Start by marking “Jinxed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jinxed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #1)

Jinxed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy #1)

Since the day beautiful socialite Afia St. John was born, her life has been plagued with bad luck. After losing her father and two older husbands in 'freak' accidents, Afia discovers her business manager has absconded with her fortune. Vowing not to rely on another man to guide her life, Afia refuses her godfathers' help, and jumps at an unexpected job with Leeds Investiga ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published March 1st 2004 by Medallion Press

To ask other readers questions about Jinxed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jinxed

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 07, 2015 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it liked it
As I expected this was light, over-the-top and fun. If lust at first sight bothers you, you won't like the story. Read it if you want something fast-paced and entertaining. Oh, and pretty unbelievable. The old cover is much better and more suitable for this story.
Jinxed
After her financial advisor steals all her money, Afia St. John gets a job as a PI assistant not knowing that her rich godfather asked the PI, Jake Leeds, to babysit her for two weeks.
She seems to be jinxed: born on Friday 13 to a mot
namericanwordcat
I was once again utterly charmed by Ciotta's writing. Romantic comedies with a hint of mad cap can so easily slip into awful. This one stayed fun and sexy all the way.

I love this kind of heroine (a little like Private Benjamin without the whine and horrible taste in men) quirky, sheltered, kind, accident prone, hard working and regaining her herself.

The hero is simply poleaxed. I love a pole axed hero. And he has cats. Great cats and an sexy PI. Yum.

The mystery is fun and gives us a good bit o
Joan Reeves
Mar 24, 2012 Joan Reeves rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Afia St. John, the heroine in JINXED, was simply delightful. She made you understand and sympathize with her fragile emotions, and she made you laugh aloud at her entrance into the working world. The perfect counterpoint to the hapless socialite was rough, tough Jake Leeds, a P.I. who ends up as Afia's employer. Their relationship just reeked of sexual tension from the get-go. This slightly different romance was amusing, sexy, romantic, and hugely enjoyable.
Heather
Aug 24, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Aria is a rich socialite who falls from grace when her accountant takes off with all of her money. Mommy is on her honeymoon with strict Do Not Disturb instructions so her godfather takes care of her by setting her up with a fake job with a PI he frequently employs and who needs the money in a bad way. No on expected Afia to love PI work and then to also fall in love with the PI. The title comes from her mothers serious superstitions which doesn't help things when Afia is born on Friday the 13th ...more
Kristina  UK
Amusing at times romance story between a ditzy and unlucky heiress and a down at heels PI. If you like romance novels that are a bit saucy then you'll probably love this.
Linda C
Sep 11, 2016 Linda C rated it really liked it
Wealthy socialite Afia St. John has just been embezzled out of her fortune by her business manager, a man recommended by her mother. Afia can't believe this has happened, another piece of bad luck. Her mother, an extremely superstitious women, believes Afia is a jinx and prone to bad luck since she was born on Friday, the 13th and has spent her life making Afia feel guilty. Since Afia's father and 2 husbands have died in the last 7 years she believes what her mother says. Afia's godfather tries ...more
Trea
I had hoped to really enjoy this book, but I was just disappointed with it. I really don't like insta-love situations, plus the character development felt forced and there was a lack of a major climax. The issues that came up weren't really issues and there was a genuine lack of consequences that just didn't make sense to me.

Afia is not a believable character, really. She is a good person, but she doesn't know anything about surviving in the world today. We are talking about someone who had acc
Nellie
Jul 26, 2015 Nellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story was interesting, but there was a homosexual relationship in the mix. Love scenes were easy to skip, for a cleaner read, but not for my teen daughter. Girl thinks she is jinxed. Everyone who loves her dies. Then she meets a P. I.
There is some language, but not much.
Stephanie Goldsmith
Fun!

I enjoyed the story and the characters very much. It was a fun and quick read. The only complaint is the main character seemed a little too naive at times, but overall I would say it is a story I would read again and will look for more from this author.
Chelsea Roque
May 10, 2015 Chelsea Roque rated it it was ok
Wow, that was just irritating. Insta-love and forced character development and just all around lack of major climax. The issues weren't really issues and there was a genuine lack of consequences that just didn't make sense to me. I thought this would be a fun read and instead I was just disappointed.
Christine Henry
May 30, 2015 Christine Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, weak ending

I fell in love with the characters. The damsel in distress and the PI. When paths cross, sparks fly. I loved how the damsel, Afia becomes the super hero of her own life and changes everything for herself.
Sara
Jun 10, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, epub
Well, this was a really good read. I liked both Jake and Afia a lot. And together were fabulous! Sparks were flying everywhere! And they were SO HOT together! Damn!
At first impact, Jake seemed a bit if a jerk but then we got to see his real self and what's inside him and he is a real keeper. Afia was a really good heroine and I liked her, well except for her superstitions. But that was her stupid mother's doings.
I liked Rudy and Jean-Pierre too. Really good friends.
I really enjoyed this book!
Davylyn Mitchell
Loved jinxed

Very good ..kept u guessing till the end..Loved the writing style. Easy beach book. Loved,the life lessons in this book
Diane ~Firefly~
I re-read this after reading the second book in the trilogy and still really enjoy it.

