Hidden Summit (Virgin River, #17)

Hidden Summit (Virgin River #17)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  5,024 ratings  ·  339 reviews
Sick of running into her cheery ex-husband and his new wife, Leslie Petruso accepts a job at the Virgin River branch of Haggerty Construction and takes the high road right out of town. Now she's got Paul Haggerty's business running like a well-oiled machine. In fact, things are so busy Paul jumps at the chance to hire an extra set of hands.

Just like Leslie,...more
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Mira (first published December 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Summit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Summit

Easy by Tammara WebberAbout That Night by Julie JamesOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungSlammed by Colleen HooverBared to You by Sylvia Day
2012 Contemporary Romance Novels
53rd out of 222 books — 1,095 voters
A Heart For The Ocean by Taylor LakkeMountain Angel by Suzie O'ConnellHome Again by Donna B. McNicolSpring Argyle by Christine CunninghamSummer Angel by Suzie O'Connell
Best Small Town Romance
19th out of 214 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡
4+ stars. I love the Virgin River series, the stories work for me on so many levels. While each book has a unique hero and heroine, and some are more entertaining than others, we can always count on visiting with many of the town folks from previous books, hanging out at Jack’s bar, and seeing what Preacher is cooking for dinner. I honestly feel like the main characters are real, three-dimensional people that I consider friends. Crazy, I know, but I think that is what appeals so many readers to...more
Shawna
4 ½ stars – Contemporary Romance

This is a great addition to the Virgin River series. I really enjoyed the romance between Conner and Leslie, and the inclusion of several key players, including Jack, Brie, Mike, Paul, Preacher, and Dan, as well as some new characters, showcased some of the strengths that have made this such a great, longstanding series. I’m looking forward to Katie’s story next in Redwood Bend, and I have high hopes for Nora finding her HEA in Sunrise Point.
Karla
4.5 stars. Loved it! Classic Virgin River, and not only to we get a few new fantastic characters, we had plenty of our old favorites, most notably…Jack! I really enjoyed the relationship that developed between Connor and Leslie. They had similar history with exes and therefore they related to each other very well. Leslie was funny, determined and wicked with a fire extinguisher, had no fear taking matters into her own hands. Connor had it for her bad and he heated up the sheets with her pretty q...more
Auntee
Not one of RC's standouts, but still very entertaining with some hot moments and a little suspense. Two new and very likable characters come to Virgin River, each have had life changing experiences, and manage to fall in love. Expect to see Jack, Preacher, Brie, Mike, Dan Brady---even Noah...all the usual suspects (but no Mel). Full review closer to release date.
KatLynne
Another great addition to the Virgin River series. I enjoyed the newcomers Conner & Leslie's story. There was sizzling steam between these two and my only complaint was the quick ending.

As always when I finish a VR read, I find myself wanting to visit and stay awhile with these old friends:)

Thank you Robyn Carr for the mention of a very serious and deadly food allergy, peanuts. I lived my life unaware of the dangers of food allergies. I had no idea what families suffered and endured. Now,...more
Beanbag Love
Not bad. Between 3.5 and 4.0, I think. This was the second book in the Virgin River series in a row that Carr has focused almost solely on the main couple. Unfortunately I felt that it caused some padding in the form of repetition in this case. The characters kept telling the same information over and over. To different people, of course, but it was still the same thing being played out again and again. We actually could have used a couple of side stories in this one.

But I loved Connor and Lesl...more
Lea
As a favor to her friend and colleague Max, a Sacramento District Attorney, Brie Valenzuela, arranges lodging and a job in Virgin River for Conner Danson, a witness who needs to be hidden. Conner saw a high-profile and well known businessman shoot another man and stash the body in the dumpster behind his hardware store. Conner’s store was subsequently burned to the ground and his life threatened. He needs protection and refuge until he can testify at the bad guy’s trial. Robyn Carr ramps up the...more
Darcy
I will admit that I went into this one a little leery. The main couple of the book were people that we haven't meet before and in past books those haven't always been my favorites of the series. I think because they seem like such outsiders and we don't get to see the past characters that I have grown to love. But those favorite characters really helped the story line and the characters blend into the community.

I felt so sorry for Connor, he tried to do the right thing and got is life taken away...more
Brie C.
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

To me the Virgin River books are a bit like comfort food, you know what you are going to get, they make you feel good and you always come back for more. This is the 17th book in the series but Robyn has reinvented it by infusing it with new characters, which allows new readers to jump right in, even if you haven’t read the other books.

