Start by marking “Duck Soup” as Want to Read:
Duck Soup

Jackie Urbanovic

Duck Soup

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  534 ratings  ·  88 reviews

Max the duck is cooking up an amazing soup. But what's this? A feather floating in the soup! And where's Max? Brody the dog, Dakota the cat, and Bebe the bird race about in their hilarious search for the missing Max. But remember, sometimes things just aren't as they appear.

Published (first published January 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Duck Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck Soup

Greta
The illustrations are wonderful, but the story didn't do too much for me.
Jenifer Neilsen
Audience: primary
Genre: Fantasy (talking animals)
Golden Sower 2011 Primary Honor

Pre-reading strategy: A picture walk

This story really lends itself to making predictions through the very expressive illustrations. It has words in different text, colors and font on each page which lead the reader to thinking about what will happen next. Using a picture walk on the first pages, I would discuss the soup pot and what the steam represents. The next pages introduce the other characters and I would talk...more
Samantha Gacke
A group of animals think their friend, the duck, has fallen into the soup he was creating.

The first thing the title of this book reminded me of was when my 4th grade class read Stone Soup, and then created the soup in class. Once I started reading the book, I was then reminded of my own reactions with my mom’s cooking and the dislike of some of her creations. Duck finally created a close-to-perfect creation; he is just missing one item that he has in his garden. When his friends came in and thou...more
Maria
The main character in this book is Max the duck, who is an aspiring chef of soups. Max enjoys cooking the perfect soup and one day he decides to make the masterpiece of soups. However, upon tasting the soup he feels there is something missing from it. In search of the perfect ingredient, Max goes out into the garden to get some herbs. While out in the garden his friends come to visit. On discovering Max is not in the kitchen, they assume Max has fallen into his pot of soup that’s bubbling away o...more
Lyndsey Hurm
Duck Soup is such a cute book! It is great to use for sequencing because there are 3 main parts that are easily distinguished. I would use this in my classroom to teach beginning middle and end. A cute activity that I might do would be to bring in a cooking pot with strips of paper that have different parts of the story written on it. Then I would have one student at a time come pick a strip out of the pot and then another and another. The students would then work together to put the strips in t...more
Amber
"Give me a thumbs up if you like to eat soup. I thought many of you would say yes, I love soup too. Give me a thumbs up if you have ever had homemade soup. Mmm...soup is so good! Today I'm going to share with you a book called “Duck Soup”, written by Jackie Urbanovic." Give me a thumbs up if you have had duck soup. (Show book front and back cover) “Looking at the illustration take a few moments to think about what this book is going to tell us about “Duck Soup.” Turn to a shoulder partner and sh...more
Randie
Urbanovic, Jackie. (2008). Duck Soup. New York: HarperCollinsPublishers.

Literary Genre: Fiction (Picture Storybook)

Max is a duck who loves to cook. Max is in the kitchen working on a special soup that is sure to be a masterpiece when he notices that it is missing something. Max goes out into the garden to find an herb that will make the soup perfect. Meanwhile, his family (a lively bunch of animals) spot a “feather” in the soup and they try to save Max until Max himself interrupts them. In the e...more
Samantha Morris
Audience: Primary
Genre: Picture Book/Fantasy
Pre-reading Strategy: List-Group-Label

The List-Group-Label strategy works for this story because it has a very strict theme of cooking. Therefore if the students in the class don't know a lot about cooking, this activity will help familiarize the students with the material. This strategy also works well because it breaks down the theme into small parts and then forces the students to see commonalities and differences between all the items they have pul...more
Ashley M.
This story about a duck trying to cook the perfect soup is a great book to share with children of a young age. The cooking of the soup introduces many food names and cooking terms. The story shows throughout events in the book that friendship is more important than being the best at something. The fun pictures help explain the actions in the story with the different characters in the book. This is a cute story that can be used for many domains of learning or study units.

Learning Experience
Let yo...more
Chris
I would be inclined to recommend this book to kids ages 7-9. My 5 year old didn’t pick up on the dramatic irony and therefore didn’t get excited along with the characters. My 8 year old thought it was fun.
Elizabeth S
Even more fun than the first book, Duck at the Door. These characters are wonderful, clever, fun, and have so much depth. It is unusual for picture-book characters to be more than what is on the page, and these are. And the story is fun, too. Duck is making soup. Is that a feather in the soup? Oh, no! Where is duck? My favorite part is the realizing that a strainer is the right tool for the job.
Rachel Yingling
Duck in this story cooks soups a lot, but he decides that he wants to create his own soup recipe that will be great. He has to leave after he has started cooking to get another recipe when his friends come into the house looking for him. They think he has fallen into the soup and to save him dump the soup out. Duck is devastated that he won't be able to finish creating his soup. His friends remind him he can do it another time and that they are just glad he is safe. He agrees with them.
Emily
Audience: P-2nd grade, children who enjoy cooking, children who enjoy stories about animals.
Appeal: Kids will enjoy a silly story about Max as he attempts to cook soup. The animal characters will appeal to students who like reading about them, and students who want to try and cook on their own. Children will especially enjoy reading about Duck's friend's attempt to find him in the soup, and enjoy the silly story.

