Start by marking “Love Is the Drug” as Want to Read:
Love Is the Drug

Love Is the Drug

Wonderfully empathic, smartly comic, and wickedly insightful, this captivating debut novel maps the progress of an unforgettable young woman endeavoring to mend a broken heart and find salvation.

"Hello, my name is Tyler Tracer and I am falling apart. I am twenty-four years old, and I have no ability whatsoever to choose an occupation or a hair color."

Meet Tyler, the sin
Published March 1st 2005 by Washington Square Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is the Drug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is the Drug

Melissa
Jan 13, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has been in a toxic relationship
I totally related to this book. I dated a guy for six years. It was a toxic relationship... and it took me a long time to get the courage and strength to move on.

Love is the Drug takes you on one girl’s journey to find herself. Although she explains her boyfriend, David, she does so through an obscured lens- so the reader never really knows him. The boyfriend exists on a third level of character. This is done so you see only through Tyler’s perspective. The novel revolves around lists of Tyler’
Jen
Nov 21, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
i'm reading this purely based on the Roxy Music reference in the title.

alright so this was a bit tough. i had moments of completely sympathizing and loving the main character (and her lists) even if her whining was a little self indulgent. but who hasn't been there? however the last few chapters were just so unbelievable and weird, that i ended up being really disappointed. if i could, i would give this 2 1/2 stars.
Janelle
Sep 02, 2010 Janelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
Jessica Gadziala
Oh, another story about a woman in love with a man who doesn't love her back. I know, sounds overdone and cheesy and a tad bit boring. However, with Purcell's unique writing style and knack for details, this was one of the best books I have read in a long while.
We meet Tyler, an intelligent and introspective unemployed list-maker who just recently left her entire life behind to move in with a man she had fallen in love with over the internet. As it turns out, however, David is not who she expect
Christy
Jul 14, 2008 Christy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dramatic teenagers
From wrongly quoting the Saved By the Bell episode in which Jessie Spano od's on caffeine pills to the protagonist's total love of Coldplay to her complete lack of any kind of significant personal insight to the the inexplicable turnaround at the end--this book just doesn't work. It reads like a melodramatic college girl's journal. Not a precocious college student, just that boring, self-destructive girl down the hall who thought she was the first person to endure personal struggles.

I think the
Tom Hancock
Dec 23, 2010 Tom Hancock rated it liked it
I have just finished Love Is The Drug. Not a bad read. I liked the main character. And that's about all the book is about. There are plenty of lists of things. And of course lots of pop culture and music references. But the story is about the main character Tyler at twenty-four and her coming to terms with love. Or what she thinks is love. After all, she is only twenty-four.
Angela Soleno
Aug 22, 2013 Angela Soleno rated it it was amazing
Chic book!! Loved it. I remember this from it, even though I read it years ago, "I was waiting for something to happen, but it didn't.' The author fills the book with relatable quotes like that that make you want to change your situation (only if its bad or going nowhere of course).
Daniel
Jun 05, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
For a "chick book", I found myself identifying easily with Tyler and even more horrifyingly with David. I knew the blackness in Tyler that threatened to consume her and as soon as I put this book down, I knew that I wanted to make a movie based on it. One day, I hope to get the chance.
Rey Montaño
Mar 23, 2010 Rey Montaño rated it liked it
I read it years ago and loved it. I read it again about 4 years and many experiences later and related to it but didn't like it as much anymore. Probably because it brought back horrible memories, and because it was cheesy at times.
Rina
Oct 21, 2007 Rina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girls that like the "unordinirary" chick-lit
Shelves: chicklit
Beginning and end was great - smart, cute and funny. I couldn't give it more than 3 stars because the middle didn't grab me as much and I was just hoping it would get better, and it did.
Missa
Missa rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2008
Dianachristine
Dianachristine rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2010
Japzilla
Japzilla rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Jill DeLeon
Jill DeLeon rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2009
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2007
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2011
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Melissa Bolt
Melissa Bolt rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Monika Szybisty
Monika Szybisty rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Joanna
Joanna rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2010
Becky
Becky rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2010
Josette Dela cruz
Josette Dela cruz rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Lissa
Lissa rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Kristie
Kristie rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
tiffany.
tiffany. rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2008
Amy
May 30, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Funny. Good. Little bit dirty.
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
TJ
TJ rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2010
Shawna Richter
Shawna Richter rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • The Show I'll Never Forget: 50 Writers Relive Their Most Memorable Concertgoing Experience
  • A Walk with Jane Austen: A Journey into Adventure, Love, and Faith
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Life Over Easy
  • Fat Chance
  • Beautiful Blemish
Sarahbeth Purcell was born in Nashville, Tennessee, where she still resides.

Sarahbeth's novel, LOVE IS THE DRUG, was released by Atria/Simon and Schuster in hardback in 2004 and paperback in April 2005, with congratulatory review from publisher's bible "Booklist", among others.

Sarahbeth's second book, THIS IS NOT A LOVE SONG, was released in stores Nationwide by Simon and Schuster / Washington Sq
More about Sarahbeth Purcell...

“Mental imbalance is about as acceptable as herpes. It’s never going to be accepted. But really, it’s a disease just like cancer. It just happens, and eats away all the good parts of your brain, like judgment and happiness and perception and memory and life. And you can die from depression just like any other disease. And it’s not as if people choose it. So why is it still a joke of medicine? “She died of cancer.” is a lot more socially acceptable to people than “She committed suicide.” 1 likes
“I have to stop being young. I have to get jaded. I have to be cynical. I have to stop speaking. I have to be invisible. He likes things that don't really exist.” 1 likes