Start by marking “10 Mindful Minutes: Giving Our Children--And Ourselves--The Social and Emotional Skills to Reduce Stress and Anxiety for Healthier, Happy Lives” as Want to Read:

Teaching Our Children to Help Themselves Be Happy
Practical, timely, relevant, and inspiring, 10 Mindful Minutes is Goldie Hawn's gift to parents who want to help their children learn better and live happier lives.
Inspired by the revolutionary MindUP program (developed under the auspices of the Hawn Foundation), the book offers easy-to-grasp insights from current behavior
Published September 1st 2011 by Perigee Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Mindful Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Mindful Minutes

Marissa Morrison
I once toured a mansion in Rhode Island with Goldie Hawn and her family, and I was struck both by how genuine she acted and how fakey-fake she looked. Reading this book was a similar experience--the book is filled with warmth and wisdom, yet at the end there's a portrait of Hawn looking like a pouty twenty-year-old dressed for a nightclub. Aside from that weird photo, this is a great book containing thoughtful personal reflections and useful calm-down techniques that readers can share with child ...more
Emily
Jul 19, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn more about mindfulness and meditation but not really about Buddhism, then this book is a great secular introduction. I had a teacher in elementary that taught me a few simple tools for stress relief that I used throughout my life and found very helpful. Before that experience, I did not know what to do with stressful feelings. I think these tools can be very empowering for children and allow them to take more control over their emotions and physiology. This book outlines rec ...more
Nancy Wilson
Jul 22, 2012 Nancy Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would not ordinarily pick up this type of book. My mind wanders too much to meditate. I happened to catch an episode of Dr. Oz this summer and Goldie Hawn was a guest. I think she amazed me with her in depth knowledge of the human brain. Then I was ashamed of myself for equating her with the roles she plays in movies. Because the exercises in the book are designed for children I think they are basic enough that I might have some success in trying them. As she notes, even if the mind wanders of ...more
Roxanne
It is great to see the passion that Goldie Hawn has regarding our children and giving them the tools to live the happiest lives possible.

The book was not anything spectacularly new for me, rather a reminder of how much work needs to be done.

I agree with Goldie that Emotional Intelligence is essential to being able to function better in all aspects of life.

A couple of areas that always intrigue me:

1. How Sweden manages to have the brightest and happiest children (people in general) and the child
Rachel
Jul 22, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hawn suggests that focusing on a subject as simple as breath can have long term benefits for adults and children, improving ability to concentrate, control temper, calm and heal, increase awareness, stimulate the brain for learning and memory. I intend to get my boys into the daily routine of breathing for 3 minutes a day, twice a day. I keep forgetting until they're in a crisis of tempers, when its too late for practice.
Tamilyn White
Mar 12, 2013 Tamilyn White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EASY, EASY read and great, useful way to explain meditation and brain functioning to well, virtually anyone. i thought Goldie's personal recollections were a little cheesy but, well, she is Goldie Hawn and the daughter of her parents.I use this with clients of all ages often.
Andrew
Mar 03, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came into this book because my wife read it and felt like I needed to read it. Call it guilted reading, or what ever, but I had to do it. I'd feel like I wasn't being the best father I could be if I didn't at least give this a chance. I was heavy on the skepticism going in, though. Like Moulder and Scully skeptic. I mean, c'mon, Goldie Hawn! Bird on a Wire! What! You've gotta be kidding me, right? But actually, she dropped some knowledge on me. I would recommend this book to any parent, or edu ...more
Shannon Yun
Oct 08, 2013 Shannon Yun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was in such a panic about my children starting public school. Documentaries and news reports seemed to all be saying that our school system was horrific and that if I didn't get my kids into the right school at kindergarten, that was it, they were doomed for life.
I picked up this book and before I even got into the main chapters my attitude was flipped! All those months of fretting, worrying and yes, even crying into the night, evaporated.
I came away from this book feeling in control and muc
Jacob
Jul 19, 2012 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice reminder of how to be mindful and the positive effects of, well, positive emotions and actions. I'm already very aware of myself and I'm good at focusing on my current situation, so perhaps I am already "mindful". Even if I didn't need a lot of the advice or guidance in the book, however, it was a pleasant and easy read so I didn't mind. Plus there are a number of stories involving the author's significant other, Kurt Russell, whose movies I enjoy.
Holly Weiss
Dec 17, 2015 Holly Weiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was completely blown away when I heard Goldie Hawn speak about mindfulness. I think she has an exceptional understanding of how this may help children. She has a passion and a mission to help children everywhere. I hope to be able to use the skills I learned from this book to help my grandchildren. The book helped me personally as an adult in ways I never suspected. It certainly widened my perspective in positive ways.
Warren-Newport Public Library
I don't usually pick up celebrity books, but this was actually pretty good. It has practical things to do with kids to reconnect and give them ways to cope with stress and anxiety. A good reminder to turn off the screens, and focus natural discovery. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's very readable and relatable.

