Start by marking “One World, Many Religions: The Ways We Worship” as Want to Read:
One World, Many Religions: The Ways We Worship

One World, Many Religions: The Ways We Worship

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Religious understanding is as important today than any other time in history. In this highly acclaimed book, Mary Pope Osborne introduces readers to the six major religions of the world. One World, Many Religions covers the history, beliefs, and practices of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism. All have had a deep effect on the laws a ...more
Library Binding, 96 pages
Published October 1st 1996 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about One World, Many Religions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One World, Many Religions

Beyonce King
This book focuses on the worlds main religions: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism. My favorite religion from the book is Hinduism. Hinduism wasn't founded by one person, but developed by many people over the years. Hinduism has about 750 followers and is one of the well known religions. Some of the most important gods are Vishnu, Lakshmi, and Durga. Vishnu is a king god who comes to earth in human form. Lakshmi is the goddess of wealth and good fortune acc ...more
Ariel Ortiz
This book is the second book in this text set. As pre-reading, students should discuss their understandings of religions as an ideology and quickly recap the five major religions discussed in One World Many Religions. After reading the book, students will have a basic understanding of what the main religions are and their practices. Students can then form an understanding of the history of world religions with a supplemented project in which they must research and present on the history of these ...more
Tiana
This book gives a religious view on the six major religions of the world. It covers the beliefs and practices of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Confucianism, and Taoism. The author Mary Pop Osborne goes into depth about the practices of each religion and how they practice religions in different countries all around the world. There are nice illustrations of paintings, sculptures, and significant symbols of every religion in this book. This book is great for young children and ...more
Sheena Lambert
Everyone should read this book.
It is suitable for children as young as 5 or 6 (read to by an adult) for older readers to enjoy by themselves, AND for adults like me, who just wanted to be a little less ignorant of other people's beliefs and traditions.
The best thing about this book (which outlines the seven most practised religions in the world) is that it shows us, very gently, how all our traditions and religions have a very similar basic belief - loving one another - and that the only real d
Susan
My daughter was interested in reading a book about the practices of different religions. I thought this would be a great book because it had great reviews and it was written by the author of the Magic School Bus books. However, I did not like this book. One thing that really bothered me was the fact that the author included the protestant-Christian-version of the ten commandments in the Judaism section. The author seems to be unaware that the Jewish, Catholic, and protestant religions have somew ...more
Amy
Information Book. Grades 4 and up. Published in 1996. This is an illustrated book which looks into the history and beliefs of the world’s religion. Ms. Osborne discusses Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism. The major theme of this book is obviously religion, however you can tie in geography and language arts. This could be used in history and aligning these religions to when they began. There is a map in the back of the book which shows which regions the re ...more
Adam Tuttle
A very easy read, and a decent enough summary of the most popular world religions. Still I felt it never really gave any depth at all, and I barely learned anything new, which was the whole point of reading it. To give you a sense of how little information there is, it covers 7+ major religions and their splinter groups, and each major religion gets about 8 pages, more or less.

One thing it does well is present the beliefs and values from a factual and historical viewpoint without any claims of t
Abigail
I wanted a little more detail but otherwise excellent read.
Elisabeth
I really liked the way this book was layed out. Each religion had its own chapter and the information was easy to find. I learned a lot of new things about some of the religions I feel very ignorant about. The pictures that Osborne chose to use are spectacular and accurately portray certain holidays, ceremonies and places of worship. I would recommend this simplistic explanation of our world's 6 largest religions to anyone who is looking to expand their knowledge on other culture's believes!
Jacquelyn
Beautiful color illustrations dominate the pages of this overview of contemporary world religions. Popular children’s author Mary Pope Osborne leaves her tree house to present the lessons of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism in one coffee table style volume. The detailed map of the seven major religions, the timeline, and the bibliography offer students an entertaining resolution to an assignment on religion.
Celeste
This informational read offers an insight into the various religions and ways in which individual worship around the world. The book provides a timeline of the religions, as well as a glossary for unfamiliar terms/words. This book can be used to introduce, discuss and learn about the various religions in the world.
Wade
I read this on my daughter Emma's recommendation. It is a wonderful overview of seven of the great religions of the world; Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism. Written for children but great for adults.
Diana
An exploration of six major groups of religions.

A well-written if generalized book, that treads carefully to avoid any bias or prejudice, but its very generalities diminish it as a highly regarded resource.
Ashley
This book discusses different religions around the world instead of focusing on one. I think that children need to be informed and respect others beliefs.
Amy
This book provides short yet well rounded summaries to help the reader to learn about different religions of the world. The photographs are also insightful.
Erin
Feb 25, 2009 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I heard this was a very informative book. I plan to read it myself then pass it along to my kids.
PWRL
Jan 24, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Thao
Thao marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
CrazyReader
CrazyReader marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Alexis Alcott
Alexis Alcott marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Laura Coursen
Laura Coursen marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Hothamesty
Hothamesty marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)