Start by marking “Calvin And Hobbes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Calvin And Hobbes

Bill Watterson

Calvin And Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  88,231 ratings  ·  495 reviews
A collection of comic strips following the adventures of Calvin and his stuffed tiger Hobbes.
127 pages
Published 1987 by Trumpet Club

To ask other readers questions about Calvin And Hobbes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calvin And Hobbes

Prashant
This is what I got in my mail box to cheer me up while I used to study late in the winter.

Too stressed with your schedule and cold??

Have a Calvin break

Shayantani Das
description

Who doesn’t love Calvin, the over imaginative, mischievous child, with his imaginary tiger friends Hobbes? His antics drive his parents to the brink of insanity and he loves pondering about his Captain Spiff fantasies during class. He is always either making excuses for not having the healthy (read: disgusting) food he has been served, or advocating children’s right to vote in crucial decision like bed time hours, or irritating his friends Susie.

Every page is funnier than the last one and the il
mina
Love it love it love it!
One of the best comics ever!
Although it's just another story about a super hyperactive small boy and his imaginary friend, you love Calvin so much because of his hilarious "know-it-all" comments. He trashed through house, to the point that his parents hoped that they had dachsund instead.

(Heard from the doctor's examination room):
Calvin: "Hey, doc, why are you rubbing my arm with cotton? Are you going to put a leech there? ... Are you going to bleed me? You're not going
Dee
Aug 24, 2011 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-reads, favourites
Love, love, LOVE this cartoon! Especially love Calvin's dad and his explanations!! Oh, and Hobbes when he gets on the subject of girls. <3
Daniel
Iskreno ne znam nikoga ko je uspeo na bolji i zabavniji nacin da prikaze psihu malog hiperaktivnog klinca bolje nego Vareson. Svaka cast.

Plus razasuto kroz celu knjigu ima i dosta interesantnih pitanja kao i konstatacija koje stvarno navode na razmisljanje.

Preporuka.
Julia
I think Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic of all time. I'm sure you've all heard of this, because Calvin and Hobbes has been around for a very long time. But for those who haven't read it, I say pick that comic book up right now! This book is comic strips about a six year old who hates school, homework, baths, his "evil" baby sitter, Rosalyn, and food his mother makes. Calvin's friend, Hobbes, is a stuffed tiger that comes to life when nobody is around except Calvin. His next door neighbor and ...more
Ray Smith
Calvin and Hobbes became a favorite of mine back in the mid 80s. In black and white on the pages of the Indianapolis Star I followed the young boy - Calvin - an imaginative (understatement) 1st grader, and his often times alive, sometimes stuffed-tiger sidekick Hobbes, who very often was Calvin's conscience (yes, rarely listened to!).

Many of us can relate to the story of a young boy and his favorite stuffed animal going to far away worlds on other planets, to prehistoric earth, or just being a
Vanessa
I'm a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes, and the first edition of the collections was no different. If ever I need to feel uplifted, and have a little chuckle to myself, then I can just go back to the child tearaway that is Calvin, and the imaginary friend I always wished I'd had that is Hobbes. My favourite cartoon series of all time, and a delightful first collection.
Ruel
It's been years since I've read any of the Calvin and Hobbes comics and when I stumbled across this first volume at the library, I couldn't help devouring it in one sitting. This book serves as an excellent reminder of why Calvin and Hobbes was so popular in its day and why it is so revered now: Bill Watterson created a brilliant and charming character in six-year-old Calvin. The little boy is hilarious and adorable, especially when his stuffed tiger Hobbes comes to life. Whether sledding in the ...more
Faith
Sep 18, 2008 Faith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humour
Recommended to Faith by: My dad
Shelves: favorites
Oh wow. I think these books might be longest-loved on my favorites list. My dad read these a long long time ago and gave them to me to read, I might have been six.
I liked these books at first, but now I love them. I must have memorized a full book's worth of comic strips and was very disappointed when they stopped being in the newspaper comic strip section! They're funny, sweet, and evil. Calvin's morbid sense of humor and wide vocabulary and mature way of thinking mixed with his slight little-
orsodimondo
SCUSATE IL RITARDO
CALVIN AND HOBBES è geniale.
Finora avevo letto poche strisce sui giornali americani e questo è il primo volume che mi godo: da qui la richiesta di scuse per il ritardo. Ma farò ammenda, ne leggerò presto altri.

