Start by marking “Beauty Confidential” as Want to Read:
Beauty Confidential

Beauty Confidential

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Renowned beauty expert Nadine Haobsh has the answers to the world's really BIG questions:

How much should I tip my hair stylist (and the shampoo girl and the colorist)?

How red can I go before my lips make me look too vampy?

What's the best perfume for my lifestyle?

What's the proper method for using that most important beauty accessory, the eyelash curler?

Is it ever too early
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty Confidential

Becks Fagg
My sister bought this for me at Christmas. We had a week of 2 of my sisters hanging out at my house, and we digested this book from cover to cover amid too much food, way too many late nights - and just the right amount of shopping.
I love the attitude of the author. I love honesty and humour. It is light and readable - and if you believe it all, it will have you google-ing for some interesting additions to your beauty regime.
As for me and my sisters... we swear by NARS blusher, L'oreal True Matc
Allanna
This is a nice reference, chattily-written ... I liked it.

Also nice, Nadine Haobsh refers products for every budget ... and tells what you can totally skimp on (and which products are woth the extra money).
Keris
I have to admit, I'm not a big beauty junkie, so I wasn't too excited about Nadine Haobsh's book, Beauty Confidential. I was, however, intrigued by the book's backstory - Nadine was a beauty editor about to start her dream job, when she was outed as the anonymous author of tell-all beauty blog, Jolie in NYC. The dream job offer was retracted ... after Nadine had left her current job. Fortunately, Jolie in NYC's popularity was such that Nadine got a book deal, plus the site is still going strong ...more
Rori Rischak
My copy of this book is covered with highlights, underlines, and folded down pages. I return to it periodically when I'm wondering if I'm exfoliating often enough, if I should continue to thread my eyebrows instead of wax them, and if I need a recommendation for blush because mine just isn't showing up on my face properly.

I grew up with a mother who was not at all vain, and as a result, I had to learn on my own that you don't brush curly hair, that an eyelash curler is only for the top lashes, t
Stacey Brough
Have you ever wondered what designers were thinking about make-up, fashion and the stupid designs that come down a runway that NONE of us want to wear, nor even be subjected too!

But, have you always wanted to know the "in's" like how to get by not washing your hair an extra day without it looking greasey, flat, or being put in a ponytail! Than this is the best beauty, truely useful book I have ever read.

A fun trilling read, about the TRUTH! Which cheap cosmetics work like the exspensive stuff.
Sophie
Honestly, this was a bit of a letdown, especially after reading all the really positive reviews. First off, I didn't *really* enjoy Haobsh's über-informal voice; it felt like she had copied and pasted from her blog. Also, I felt like she writes a lot of fluff without much substance to back it up. It was more obvious in some sections than others, but she'd start with the amazing claim that she had the amazing secret to eliminate X, tell a long, almost funny personal story about the dozen ways not ...more
Kelly
Every girl has to admit that there is something fun about makeup (even if you wear little make to none at all). Nadine Haobush does a great job sorting out truth from fact and you can definitely trust her since she used to be a beauty editor until her demise over her anonymous blog her bosses weren't so happy about. It's an enjoyable read and I really reccommend it to everyone because you're bound to learn something new about make-up, hair, or the beauty industry.
Nadine is a great writer with a relaxed, funny style, making her list of recommendations fun and easy to read. For everyone who ever stared at a shelf of beauty products and felt overwhelmed, this is an excellent book to point you in the right direction. Not to mention it's a blast to read. One warning, though, she does occasionally recommend items that are unhealthy, so cross check anything you are interested in with http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ to be safe.
Anna Jaworski
I'm a late bloomer when it comes to fashion and style. I really found this book entertaining and informative. It made me want to run out and buy some products right away! In fact, thanks to the Internet, I was able to find some bargains online and I haven't been disappointed with any of the advice given which I've followed.
This is to hair, skin, and make-up what Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style is to clothing and style.

Cute and fun read. Has me re-thinking some beauty routines (can it really be that simple???) and still appalled at others. (botox? no thank you!)
Angela
So many secrets, so little time. This book is packed with the truth about the beauty industry and the products society is consumed by. I found many of the reviews helpful.
Nakeita
I enjoyed the book. I was a late bloomer in terms of using making and skin care so this book really explained a few things for me. I would say it's a nice to know kind of thing.
Elizabeth
A lot of really great advice about beauty and the beauty industry - I've been a long time reader of the author's blog, and she's really honest and well-informed.
Janet
My friend Nadine wrote this!!!!!

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. But I must wait 'til I have the dough. Any day now. I'm so proud!
Hadley
Feb 29, 2008 Hadley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hadley by: Amy
This book is really fun!!! And....You will actually use the advice. The product info guide at the end of each chapter is also helpful.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book is good for the basics. If you can get this book used its a great deal. I got this for a penny on amazon.
Soapykitty
Packed full of great advice and I love her light writing style.Just wish there were some pictures.
Ayu
Not a fan of the author's writing style, but the book does contain some useful information.
Cassie
I have already used some of her suggestions and loaned it out.
Bally Baji
Bally Baji is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2015
Briggy
Briggy marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Sakshi
Sakshi marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Ayesha Khan
Ayesha Khan marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood
  • A Primer of Jungian Psychology
  • Bobbi Brown Beauty Evolution: A Guide to a Lifetime of Beauty
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • The Truth about Beauty: Transform Your Looks and Your Life from the Inside Out
  • Poetry as Survival
  • Bodies out of Bounds: Fatness and Transgression
  • Love Cake
  • I Have Nothing To Wear!: A Painless 12-Step Program to Declutter Your Life So You Never Have to Say This Again!
  • Ballad Divine: Bhagavad-Gita