Beyond Lies the Wub

Beyond Lies the Wub

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  696 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The wub stood sagging, its great body settling slowly. It was sitting down, its eyes half shut. A few flies buzzed about its flank, and it switched its tail.

"It" sat. There was silence.

"It's a wub," Peterson said. "I got it from a native for fifty cents. He said it was a very unusual animal. Very respected."

"This? It's a pig A huge dirty pig "

"Yes sir, it's a pig. The nati...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Aegypan (first published July 1952)

Ania
Oct 20, 2012 Ania rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ania by: goodreads
I don't know about you, but I picture the wub as a big Guinea Pig. Something like this perhaps:
description

I have to say that originally I rated this story with 3 stars: enjoyable but nothing special. And then it hit me. What if the wub wasn't really a space hog? what if the space hog was just an animal that previously ATE whatever else had the wub inside it, and was taken over by it? What if the wub "individuates", as he puts it, not by leaving his group in space or time, but by leaving the group "corporal...more
Richard
Dick isn't the greatest of scribblers--characters move with thin or confounding motives at times, flat dialogue--but the situations are magnificent. A ship presumably filling its hold ark-like for a long trip picks up a wub, a filthy creature supposedly tasty but also telepathic and intelligent. From here, as they cynically say, the hilarity ensues. A quick punch in the ethical gut.
M. Özgür
Among the five stories included in this book, my favourite story is the third story "The Defenders"; Americans are fighting against Russians in a hot war, which is going on on the surface of the world via robots and the people are beneath the Earth. The end of the story is, of course not to mention, a characteristic property of a Philip K. Dick novel, very striking!

In the first story "Behind lies the Wub" (this story also names the book), Philip discusses the "discrimination" and "violence" and...more
Skyler Myers
Jan 08, 2014 Skyler Myers rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in unique sci-fi that is mixed with some philosophy
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
"Many men talk like philosophers and live like fools."

PROs:

* Original plot

* Interesting ethical ideas brought up

* Surprising twist at the end

CONs:

* Too short to really delve deeply into any ideas

* Simplistic dialogue

This is one of Phillip K. Dick's shortest short stories. It can easily be read and understood in less than thirty minutes, making it an easy and rewarding read. The plot is different from anything I've seen before and it has a good ending. I think it has breached potential.

"But would...more
Kedar
While reading this short story, my first Philip K. Dick work, this song kept playing in my mind:

Big man, pig man
Ha, ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel
Ha, ha, charade you are

- Pigs (Three Different Ones) by Pink Floyd

I was wondering if the travesty was really apt. I wondered if there was something in this story that crossed the gravitational force and escaped me. All I know is that here is a nice, short story about a wub (A rather stout, big pig-like being) that is picked up from Mars f...more
Terence Blake
"Beyond Lies the Wub" is an interesting early short story, that is richer than may seem at first glance. Mythology, religion, and philosophy form a backdrop to the story. In particular, there are references to Odysseus and to Epicureanism.

I think the Odysseus reference could be filled out in several ways. Odysseus does not rely on brute force like Achilles, but on intelligence, cunning, ruse. This is another case where we can identify the Wub with Odysseus, as against the Achilles-like Captain....more
Joe
As usual, Philip K. Dick creates a story that challenges and informs the reader, as well as entertaining them (to some degree). This particular story follows twists and turns I hardly imagined, and yet it does so completely believably, and is sufficiently well-written that the characters are very easy to relate to. At first I was skeptical that this Beyond Lies the Wub would be any good, being Dick's first story published, but it rapidly grew on me, and by the last few minutes (of the audiobook)...more
Vanessa Wolf

A short audio adventure, "Beyond Lies the Wub," is an interesting Dick tale. Turetsky gives a good performance with distinct inflections of voice. Recommend it for fans of Dick exploring his short stories.
Jonathan  Smith
I enjoyed this snappy story as it had amusing characters with an equally amusing twist at the end. Recommended for a casual reading session.
Cristobal
An interesting short story that would make for a great episode of Amazing Stories or Twilight Zone.
Dan Absalonson
This is the first story I've ever read by Philip K. Dick and now I want to read more of his work. I've always wanted to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" the book that the movie Blade Runner is based off of. But on to this story.

This short story was a really fun read. It has an interesting premise and a fun twist at the end. If you're looking for some offbeat light Sci-Fi reading check this story out. You won't be disappointed. It was very entertaining and a fun idea. You'll see what I...more
ObiWan Canubi
Sometimes you read something and you really have to let it digest before you decide whether you enjoyed it or not, Beyond Lies the Wub was just that for me.

Again a short story from the nights of our camping trip, but it required two readings. Not because it is confusing, but because I had to see if I missed something deeper than what it appeared. No, it was what I read, every word of it.