Mi piace tutto: il disegno, il testo, i personaggi, le strisce di lunghezza normale e quelle che durano una pagina intera.
E' irriverente come devono essere i fumetti di valore.
E' divertente, anzi spassoso.
Rispetto ai mitici meravigliosi Peanuts, aggiunge il mondo degl
Summer the bummer
THIS IS THE CUTEST BOOK EVER.

I remember reading this book back when I was younger, and to this day, I stand by the belief that this book is utterly and undeniably ADORABLE. Not only it is cute, it's also hilarious, always managing to put a smile on my face.

I am not that into comic books, but this book exposed me to the world of comics, a genre I would not have ventured into if not for Calvin and Hobbes. I recommend this book to readers of all ages, as this book is in no way exclusive to one age
Staci
This book belongs to my son Marc. He left this on the stairs and needless to say I picked it up and started reading it. Couldn't stop!! I loved Calvin and Hobbes when I was a teen. Marc has loved it since I can remember. No wonder....he is Calvin!!!! I laughed out loud so many times and that is because 20 years ago I read it and saw the world from Calvin's eyes. Now I'm reading it and sympathizing with Calvin's parents!!! Everyone needs a good dose of laughter. Read this, it won't disappoint!
sologdin
paradigmatic trenchcoat mafia type has psychotic fantasies, wars against the cool kids, and engages in reckless recreations.
Erin W
I loved Calvin and Hobbes when I was a child. There was a simple, sharp sense of humor--a kind of smart-silly--that spoke to my temperament. I will never forget the paroxysms of laughter that struck me at about ten years old, reading the strip where Calvin sneezes explosively into a hanky, then peeks at it and declares "Whew. No brains." (That one is not in this book unfortunately. But it will forever be my definitive Calvin & Hobbes moment.)

If life gets too boring for Calvin, he imagines hi
Sarah Schanze
I've always been meaning to read some Calvin and Hobbes, since everyone in the comicking world raves about it. By happenstance I got hold of this particular edition of certain strips and finally got to reading. I liked it, but I didn't feel anything much more than I feel reading a regular newspaper strip now. I guess I prefer a linear story more than just four panel gag strips. Calvin jumped around from feeling like a genuine kid with his daydreams to being a bit too modern with his wisecracks. ...more
Anya
You know a book(s) has completely won you over when you wake up dreaming about incredibly bizarre stuff in comic strip panel format. (I think this was my brain's failed attempt at a Saga and Calvin and Hobbes mash up. But ho hum, I woke up all blisteringly cheery and annoying in the morning despite my impending doom otherwise known as Computer Science practical exam. xD Yeah, I know. I suck at coding.)
Valerie
The first collection. With an introduction by Garry Trudeau. I have to say I don't tend to to like introductions that start by badmouthing other authors' work. This isn't so bad--the introduction to the Doonesbury Chronicles is much worse, badmouthing classics like Peanuts and Pogo.

I'm not saying Watterson's work is not very good. Among the best, indeed. Just that one needn't belittle others to claim status for the best. Someone once commented (after Amadeus came out) that we tend to think that
Logan
Logan carries around his best stuffed friend, Cuddles, who is a white tiger, so he and Calvin have something in common. Some of the stuff went over Logan's head and I had to explain it, but overall, lots of laughs. Logan's never been to school, so there was some unfamiliar territory there, but he watches Johnny Test, which has clued him in to all the school talk and the issues with school, so he gets why Calvin hates school. He knows what it means to be called to the principal, to be scolded for ...more
Kristin Curtis
Calvin and Hobbes is a comic book about an eccentric and sometimes morbid 6-year-old name Calvin. Calvin catches a tiger in his tiger trap and names him Hobbes. The two quickly become best friends. Calvin sees Hobbes as a real tiger while everyone else sees a stuffed animal that Calvin talks to and takes with him everywhere. They get into mischief and are constantly harassing Calvin's parents and teachers and babysitter. Calvin's imagination takes them on many grand adventures together.