Poor Afia, she did seem jinxed, but that could also be that she lived her life based on what her mother and others expected from her. It was nice to see her come into her own.

Jake is practically a perfect hero. He wants to save everyone (he even has 5 stray cats) and is competent enough to make a difference.

The background characters are good as well. Rudy trying to begin a "real" relationship and Joni dealing
Monica
Oct 30, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
Very cute easy read, total RomCom.
Witchbaby
Oct 10, 2013 Witchbaby rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This book reminded me of a sweet Marilyn Monroe movie, in the very best of ways. It was sweet and cute and made me happy, even though I’m not really a fan of women who need a man to care for them.

Afia has buried her father, two husbands and has been bilked out of a small fortune – but somehow she manages to keep naiveté and sweetness. Her sweetness makes the story. I enjoyed the fast pace of the story and all the little digs at superstition.
Shelley
Totally not my thing. Liked the idea more than the execution.

____________________
Came across hundreds of saved book recs from a 2005 calendar while clearing out a box today. This one was on top and still looked good! (I'm afraid to go through the rest of them, for fear that they do, too.) They called it reminiscent of a 1930s screwball comedy, so I think it's worth tracking down.
D.S. Williams
Oct 28, 2013 D.S. Williams rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was a light, easy read, filled with humor and warmth. I loved the central characters, they were well rounded and thought out and their interactions were natural and fun. The secondary characters were also enjoyable to read. Recommended as a light-hearted and enjoyable lazy afternoon read.
Rachael
Sep 06, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: made-me-laugh
I actually bought this book in a dollar store a few years ago just for the heck of it...some of the best money I've ever spent! Great fast, fun, sexy story. You can't help but like the characters...they're so lovable. Great story and some hot scenes! Loved it!
Gayle
Jun 14, 2015 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Loved the characters and the flow of this story. Will read more Beth Ciotta.
Jayme
Dec 18, 2012 Jayme rated it really liked it
Bought this book at the dollar store the other day because the cover caught my eye! I was looking for a quick easy read and that's what I got! Interesting and to the point. Read it in one sitting.
Char
Sep 18, 2007 Char rated it really liked it
According to USA Today Bestselling Author, Nan Ryan, "The hi-jinks of Ciotta's charmingly imperfect heroine make JINXED a hip, witty, fun read!" I agree. Very fun romp . . . I adore Beth Ciotta.
Tasha Clark
Jan 14, 2016 Tasha Clark rated it really liked it
Found it totally unbelievable that the main character went from timid and scared of her own shadow to aggressive and hypersexed in less than a week. Good read, otherwise.
Alisue
Jan 01, 2014 Alisue rated it it was amazing
Super cute and really a fun read.
Sara
Aug 12, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: cute-funny-books
very cute... loved the hero but wasn't too sure about the heroine, until she redeems herself at the end (view spoiler)
Penelope Marzec
Jan 19, 2016 Penelope Marzec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Afia is simply the perfect heroine and Jake is one tough PI with a heart of gold. Once I started this book, I couldn't stop. It was heart-warming and fun.
Tabatha
Jul 11, 2010 Tabatha rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book but I feel like there were some unanswered questions in the end. Over all the characters were enjoyable and the plot interesting.
Penelope Marzec
Apr 10, 2013 Penelope Marzec rated it it was amazing
Bitch With
Jul 03, 2012 Bitch With rated it liked it
I'm not going to lie; I'm currently on a romance bender. This was a sweet, quick read. Good for a hot summer day.
Christina Boswell
Sep 29, 2012 Christina Boswell rated it it was amazing
Great fun, light read. Very funny and romantic. I really enjoyed this series!!
  • Kiss the Bride (Amour et Chocolat, #0.5)
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • The Chocolate Heart (Amour et Chocolat, #5)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet, #4)
  • Charming the Duke
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Shoreline Drive (Sanctuary Island, #2)
  • While It Was Snowing
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
  • Artistic License
  • Just My Luck (Escape to New Zealand, #5)
  • The Spanish Groom
  • Fall Into His Arms
  • Beyond Repair
  • Logan & Jenna (The Wolf's Mate, #6)
Storytelling comes naturally to award-winning author Beth Ciotta. Limiting herself to one sub-genre does not. Dubbed “fun and sexy” by Publisher’s Weekly, Beth specializes in writing Romantic Comedy with a Twist of Suspense and is published in contemporary, historical, and paranormal romantic fiction. “I can’t think of anything more fulfilling than writing stories where everyone (except the villai ...more
More about Beth Ciotta...

Friends and Lovers Trilogy (3 books)
  • Charmed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #2)
  • Seduced (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #3)

“Sometimes you have to forgive the process, knowing that the outcome is for the best.” 5 likes