Midnight Fear

Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  64 reviews
"I trusted you, Caity"The still of the night is once again shattered by Caitlyn Cahill's recurring nightmare--her brother standing before her, gripping a butcher knife, his eyes black with hatred. Two years ago, the former Washington, D.C., socialite defied her powerful senator father and risked the ruin of her family by helping the FBI link her troubled brother to a strin...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Jae
If you were expecting a chilling and intricate plots, this book delivered absolutely that and then some. From the beginning the story just pulled me in starting with the slaying of a woman which became the pinnacle of the whole book.

But I must mention that I kinda felt disappointed with the romance part of the story. Reid was all hot and cold towards Caitlyn through out the first 60% of the book. He was without compassion at times, he just drove me crazy. I like my FBI agent all hot and studly....more
Meigan
I liked this one better than the first one in the trilogy (Midnight Caller). It was more of an original storyline, the characters were well thought out, and I found myself really enjoying watching the story play out. I wasn't able to figure out who the killer was, which is always a plus, and there wasn't much about the story I didn't enjoy. Although I must say, I was more interested in Reid and his MRI's and prognosis than I was with the relationship between Caitlyn and Reid. Together, they were...more
Sian
Caitlyn..sister of notorious serial killer Joshua Cahill. She lost her entire family when she found the crucial evidence to convict her brother for murder. During the case she has a connection with Agent Reid Novak but its another 2 years before they do anything with that connection. And only then as it looks like there is a copycat killer and his target is her.

I really liked Caitlyn, she was gutsy, smart and brave. She was otrasized for helping convict her brother, hounded by the press, and all...more
Ami
3.85 stars rounded up

Second book in the series and it took me WEEKS to finish. I can't say that it's the book's fault. I was experiencing book slump where all stories just can't interest me.

Story wise, I think this one was better than book #1 Midnight Caller. Ms. Tentler provided several red herrings and kept the identity of the real copycat killer until later in the game (unlike book #1 where she revealed it a bit earlier). It was quite a surprise too, someone that readers might not guess in t...more
AvidReader47
Midnight Fear by Leslie Tentler was such a thrill to read I'm sad to see it end. Caitlyn Cahill retreats to her horse ranch, Rambling Rose, to escape the devastation from turning in her brother to police. Joshua Cahill (dubbed the Capital Killer) is now incarcerated for killing numerous women or is he? Copycat murders start to happen in the Washington, DC area as the killer left chess pawns on his victims. The original agent from the case, Reid Novak, is back to investigate, and hopes to get bac...more
Erika  Badass
It was a great suspense thriller with a side of romance.

Reid Novak is an FBI Profiler, and on the hunt for a serial killer. We open the novel with a standoff between Killer and FBI and what happens haunts Reid in the future. Setting things in motion.
I liked Reid, but he was too hot and cold at times. Although it fit with his life and job.

Caitlyn Cahill is the sister of the serial killer. She loses not only her family, friends, and her fiancee, but her identity. She is working on rebuilding her...more
Tracy
~* 4.25 Stars *~
Solid, Surprising, and Chilling

Two years ago, serial killer Joshua Cahill was convicted of raping, torturing, and killing six young women. The case was brutal on FBI Special Agent Reid Novak, but for one young woman who bore a startling physical resemblance to the killer's victims, it altered her life forever. She is the reason Joshua's reign of terror ended. She provided the evidence of his heinous crimes to Agent Novak.

In the furor following his trial, her father died, her moth...more
readinghearts (Lyn M)
Jul 14, 2011 readinghearts (Lyn M) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: thriller readers
Recommended to readinghearts (Lyn M) by: Naomi
I read the first book by this debut author just last month, and really enjoyed it. Therefore, when I got the chance to read this one I jumped at it. I was anticipating another good mystery along the lines of the first book in the series. What I got, however, was an even better book than Midnight Caller. In the time that has passed between the writing of her first book and this one, the author has certainly honed her craft. This second book of the series had a more exciting story line with a myri...more
Saturnus
Två år tidigare hittade Caitlyn Cahill det ultimata beviset för att hennes bror Joshua var en seriemördare, vilket satte honom bakom galler.
Hennes pappa, som var Washington-senatorn dog av sorgen. Hennes mamma sattes in på mentalsjukhus.
Caitlyn själv flydde till landet och började med häst- terapi för barn.

Nu försöker en copycat väcka liv i den gamla utredningen, med början att mörda,våldta och tortera 2 kvinnor på samma sätt som Joshua brukade göra.
Han lämnar en hälsning till Caitlyn i form...more
Nell
Agein, the author did an excellent job with the characters and story. I liked all the add-ins she put into the story to make it heartfelt and full of hope and love. While they're in the middle of an investigation, the FBI agent is concerned with his health and the woman he cares about. The female lead character is trying to be strong. She's a fighter and a survivor. Both of the lead characters were very well developed and wonderful to get to know. When I found out who the killer was, I just shoo...more
Tome
Midnight Fear is Leslie Tentler’s second novel and follows Agent Novak’s dangerous job to catch a copycat killer before he kills the ex-socialite Caitlyn Cahill.

The book starts with a bang – or more accurately a murder and does not slow down after that. The plot is complex and in places very chilling, although the characterisation, particularly of Novak is at times a bit hit and miss, perhaps a bit 2D for my liking.

