Start by marking “The Slayers of Seth (Amerotke, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Slayers of Seth (Amerotke, #4)

The Slayers of Seth (Amerotke #4)

The past comes to life once again in the fourth installment of this Ancient Egypt murder mystery series that the New York Times calls "resurrectionist magic!"

Lord Amerotke, Pharaoh's chief judge, is already in the midst of a murder case. A young, ambitious scribe, Ipumer-supposedly in love with the daughter of a powerful general-had hoped to become betrothed. Instead, he i
Published August 3rd 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Slayers of Seth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slayers of Seth

The Egyptian by Mika WaltariFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowRiver God by Wilbur SmithNefertiti by Michelle MoranThe Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
Best Egyptian Historical Fiction
39th out of 146 books — 366 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
266th out of 793 books — 931 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna Bergmark
Jul 17, 2016 Anna Bergmark rated it liked it
The mysteries of this series continues to be... I would like to use the Swedish word "snåriga", a combination of shrubby and complicated is the best translation I guess. I go on reading them though because I like the overall feel of the books, the details and the atmosphere. And even if they never seem to reach the 4 star waterline, they never really sink either and I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys both history and a bit of Agatha Christie like old fashioned unrealistic convoluted ...more
Marti Martinson
Dec 27, 2013 Marti Martinson rated it really liked it
Fourth one in the series that I have read. Again, consistent characterizations, descriptions, dialog, etc. Still unsure as to the historicity of evidence, testimony, and court procedures, however. The comic relief characters, Shufoy and Prenhoe, were toned down a bit and it was appreciated. Pace was much more smooth and fast than the other three (Anubis, Horus, and Sobek). The ending is NOT just with the solution to the murder. Doherty is clever, and the inclusion of the "List of Characters" ...more
Siegfried Gony
Vraiment très étayé, on apprend beaucoup à la lecture de ce roman de Paul Doherty, le maître du roman historique. L'empire vient réunir le royaume de basse et haute éguypte, Hatchepsout a vaincu les Mitanniens, elle étend son pouvoir du pays de Canaan aux confins du delta du Nil et jusqu'en Nubie. Mais les généraux de la victoire contre les Hyksos, 30 ans avant, sont soudainement assassinés, après le suicide d'un scribe chargé des mémoires de leurs faits d'armes...
Mais Amérotké est un juge probe
Melea
Jun 18, 2009 Melea rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
P.C. Doherty kept me guessing. I thought I had the crime figured out, but I was never sure because I couldn't grasp the motive. Of course, The Divine One, Hatusu's (Hatsupshet) chief judge, Amerotke, did grasp the motive. However, it wasn't revealed to the reader until the showdown in The Hall of Divine Justice. The showdown was a real page-turner!
Emily
Jul 26, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I thought it was pretty good. I think that this is one of the better ones of the series. Sometimes the way the books are constructed makes the stories seem repetitive but because the characters are interesting they are still enjoyable to read.
Penguin Tummy
Mar 22, 2015 Penguin Tummy rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Paul Doherty and this unexpected find at the op shop was great. The Chief Judge is as always thinking ahead and is a good man. I couldn't guess the killer until right near the end. His attention to the details of ordinary Egyptian life is amazing.
Melliemom
Feb 18, 2012 Melliemom rated it really liked it
Well written and very descriptive. I like the author sharing how the Egyptians lived and the different classes of people back then. Some of the murders are a bit gruesome and this time, there were so many extra characters and twists, I had a hard time trying to figure out who did it and why.
Joy
Mar 13, 2012 Joy rated it it was ok
In the reign of Hatshepsut a series of murders centers around a group of aging war heroes. The plot is complex and tragic, the visuals are vivid, but Doherty didn't make me feel with it in the least.
Sue
Sep 01, 2014 Sue rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book. It was too gory/explicit for my tastes (which, I admit, are somewhat mild).
Mortira
Oct 30, 2012 Mortira rated it really liked it
Shelves: egypt
The Slayers of Seth is a great little whodunit that keeps you guessing, while bringing to life both the beauty and hardships of Ancient Egypt.
Helopile
Helopile rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Les
Les rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Heather Cleary
Heather Cleary rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2009
Cori Foxworthy
Cori Foxworthy rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Peter Russell
Peter Russell rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Sevda
Sevda rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2011
Jane Green
Jane Green rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Nikolay
Nikolay rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Erika-maye
Erika-maye rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2013
T.H. Paul
T.H. Paul rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Jeffrey Keeten
Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Lenča Krmíčková
Lenča Krmíčková rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Regina
Regina rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2008
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2008
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
  • Year of the Hyenas (Semerket, #1)
  • For the Love of Philae
  • Scroll Of Saqqara
  • Orphan Of The Sun
  • Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1)
  • The Anubis Murders
  • The Saint John's Fern (Roger the Chapman, #9)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

Amerotke (7 books)
  • The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1)
  • The Horus Killings (Amerotke, #2)
  • The Anubis Slayings (Amerotke, #3)
  • The Assassins of Isis (Amerotke, #5)
  • The Poisoner of Ptah (Amerotke, #6)
  • The Spies of Sobeck (Amerotke, #7)