2011 Primary Golden Sower Honor Book
Jeff
Urbanovic is back with another tale of "Max" the Mallard Duck that has made himself at home in suburban household of dogs, cats, and birds. The story in this one is just bizzarre whimsy. It focuses on Max's attempt to make a soup and then his animal friends think he has cooked himself in the soup when he goes out to get herbs in the garden. Not sure what it tells us, but once again Urbanovic wins me over with her evocative and hilarious drawings.
Melanie
Readers learned in "Duck at the Door" that Max the duck had a flair for cooking. In this book, Max has decided to create his own soup. How exciting! It's close to perfect, but is still missing something. Max steps out into the herb garden to see if he can find what he's missing. While he's gone, the other animals think he has fallen into the soup and ruin the entire batch in their rescue efforts.

A hilarious read-aloud for storytimes.
Libby
My 21-mo-old son really liked this, but I didn't find it particularly amazing. A cute story about some animals who think their wannabe chef duck friend accidentally fell into his soup and end up ruining a would-be masterpiece. (is that what it's called in cooking?) But could be a good lesson in disappointment and looking on the bright side. The pictures are very cute, though, and there is a lot of emotion in the text.
Rebecca Ann
Not gonna lie, if duck had really fallen in this soup I would eat it. This story follows a duck who loves to make soup. One day he's out in the garden and leaves the soup on the stove (so unsafe), and a feather falls in. His friends think he has accidentally fallen in and they strain the soup in an effort to save him. Cute cartoon illustrations with delicious looking soup. This would be a fun storytime read for K-2!
Ina
Max the duck is back and is cooking up a pot of soup and steps out to his garden to pick some herbs. This begins a very funny chain of events resulting in pizza for dinner. This is a great read-aloud with simple text big, funny illustrations and lots of emotion. All of our friends from the "Duck" books are here in this laugh-out-loud-funny tale of well meaning friends jumping to the wrong conclusions.
Katelyn Tschida

Audience: Boys and girls -preschool to 2nd grade

Appeal: colorful, funny, unique, creative

Application: I would use it for either a lesson on food and cooking or to have the students learn to draw inferences based off of pictures in books. Also to help the students open up their minds and think outside of the box. Could a duck really make soup?

Award List: Golden Sower
Kristine
This targets a younger crowd from K-2nd grades. It could relate to the kids by no matter how hard you try, even if the finished product isn't what you wanted it to be, your effort was seen. Younger kids may imagine something better than what they have shown, but we see the effort and creativity to it. Award Nominee 2010-2011
Hannah
PB 12
This book is really cute. The illustrations are so expressive, and the story is very entertaining. The words written in color are really helpful to show the panic and enthusiasm in the plot. I can see this book being one that children would like to read repetitively and that they would be really involved in.
Brooke
Duck soup is a wonderful book intended for kids preK-probably 2nd grade. The characters are clever and witty and Max the Duck is, as always getting into more trouble as always. This book offers an underlying moral like most children's books. Max has many adventures he encounters in other books, so check them all out!
Erika Tortorice
I really enjoyed this picture storybook. It had very nice style of illustrations with the cartoon like animals. The illustrations and the theme of the story went together nicely. I loved how the characters were animals and so the assumption by the other animals that the duck was in the soup made sense.
Danielle Desmarais
I was first drawn to this book because of it illustrations. Very fun and tell a lot about the story. Would be a great read-aloud for children to ask questions about the story, the emotions of the characters, and also what the illustrations depict. Fun story about friends.

2nd grade reading level
Amanda
Fantastic! The story line of this book is endearing for any child, as well as any adult reading it aloud. I particularly love the loud expressions that each character voices during the climax of the tale. Though I could see the ending having a slightly "cuter" alternative, the book is great!
Julia
Hilarious! Duck is a soup cook and he longs to make a unique soup recipe. While he is in the garden gathering ingredients, his friends show up for dinner and freak out thinking that he has fallen into his soup and cooked himself. The freaking-out part plays out REALLY well during read-alouds :)
Curtis Edmonds
My kids think this is maybe even better than Duck at the Door, I think mostly because the animals freak out and act silly. I don't think either of them stands up well to repeat (and repeat and repeat and repeat) reading. But the drawings are big and colorful, so there's that.
Paula
It is as if you are reading about familiar characters, might be confusing for a story time
Maxwell Duck is trying to invent a soup that everyone will remember him for, but when he goes out to look for the missing ingredient and his friends show up, they think he has fallen into the soup.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I so loved the first Duck book - Duck at the Door. But this one, although there is similar warm humor, there just isn't the momentum the first story of Duck had. The illustration also seems a bit fuzzier, without giving a fluidity that sometimes the less defined lines can create.
Miss Niki
Cute story!! Good vocabulary expansion!

"P"
Initial position of words - 10 times
Medial position of words - 8 times
Final position of words - 17 times

Also targets the bilablial sounds well with the charater names of "Max", "Bebe" and "Brody".
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Big Chickens
  • Pssst!
  • Ivan the Terrier
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Don't Worry Bear
Duck at the Door Duck and Cover Sitting Duck Happy Go Ducky Do Your Ears Hang Low?