~ Rebekah
Grace
Jun 18, 2015 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I actually read
"10 Mindful Minutes: Giving Our Children--and Ourselves--the Social and Emotional Skills to Reduce Stress and Anxiety for Healthier, Happy Lives"
It was great 4 Stars!

Monica
Mar 07, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book last spring and summer and enjoyed it so much that I also listened to it on audio on walks as well :-)
Kayla
Jul 19, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I don't have kids, I think every parent needs to read this. This is a quick read and provided me comfort in a time of grieving.
Prati
Jun 15, 2017 Prati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind is a beautiful thing, however, it can easily be corrupted by stress, anger and anxiety. It's so important for us to have control over these emotions... Mindfulness is a great way to bring peace into your life. This book by Goldie Hawn beautifully describes how we can have better control over our mind, emotions and relationships by using mindfulness.. Though the book focuses more on parent and child relationships, I think it's an Excellent read for all!!
Becca
Jun 12, 2017 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really impressed by this book. Hawn has created a foundation that supports research on meditation for kids, and the book is a fast, easy read with lots of good activities for kids (probably best for ages 3-8) and summaries of the science on mediation. The very first day we tried it, we noticed a big difference in our stress levels and. how we related to each other, and had one of the best days we'd had in months.
Jessica Fuhrer
Somewhat helpful

The beginning of this book was really boring. It was describing how our brains work. I almost quit reading but decided to continue. The second half was good and had a lot of decent advice.
Jean
Jun 18, 2017 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to find out how much meditation and being in the moment was such an integral part of Goldie's life. This book is about teaching children how to deal with strong emotions but it is very insightful for any adult as well
Cheya
May 30, 2017 Cheya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was a little cheesy in parts, the scientific studies were very interesting. I liked the part about how to mindfully teach kids about empathy and gratitude.
Kyla Belvedere
I am really torn on what rating to give to this book...The beginning was very well written for beginners of mindfulness practices. There were also lots of practical suggestions to try. These parts I would give a 4. However, in disclosure, I did skip almost all of Hawn's memories. Those didn't ring true or relevant to me.
Karen
Mar 13, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of absent-mindedly picked this up at the library, and didn't realize until later that the author was Goldie Hawn. I have to admit I wasn't expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised! This book is very easy to read, and although some of her tips I was already familiar with, I did pick up a few new ones.
mrsrou
Oct 05, 2016 mrsrou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I thought this was a lovely and simple read. There are so many great reminders and ideas on how to step back and reflect on a situation, as well as helping children (and really...anyone!) be more present, mindful, and in tuned with themselves and others.
Emily Madill
Jul 30, 2012 Emily Madill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really believe our TV and technologically obsessed world is creating a new generation of children that are often missing out on the basics and joys of childhood. Add to that the stresses we place on ourselves and our children to keep up with status quo; and we are left with little room and freedom to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. I was fortunate to have grown up riding bikes freely, playing outside always (rain or shine) and having ample space and freedom to allow my imagination to lead ...more
Rebecca Elson
Jul 30, 2015 Rebecca Elson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-buffet
This review originally appeared on The Magical Buffet website on 7/30/15.