I love Ca
Taddow
I just love Calvin and Hobbes!! I have fond memories from my childhood reading these over and over again and they never got boring. Something as simple as a child, his stuffed tiger and his imagination was always enough to bring a smile to my face.
Mark
The first collection, this begins with Calvin going on a tiger hunt and using tuna sandwiches as lure. Having read most of the later books, this makes for interesting reading as Watterson settles into his style and rhythms and Calvin ‘s facial features gradually blend into his more recognisable version. Great fun, with all of the main characters introduced (including Roslyn), the stand-out strip this time around is probably the Christmas one. Calvin realises, with horror, that he hasn’t even mad ...more
Shad
this book is intensely funny and classic if you read it you wont want to put it down

I LLOOVVEE TTHHIIISS BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lora
Does it get better than Calvin and Hobbes?
Peter R.

Calvin and Hobbes is amazing.

My review for this book is a review for the whole series. AMAZING. Even the way the comic started, the very first strip when Calvin said he was going to trap a tiger with tuna, was really good. Nothing is better than reading Calvin and Hobbes while laying on the couch, on a rainy day.

Calvin and Hobbes is fun. This makes reading fun. I am always trying to find an excuse to read these books during my free time in class, and my friend is always trying to take it from me
Caleb Peiffer
I was raised on Calvin and Hobbes, but my family only ever owned five of the collections, and so I have never read over half of Watterson's comics. Now I'm enjoying the immense pleasure of rediscovering the comic series in the six collections I have never read before. This is the first collection and so some of Watterson's earliest work. Unless it's just the novelty, I feel like the comics here are a mixture of his best and worst (as "worst" as Calvin and Hobbes gets, that is). Like any artist, ...more
Maxwell
Feeling down or under the weather? Been depressed and back again? Well, the antics of a 1st grader with lots of imagination and his "stuffed tiger" Hobbes, is sure to get your spirits up. Funny comics designed for the sole purpose of making you laugh your guts out are right where you want them in this big collection of laughs. Great book for anyone 7+ with a sense of humor. Get ready for a whole lotta fun!
Becky
I don’t know if a family, much less a childhood, without Calvin and Hobbes would be complete. Frankly, once it stopped being published, my newspaper readership dropped off significantly. Everyone needs to smile, needs a little imagination in their life, and needs a little bit of Calvin and Hobbes.

And if anyone is up for a game of Calvinball, just give me a call.
Gary Butler
41st book read in 2012.

Number 183 out of 273 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Indonesians Who L...: Calvin and Hobbes 5 34 Mar 15, 2015 12:41AM
this is the funniest comic i ever read 24 103 Jan 05, 2015 10:23PM
High Art? 5 64 Feb 27, 2014 10:28PM
just put funny random stuff 4 41 Jun 12, 2012 12:33PM
  • The Far Side Gallery 3
  • Bloom County Loose Tails
  • FoxTrot: The Works
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes: Something Under the Bed is Drooling
  • Calvin and Hobbes: Yukon Ho!
  • Calvin and Hobbes: Weirdos from Another Planet!
  • Calvin and Hobbes: The Revenge of the Baby-Sat
  • Calvin and Hobbes: Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"
  • Calvin and Hobbes: Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
  • The Days Are Just Packed: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Calvin and Hobbes: Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat
  • Calvin and Hobbes: There's Treasure Everywhere
  • Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World
The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book

“People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.” 102 likes
“Hey Dad, will you buy me a flame thrower?

Of course not. Don't be silly.

Even if I didn't use it in the house?”
95 likes