Start by marking “The Green Hour: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Green Hour: A Novel
Preview

The Green Hour: A Novel

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  7 reviews

In this elegant and sensual novel, Frederic Tuten explores the ageless tension between a life of passion and a desire for ease. Set in Paris and New York, The Green Hour tells the story of Dominique, an art historian who struggles to choose between two men who embody the critical schism in her life: unquenchable idealism and material happiness.

The novel etches the career o

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2003 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Hour

Danine
The plot summary was promising but it was a no go for me. The story wanted to be sensually complex but fell flat. I thought the characters were trying to be in a parallel version of "Unbearable Lightness of Being" with a touch of Anais Nin's Djuna. The writing was too trite for the story. I was not convinced of the character's realism. The author has some good titles about other art history topics. I'll give those a try.
Cindyloo
I read this book quite by mistake. It somehow ended up in my reserved pile at the library, not sure if it was my mistake or the librarians. I found myself unable to identify with the main character's voice, or find her realistic. I could tell this was a book penned by a man, and the notion that the author has misguided insight into a woman's psyche, occurred to me more than once. The story itself is well rounded and has a satisfying ending, but not liking or relating to the main character, made ...more
David
A well written portrayal of a multi-dimensional commitment-averse woman and the several men in her life who each compliment a different side of her personality. Recommended to readers who enjoy literary interior fiction about relationships and the lives of academics.
Cynthia
Started off okay. Then I got irritated, but all in all, there was something there. Certain chapters, certain parts. The main character was such an idiot; it was really hard to see why she picked that doofus for her life-long, cannot forget love!
Soni
It took me a while to get into this book. I did like the relationship between the characters but I think you need to be an art lover to really appreciate the main characters thought process and I thought the ending seemed rushed.
Chrysauna
Living with and growing beyond obsessive romantic love is depicted in a very real way in this book.
Cheryl
I loved this because it's about an art historian.
Vania Sciolini
Vania Sciolini marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Cesar Ozaki
Cesar Ozaki marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
H.M
H.M marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Michelle Jackson
Michelle Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Saad Niazi
Saad Niazi marked it as to-read
Holly Cass
Holly Cass marked it as to-read
Deepika
Deepika marked it as to-read
Sarah Santoni
Sarah Santoni marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Roi
Roi marked it as to-read
Faye
Faye marked it as to-read
Kim Meyers
Kim Meyers marked it as to-read
Steve Elworth
Steve Elworth marked it as to-read
Shaunda-sekai Holloway
Shaunda-sekai Holloway marked it as to-read
Susan Mumpower-spriggs
Susan Mumpower-spriggs marked it as to-read
Ashanti
Ashanti marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Frederic Tuten is the author of Tintin in the New World, The Green Hour, and Self Portraits, among other fiction. He has received a Guggenheim fellowship and an American Academy of Arts and Letters Award for Distinguished Writing. He lives in New York City."
More about Frederic Tuten...
Tintin in the New World: A Romance Van Gogh's Bad Café: A Love Story Self Portraits: Fictions The Adventures of Mao on the Long March Tallien: A Brief Romance