Hidden Summit is the story of Conner Danson. After an unfortunate event where he ended up the only witness of a murde...more
Alicia
Having never read any of Carr’s previous Virgin River books, I had no expectations coming into this one. I was enjoying this book up until Carr used the term mustache ride and tried to make it sound sexy. That pretty much traumatized me….and made me laugh. This is probably because I find mustaches super creepy.

Ignoring that part, I could have done without Leslie and Conner. I think it would have been more interesting to follow Conner through the investigation. The investigation wasn’t portrayed...more
Susan
Very good book. When he came to Virgin River to wait to testify, Connor was so angry at everything that had happened to him. Leslie was happy to be there because it got her away from her ex. Connor went to work for Paul and rediscovered his love of working with his hands. He also started to get to know Leslie. She found that the more time she spent in Virgin River the more of her old self she got back. Her self-esteem had been very low thanks to her ex. There were several times he showed up in V...more
Splage
I just love this series, it is like comfort food for me. Hidden Summit just moseyed along, nothing earth shattering, but it wasn't boring. I haven't read a bad book in this series, they are all just so cozy and good. I have noticed in the last 4 books that they are starting to get a little more tame with simpler story lines as the series goes on, but tame is still good when it comes to VR.

I thought the H&h were good people that you could identify with, both came from bad relationships and a...more
Regina
3.5 Stars. This book is good solid fun. Fans of the Virgin River series will enjoy it and I do believe that even if a reader has never picked up one of the Virgin River books before, Hidden Summit can be read as a stand alone. However, having said that, readers committed to the timeline in Virgin River likely want to stick to the path of reading the books in order as there are changes in characters’ lives throughout the series.

Hidden Summit introduces several new characters to the Virgin River...more
Christa
This book was a delightful addition to the Virgin River series. As always, it was wonderful to have glimpes into the beloved characters of the previous books in the series. The two main characters in Hidden Summit were both likeable and had me rooting for them from the beginning. The storyline was interesting and entertaining, and I'm so glad that Netgalley gave me the opportunity to read and review this one.

Leslie Petruso is trying to recover from the breakup of her marriage, and is not success...more
Krista
Sadly, this was my least favorite Virgin River book. The writing was so jagged and rough it was hard to keep track of transitions. There were so many transitions that I just had to laugh at. They were absurd. The hero says something like "let's go be romantic" to the heroine, and the heroine says, "Let's have fruit and waffles for breakfast tomorrow." Seriously?

I wasn't really fond of the hero either. He came off as rude and angry in the first chapter, then as kind of a big lug dumb constructio...more
Honeywell
Can stand alone
A refreshing addition to the series that introduces two new characters to Virgin River. The story didn't seem to be as weighted with all of the babies and characters from the previous books. And I actually liked this book more because the focus seemed to be on the new characters (mostly sequel bait I'm guessing) instead of the old--which seems weird considering I liked all the previous books and couples.

If you're new to the series (and aren't crazy obsessive about reading a serie...more
K.
Gotta love RC! I won't go into it, as there are a lot of great reviews already on this book (not to mention I only have my iPhone right now), but the ex-husband alone made it worth my while...What a narcissistic nut job - LOL! A lot going "out" there, but definately NOTHING penetrating the void between his ears! Of course RC wove a great story as always ... But the Ex deserved an honorable mention!
K.
Anne OK
Another wonderful addition to the Virgin River Series. I am certainly eager for the next book to get another look at Conner and Leslie - their story ended much too quickly. Hoping that Conner's sister Katie and her twins make their way to Virgin River where she'll find a wonderful HEA as well. As with all the others, each visit to the little mountain town leaves me with a smile on my face.
Christine Ashworth
Three Virgin River books in three days. At first I considered them Nice Stories. By the time I was done with #3, I realized I was hooked. No pulse-pounding frights, no terrible, heart-wrenching scenes - just life, and hard decisions, and loving people in a small town. Gotta love it.
Janet
I posted this on the Book Lovers Message board earlier: "I was at Target yesterday, looking for some comfort reads, and I picked up the new Robyn Carr (Hidden Summit) and well, it was comfortable for sure. Like a pair of well-broken-in and enjoyed sneakers. Liked the H/h, fun to see old friends but about 2/3s through a biker stopped by and I thought, hmmm, new hero (or new potential hero pool to pick from?) and the hero's sister was in an iffy non-relationship. Well, before you can say or think...more
Leea
First off, i'm a huge fan of the Virgin River Series. I have enjoyed them all but having said that Hidden Summit didn't do it for me. The spark was missing between Conner and Leslie. The words were there but it lacked the feeling that i've come to know and love with reading this series.