I’ve always liked Goldie Hawn. When I was younger I watched her on “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In”, “Private Benjamin”, “Protocol” (No, dear, I’m not a chicken; I’m an emu.), “Wildcats”, “Death Becomes Her”, and “First Wives Club”. I like that her and Kurt Russell are still together after all these years. I’m not saying I’m an expert on all things “Goldie”, I’m just saying it came as quite a surprise to find out that she’s
Tanya
May 01, 2013 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2013-books
"Stripping yourself bare and finding out what you're really made of is an important moment. Once you absorb the clarity and truth of who you are, you discover empathy and understanding to help guide your children through their own journey of self-discovery." (xx)

Hawn created the MINDUp foundation after 9/11/01 and her quest to understand the power and resiliency of the human spirit. She cares so much for the well-being of children and provided the resources for the foundation to create classroom
Mrs M J Atkins
Feb 14, 2017 Mrs M J Atkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would definitely recommend this book. Infact I think I may re-read as it was over a year ago now I read it.
Maria
Jul 30, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course I don't have children yet, but I figure being informed early is a good idea, especially since I have no idea how much time I'll have left to read later in life.

This is a great little book about how to be mindful. I think it could be termed 'living in the moment,' if you really wanted to... the idea is to breathe deeply and slowly without thinking of anything beyond your breath (though I'm sure you can add a religious aspect into it, like saying the Heart's Prayer over and over again, i
Richard Martini
Jan 08, 2015 Richard Martini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really wonderful guide to how to alter stress in your life, in your children's lives. Should be part of every school curriculum - taking "mind breaks" every day to help the mind to strengthen and grow. Also details Richard Davidson's work at the University of Wisconsin, where he proves with scientific results, how meditation can change the shape of the amygdala, how meditation can "cure or alleviate symptoms of depression." Not only in children, but also in adults. The form of meditation that he ...more
Diyana
I read this book to aid myself to be more optimistic in my daily life thus will lead to a positive parenting.

As a mother, I noticed my son is a soft-hearted boy but needs someone to guide his emotions.

This book provides practical tips on how we have to consciously create some mindful minutes as we are living in a world where constant disruptions are common : emails and other social media notifications, we are advised to be multitasker.

10 mindful minutes, to be aware of our feelings, acts and ho
Wendy
Dec 19, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written so an overwhelmed mind can read it easily, this book brings light to how the mind works and just how simple being 'mindful' can be, if you know just what to look for in yourself and others. Not spiritual, or medical, just facts with true accounts (by Goldie herself) of when mindful thinking, breathing, and overall being, have helped connect with those around her in a busy and complicated time. (there is an entire 'Mind-up' curriculum used by many schools across the U.S. I am intrigued.)

S
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents
  • US: The Art of Relationships
  • More Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
  • Staying on the Path
  • Raising a Self-Disciplined Child: Help Your Child Become More Responsible, Confident, and Resilient
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • How to Wake Up: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide to Navigating Joy and Sorrow
  • The Child Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Wake Up Now: A Guide to the Journey of Spiritual Awakening
  • Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • The Wisdom of James Allen: Five Books in One: As a Man Thinketh: The Path to Prosperity: The Mastery of Destiny: The Way of Peace: Entering the Kingdom
  • Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children
Goldie Jean Hawn is an American Academy Award-winning actress, director and producer. She is best known for starring in popular film comedies of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
More about Goldie Hawn...

“In Sweden they have a very different approach. There, preschool children are encouraged to play and relax without any structured learning for the first six years of their lives. They go for nature walks every day, even in the bitter Scandinavian winter. They are not taught to read until they are seven years of age, yet by the age of ten, Swedish children consistently lead European literacy rankings.” 2 likes
“Every day you can ask yourself, “Have I helped my children understand their gifts and talents? Did I empathize with their feelings enough? Is there something I can do or say now to help strengthen our connection?” 1 likes