The Wub is basically a pig, a large lazy philosophical space pig who joins the crew of a space liner on a jour...more
Amy VanHym
This story may be an early one for Dick, but aside from a bit of flatness in the characters, it's impressively constructed. "Herein lies the rub," is an old phrase used to point out the core paradox of a problem. So what does "Beyond lies the wub" mean? Maybe, "Here in the wub lies the beyond," but that's nearing nonsense. I'm sure of one thing: the wub was not of its own mind.
Cyrano
Nice short story work--quick development, punchy delivery, twist at the end. And the standard Dickian examination of identity and existance.
I picked up a mess of individual short stories, and this was the first one I read. Expect more later, but probably not enough meat on them all for actual reviews.
Jason Meinig
Funny, short scifi-ish story about the interaction of a captain of a spaceship and a wub - a quirky, philosophical, pig-like creature that his crew bought on Mars. The captain sets his sights on the wub as dinner, while the telepathic Martian pig tries to talk his way out of it.
Martin
Humorous sci fi short story about a spaceship crew who buy a pig like creature intending to eat it on the voyage, only to find it talks and is very intelligent. What to do, especially as they are running out of food? Funny but also disturbing.
Daniel-san Zielinski
A short story that asks an interesting question... How hard would it actually be to kill and eat an animal if you suddenly discovered that it could communicate with you on an intellectual level? It was a quick read with a lot to think about.
Liz
A nice little short story about the Wub by Philip K. Dick. I got this story from the Project Gutenberg at www.gutenberg.net. I thought that I picked up a novel, but breezed to the end and then realized it was just a short story. I was using a different e-reader program that didn't give me total page count so I was clueless.

I have heard about Philip K. Dick but, now realized, I have not actually read any of this books...even though I thought that I finally read "Do Androids Dream of Electric She...more
Mike Walmsley
An absolute favorite. Imaginative, suspenseful, chilling and deeply poignant all in a handful of pages.
Rahul Gupta
A 5 minute read at the max, this short story is absolutely brilliant. A must read for all.
Olethros
-Introducción a los relatos de Philip K. Dick.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Primer volumen recopilatorio de la producción breve del conocido autor, centrado en 25 relatos escritos entre 1947 y 1955, presentados en orden cronológico con un prefacio del propio autor extraído de una de sus cartas, prólogo de Owen Godersky e introducción de Zelazny.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Cindy
This story demonstrates the evil in man. The ending was interesting...it could be interpreted in different ways. All in all, humans live to kill.
I gave it 3 stars because it seems like the end was rushed, and some pieces don't fit into the puzzle. Also, the names were confusing. There were several captains, but sometimes Captain was simply used to name a single character. PKD definitely has captivating ideas, but his literary merit is average.
Alan
This was an interesting short story by PKD, and my first short story read by him. It was an interesting piece of material; however, for someone reading it in the present year it may seem dull, boring and nothing new to a reader. I'm sure if i read this story in 1952 when it was first published it would be thrilling to me. PKD still rocks though and i plan on reading more novels and short stories by him.
C.S.  Ferrier
I just came across this randomly while looking for other short stories online, there was even an audio version of it. Which was quite fun.

Beyond Lies the Wub is probably my new favorite short story by Philip K. Dick. It's dastardly and humorous and of course quite silly. The quite silly is my favorite bit, Dick was an amazing writer.

Read or listen to this. It's quite funny.

Marts  (Thinker)
This is a rather interesting tale. So happens, a crew member on this ship buys an animal from a native for only 50 cents. Its strange but whats even stranger is that he talks, and hey, its no ordinary talking the thing is rather philosophical, anyway its called a Wub... and its interesting to learn what happens to him!!
TheWhistler
I find Dick's short stories so much more interesting to read and much more understandable. This was an enjoyable story, although not for those into action adventure, too contemplative. As such the story is up for interpertation by the individuale reader. There probable as many interpertatons as there are readers.
J
Short and sweet, just how I love my short stories.

Ending transition is a little awkward, you can figure out what happened but takes a moment as you are left to fill in the gap. It isn't necessary bad, just rough.

I think it would work much better as a screen play screen the way it was written.
Ralph McEwen
A good story well worth listening to. The story is told in a narrative and conversational style.

The narrator is well spoken, his voice is clear and easy to listen to.
The recording good is clean with out any background noises. There plenty of volume. The editing is seamless.
Rebecca
A sad story with a happy ending about
Government officials who to want to kill something they don't understand.
The strange Wub creature is wise and friendly so the bastards kill and eat him. Assholes!!
Come to find out... that doesn't stop the Wub :)
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Goonies
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
  • The Colors of Space
  • The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. He briefly attended the University of California, but dropped out before completing any classes. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memo...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A Scanner Darkly The Man in the High Castle Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said

“Many men talk like philosophers and live like fools.” 3 likes