I didn’t realise that this was a romantic suspense until I started reading, this...more
Darla Stokes
This is really a standard romantic suspense, and kind of why I've backed away from the genre. I mean, how many serial killers can you have? And does every single cop/FBI agent/whatever get so easily sidetracked from tracking down serial killers whenever they see someone they're sexually attracted to?

The romance in this book seemed especially forced. The heroine is the sister of an imprisoned serial killer--they're both adopted, so there aren't any icky genetic questions--and now a copycat kille...more
Che'rei Holley
Midnight Fear is another excellent murder mystery/romance. The book starts of with immediate action and intrigue and never slows down. Following the case of a serial killer and the romance of two who should not be together due to the circumstances was a thrilling ride!! I highly recommend this book!
This is the second book of Leslie Tentler that I have read and I am sure the read ALL of her books in the future. She is excellent! I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads
Kerry  sullivan
OH WOW this is a fantastic thriller, there is so much going on in it my head was spinning but it made it all the more believable. This book is 425 pages of suspenseful magic I didn't see who the copy cat was until just before Caitlyn found out. Once I found out who it was I was not disappointed either it made a macabre sense the it would be him. This story is masterfully done and a must read for thriller fans I will be recommending this book to every one I know!!!
Sandhya
Leslie Tentler rocks!! This is her second book i have read....its fabulous!!
I liked it for its fast-paced suspense thriller plot. i thought it was a interesting plot with the serial killer being the female protagonist's own brother.

Read my full review:
Lisa
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is the second in a trilogy by this author, but one book really has nothing to do with the other. While the book followed the same predictable pattern of other books in this genre, there were some test plot twists that i never saw coming. Enjoyed both lead characters and their chemistry together.
Jolene
Wow... okay so I was wrong initially...then clued in and was shocked and disappointed honestly.not in the book but in who it was. it made more sense to me for it to be Rob. I didn't really see the sense for it to be Mitch at the end...but that's what made it good I guess.
Phyllis
This book was great!! Better than the 1st. Can't wait to read the 3rd. This book kept me guessing, everytime I thought I had it figured out something else would happen. Her books rank up there with Karin Slaughter and Lisa Gardner.
Cheryl
My problem is I knew who did it by the end of chapter 2. I love the people, the lives she weaves, but I hate it when I know "who done it" early on.
I loved this book. It kept me guessing to the end which it what it take for me to fall in love with a book these days. Great read.
♥ Nell ♥
I loved this book. I didn't suspect who the killer was until the very end... I loved the characters.
Steffi
AMAZING!!! Leslie Tentler just became my new go-to author for thrilling RS. Review to come
Eva
Started out a little slow for me... but picked up and I ended up really enjoying it.
Ronda
was very good, once I started it, it was hard to put down!
Leeanne
Love the mystery and romance nice mix of both...
Jennie
exciting, suspenseful thriller!
Maggie
This is Leslie Tentlers second book with the FBI. I very much enjoyed first book "Midnight Caller" and this second "Midnight Fear" just as good if not better. She writes first-class romantic suspense novels.
I could go on forever giving review about this book. It had alot of events in the novel that made it very realistic, the romance between Caitlyn and Reid was slow which made it more true. The pain Caitlyn goes through with her family, what her brother did and with what happened to her mother....more
Misty
The still of the night is once again shattered by Caitlyn Cahill's recurring nightmare—her brother standing before her, gripping a butcher knife, his eyes black with hatred. Two years ago, the former Washington, D.C., socialite defied her powerful senator father and risked the ruin of her family by helping the FBI link her troubled brother to a string of horrific murders. "The Capital Killer" was sent to prison for life…and Caitlyn's entire world fell apart.
Now, FBI agent Reid Novak is forced to...more
Starr Reina
One would think having a brother turn out to be a serial killer, who murdered several women in some of the most appalling ways, would be enough for one person to endure. That’s what happened in “Midnight Caller.” But for Caitlyn Cahill, it doesn’t end there. In this newest novel of her trilogy “Midnight Fear,” Tentler brings the reader through another horrendous nightmare as a copycat tries to finish what Caitlyn’s brother Joshua started—and Caitlyn is the prime star of his fantasies. But FBI Ag...more
Sisterhood of the...: Midnight Fear by Leslie Tentler 20 25 May 03, 2013 09:34PM
  • In Close (Bulletproof, #3)
  • Hold Me
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Snapped (Tracers #4)
  • If I Should Die (Lucy Kincaid #3)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )
  • Risking Trust (Private Protectors, #1)
  • Sweet Justice (Last Chance Rescue, #7)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
Novelist Leslie Tentler worked in public relations as a writer and editor for nearly two decades before deciding to pursue her love of writing fiction. Her first manuscript won multiple Romance Writers of America chapter contest awards, including the prestigious Maggie Award of Excellence.

Leslie is a native of Kingsport, Tennessee. Growing up, she was an avid reader, first of Nancy Drew novels and...more
More about Leslie Tentler...
Midnight Caller (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #1) Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3) Midnight Caller (The Chasing Evil Trilogy - Book 1) Dans les pas de l'assassin Der Preis des Verrats (German Edition)