCMOOC: June's story for chat on Sat 4th July 21:30 (uk time) 2 8 Jul 04, 2015 01:09PM
  • The Tunnel Under the World
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Tales of Space and Time
  • The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story
  • 2BR02B
  • The Unveiling
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • The Shot
  • Invisible Armies
  • To-morrow
  • The Children's Story
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...

“Many men talk like philosophers and live like fools.” 14 likes