What you do get is more into the lives of your favorite Virgin River characters - it's like a back country soap opra without all the plastic surgery and fake acting. This town stands together and they take care of...more
Redheads Review it Better
Another great, awesome, spectacular, amazing, marvelous, story. I really could go on and on with a bunch of words to describe what I think about this novel because I absolutely love Robyn Carr's books. I don't think she has written a bad one. I got my mom reading them and she asked me if I had a favorite. I made an unladylike sound then told her it was whatever book I was currently reading or just read. It is impossible for me to pick a favorite. They are all so fabulous!

So forgive me if I don't...more
Leslie
Grade: B+

When I read the blurb for Hidden Summit I was so thrilled to see a heroine with my name! I can't tell you how rare it is. I don't remember ever read a romance with a heroine named Leslie. But that's just a bonus since this is Robyn Carr's Virgin River series.

If you have to hide out, Virgin River, California isn't a bad place to do it. Conner Danson has lost everything and is now pretending to be someone else. I was expecting him to be a bitter recluse but he surprised me. He's friendly...more
Kimba
I pre-ordered Hidden Summit and was ecstatic when it appeared on my Nook Tablet. As I have stated before this is one of my favorite contemporary romance series. Carr has a gift for spinning delightful tales about this small California mountain town. Each time I visit, she brings fresh characters and a storyline that captures me from page one.

In Hidden Summit we meet two new strangers. First we meet, Leslie Petruso, who needs a fresh start after her divorce. She is a spunky blonde, who has no tro...more
Jess
I enjoyed this one despite the fact that the characters were new to the series. But I definitely fell in love with Connor from the first time he met with Brie, just her description of him was enough to make me happy. I also really liked Leslie, although I found her ex-husband to be really strange and a weird storyline it was still awesome to see her go after him with the fire extinguisher.

I was wondering how Carr was going to resolve the trial and the issues that would happen after (don't want...more
Jacqueline
I really enjoyed this right up until the end when the author dropped the ball and then went on ahead and kicked it into the next county. Big spoiler! (view spoiler)

Other than that the book was...more
SBooks
If you’ve read this far in the series then you probably know what to expect. Specifically, you get a feel-good romance, a nice community, some steamy scenes, great dialogue, and maybe sometimes characters who are too nice to be at all realistic.

This was a strong entry to the series – if nothing ground-breaking – with two really likeable, fun characters at the centre.

One of the best things was that Walt from A Summer in Sonoma made an appearance. Hope to see him back in the next book!

If you like...more
Beverly
I have never read a Robyn Carr book before, so I was going in with an open mind as a few of my friends love here books. I however, did not like this book what so ever! The plot was flimsy (it had its moments but not enough to keep me interested) and felt like a 1980 Harlequin that moved too fast.

The characters weren't written well and it felt like their were strangers to me. I prefer books where it feels like I've know the characters my whole life and reliving a memory of them.

I probably won't...more
Katy M
Wow. This one is about doing what's right- on many levels.

Wow. This one is about doing what's right- on many levels.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
Robin Carr is a fabulous storyteller. A storyteller draws you in, sometimes in spite of yourself. She makes you want to live in Virgin River, reminds you that people are at their best when they work together for the common good- not dependent but interdependent. She does all this while not romanticizing the difficulties of small town rural living....more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Jen
Book provided by Nancy Berland Public Relations for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

If you’ve read any of my other reviews of the Virgin River series, you know I’m a fan and count these books among some of my favorites. Hidden Summit is another solid addition to the series.

Warning… slight spoiler ahead (even though it is explained in the first chapter).

Hidden Summit opens with Connor entering the witness protection program after seeing a murder and agreeing to...more
Every Day Heroes 1 40 Feb 23, 2012 07:45AM
  • That Holiday Feeling (Includes: Virgin River, #8 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Summer Days (Fool's Gold, #7)
  • Where Azaleas Bloom (The Sweet Magnolias, #10)
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • On Lavender Lane (Shelter Bay, #3)
  • More Than Words, Volume 6 (Includes: Virgin River, #11.1)
  • Home Again (Chesapeake Diaries #2)
  • Return to Willow Lake  (Lakeshore Chronicles #9)
  • Holly Lane (Destiny, #4)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.
More about Robyn Carr...
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6) Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)